Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300878 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3800 on: 12 February, 2013, 12:13:58 pm »
Well, I've not seen a "13" on the scales for some time :D
Shame it's not 'official' weigh-in day but that it is pancake day so I doubt I'll repeat the experience tomorrow morning.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3801 on: 12 February, 2013, 02:22:44 pm »
I'm down about 1.4kg in a week. Weighed this morning at the end of week 1 of 5:2 'fasting' regime. Fasting today, so expect I'll lose weight again, mostly water.

If it carries on like this I'll be at my target weight in a fortnight or so.....we'll see.
Embrace your inner Fred.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3802 on: 12 February, 2013, 04:29:14 pm »
Shame it's not 'official' weigh-in day but that it is pancake day so I doubt I'll repeat the experience tomorrow morning.

I've seen one every day this year. Sadly, it's prefixed with a 1.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #3803 on: 12 February, 2013, 04:43:27 pm »

I've seen one every day this year. Sadly, it's prefixed with a 1.

I very much hope to see one soon - it will be 15 st. 13 lb and will mean I've broken through the 16 stone barrier.  A few years back I dropped like I have recently by swimming a lot - but I never breached the 16 stone basement.  I hope cycling will provide the means...
(5 lb to go as of this morning)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #3804 on: 13 February, 2013, 07:40:38 am »
UP 2 kg in 2 weeks  :-[ I need to take deastic action eat less and move more.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

caerau

« Reply #3805 on: 13 February, 2013, 09:15:51 am »
Another 2 lb down from me in the last two week - nearly driven off all the christmas induced weight gain now - just 1 lb to the weight I was at on December 20th and then we're into record breaking territory (for me).

Starting to feel like I'm alone in succeeding here though - sorry.

« Reply #3806 on: 13 February, 2013, 09:40:49 am »
Bugger.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3807 on: 13 February, 2013, 09:49:38 am »
I'm going up. I've only been doing utility cycling, so that's not even 10 miles a day. It's just no fun when you are freezing your arse off the whole time.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3808 on: 13 February, 2013, 10:39:41 am »
Down 1.8kg on last week which is nice. The overall trend for my weight loss is also running pretty much in line with the progress line I need to hit my end of year target, but I'm going to have to watch that as it was more rapid a few weeks back.

I'm wondering how many of this morning's rises are really only pancake induced and reasonably temporary in the grand scheme of things :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3809 on: 13 February, 2013, 10:46:58 am »
Another 2 lb down from me in the last two week - nearly driven off all the christmas induced weight gain now - just 1 lb to the weight I was at on December 20th and then we're into record breaking territory (for me).

No, you're not. I seem to be making progress!

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3810 on: 13 February, 2013, 11:13:55 am »
I seem to have stabilised over the past week at the new lower weight, around 2.2kg lower than at the end of January. I've an audax event on Sunday so we'll see what effect that has on next week's weight. Will have to move my fasting day from Saturday to Friday, as I don't want to do an audax with depleted glycogen reserves...
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #3811 on: 13 February, 2013, 11:34:39 am »
blimey, my belt went up a hole this morning, and my suit jacket feels slightly looser.  I still refuse to stand on the scales though.

simonp

« Reply #3812 on: 13 February, 2013, 11:59:37 am »
Down 1.5kg - continuing the random noise pattern.

« Reply #3813 on: 13 February, 2013, 12:07:49 pm »
As I feared and predicted yesterday, the pancakes have taken their toll.
Oh well. 
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3814 on: 13 February, 2013, 05:41:30 pm »

Don't feel guilty about it ;)  Maybe that basement will become your new ceiling.

blimey, my belt went up a hole this morning, and my suit jacket feels slightly looser.  I still refuse to stand on the scales though.

Take the plunge.  I always found I behaved more erratically with food when I was hiding from the scales.

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

caerau

« Reply #3815 on: 13 February, 2013, 05:53:12 pm »
Thanks itsBruce and Tim C  :thumbsup:

I just felt a bit like the one jumping up on down on exam results day when everyone else has failed. 

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3816 on: 13 February, 2013, 06:37:54 pm »

I just felt a bit like the one jumping up on down on exam results day when everyone else has failed.

Er.....that might be taking it a bit far. Have those whose weight has not risen "failed"?
Embrace your inner Fred.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3817 on: 13 February, 2013, 07:12:18 pm »
Getting me weighed is a major hassle for David and me.
I remain convinced that I will continue to lose weight while I'm 'sensible'.
(Small portions, little added fat - scant mayo - HORROR! No regular breakfast croissants/toast minimal biscuits/chocolate etc.)
My trousers are getting looser and my measurements are shrinking gradually.
Whatever my weight measurements (or lack thereof), I'll keep going.

David's weight seems steady now; at 64kg he's not overweight but still lacks muscle definition. He's done well on this week's workouts and managed to tighten  his new weight-traing belt another notch. I think there's some redistribution afoot.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3818 on: 13 February, 2013, 07:25:13 pm »
Those other measurements are at least as important/significant as what the scales show, aren't they?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3819 on: 13 February, 2013, 07:45:55 pm »
Those other measurements are at least as important/significant as what the scales show, aren't they?

Indeed. That's why I'll only get weighed when it doesn't wind David up and why David's weight matters little to me so long as he has no significant gain.

caerau

« Reply #3820 on: 13 February, 2013, 08:00:38 pm »

Er.....that might be taking it a bit far. Have those whose weight has not risen "failed"?

Ach, no offence meant, I just didn't want to come across as crowing too much.  I 'failed' for many years when I got to something like six stone overweight with no excuses whatsoever.  Sorry if I used an inappropriate metaphor.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3821 on: 13 February, 2013, 08:49:47 pm »
I'm back down 2kg from last week.  Managed to reduce my input to match my lack of cycling at last (not helped by steroid, but it's OK).  Means I am where I started ::-)
Getting there...

« Reply #3822 on: 13 February, 2013, 09:40:54 pm »
Well, yes and no.
Power:weight is what I'm trying to improve, but I've never really had a problem with the power side. Yes more muscle is better, but there isn't that much of a shortage.
Really, as a tandem team, we need to shed kilos, extra power isn't really enough. I have to be lighter.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3823 on: 13 February, 2013, 09:56:43 pm »
Well, yes and no.
Power:weight is what I'm trying to improve, but I've never really had a problem with the power side. Yes more muscle is better, but there isn't that much of a shortage.
Really, as a tandem team, we need to shed kilos, extra power isn't really enough. I have to be lighter.

Power is something I never had. Lots of training made mine 'average' or just below, so long as I was well-carbed. Low-carbed, I was too weak to achieve anything. Power is not really an issue now; there is none. I'm working on weight.

David gained power when he overate a couple of years ago. He lost weight and strength last year. Seems to be getting stronger now.

LEE

« Reply #3824 on: 14 February, 2013, 11:15:09 am »

Power is something I never had. Lots of training made mine 'average' or just below, so long as I was well-carbed. Low-carbed, I was too weak to achieve anything. Power is not really an issue now; there is none. I'm working on weight.

David gained power when he overate a couple of years ago. He lost weight and strength last year. Seems to be getting stronger now.

Everybody has a power value and a weight value.  Your power value may be small, even zero, but you still have one.

I'd like access to a PowerTap so I could quantify my own power over a given period and then create my own Watts/Kg value.  That way I could see actual improvements. I'd like to be able to quantify what a Pro Cyclist is actually like as well.  Watts/Kg gives you that.

Like Boabacca I'm looking to improve my power to weight.  I'm 50 so my power isn't going to improve much so that leaves my weight.

Hauling excess weight up hills (or even up gentle slopes) wastes what little power value I have, takes me further into "the red" than I need to be, requires more calories...etc etc.  It's a constant drain in a hilly world.

I'll never have Wiggo's power level but I wouldn't mind trying his body weight, even with my power.  He's 3 stone lighter than me (he's bloody taller as well).  42 pounds !!!  He puts out >400 Watts as well.  I'm not surprised he likes cycling.

Cycling is just better when you're lighter.