Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300736 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3475 on: 06 September, 2012, 08:22:54 am »
At the moment I'm reading Dr. Steve Peters'* book.  It's the first "self help" book I've ever read and I think it's chuffin' brilliant.  What fboab, Mr Metcalfe and Ham are describing (very neatly I should add) is Steve's Chimp Paradox.  I would recommend the book to anyone, we can all learn something.  My copy cost about £7 on Kindle.

* In case you don't know, he's the clever bloke who has worked with the Team Sky and British Cycling squads including Wiggo, Sir Chris and Vicky Pendleton who said:

Steve Peters is the most important person in my career.

LEE

« Reply #3476 on: 06 September, 2012, 11:13:03 am »
At the moment I'm reading Dr. Steve Peters'* book.  It's the first "self help" book I've ever read and I think it's chuffin' brilliant.  What fboab, Mr Metcalfe and Ham are describing (very neatly I should add) is Steve's Chimp Paradox.  I would recommend the book to anyone, we can all learn something.  My copy cost about £7 on Kindle.

* In case you don't know, he's the clever bloke who has worked with the Team Sky and British Cycling squads including Wiggo, Sir Chris and Vicky Pendleton who said:

Steve Peters is the most important person in my career.

A quick Google on Steve Peters Chimp Theory confirms that, indeed, I have a chimp in my head.  Possibly a female one...to be confirmed.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3477 on: 06 September, 2012, 11:22:32 am »
We all have a chimp, but according to Dr Peter's theory that's not all bad - hence the paradox.  The trick is learning to manage your chimp.

LEE

« Reply #3478 on: 06 September, 2012, 11:26:55 am »
We all have a chimp, but according to Dr Peter's theory that's not all bad - hence the paradox.  The trick is learning to manage your chimp.

Will spanking the monkey help at all?  I'm willing to try it if it helps.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3479 on: 06 September, 2012, 11:30:30 am »

Will spanking the monkey help at all?  I'm willing to try it if it helps.

I think you might be missing the point  ;D  And I think you might need to read a different book.  Or perhaps you already have!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3480 on: 06 September, 2012, 11:34:11 am »
So this genius comes up with the idea of a chimp in your head.  Is this in any way related to the Monkey Mind described by Gautama Buddha about 2500years ago?  #pluscachange
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3481 on: 06 September, 2012, 11:41:11 am »
So this genius comes up with the idea of a chimp in your head.  Is this in any way related to the Monkey Mind described by Gautama Buddha about 2500years ago?  #pluscachange

Not a clue.

I don't think Peter's ideas are revolutionary, it's all common sense really.  However, it's how he presents the ideas that's clever.  The chimp, the human and the computer are just his names for parts of the human brain.  He uses these analogies to clearly explain what goes in in all our heads and what we can do about it.

LEE

« Reply #3482 on: 06 September, 2012, 12:42:14 pm »

My first thought when I heard about the chimp quote was "I can't believe it's not Buddha"

Now then...where's my hat and coat?

Actually it doesn't matter to me who thought of it, assuming it's the same thing.  There are very few original thoughts (See: YACF Forum) just useful and not so useful ones.

I'll be reading up on it to see if it helps.  My inner chimp made me eat a Harvest Crunch bar at lunchtime.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3483 on: 06 September, 2012, 12:43:56 pm »
;D ;D ;D
Getting there...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #3484 on: 06 September, 2012, 12:56:20 pm »
Monkey? Or Pigsy?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JNIXkMgPFjE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/JNIXkMgPFjE&rel=1</a>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3485 on: 06 September, 2012, 10:05:11 pm »

My first thought when I heard about the chimp quote was "I can't believe it's not Buddha"

I wish I'd said that.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3486 on: 07 September, 2012, 09:26:05 am »
Fast day today. Sods law being what it is, Chris fasts for a day and sheds kilos, I fast for a day and gain 200g.
I come from a family of short, round people. Figures that resemble an overfed robin.

Some wierd gene thingy has meant that I've been skinny most of my life (until recently when I hit BMIs in the high20s).

But dad. Oh, poor dad. He wanted to be a jockey. He did manage to ride in some races, dieting down to 64kg, but that was a starvation diet. On the morning of one race he was weighed in - triumph, underweight by 250gm! So he can stave of dehydration by drinking 200ml of orange juice.

Next weighing he was several hundred grams over . . . .

You know how some bikes attract the Pun*ture Fairy?  I think some people attract the F*t Fairy. It's a miserable, sardonic git of a thing, whose sole pleasure is sneaking up on people and implanting fat by a sort of reverse liposuction.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3487 on: 07 September, 2012, 09:50:01 am »
You know how some bikes attract the Pun*ture Fairy?  I think some people attract the F*t Fairy. It's a miserable, sardonic git of a thing, whose sole pleasure is sneaking up on people and implanting fat by a sort of reverse liposuction.

Er, yeah. She lives in cakes, sweets and chocolate and wheedles her way in?

Nice try mrc, but it really is calories in vs calories out. I put more in than I put out. Which is quite astonishing given how much I put out (pun intended).

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3488 on: 07 September, 2012, 10:02:58 am »
but it really is calories in vs calories out.

Carved into tablets of stone.

I could do with a cigarette substitute that doesn't taste or smell of cigarettes.Nor all the other associated health risks.Cigarettes were, for me,the most effective fasting technique.
When I was smoking I ate much much less than I do now & virtually no cakes,crisps,biscuits etc.

LEE

« Reply #3489 on: 07 September, 2012, 08:29:53 pm »

I could do with a cigarette substitute that doesn't taste or smell of cigarettes.

Fellatio?

YHPM

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3490 on: 07 September, 2012, 08:36:03 pm »

I could do with a cigarette substitute that doesn't taste or smell of cigarettes.

Fellatio?

YHPM

Mind bleach now!  :o
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3491 on: 09 September, 2012, 09:56:35 pm »
Paul Metcalf isn't really LEE, but Flatus reborn?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #3492 on: 11 September, 2012, 01:59:06 am »

I could do with a cigarette substitute that doesn't taste or smell of cigarettes.Nor all the other associated health risks.Cigarettes were, for me,the most effective fasting technique.
When I was smoking I ate much much less than I do now & virtually no cakes,crisps,biscuits etc.

See My signature banner thingy about Vaping. I am currently taking my nicotine in a watermelon flavour and it does seem to be helping me to eat (Slightly) less.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3494 on: 11 September, 2012, 01:25:48 pm »
I read that earlier, and thought about linking it to the thread on alternate day fasting.  There may be something in it.
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #3495 on: 11 September, 2012, 02:57:26 pm »
I read that earlier, and thought about linking it to the thread on alternate day fasting.  There may be something in it.

It was one of the more compelling points raised in the original TV programme. Mice, genetically engineered to get early-onset dementia were tested on ADF, and calorie dense diets. Those on ADF lasted much much longer than the control, and those that had fructose rich diets succumbed much sooner.

ETA: Scary figure from USA - "The average American consumes roughly 47 pounds of cane sugar and 35 pounds of high-fructose corn syrup per year, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3496 on: 11 September, 2012, 04:11:48 pm »
And I imagine our consumption is approaching that level.
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #3497 on: 11 September, 2012, 04:41:50 pm »
And I imagine our consumption is approaching that level.

Dunno. The farming lobby in the USA did a very good job of getting HFCS into everything over there, probably more so than we have to put up with here.

Chris S

« Reply #3498 on: 12 September, 2012, 08:54:04 am »
ADF can be hard work, especially when combined with a lot of cycling, but it certainly seems to have helped kick me off the plateau I was on.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3499 on: 12 September, 2012, 10:50:11 am »
ADF can be hard work, especially when combined with a lot of cycling, but it certainly seems to have helped kick me off the plateau I was on.

Good luck to you! I imagine it's very effective if you can keep it up - I know I would find it intolerably difficult.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."