Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300895 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

crowriver

• Крис Б
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3851 on: 19 February, 2013, 12:46:47 pm »
Yeah saw that. Shows that fresh veg is the best!
Embrace your inner Fred.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #3852 on: 19 February, 2013, 12:51:29 pm »
Makes a bit of a joke of Weight Watchers' infinite broccoli allowance though ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3853 on: 19 February, 2013, 09:23:10 pm »
Weight Watchers is a sham organisation.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3854 on: 19 February, 2013, 09:36:33 pm »
Weight Watchers is one of the few systems with a sound enough evidence base for the NHS to work with them.
Getting there...

« Reply #3855 on: 19 February, 2013, 09:37:12 pm »
Weight Watchers is a business like any other. There's nothing sham about it. It's a real business, trading on obesity, poor body image, and conflicting nutritional information. At 106kg and 5'3" going to Weight Watchers and knowing that if you did as you were told and ate what you were told you would lose weight was great. And I did. And they made money out of me, and a load of other miserable women. Win-win.

http://invus.com/case-studies/weightwatchers.shtml

Weight Watchers works, but at the end of the day it's a diet, and diets don't work.

« Reply #3856 on: 20 February, 2013, 07:58:32 am »
The elusive initial '13' still eludes me  >:(
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3857 on: 20 February, 2013, 08:17:33 am »
The elusive initial '13' still eludes me  >:(
That's what elusive things do. :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3858 on: 20 February, 2013, 08:36:10 am »

See those spikes? Every one is 3 days post Audax.

Interesting.

I get my blood test results tomorrow, maybe there's an actual medical reason why my 'weight loss' is glacial, despite eating few enough calories to theoretically lose 1kg a week.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3859 on: 20 February, 2013, 08:41:40 am »
Seems to fit with my audax experience. I find Tuesdays are the real hunger days for me after audaxes. On those days it takes effort just to avoid clearing out the entire fridge.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #3860 on: 20 February, 2013, 08:45:56 am »
4 kilos or approx 8 lb down since the New Year now for me  :thumbsup:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #3861 on: 20 February, 2013, 08:57:05 am »
Seems to fit with my audax experience. I find Tuesdays are the real hunger days for me after audaxes. On those days it takes effort just to avoid clearing out the entire fridge.
I don't get The Hunger anymore- not on the keto diet. It must be water/metabolic waste. I ate 1800kcal yesterday and 'used' 240 'running'.

« Reply #3862 on: 20 February, 2013, 09:07:07 am »
I don't get 'the hunger' post Audax either.

Fboab, I feel your pain. I am now at the point where I need to burn crazy amounts every day to even stay stable. Taking the 1 week in 3 where I'm currently throwing up and not eating or really doing any exercise out of the equation, I'm eating 1500 a day, and burning off 1500+ in exercise. The maths quite clearly doesn't add up. #bangsheadonwall

« Reply #3863 on: 20 February, 2013, 09:10:01 am »
I don't get 'the hunger' post Audax either.

Fboab, I feel your pain. I am now at the point where I need to burn crazy amounts every day to even stay stable. Taking the 1 week in 3 where I'm currently throwing up and not eating or really doing any exercise out of the equation, I'm eating 1500 a day, and burning off 1500+ in exercise. The maths quite clearly doesn't add up. #bangsheadonwall
You're a special case though, surely, Lady C? The drugs must be stuffing you up something awful.

The other thing is, my BMI is 33+, I'm 40+% Lard. The weight *should* be falling off me.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #3864 on: 20 February, 2013, 09:13:07 am »
4.5kg down this month.

The initial weight loss has tapered off a bit, thankfully. Down about 0.5kg a week now.

Training is hard work though. Before I started the diet, I would feel crap for the first 20 minutes of exercise, but I would persist, knowing that after 20 minutes that feeling would go, and I'd start to feel a lot better.

Now I don't, I feel like I'm permanently bonked.

Just have to work through it I guess. I hope it does start easing off soon, otherwise longer rides (I've not managed anything over 15km in the cold weather) are going to be impossible.

« Reply #3865 on: 20 February, 2013, 09:13:28 am »
Who knows what is drugs related and what isn't. All I know is that it's ridiculously frustrating, I'm a stone heavier than I normally am/like to be and just staying here seems almost impossible, never mind getting any off.

Why doesn't the whole weight loss thing work like it is supposed to?! It would be so easy if eating 3500 calories less than 'needed' removed a pound of lard. Maybe the blood test might help give you some answers.

It's getting me really down in the dumps :( And tired from having to burn it all off.

Chris S

« Reply #3866 on: 20 February, 2013, 10:12:30 am »
All of which goes to show, dietary and exercise advice is as doomed to failure as weather forecasting; just too many variables to make it useful. What works for one person, doesn't for another.

Boab is struggling to get the kilos off, and rather unfairly, I'm not - despite the fact we're doing almost identical exercise (on the same bike when audaxing!) and eating an almost identical diet.

FWIW - I seem to have re-found my "sweet spot", which I knew was there because I found it in 2011 too, though it was harder to maintain then because I was permanently hungry - a failing of the traditional high-carb diet I was on. A mix of intervals, long distance steady cycling, and weights at the gym seems to rev me up nicely, and I eat enough to stave off hunger. Most of the time, that's close to my "target" of 1800 net kcals a day, but one or two days a week, I seem to need more. Monday I was hungry a lot - even on the high fat diet, and managed to put away over 3500kcals (burp).

I'm finding "listening to my body" is working better on this diet. The whole sugar-based hunger rollercoaster is absent. Hunger on a high fat diet is different - the belly growls and you know you need food, but I don't find it a mental imperative in the same way it is when carb-driven.

« Reply #3867 on: 20 February, 2013, 10:29:56 am »
Reading your posts makes me really want to try that diet. I'm always permanently hungry.

At the moment, I'm not allowed to eat a high protein diet so it's not the right time for me to do it but the idea of sugar cravings being non existent is amazing.

Chris S

« Reply #3868 on: 20 February, 2013, 10:33:52 am »
Reading your posts makes me really want to try that diet. I'm always permanently hungry.

At the moment, I'm not allowed to eat a high protein diet so it's not the right time for me to do it but the idea of sugar cravings being non existent is amazing.

I wouldn't do anything without the OK of your medical team - but a point to note - it's a high fat diet, not high protein; that's important because the first version of Atkins ( the low-carb diet that most people identify with) was high protein, which was the source of a lot of its criticism. Protein level is set according to activity level and lean mass, so mine's about 100g a day.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3869 on: 20 February, 2013, 10:34:35 am »
Boab is struggling to get the kilos off, and rather unfairly, I'm not - despite the fact we're doing almost identical exercise (on the same bike when audaxing!) and eating an almost identical diet.

She's not pedalling at the back!

*runs*

Edit: *or, rather, waddles*
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

« Reply #3870 on: 20 February, 2013, 10:36:33 am »

She's not pedalling at the back!

*runs*

Edit: *or, rather, waddles*

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/suUxA3sS2zg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/suUxA3sS2zg&rel=1</a>

« Reply #3871 on: 20 February, 2013, 10:38:02 am »
Ok yes, fair point high fat not high protein, but you are in ketosis right? I think that's the main problem with it for me, I understand it's a total no-no for anyone with kidney issues which rules me out. I do like the sound of it though.

Chris S

« Reply #3872 on: 20 February, 2013, 10:40:38 am »
Ok yes, fair point high fat not high protein, but you are in ketosis right? I think that's the main problem with it for me, I understand it's a total no-no for anyone with kidney issues which rules me out. I do like the sound of it though.

Yes - very much in ketosis, which of course is the point, and yes - that's very much contraindicated for someone with kidney issues.  :hand:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3873 on: 20 February, 2013, 10:48:38 am »

Why do you keep saying it's doomed to failure?  Calorie control and exercise work for the vast majority of people, as has been shown in a large number of studies.  In my case, despite some plateauing, I've gone from 116 to 89kg.

Doesn't mean it's easy.  And there are a significant number of people who it doesn't work for.  But simple advice is consistently better than most faddy diets for most people.

In fact, the advertising for fads undermines the efforts of dieters by consistently putting out the message that their efforts are 'doomed to failure'.

I'm pleased that the keto is working for you two.
Getting there...

« Reply #3874 on: 20 February, 2013, 10:54:41 am »
It's working for Chris. Nothing fucking works for me.