Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300483 times)

crowriver

• Крис Б
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4025 on: 29 March, 2013, 12:30:45 pm »
You guys must be youngsters. Luckily we greybeards get a 'safe' ratio between 0.5 and 0.6. I'm currently at 0.528, hope to be closer to 0.5 in a couple of months.
Embrace your inner Fred.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4026 on: 29 March, 2013, 01:37:49 pm »
I am female so my waist is somewhat smaller than the chaps' but I'm nearly 55 so not very young...

simonp

« Reply #4027 on: 29 March, 2013, 04:22:08 pm »
I’m 41. Not young. At my fattest, in 2009, my waist was 87cm, for a ratio of 0.48.

I weigh very nearly as much now but my waist is much smaller.

« Reply #4028 on: 29 March, 2013, 08:12:48 pm »
I've done a few spinning classes. I find it incredibly hard work. Probably over-doing it, hitting my max HR etc.

On another thread ... Sufferfest vids if you think you are not YET overdoing it. (tbh I can't hack the suggested cadence for much more than the warm up, but the idea is that you put in a % of your own ability)

Did my first Sufferfest last week.

Oh my.

There was an eency weency clue in the name ;)

Which one? I got the "starter pack" and Angels is my..... for want of a better word... favourite. There is a palpable sense of achievement being able to do more one day than you did before. I couldn't guess whether it was actually worth it or not.....

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4029 on: 29 March, 2013, 11:14:18 pm »
Well I'm 46 in a few hours' time. Until late last year, my waistline had been steadily expanding for around the previous decade. The usual reasons: too much of the wrong foods; too much booze; not enough exercise.

I've cut the booze out and I'm working on the other two. As a result, I can fit comfortably into trews I haven't worn since the late 1990s because they were too tight... Not there yet, but should be by the summer - if it ever arrives.
Embrace your inner Fred.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4030 on: 30 March, 2013, 08:56:14 am »
I stepped on the scales yesterday for the first time since early January.I did this 'cause I had a suspicion that I'd lost some weight 'cause my trousers have recently needed the help of a belt or braces to avoid buliders bum.
I've lost 2.5kg....without trying.Not too shabby.

simonp

« Reply #4031 on: 30 March, 2013, 01:47:37 pm »
Just re-measured my waist, finally found the tape measure. 79cm => 0.43.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4032 on: 30 March, 2013, 02:52:34 pm »
Just measured my waist at 88cm (34in). This isn't really anything to worry about but is slightly alarming because it was down to 82cm (32in) before Christmas and I was having to buy new trousers. I've not been very careful about what I eat over the last few months and have put nearly 3kg back on - and it seems to have all gone on my waist.

The better news is that I've realised I miscalculated my height by mucking up the conversion from feet and inches to centimetres - I had it down as 165cm but it's more like 177cm, so now I've corrected that, I should see a positive adjustment in the BMI graph.  ;D

My WHR is as near as 0.5 as makes no difference (if I call my height 176cm, it's 0.5 precisely). In any case, I'm not concerned about my current weight, which is "healthy". I was hoping to get down to 64kg by the time I do the triathlon at the end of April, but it probably won't happen and I'm not going to obsess about it. I shall at least make an effort to reverse the trend though.

I had a letter from the doctor recently, offering me a free health check now that I've turned 40. That should be fun. The last time I was weighed for medical purposes, I was over 80kg. My mum tested my blood pressure recently and it was 110/60, which again is considerably healthier than the last time it was checked officially. I've also stopped taking the medication that I was on - omeprazole, which I was taking to relieve the symptoms of hiatus hernia - because the weight loss has pretty much eradicated those symptoms (acid reflux).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4033 on: 30 March, 2013, 05:35:38 pm »
My waist height ratio is .39. My waist/hip ratio is .84

Chris S

« Reply #4034 on: 03 April, 2013, 08:44:38 am »
Wow. Looks like I should ride freezing cold 300s more often  :).

« Reply #4035 on: 03 April, 2013, 10:59:15 am »
Is this a weather forecast for next weekend?  :facepalm:

Chris S

« Reply #4036 on: 03 April, 2013, 11:28:45 am »
Is this a weather forecast for next weekend?  :facepalm:

God, I hope not.

simonp

« Reply #4037 on: 03 April, 2013, 11:33:44 am »
I hope the Elynydd isn't a snowy one, mountain roads and snow won't be a good combination.

Chris S

« Reply #4038 on: 03 April, 2013, 11:35:11 am »
I hope the Elynydd isn't a snowy one, mountain roads and snow won't be a good combination.

After this winter, how could it not be?

« Reply #4039 on: 03 April, 2013, 05:51:56 pm »
Stable.  After a weekend which included 4 pub lunches, some simnell cake and a certain amount of chocolate that has to count as a win.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4040 on: 03 April, 2013, 06:42:22 pm »
Another "easy" loss, I'm still in the honeymoon period. I still need an attitude realignment though.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4041 on: 08 April, 2013, 08:43:53 pm »
I stepped on the scales yesterday for the first time since early January.I did this 'cause I had a suspicion that I'd lost some weight 'cause my trousers have recently needed the help of a belt or braces to avoid buliders bum.
I've lost 2.5kg....without trying.Not too shabby.

Since that ^^^^^ post I've lost another kilogram.

« Reply #4042 on: 09 April, 2013, 02:47:18 pm »
I have a small request for simonp- could we have consistent markers between the graphs? I'd just like to be able to spot myself more easily by having the same shape & colour.

(This is even more relevant when there're more graphs. Is there a reason the % change ones were done away with?)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #4043 on: 09 April, 2013, 11:55:10 pm »
0.41      ;D
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

simonp

« Reply #4044 on: 10 April, 2013, 01:23:29 am »
I have a small request for simonp- could we have consistent markers between the graphs? I'd just like to be able to spot myself more easily by having the same shape & colour.

(This is even more relevant when there're more graphs. Is there a reason the % change ones were done away with?)

The % graphs are still generated, and uploaded, but are not displayed as they were looking very messy so I wasn’t sure they were helpful. I can add them back.

As for the colouring and point style, the intention of the way it is at the moment is that people with adjacent current weights are never the same colour, so it cycles through in order of weight/BMI etc. I take your point that it can be hard to find yourself; I can easily change it so that you are given the same style on each graph.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4045 on: 10 April, 2013, 09:18:26 am »
Up again. Heaviest I've been all year.

Self-control is non-existent. Cycling next to non-existent. Lurgy still with me. Comfort eating on a high.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4046 on: 10 April, 2013, 09:34:05 am »
Willpower is a really shit way of doing anything. It means it's a continuous battle, using a finite resource. Here's the American Psychologists Associations take:

http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/willpower.aspx?item=4

Much more effective is creating good habits and hunger management.

DrMekon is the expert but the the theories are here:

http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/willpower.aspx?item=6

(Theories are so easy!)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4047 on: 10 April, 2013, 10:01:35 am »
Willpower is a really shit way of doing anything.

I did alright for a while through sheer force of will, but - perhaps inevitably - I hit a wall about six months ago and I'm now struggling to stop the weight I lost all going back on, much quicker than I lost it...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4048 on: 10 April, 2013, 10:15:32 am »
I managed to reverse the trend this week, despite eating a lot of bhaji yesterday
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4049 on: 10 April, 2013, 11:07:46 am »
I managed to reverse the trend this week, despite eating a lot of bhaji yesterday

Would that have been Argie Bhaji, in honour of the fallen?  :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.