Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300376 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3600 on: 12 December, 2012, 12:43:13 pm »
Well, I'm done for the year. I appear to have just about achieved my tertiary adjusted objective which, despite the apparent off-the-end-ovva-cliff of the graph (a factor of it's limited time segment) sees me exit the year almost exactly the same weight as I came in. All in all, I'm happy with that.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3601 on: 15 December, 2012, 10:21:36 am »
12lb off since I started swimming. I'd like to make it the full stone by the end of the year so I can tell the surgeon, but given it's nearly Christmas, I'm not hopeful.  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #3602 on: 15 December, 2012, 10:24:26 am »
Well done EG. Have you changed your diet, too, or is it just the extra exercise do you think?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3603 on: 15 December, 2012, 10:31:49 am »
It's seasonal meal and party time. I've been to two meals this week, have another meal tomorrow and a party on Monday.
I might revert to sensible eating after that.
No recent weigh-ins...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3604 on: 15 December, 2012, 10:45:23 am »
Well done EG. Have you changed your diet, too, or is it just the extra exercise do you think?
I'm trying to restrict cakes and chocolate to the weekends only.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #3605 on: 15 December, 2012, 11:59:09 pm »
Very tiny weight loss for me at 0.8kg. Still, better than 0.8kg up I suppose. 127.9kg now.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3606 on: 16 December, 2012, 02:26:51 pm »
Well done.
Getting there...

« Reply #3607 on: 16 December, 2012, 03:17:19 pm »
I'll start next year, no point starting now, too much food and booze  :demon:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3608 on: 16 December, 2012, 08:01:09 pm »
I'm off the booze but the food's another matter.
Won't bother weighing myself for a while; might be quite late in January as I have two 'club meal' events and three hotel nights that month.

« Reply #3609 on: 16 December, 2012, 10:03:30 pm »
I'm standing firm till we go North, and then a week of watchful indulgence, followed by a week of high mileage (weather permitting) or lots of swimming, and I hope to keep my slow progress over the 12 days of feasting. Staying on the wagon can't hurt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3610 on: 16 December, 2012, 10:34:45 pm »
Suspect if I'm 'sensible' between seasonal pig-outs, I'll not gain much weight, if any. I've eaten nothing since today's turkey lunch; nor has David.

Camden Cyclists have their seasonal celebration tomorrow. I've ordered lots of food and drink for all...

« Reply #3611 on: 17 December, 2012, 12:01:15 am »
I may even try some cycling next year to aid some weight loss, I think I have a bike somewhere!

« Reply #3612 on: 17 December, 2012, 07:44:25 am »
After a particularly silly evening on Saturday, MrsC and I have decided that SOMETHING MUST BE DONE about the amount we're drinking.  Let's hope we can stick to this cutting back over the festivities--or at least the quiet times between the main events--and get back onto a proper regime from the new year.  That will give us three wins: not drinking as much will be a gain in itself, should help with the weight loss, and we might save a bob or two as well.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Chris S

« Reply #3613 on: 17 December, 2012, 09:58:36 am »

« Reply #3614 on: 17 December, 2012, 10:10:49 am »
Dry January?

That's what I'm planning with the caveat that I'll have a pint on the New Year's day ride and I'll break the fast at the bike group's end of January do.
See ? It's the cycling that makes me drink  ;)

When I did it a couple of years ago, I didn't feel any better, I didn't lose any weight and, if I saved some money, I didn't notice.

Chris S

« Reply #3615 on: 17 December, 2012, 10:13:16 am »
When I did it a couple of years ago, I didn't feel any better, I didn't lose any weight and, if saved some money, I didn't notice.

That's interesting - whenever I stop drinking for a while, I lose weight right from the start. Probably depends on how much you drink, what you drink, and how it fits in to everything else you eat, drink and do.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3616 on: 17 December, 2012, 10:39:11 am »
I've discovered a gauranteed way of losing 1kg per week.
Illness.
Not pleasant but it is effective.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3617 on: 17 December, 2012, 12:47:41 pm »
I've discovered a gauranteed way of losing 1kg per week.
Illness.
Not pleasant but it is effective.

It might be effective but much of weight lost in illness is muscle, not fat.
This muscle and strength take a long time to recover.
GET WELL SOON!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3618 on: 17 December, 2012, 03:39:15 pm »

This muscle and strength take a long time to recover.

Yes indeed.I don't have the wherewithall to walk upstairs normally atm so the notion of riding 200km is a fantasy.Being unable to ride 200km ,effectively precludes any possibility of achieving long held ambitions.
It's going to be a long road back & it can't even begin yet.

thanks for the well wishes

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3619 on: 17 December, 2012, 04:17:16 pm »
I lost much weight when I had pneumonia and felt somehow I couldn't contemplate cycling until I'd regained about half my weight loss; That was about right and I became much stronger after that.
Enjoy the Feastive Season without guilt and restart exercise when you're only a few pounds short of your premorbid weight.
Don't contemplate further weight loss until you feel well.
Being a bit overweight is not usually that harmful to health; morbid obesity is another matter.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3620 on: 17 December, 2012, 04:19:15 pm »
When I did it a couple of years ago, I didn't feel any better, I didn't lose any weight and, if saved some money, I didn't notice.

That's interesting - whenever I stop drinking for a while, I lose weight right from the start. Probably depends on how much you drink, what you drink, and how it fits in to everything else you eat, drink and do.

I've never been one for total abstinence but I found that cutting out casual drinking made a big difference - ie I still have the occasional pub outing but I've cut out things like routinely having a beer when I get home from work of an evening. I would find total abstinence far too difficult to adhere to.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3621 on: 17 December, 2012, 04:35:52 pm »
I don't have the wherewithall to walk upstairs normally atm so the notion of riding 200km is a fantasy.

So concentrate, for the time being, on getting well enough to do the stairs.  That's enough to be going on with, sometimes.  Look after yourself, m'dear  :-*

« Reply #3622 on: 17 December, 2012, 05:38:30 pm »
I've never been one for total abstinence but I found that cutting out casual drinking made a big difference - ie I still have the occasional pub outing but I've cut out things like routinely having a beer when I get home from work of an evening. I would find total abstinence far too difficult to adhere to.

d.

I think the problem we have is that both MrsC and I could go total abstinence for a while, but what we want to do is a change to our regular habits.  "Moderation is true temperance" and all that. 
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3623 on: 19 December, 2012, 09:29:05 am »
As of Monday, I have started to 'underestimate' my exercise calories on MyFitnessPal.  I think that it allows too many calories for cycling, so, when I've ridden a significant distance, I could eat more than I need and it would still show as being under.  So this morning, fro example, I averaged 14.7mph, and, rather than logging that as '14-16mph', I've logged it as '12-14mph'.  Thus I have fewer calories showing, and less temptation to eat more.  I hope this works.  I think I've missed my target for the year.  Unsurprisingly, my weight has gone up this week, and is unlikely to drop again before New Year.
Getting there...

« Reply #3624 on: 19 December, 2012, 09:49:16 am »
I got a HRM last week, Clazza, and discovered the same- it seems I ride at 460kcal/hour on the tandem (we had guesstimated 500, mfp reckons even more), but my 30-40 minute ride to work is not the 350+ that endomondo was crediting me with, but a mere 200-250. A daily 30 minute session of circuit training is only (sob) 100-120 kcal.
I guess I smoulder rather than burn- RHR is about 45, (BP 110/55) and any raise through exercise very rapidly reverts to the mid 50s.

In my ongoing quest for the secret to weight loss, next year I'll be trying low carb. I'm not starting that in Mince Pie season though, that'd be torture.