Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300640 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2900 on: 22 March, 2012, 10:20:55 am »
10kg in total today for me. Time for some celebratory cake (will do so with Wowbagger on Wednesday, I believe, after a bit of Tchaikovsky trio).

I think I have another 10 or so to go in order to get to a size which I think works OK for me. That would still be over my recommended BMI but I think it'll do. I imagine it'll take more than another 3 months to manage, although the warm weather which is conducive to cycling is helping me a lot at the moment.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2901 on: 22 March, 2012, 10:23:54 am »
Well done! :D
Getting there...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2902 on: 22 March, 2012, 10:27:49 am »
It's an interesting exercise in déja vu as ten years ago I lost 8 st 2 lbs over about ten months (and kept it off for almost five years!). That was in the olden days when I used WeightWatchers' 123-Success-2000 CD-Rom which involved turning on the computer in the Study, firing up the program, putting the CD in, searching for the items... the App on my iPhone in my pocket with the barcode scanner, and the thousands of people adding all the foods to MFP, makes everything SO much easier!

I can conclude that food diary tracking definitely works for me in reducing the ridiculous amount of snacks and treats I eat if I'm not paying attention. The effect does wear off eventually, though, when I hit maintenance weight, so I need to have a think about how to deal with this when the time comes.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2903 on: 22 March, 2012, 10:45:55 am »
Food diary tracking has perhaps been working too well for me - I often find myself in M&S covetously browsing the cream cakes aisle, but then looking at the nutrition info on the packaging and recoiling in horror.... I've conditioned myself to resist. Which is obviously A Good Thing. Up to a point.

Thing is, I've been feeling a bit feeble for the last couple of days and put it down to general tiredness, but it occurred to me yesterday evening that it's actually more likely down to not eating enough.

So I had a big dinner last night (nowhere near simonp's 5,000 calories but I made sure I used up nearly all my mfp calorie quota - the details are there if anyone's bored enough). And this morning...

Felt like I had rockets in my legs. New PB on the commute.  :thumbsup:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #2904 on: 22 March, 2012, 10:53:25 am »
The result of yesterday's food is a weight today of 71.5kg, and last weekend my lowest was 68.7. I fluctuate with the best. A lot of it will be down to the size of the meal I had (nachos and mixed grill at The Snug Bar in Cambridge) still being inside my gut. I was struggling to cycle home because I couldn't bend over the bars properly.  :facepalm:

300k this weekend so I reckon I can shift it. :)

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #2905 on: 22 March, 2012, 10:55:18 am »
Finally updated my weight, still on track downwards goal number 2. It's been another good week with a good loss.
Now I can't wait to get out and ride some lumpier bits in the area; so I can build some strength and stamina.

« Reply #2906 on: 22 March, 2012, 10:57:04 am »

I’m almost at maintenance now so not bothering with MFP so much
We know! It told us to encourage you! ;D
[/quote]

I'm quite glad that you didn't (as far as I know!)  :D

Food diary tracking has perhaps been working too well for me - I often find myself in M&S covetously browsing the cream cakes aisle, but then looking at the nutrition info on the packaging and recoiling in horror.... I've conditioned myself to resist. Which is obviously A Good Thing. Up to a point.

Yes, that is me, quite often, I practically throw stuff back onto the shelves in horror. It can be pretty joyless and lead to the tiredness problems you describe, which is also partially why I backed off MFP for a bit. I can be obsessive when the mood takes and it does rather encourage that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2907 on: 22 March, 2012, 11:05:28 am »
I realised as I was queueing at the garage/M&S (to buy a yoghurt!) that I hadn't really noticed the large racks of chocolate and other sweets.  I think that's from an increased awareness of calories.
Getting there...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2908 on: 22 March, 2012, 01:26:17 pm »
i watched this film yesterday and found it interesting - it answers the question why it's not easy/simple to lose weight:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01dzfgb/Horizon_20112012_The_Truth_about_Fat/

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2909 on: 22 March, 2012, 01:29:33 pm »
Comment from one of my staff, watching me eating cheese, salad & hummus in pittas: 'You really make an effort with your food, don't you?'

I think she was being supportive ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #2910 on: 22 March, 2012, 02:47:36 pm »
LOL Clarion, what does she eat then? Cheese/hummus/salad pittas are v yum, but if what is in effect a cheese sandwich is making an effort with food what on earth is she eating?!?!

My diet is going well, kind of ok I guess. I'm not getting much downward movement, seeming almost impossible now but I have lost a few centimetres which is helping pacify me.

Still on about 2100-2300 a day, and last week I did 28 hours of exercise so not sure what else I can do really. Very envious of people who pack away 3000+ calories a day for a couple of hours of exercise a day. One of my friends is smaller than me, eating 3500 cals a day and runs 50 miles a week (so ave of not much more than an hour a day!)

I guess a point comes when its necessary to think about what's realistic. I'm never going to be a skinny- my BMI is 21.5 so perfectly healthy but its just frustrating that there is still a bit to come off that I think would make me faster.

Looks like some people on here are having good losses so so v well done :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2911 on: 22 March, 2012, 02:53:52 pm »
I've been overweight since my teens, when i took masses of steroids in order to survive.  Throws everything out, especially at that point in life.  It's taken years of effort (literally), but I've got down to the lightest I've ever been as an adult, and I don't think I'm going to lose an awful lot more now.  I know others do more or less exercise, and eat more than me or less.  But I've realised I have to focus on what I need to do.  And it has been, and still is, hard.  But I'm getting there.
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #2912 on: 22 March, 2012, 02:55:25 pm »
21.5 is only a bit more than seems to be typical of world class cyclists, so not a big deal. You've lost cm though so probably have more muscle and less fat.

My BMI is currently 21.6 and most people seem to think I'm skinny.

« Reply #2913 on: 22 March, 2012, 03:55:18 pm »
i watched this film yesterday and found it interesting - it answers the question why it's not easy/simple to lose weight:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01dzfgb/Horizon_20112012_The_Truth_about_Fat/
That's interesting, thanks for the link.

I'm obese, and have been since I (first) gave up smoking in 1991. I wasn't for about 2 years during/soon after my marital breakdown, but even then I think my BMI was around 27.
It's lovely to daydream that it's 'just' a hormone problem and soon they will be able to synthesise the 'fullness' hormone and banish my issues forever. Doubt it, though.

I'm not losing at the moment, and that's probably because it's not working, so I'm not sticking to it very well, so it's not working....

Ahh well. Looking forward to the weekend so I can beat Simonp's gluttony PB by quite a long way.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2914 on: 22 March, 2012, 04:01:29 pm »
Don't lose sight of the fact many attractive people are within more wrapping than many un-attractive folk who have little packaging
 :)

« Reply #2915 on: 22 March, 2012, 04:05:20 pm »
Don't lose sight of the fact many attractive people are within more wrapping than many un-attractive folk who have little packaging
It's not about being attractive/unattractive. It's about 1000km, in That Scotland. The Snow Roads. The Midland Super Grimpeur. And my knees.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2916 on: 22 March, 2012, 04:08:37 pm »
Whilst that may well be true, jogler, I believe what fboab, who is already Officially_Fast, wants is to lose kg so that she can beat every boab-worder out there up every boab-wording hill in the boab-wording world.  Whilst singing (tunelessly, I'm told) to really rub salt in the wounds. And a mighty fine aspiration it is too.

ETA - x-post with herself ;)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2917 on: 22 March, 2012, 04:11:49 pm »
I see now.
Gotta be Audax Champion :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #2918 on: 22 March, 2012, 04:19:16 pm »
Whilst singing (tunelessly, I'm told)

We are swotting up on some excellent choons for midnight renditions. This week, Bollywood is featuring heavily  :thumbsup:

(sings)
"All izz well..."

simonp

« Reply #2919 on: 22 March, 2012, 04:23:50 pm »
Mental note: implement linear regression in teh graphs. Can't be hard.

(It's just RMS isn't it?)

simonp

« Reply #2920 on: 22 March, 2012, 04:25:30 pm »
It's not about being attractive/unattractive. It's about 1000km, in That Scotland. The Snow Roads. The Midland Super Grimpeur. And my knees.

The first and final 50k of the MSG 300 are flat.

Just means it's 4800m of climbing in the middle 200k.

« Reply #2921 on: 22 March, 2012, 04:34:11 pm »

The first and final 50k of the MSG 300 are flat.

Just means it's 4800m of climbing in the middle 200k.

We're only doing the middle 200

« Reply #2922 on: 22 March, 2012, 06:31:37 pm »
21.5 is only a bit more than seems to be typical of world class cyclists, so not a big deal. You've lost cm though so probably have more muscle and less fat.

I never get why my BMI is lower than yours, when I have actual blubber (at the moment) and you don't  :-\

« Reply #2923 on: 22 March, 2012, 06:44:09 pm »

I never get why my BMI is lower than yours, when I have actual blubber (at the moment) and you don't  :-\
Ladies are supposed to have some blubber.  :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #2924 on: 22 March, 2012, 06:45:46 pm »

That's easy- because BMI is just a guide. It doesn't take into account how much of your mass is muscle/fat/bone. Simon has a lower bodyfat than you. And so he should, you're female, and are 'supposed' to have more fat.
Stands to reason that of people with an identical BMI some of them will have more fat and some more muscle. Some will have heavier bones. A little old lady/ very sedentary person with my BMI would be HUGE as opposed to the LARGE of me. Some of my mass is muscle and bone that they wouldn't have.