Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300791 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2925 on: 22 March, 2012, 06:55:20 pm »
21.5 is only a bit more than seems to be typical of world class cyclists, so not a big deal. You've lost cm though so probably have more muscle and less fat.

My BMI is currently 21.6 and most people seem to think I'm skinny.

I never get why my BMI is lower than yours, when I have actual blubber (at the moment) and you don't  :-\
That's easy- because BMI is just a guide. It doesn't take into account how much of your mass is muscle/fat/bone. Simon has a lower bodyfat than you. And so he should, you're female, and are 'supposed' to have more fat.
Stands to reason that of people with an identical BMI some of them will have more fat and some more muscle. Some will have heavier bones. A little old lady/ very sedentary person with my BMI would be HUGE as opposed to the LARGE of me. Some of my mass is muscle and bone that they wouldn't have.

Ah that explains it, I definitely don't have all that much muscle. I aspire to being muscular rather than puny with blubber, but might have exactly the same BMI if I achieve that!

« Reply #2926 on: 22 March, 2012, 07:07:38 pm »
My weight loss seems to have slowed down over the last few weeks.But to be honest I am not that concerned,I'm feeling a lot stronger on the bike and riding about 150 miles a week.I will be doing longer rides now the Springs here and it will be interesting to see if my weight starts to fall when I have done a few long rides.

« Reply #2927 on: 22 March, 2012, 07:20:16 pm »
Don't lose sight of the fact many attractive people are within more wrapping than many un-attractive folk who have little packaging
 :)
It's not about being attractive/unattractive. It's about 1000km, in That Scotland. The Snow Roads. The Midland Super Grimpeur. And my knees.

I just don't want to be the ball 'n' chain on a tour we're doing in the summer, huffing and puffing and getting extra frustrated with Them Hills. I wasn't a very happy person on the Wales not the royal wedding trip last year, and it was partly because I was carrying extra weight roughly equal to one of the dog's mahoosive sacks of food, and by god I could feel it (even though it shows a bit less on me, being tall).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2928 on: 22 March, 2012, 07:36:32 pm »
21.5 is only a bit more than seems to be typical of world class cyclists, so not a big deal. You've lost cm though so probably have more muscle and less fat.

My BMI is currently 21.6 and most people seem to think I'm skinny.

I never get why my BMI is lower than yours, when I have actual blubber (at the moment) and you don't  :-\

He has a higher lean body mass than you have. I believe there are fundamental biological differences. I can explain via pm if you wish...

simonp

« Reply #2929 on: 22 March, 2012, 07:41:59 pm »
Male and female norms for body fat differ. I do have fat on me though. Just above my hips and on my
lower back, in the main.  When you used my bf scales your were in the female fitness range and I was in the male fitness range.

« Reply #2930 on: 22 March, 2012, 09:35:58 pm »
Male and female norms for body fat differ. I do have fat on me though. Just above my hips and on my
lower back, in the main.  When you used my bf scales your were in the female fitness range and I was in the male fitness range.

I think I was about 5kg lighter than my current weight at the time thobut!

simonp

« Reply #2931 on: 22 March, 2012, 09:57:23 pm »

I think I was about 5kg lighter than my current weight at the time thobut!

I was about 3.5kg lighter. I have higher body fat than then. The scales only give a rough idea of absolute levels anyway. The male fitness zone is about 14-17% fat and the female is around 18-24%.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2932 on: 22 March, 2012, 10:57:34 pm »
Women must have more fat because they have bigger brains.  O:-)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2933 on: 22 March, 2012, 11:00:36 pm »
Women must have more fat because they have bigger boobs.  O:-)

d.
FTFY

« Reply #2934 on: 23 March, 2012, 09:10:53 am »

Me too. Muffin tops and back fat are the correct terms, I believe. I still had it at the bmi 18.5 I was briefly last year. I suspect I'd need to do some core stability stuff to get rid, but ICBA.

More dicking about with my HRM and MFP showed that the 16-20mph category is way overestimating unless I try to keep my HR up around 75% of (calculated) MHR.

citoyen

« Reply #2935 on: 23 March, 2012, 10:57:23 am »
Women must have more fat because they have bigger boobs.  O:-)
FTFY

I'll be perfectly honest... that's what I was going to write originally.  ;D

d.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2936 on: 23 March, 2012, 05:02:58 pm »
I am carrying over two stones of blubber. My boobs account for <5% of that weight.
That makes them insignificant.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2937 on: 26 March, 2012, 08:48:47 am »
The following contains information that the discerning forummer might prefer not to assimilate over breakfast.

(click to show/hide)

I was mostly 108.8kg today.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2938 on: 26 March, 2012, 09:31:13 am »
According to myfitnesspal, I had a net deficit of over 3,000 calories yesterday. I think that means I'm technically dead.

d.

simonp

« Reply #2939 on: 26 March, 2012, 10:16:21 am »
It said 4900 for me on Saturday. Almost cancelled out the gluttony of the previous 6 days. Almost.

I’m 71.1kg today.

citoyen

« Reply #2940 on: 26 March, 2012, 10:27:16 am »
I tried to eat plenty yesterday but I could only manage about 4,500 calories. Even assuming MFP has overestimated my calorie expenditure on yesterday's ride by 20%, that's still a net deficit of around 1,500. My weight is unchanged over the weekend.

d.

« Reply #2941 on: 26 March, 2012, 11:39:33 am »
Give it time, my deficit on Saturday was nearly 5000 calories and yesterday I was 3kg heavier than before the 300k. This is normal for me after the longer rides.

citoyen

« Reply #2942 on: 26 March, 2012, 11:51:43 am »
I'm slightly surprised that my weight is exactly the same as it was before the ride (normally it fluctuates, up or down, by 2kg or more) but I'm not at all concerned about it.

I'm more surprised that I can burn that many calories and not feel hungrier than I did at the end of the ride yesterday. Had a baked potato and beans at the finish and it properly filled me up. Wasn't even tempted by the fine array of cakes on offer.

Having said that, I did just find myself looking at the clock and wondering why it isn't lunchtime yet...

d.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2943 on: 26 March, 2012, 01:56:53 pm »
I'm slightly surprised that my weight is exactly the same as it was before the ride (normally it fluctuates, up or down, by 2kg or more) but I'm not at all concerned about it.

I'm more surprised that I can burn that many calories and not feel hungrier than I did at the end of the ride yesterday. Had a baked potato and beans at the finish and it properly filled me up. Wasn't even tempted by the fine array of cakes on offer.

Having said that, I did just find myself looking at the clock and wondering why it isn't lunchtime yet...

d.

IME post-Audax hunger catches up big time on the Tuesday or Wednesday following a BBig Ride over the weekend.
Pls not to eat yr mother/spouse/offspring as a result.
Thx

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2944 on: 26 March, 2012, 02:38:03 pm »
I did, what was for me, a rather 'tough' bit of riding yesterday - over 70km at an average of over 25hph.  (*checks stats* that's the highest average I've had this year)

I thought I ate well to compensate yesterday, but today I am starving.  Had twice as much for lunch as planned (first lunch at 12:00 as I couldn't wait any longer) and I'm now hungry again.  Without leaving the office to buy more food, my choices are fruit and/or biscuits.  I'm afraid the fruit won't do the job and I'd easily eat a whole package of biscuits.  :-\
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

citoyen

« Reply #2945 on: 26 March, 2012, 02:50:10 pm »
I'm popping over to M&S shortly for a custard choux bun. They come in packs of two. Would you like to go halves to help me avoid eating both of them? Only 300 calories per bun!

d.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2946 on: 26 March, 2012, 02:52:54 pm »
I'm popping over to M&S shortly for a custard choux bun. They come in packs of two. Would you like to go halves to help me avoid eating both of them? Only 300 calories per bun!

d.

By the time I cycle over to wherever you are I'll probably be so hungry I'll take both.  :P

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2947 on: 27 March, 2012, 12:39:13 pm »

Chris S

« Reply #2948 on: 27 March, 2012, 12:40:33 pm »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2949 on: 27 March, 2012, 02:10:51 pm »
Why go to the shop when the milkman will bring you FREE Lindor truffles when you order more than £10 in one delivery? Code TREATME...

:demon: :demon: :demon: