Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300435 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2700 on: 22 February, 2012, 11:49:40 am »
After a year of my weight staying alarmingly stable, I weighed myself this morning and found that I'd dropped about 3kg in a week.  Now I have been not-entirely-trivially ill for a chunk of that, but it still seems barely plausible.  Are Wiis known for lying about such things?

I shed 2kg in four days when I had flu recently. It soon went back on though. Mostly dehydration, I think.

d.

When I was teaching, I lost 3 stone in 3 weeks as a result of having mumps. On the first day's illness, Mrs. Wow thought soup would be a good idea. The pain from my salivary glands was excruciating when faced with a bowl of Heinz tomato. For the whole of that period, I could hardly eat anything due to lack of saliva being produced, and I was running a really high temperature as well.

I shudder to think what would have happened to me if I'd been 12 stone at the start of the illness rather than at the end of it. It took quite a few months for me to recover properly and my salivary glands to start working again and at least a year before I stopped waking up in the night so drenched in sweat that we needed to change the sheets. Fortunately this didn't happen every night.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2701 on: 22 February, 2012, 12:48:32 pm »
Had 10 days of sopping wet nightsweats with my current bout of the flu. I've been sleeping on towels in an effort not to have to strip the bed in the night. Waking up with my whole head drenched in sweat in a new one for me. It's been grim.

simonp

« Reply #2702 on: 22 February, 2012, 01:58:34 pm »
Didn't have time to update the graphs before work this morning. Will do it when I get home after pubbe.

simonp

« Reply #2703 on: 22 February, 2012, 02:14:25 pm »
I've just seen another duplicate post in the weight reports thread. Only one post per user please! I am tempted to modify the code to ignore users who fail to respect this.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2704 on: 22 February, 2012, 03:37:24 pm »
I had mumps twice.  The doctors didn't believe it either.  In case you're worrying, my gonads are normal size and I have two children.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2705 on: 22 February, 2012, 08:05:48 pm »
Mrs. Wow was 5 months pregnant with our 3rd when I had mumps. Fortunately my gonads were unaffected, as was the foetus, which is now in the final year of its PhD. A little under 2 years after recovering from mumps, Mrs. Wow and I procreated for the 4th and final time.

trixie

« Reply #2706 on: 22 February, 2012, 08:27:29 pm »
Completely blown it this evening - found a box of forgotten After Eights from Christmas - they do go down so easily - even when you get to the 10th, 11th, 12th...  :-[

« Reply #2707 on: 23 February, 2012, 06:25:59 am »
Completely blown it this evening - found a box of forgotten After Eights from Christmas - they do go down so easily - even when you get to the 10th, 11th, 12th...  :-[

Today is a new day,  just carry on as you were before the lapse.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

essexian

« Reply #2708 on: 23 February, 2012, 08:27:24 am »
Put on 0.8kg this week: unsurprising as I was away on business for two days.... meals while away included a pizza, a cooked breakfast and a pasty for lunch, along with lots of cake  :(

Must try harder this week and even do some cycling!!!!!

« Reply #2709 on: 23 February, 2012, 11:35:39 am »
Didn't get a chance to weigh myself yesterday, so used Monday's weight. Weighed myself this morning - another kg down. That's 2.5kg since I got the flu.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #2710 on: 23 February, 2012, 11:38:14 am »
Dropping weight at a steady pace, down 15 kg since Jan. 1 and sticking to my diet : 2300 Kcal/day and plenty of vegetables.  :D :D
When I PM'ed you yesterday I had not seen your post -
Well done Sir - Keep it up :thumbsup:

« Reply #2711 on: 23 February, 2012, 12:45:02 pm »
Whoops, 78kg here.  :-[
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2712 on: 23 February, 2012, 03:46:49 pm »
Somehow I managed to lose 600g last week :) - I'm guessing the Ash Wednesday fast yesterday had something to do with that though.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

simonp

« Reply #2713 on: 24 February, 2012, 11:23:42 am »
Been towing a trailer a lot behind my Pompino this week, and maintaining a net calorie balance designed to have a static weight. This seems to be about right, my weight is stable. However, the flab has reduced a bit with the calories being controlled and the increased mileage.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2714 on: 24 February, 2012, 12:52:24 pm »
I'm reaching the danger zone of new year weight loss: when March comes round, it gets harder and I tend to lose interest. I'm hoping that acknowledging that before it happens might help me to avoid it this year.

Still aiming for 100kg by June.
Still aiming for 100kg by June....

simonp

« Reply #2715 on: 24 February, 2012, 10:36:24 pm »
Oops. Online shopping means I've ended up with two custard tarts and 3 yumyums to eat tonight. And I'm already 200 calories over. I wouldn't have bought them if shopping in a shop with such short dates.

Going on a club run tomorrow fortunately. Can burn it off.

« Reply #2716 on: 25 February, 2012, 10:56:55 am »
I'm 3.8 lbs down since Tues but I've got flu so I doubt it will last!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2717 on: 25 February, 2012, 11:10:48 am »
I'm 3.1kg down this morning :o - I think I should have drunk more on my ride last night  ::-)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

simonp

« Reply #2718 on: 25 February, 2012, 03:20:57 pm »
I did club run and some extra miles after. 3500 calories burned. Last five miles home into headwind and bonking.  :hand: Felt sick when I got off the bike. I didn't hold back on the hills and paid for it.

Re: (not really about) Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2719 on: 25 February, 2012, 06:47:11 pm »
Also better this week.  Despite the cakes brought by a friend over the weekend which he refused to take away with him, the curry on Sunday evening, and the M&S eat in for £20 Valentine's meal last night.

S

I noticed that Tesco's two dine for £10 offer was £15 during the Valentine's week despite the meal choices being the same. Did M&S also go for a similar cheeky price hike?
I think the two for £20 includes a little more than the two for £10.  The wine may be a better choice. We got a bottle of pink Cava and a small box of chocolates (which had nine chocolates in--how is that supposed to be romantic?)

S
We had the £10 option tonight (or rather, we had the main course and side dish--the pudding is for tomorrow and the wine has just gone into the rack).
The £10 is only two courses, not the three of the Valentine's dinner, doesn't have the chocolates and the wines are (I suspect) cheaper.  There was no Cava for instance/

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2720 on: 25 February, 2012, 07:19:17 pm »
Our 11ses stop included just a chocolate hobnob in the way of calories. The lunch stop was fairly carby, consisting of wild boar burger, chips and 2 pinds of "Goat's Leap" which caused some amusement to another customer when I ordered mine as "Go to sleep". I've had chicken & rice for dinner, so I would imagine that my 40 miles sn't really far enough to offset that lot.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2721 on: 25 February, 2012, 08:27:52 pm »
My fifty miler burned off 2,300 cals so I've still got a thousand in the bag after my evening Toad in the Hole (with just two sausages)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2722 on: 25 February, 2012, 08:31:29 pm »
In that case I may well have burned more than I ate.

According to this I burned 1934 calories.

http://www.bicycling.com/calorieresults/e83cc49425b25044a01a44a8ae2201ec

How many calories was our lunch? My two pints of ale must have been about 360 calories.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2723 on: 25 February, 2012, 09:45:40 pm »
Lunch I guessed at about 1000 calories for the food, I also had one orange juice.

My figures are from my HRM. I did go pretty fast to Marks Tey and after I left you I zoomed home so was probably working a bit harder for those 22-ish miles then when we were riding together.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

simonp

« Reply #2724 on: 25 February, 2012, 10:30:07 pm »
mfp reckons my 70 miles today was 3500 calories. The garmin says 3900. I am not sure which is more accurate but I used the smaller number.