Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1301566 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3400 on: 01 August, 2012, 06:32:21 pm »
I might have lost half a kg since my previous weigh-in.
Slow progress is not no progress.
Keep going everyone!!!

« Reply #3401 on: 02 August, 2012, 06:50:13 pm »
Still hovering around the 14 stone mark.
Considering the current lifestyle (secondment away from base has been extended again) that's not too bad.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3402 on: 08 August, 2012, 10:00:45 am »
I have lost a reasonable dollop (1.5kg) in the last week.Carefull consideration suggests that a diet of 200km onna Saturday with lots of ice-cream & subsequent gluttony of bread&butter pudding is the way forward. :thumbsup:

rr

« Reply #3403 on: 08 August, 2012, 11:40:33 am »
Dropped the glass scales yesterday so no figures for a few days.
Gained 1kg on Sunday due to massive overdose of salt at a barbecue at the inlaws. The salt and associated water is gradually coming out.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3404 on: 09 August, 2012, 10:30:54 am »
Still almost flat-lining, which is better than a massive increase, I suppose.

IN some ways it's encouraging because I'm feeling fat even though I haven't put on any weight since our June holiday.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3405 on: 13 August, 2012, 12:55:47 pm »
A week of sun, beer and slow riding with childers has done nothing for me. I blame the beer patisserie bread nutella Mrs Ernst.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3406 on: 13 August, 2012, 03:18:01 pm »
I've been away from home, away from the computer, and with a malfunctioning phone, so I've not been keeping track of my (excessive) calorie intake.  Also away from the scales, so I don't have a reading for last week.  Wednesday is likely to be a depressing day.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3407 on: 15 August, 2012, 01:57:34 pm »
no change

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3408 on: 15 August, 2012, 01:58:50 pm »
I actually lost 200g over the last two weeks, but I'm not sure how :-[

Getting there...

« Reply #3409 on: 16 August, 2012, 07:40:31 am »
Back (up) to where I was three weeks ago  >:(
The good news is that I may have finished the stint of being away three days a week with the consequential hotel breakfasts and pub dinners.
Oh, and that also means I may get some more cycling in.  :thumbsup:

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3410 on: 17 August, 2012, 04:38:21 pm »
Back from my adventures last night (last day of proper cycling was Sunday).  Instead of getting on the scales I had a very late meal - after 23:00.

Got on the scales this morning and weighed in at 3kg less than my last official weigh-in. Even at work today a number of people had commented that it was apparent I had lost weight.  :thumbsup:  I assume at some point a few days ago I weighed even less.

Only 0.5kg off my target which I should be able to manage if I'm sensible.  No bets, please!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3411 on: 17 August, 2012, 04:39:47 pm »
Kinda plateau'ed over the last week or so, but it's started gradually trickling down again.

Was 213 lbs this morning, my lowest so far.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3412 on: 17 August, 2012, 05:19:46 pm »
At the start of 2010, I was a shade under 90kg with a BMI of about 30 (borderline obese) - that was the point when I realised my weight was getting out of control and I had to do something about it.

I made a good start and by mid 2010 was down to slightly over 80kg, but then I stalled and hovered around the 80kg mark for the next 12 months. It was about this time last year that something clicked inside me and I started to take it a lot more seriously - I don't know what it was exactly, but I started to deeply want it. I mean, I'd been "wanting" to lose weight for the previous year and a half but not in the same way...

When I got on the scales on Wednesday morning, they said 66.0kg. I thought that can't possibly be right so I got off and got on again and they said 65.8kg! Third time, it was back to 66.0kg, but I'll take that - it's the lowest my weight has been probably since my early 20s. It's my 40th at the end of this year and I'm pretty confident that I'll have reached my ultimate target of 64kg by then (BMI of 20.66) - tbh, I don't think I want or need to go any lower than that.

I know a lot of you find shedding the pounds really hard and I don't want to sound like I'm gloating, but I can assure you it hasn't been easy for me to achieve this and I'm bloody proud of myself. And I am sympathetic to all of you who are struggling, honest!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3413 on: 17 August, 2012, 05:24:21 pm »
Well done citoyen!
I'd love to be 66kg but don't have as far to go as you did.
I'll get weighed sometime...

« Reply #3414 on: 17 August, 2012, 05:24:52 pm »
That's fantastic Citoyen.

citoyen

« Reply #3415 on: 17 August, 2012, 05:39:46 pm »
Thanks! I only checked the numbers because a colleague was asking me earlier how much I'd lost and I'd forgotten it was ever as high as 90kg. But looking up my records reminded me of getting on the scales just after Christmas 2009, seeing that I'd broken through the 14 stone barrier and feeling pretty low because of it. Mind you, the latter half of 2009 was a pretty bad time for me and I think I'd put on quite a lot quite quickly - I'd been not much over 13 stone just a few months before that.

d.

« Reply #3416 on: 17 August, 2012, 06:11:47 pm »
I guess like most, I could eat and drink what I liked with with gay abandon up to my mid-thirties, and even if I did gain weight, could shed it quite quickly. Roll on ten years, and it's not so blinkin' easy, is it? Due to being time rich/cash poor I began making homebrew at the beginning of the year, so was able to neck quite a lot of it without having to worry too much about hangovers. I pretty much stopped exercising at the same time, gaining a stone in three months (pushing me from 60 to 67kg) and it's become an absolute bugger to shift, and I was developing a little pot belly for the first time. The cycling helps (by cranking up the mileage so that each ride is further than the last - pushing my metabolism up post-ride  - with the result that each 'hard' ride I do appears to remove a pound of blubber). But my attitude has always been 'ride to get fit and diet to lose weight', so I'm giving the IGF-1 reduction/heavily reduced calorie diet a whirl. 500kcals or less twice a week, and eat what I like on the other days, as demonstrated on Horizon the other day (haven't seen it yet mind, but have known about the diet for a while).  TBH I'd love to get back down to a 'race weight' of 58Kg, but I suspect those days might be over. First target is 63Kg when my abdominal muscles reveal themselves once again. Problem is, I've still got a few gallons of homebrew tucked away!

I've noticed that 1Kg weight loss seems to equate to using 1 sprocket higher on the back for the same bit of road. (Either that, or I'm getting fitter!)

That's some mean weight loss, Citoyen. I think it shows that the self-denial you've demonstrated is not down to 'willpower', more like 'desirepower'. Do you want it Sir? Do you? Do you? Do you want it? Sort of thing

A lot has to do with vanity of course, and even just being a stone overweight, makes me feel old and sluggish (and correspondingly a bit depressed), so my 'driver' or motivation is to maintain a feeling of youthfulness.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3417 on: 17 August, 2012, 06:31:20 pm »
Do you want it Sir? Do you? Do you? Do you want it?

OOH! Suits you, sir!

Congrats, Citoyen, great stuff. Keep up the good work, and keep enjoying the rewards :)

« Reply #3418 on: 17 August, 2012, 06:58:01 pm »
I never made it to my mid thirties before finding it hard!!!

I went to look at my extremes after reading Citoyens posts. Taking pregnancies out of the equation, I've been everything from quite overweight at 11.12, Actually I think that's very close to obese at my height (that was just after uni) to very underweight at 5.12 (2004)

Now I'm at a healthy weight of just under 9 stone, BMI 20 or 21 I think but I do have some weight to lose. I've just never quite been able to get it right lol but at least I'm now in a healthy ballpark and seem to have some sort of a grip on it.

Been pretty stable for a couple of weeks, I don't have it in me at the moment to make a conscious effort to lose any, even though the figures say I should be. I'll be happy enough to just maintain for a month or so as I don't think my body can cope with any more stress. I'll have to be careful and keep my snout out of chocolate boxes, but not starve myself either

citoyen

Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3419 on: 17 August, 2012, 08:06:03 pm »
That's some mean weight loss, Citoyen. I think it shows that the self-denial you've demonstrated is not down to 'willpower', more like 'desirepower'. Do you want it Sir? Do you? Do you? Do you want it? Sort of thing

Heh. Yes, definitely. I think it's not so much wanting to lose weight (we all want that) but wanting to do the things we need to do to lose weight, if you get my drift. I've got on well with myfitnesspal because I'm the kind of boring sod who enjoys tedious data logging/analysis jobs, but I can well understand why others haven't found it such a useful tool. And it needs to be a high priority in your life, which isn't always possible for many and various reasons, as I know I don't need to tell anyone here.

d.

citoyen

« Reply #3420 on: 17 August, 2012, 08:10:05 pm »
Btw, Goldilocks has reminded me of the Rimmer quote sampled in the intro of Carter's Surfin USM...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8l6vTw97QWs&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8l6vTw97QWs&rel=1</a>

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3421 on: 18 August, 2012, 09:26:07 am »
Well Rogerzilla's relentless nocturnal pace across the Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Godknowswhereelseshire countryside has, at least, helped me to shift a particularly niggling plateau:

Boom! Happy Chris.

citoyen

« Reply #3422 on: 18 August, 2012, 11:59:38 am »
A stone? That's nearly an armful!

Well done!

d.

simonp

« Reply #3423 on: 18 August, 2012, 03:38:16 pm »
Since 2006 and my first audax ride my weight has ranged between 67kg - about 10.5 stone - and 75kg - about 12 stone, which was late 2009. What has changed since that peak is I've watched what I eat which I never really did properly before. It's when my activity levels drop that I need to watch out.

What has really changed though is body composition. I'm down from approaching 20% body fat, to consistently around 15-16%. So my muscle mass is greater than in 2006, despite losing weight.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3424 on: 20 August, 2012, 09:19:11 am »
Oi! Who broke in to my flat while I was on holiday and let out the waist on some of my trousers?  I nearly ran out of holes on my belt this morning.  >:(

;D ;D ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: