Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300805 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3725 on: 17 January, 2013, 03:57:00 pm »
Another vote for go for it. When I first decided to do something about my weight (weighing in over 21st at the time (don't know how much more, that was the top of the scales :-[) I started with walking, but very quickly decided to try swimming.

I found the walk from the changing area to the pool terrifying, but once in the water it felt more comfortable as I could sort of hide my body under the surface. Soon I started to get more comfortable, especially as there were other fat people there swimming as well and it got easier to deal with, meaning I started to enjoy myself more. It's a shame there isn't really decent swimming provision round me at the moment.

Also individual weighings can be massively affected by salt intake, or even eating a meal later in the day so it isn't through the body by the time you go to weigh yourself. I've found it is a lot more comforting to record daily weights in a spreadsheet, and then use a 7 or 10 day rolling average weight to try and iron out the noise and show whether the weight is sensibly going up or down. (I had a range of about 2kg in my weighings last week)

I really advise reading this website, more specifically the 'signal & noise' and 'weight monitoring' sections: -
http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/

It's not a diet as such (though it does do some calorie counting if you read some of the later chapters - I haven't really), more an process monitoring approach to tracking weight loss.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3726 on: 17 January, 2013, 05:31:07 pm »
I might have to try swimming but when you have a body like mine, its hard to get it out in public!

Go for it. Completely agree with Butterfly. You have nothing to be ashamed of. IME, public swimming pools don't seem to attract the kind of body fascist idiots you get in gyms. And even if they did, fuck them.

Wowbagger, people will only get annoyed with you in public pools if you swim in the wrong lane (eg slow swimmer in fast lane) and thus get in their way. Follow the lane etiquette and no one will care what you look like.

d.

I was being literal. In my book if something is Great White Shark shaped it's probably a GWS (!) and i don't want to be sharing a pool with it.

Take it from me that I have no trouble whatever with body image and there are many photographs on websites showing me cycling around London with nothing on but a tilley had and some cycling mitts.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3727 on: 17 January, 2013, 05:56:42 pm »
I was being literal. In my book if something is Great White Shark shaped it's probably a GWS (!) and i don't want to be sharing a pool with it.

Fair enough.  ;D

Take it from me that I have no trouble whatever with body image

Indeed, I would have realised that if I'd thought it through.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3728 on: 23 January, 2013, 09:06:00 am »
In spite of a rather unhealthy (though fun) weekend, I've managed to get my weight back down, and to a new Wednesday low!  Not sure how I've managed it without cycling, but I'm not complaining.  I really do need to get my eating back under control, overall I'm eating too much and most of that is rubbish.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3729 on: 23 January, 2013, 09:42:59 am »
Up this week, which isn't surprising because my 25-mile-a-day cycling habit has dwindled to very little in the cold and ice.

I'm still lighter than I was this time last year, although not by as much as I would like.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3730 on: 23 January, 2013, 09:59:09 am »
Down ever so slightly.  I hope this is a trend.
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3731 on: 23 January, 2013, 10:10:19 am »
Didn't get chance to weigh myself this morning, so I'll update it tonight. After the week I've had I'm expecting an upward move though :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3732 on: 23 January, 2013, 11:27:21 am »
UP a poundish,  not really suprised with the total lack of cycling or walking,  need to improve my work/life/exercise balance.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

LEE

« Reply #3733 on: 23 January, 2013, 11:54:35 am »
I've found it is a lot more comforting to record daily weights in a spreadsheet, and then use a 7 or 10 day rolling average weight to try and iron out the noise and show whether the weight is sensibly going up or down. (I had a range of about 2kg in my weighings last week)

I think I'll start doing this, instead of a weekly panic/starve to make my target.  It will give a more realistic trendline.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3734 on: 23 January, 2013, 12:37:31 pm »
I'm up just over 1/2 a kilo, however I did weigh myself after breakfast...  :facepalm:

Will try again tomorrow morning, before breakfast this time.
Embrace your inner Fred.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3735 on: 23 January, 2013, 01:23:57 pm »
Same weight for last fortnight BUT I have lost my January kilogram.
If I just lose a kilo per month, I'll be two stone lighter by the end of the year.

My waist and hips are down another half-inch.
I think that's OK.

« Reply #3736 on: 23 January, 2013, 01:24:34 pm »
Static for the third week in a row.
But, I've not been on the bike since I last weighed, and we did have Pringles and chocolate cake over the weekend. This weekend it will be small packs of 'diet' snacks and crumpets. And with any luck the bike will be back out before next Wednesday.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

simonp

« Reply #3737 on: 23 January, 2013, 10:02:08 pm »
Last Wednesday, 73.1kg, Saturday 69.9kg, today 71.4kg. Change is the only constant.

Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3738 on: 23 January, 2013, 10:56:46 pm »
I've been in the hospital for tests. Hospital food doesn't agree with me. I'm now home and resting awaiting more tests. Oh joy.
According to hospital scales I put on 6kg between Friday and Monday.
I'll weigh myself tomorrow at home and see what they say I think!
I am not expecting a loss.
I am however feeling quite healthy. But I was feeling fine when they admitted me too.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3739 on: 24 January, 2013, 07:44:18 am »
Now lost 0.3kg compared to last week. Deffo have to weigh before brekkie...
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #3740 on: 24 January, 2013, 09:43:08 am »
I've found it is a lot more comforting to record daily weights in a spreadsheet, and then use a 7 or 10 day rolling average weight to try and iron out the noise and show whether the weight is sensibly going up or down. (I had a range of about 2kg in my weighings last week)

I think I'll start doing this, instead of a weekly panic/starve to make my target.  It will give a more realistic trendline.
rr's recommendation for Libra is worth trying. It reminds you to weigh before breakfast.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #3741 on: 24 January, 2013, 01:33:54 pm »
Last Wednesday, 73.1kg, Saturday 69.9kg, today 71.4kg. Change is the only constant.

I think the only time I've ever seen my weight change that rapidly was a couple of weeks back when I had The Lurgy (I'm now trying hard not to reacquire the lost weight!).

A bit more variance would be encouraging...
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3742 on: 24 January, 2013, 01:46:32 pm »

I think the only time I've ever seen my weight change that rapidly was a couple of weeks back when I had The Lurgy (I'm now trying hard not to reacquire the lost weight!).

Mine did almost exactly what simonp's did in the week following a 300k I completed whilst I had a chest cold. CBA to look for my records but 69.9 ->74 ->71kg in  around 8 days rings a bell.

« Reply #3743 on: 24 January, 2013, 05:16:40 pm »
I can recommend the norovirus diet, if you don't mind feeling like shit and evacuating projectile liquids from every orifice like something out of the exorcist  :sick:

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #3744 on: 24 January, 2013, 05:17:51 pm »
I can recommend the norovirus diet, if you don't mind feeling like shit and evacuating projectile liquids from every orifice like something out of the exorcist  :sick:

That's precisely the one I've been... er... trying.  Very trying.

But now I'd like to find a less traumatic way to lose a few more pounds!
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3745 on: 26 January, 2013, 01:28:15 pm »
I'd lost 12lb up to Christmas, put 3lb on over Christmas (trifle and Celebrations for breakfast  :D ) lost those 3 by mid January and now another 2lb gone so that's my first stone gone.

Also, there was one day the other week when I got home from work knackered and very hungry but I needed to just sit and decompress before I could think about making dinner - but I was very hungry - and instead of going for the Hotel Chocolat box in the cupboard, I had carrot sticks and hummus. Shrinking Thinking really is helping me reach for the chocolate as an automatic response.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

simonp

« Reply #3746 on: 26 January, 2013, 02:52:38 pm »

Mine did almost exactly what simonp's did in the week following a 300k I completed whilst I had a chest cold. CBA to look for my records but 69.9 ->74 ->71kg in  around 8 days rings a bell.

And today 70.2kg.

« Reply #3747 on: 26 January, 2013, 03:37:14 pm »
Shrinking Thinking really is helping me reach for the chocolate as an automatic response.

cool. well done.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3748 on: 26 January, 2013, 04:33:56 pm »
I think I missed the word not out of that sentence!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #3749 on: 30 January, 2013, 08:09:58 am »
only .2 kg this week I need to concentrate more.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot