Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300771 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2675 on: 22 February, 2012, 06:26:48 am »
Crikey, Gus, that's pretty fast!  I think I'm doing ok, and I haven't dropped 6kg yet!  But I am pleased with my progress. :)
Getting there...

jimbhoy

« Reply #2676 on: 22 February, 2012, 06:40:41 am »
A steady drop for me too, just delighted to be under 14st, the first time since i quit smoking  :thumbsup:

trixie

« Reply #2677 on: 22 February, 2012, 08:16:43 am »
A steady drop for me too, just delighted to be under 14st, the first time since i quit smoking  :thumbsup:

Well done! How long ago did you quit the smoking?

« Reply #2678 on: 22 February, 2012, 08:43:42 am »
The 1.5kg I'm down is from flu. Still feel rotten.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2679 on: 22 February, 2012, 08:59:05 am »
Happy with the way things are going. 112.2 this morning, and that wasn't a glitch. I got that three or four times. There was a glitch of 111.8 - the first sub-112 glitch I've had - but that can wait until next week. Another two good weeks and I'll be half-way towards my June target.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jimbhoy

« Reply #2680 on: 22 February, 2012, 08:59:20 am »

2 years ago this April, and i could still murder a smoke just now. Like most people i replaced the fags with biscuits and cakes  :P that's why i'm in this position just now.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2681 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:01:36 am »

2 years ago this April, and i could still murder a smoke just now. Like most people i replaced the fags with biscuits and cakes  :P that's why i'm in this position just now.

Blimey! You are doing brilliantly then. I gave up smoking nearly 26 years ago and I can't remember the urge to smoke carrying on more than a few weeks. Mind you, I was never a very heavy smoker. How long did you smoke for?

« Reply #2682 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:17:10 am »
Another pound or so. Slow and steady.
Actually, considering what we've been eating and drinking this week, I'm really quite pleased and surprised with that result. I suspect MrsC, who is rather shorter than me, does no exercise and eats pretty well what I do will not be so happy.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2683 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:30:05 am »
0.4kg off this week.  To be honest, I'd hoped for a bit more, after a.lot of riding and keeping well under goal.  But I'm satisfied with what I've done.  Need to keep going.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2684 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:32:13 am »

I'm looking forward to being able to say that.
Even then I would be 40% heavier than I was on the last occassion I knocked a coffin nail in.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2685 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:32:46 am »
Now at 7kg lost since Jan 1 which is more than the weight of my dog (and she's a heavy little thing when I pick her up to stop her launching herself at the postman). The downward progress continues but has slowed somewhat; that's OK, I know you always do very well in the first month and then it gets harder. Another 11kg to go overall. I'm hoping my German trip will help - although I shall be eating lots of cake, I'll probably end up with a significant calorie deficit each day because of the mileage and not having enough energy to eat a really big evening meal!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

jimbhoy

« Reply #2686 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:53:14 am »

Blimey! You are doing brilliantly then. I gave up smoking nearly 26 years ago and I can't remember the urge to smoke carrying on more than a few weeks. Mind you, I was never a very heavy smoker. How long did you smoke for?

I smoked (very heavily) a variety of legal and illegal substances for 24 years.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2687 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:55:56 am »
Two weeks off the bike, 1.5 weeks on holiday -> 3kg over my weight at the start of the year. :(  Time to really buckle down and control my diet.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2688 on: 22 February, 2012, 10:09:49 am »
I got up too late to weigh myself this morning, so I'll have to look when I get home tonight. Considering the amount of food I've eaten this week I'm not looking forward to the result :-\
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2689 on: 22 February, 2012, 10:21:44 am »
If you've been weighing in in the morning, better to do it tomorrow, so it is more comparable.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2690 on: 22 February, 2012, 10:43:38 am »
It seems to me that in some ways it's lots better to lose weight slowly than it is too quickly.

I don't know about others, but I get "comfortable" with a weight, which in my case has always been far too high. "110kg? That's really good - I used to be 120kg!" The important thing is to get comfortable with lower weights but without losing the ambition. It's about 25 years since I was 90kg but that's my target for the end of 2012. It's still overweight.

I'm not sure that what I'm saying means what I intended when I started this post. I think I know what I mean though!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2691 on: 22 February, 2012, 10:49:04 am »
I think you're decribing the fable of the hare and the tortoice with reference to weight loss. Is that what you meant?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2692 on: 22 February, 2012, 10:54:33 am »
It's about 25 years since I was 90kg but that's my target for the end of 2012. It's still overweight.

The lightest I've been as a parent is 68kg. I looked ill. BMI for that is 26.5.

I thought DrMekon looked a bit ill when I saw him last, with his low BMI thingy. But erm, it turned out he was ill.

Some people are meant to be skinny, some are not.

None of us, though, are meant to be fat, and that's what we're trying to shed.
I think you're decribing the fable of the hare and the tortoice with reference to weight loss. Is that what you meant?
That's how I read it. To give yourself time to acclimitise to being the size you are, to avoid complacency.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #2693 on: 22 February, 2012, 11:02:29 am »
After a year of my weight staying alarmingly stable, I weighed myself this morning and found that I'd dropped about 3kg in a week.  Now I have been not-entirely-trivially ill for a chunk of that, but it still seems barely plausible.  Are Wiis known for lying about such things?
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2694 on: 22 February, 2012, 11:02:35 am »
I can pull my jeans down without undoing the button!!!!

I think this might mean it's time to fish out the box of Size 16 clothing  ;D
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2695 on: 22 February, 2012, 11:05:42 am »
I think I meant that if you lose it too quickly you might well be more liable to put it back on again. I think my problem is bad habits, especially comfort eating in the evening. So far this year I've broken that habit. All my weight loss is a direct result.

Every day this year my daily food routine has been typically:-

Breakfast - bowl of porridge or cereal and a cup of tea or two.

11ses: a cup of coffee.

Lunch: three or four slices of bread with soup, some fruit and more tea. I might also have a bit of cake or a geobar.

Dinner: meat & three veg, something for afters which is normally more fruit. Sometimes, if Aunt Phyllis comes, we will have a proper "afters" of a pudding or a pie.

During a day's cycling there may well be more intake.

That's causing me to lose weight reasonably quickly, I think, but it's something I can keep up. If I went much below this, reducing portion size etc, it's something I would have to change again when I reach the target weight. I think the above is perfectly OK for keeping body & soul together and I'll maintain it as long as the weight is coming off. I'm not feeling hungry all that much - perhaps for the last hour or so before a meal, so I can hang on that long. What I'd dread is sitting down to a meal with portions so small that I'd still feel hungry when I finished.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2696 on: 22 February, 2012, 11:07:40 am »

I think this might mean it's time to fish out the box of Size 16 clothing  ;D

Congratulations! Are there photos?  :D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2697 on: 22 February, 2012, 11:24:14 am »
I think I meant that if you lose it too quickly you might well be more liable to put it back on again.

I agree. Also, if you try to lose it too quickly, you'll probably struggle to maintain the regime, get demoralised and be more likely to give up.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #2698 on: 22 February, 2012, 11:25:10 am »
After a year of my weight staying alarmingly stable, I weighed myself this morning and found that I'd dropped about 3kg in a week.  Now I have been not-entirely-trivially ill for a chunk of that, but it still seems barely plausible.  Are Wiis known for lying about such things?

I shed 2kg in four days when I had flu recently. It soon went back on though. Mostly dehydration, I think.

d.

citoyen

« Reply #2699 on: 22 February, 2012, 11:26:12 am »

Woo! Well done.

d.