Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300533 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4225 on: 23 June, 2013, 08:57:37 am »
So, I weigh myself every day, put the numbers in an excel spreadsheet and calculate a two-week rolling average. Does this give me any more useful results than if I just weighed myself once a week? Well, here's a graph of my weight records this year. The solid blue line is the weekly measurement, the dotted line the two-week average (horizontal lines are 1kg intervals). Draw your own conclusions...

One thing I think the graph demonstrates for those who weigh themselves weekly is that you can't read much, if anything, into a fluctuation between two weekly measurements of up to ±1kg - it's only the longer-term trends that give you meaningful data.

To reinforce the point, here's what the graph looks like with the average calculated over six weeks instead of two:

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4226 on: 24 June, 2013, 12:22:18 pm »
Yes, good graphs to show how misleading it is to compare two consecutive weeks' readings.

it's only the longer-term trends that give you meaningful data.

Dropping the first 4kg has made it a lot easier to get back in to (treadmill) running, which should help keep the weight loss trending downwards nicely.

£50 a month going into the pot for a PowerTap track hub (I've been promising myself one for years). I should have enough to buy one once I get down to 76.2kg (12st, BMI < 25). Last time I was that weight was around the time of LEL 2009.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #4227 on: 24 June, 2013, 11:13:06 pm »
My weight is 74kg this evening. It'll take a few days for the Pendle 600 to wear off and a return to normal.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4228 on: 25 June, 2013, 11:55:41 am »
I weighed myself yesterday morning after a weekend's lethargy and pigging out on very unsuitable food at my m-i-l's: 118.1kg

I weighed myself this morning: 113.9kg.

Only some of that is down to the inaccuracy of the scales.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

« Reply #4229 on: 26 June, 2013, 05:57:27 am »
Whoop! Under 67kg for the first time this year. Somehow don't think I'm going to achieve my original target of 64kg by 3rd July, but let's see if I can maintain this trend...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4230 on: 26 June, 2013, 06:46:05 am »
I've gained half a kg in the last 7 days

since then I've shed a kilogram

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4231 on: 26 June, 2013, 01:33:53 pm »
Aye, I went up nearly a kilo after Sunday's 200. No fasting day yesterday as still replacing carbs and protein destroyed during the ride. Fasting today instead, will see what I'm like tomorrow morning before breakfast...
Embrace your inner Fred.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4232 on: 27 June, 2013, 10:01:21 am »
The effect of the fasting day was to shed a kilo exactly. Presumably mostly water. Overall trend does seem to be downwards, but slowing the past couple of months. This is mainly due to cramming the audaxes in to the longer days, and consequently skipping a fair few fasting days due to carbo-loading beforehand, and recovery afterwards.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #4233 on: 27 June, 2013, 11:04:15 am »
My weight is 74kg this evening. It'll take a few days for the Pendle 600 to wear off and a return to normal.

Mine was 70.4kg yesterday, putting me back to BMI 19.7. Looking on target to being back below 70kg for LEL.

simonp

« Reply #4234 on: 27 June, 2013, 11:22:02 am »

Mine was 70.4kg yesterday, putting me back to BMI 19.7. Looking on target to being back below 70kg for LEL.

73kg yesterday and 72kg today. Back on the bike today. Slow.

« Reply #4235 on: 27 June, 2013, 11:52:11 am »
BMI 19.7

Blimey. I can't imagine myself being 61kg.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4236 on: 27 June, 2013, 12:23:01 pm »
BMI 19.7

David is 62kg, I was 64kg when last weighed.
We will get to 60kg one day...

« Reply #4237 on: 27 June, 2013, 02:31:35 pm »
BMI 19.7

Ditto. I mean, I know I'm lardy, but way back when, as a teenage bride I looked like this:
(click to show/hide)
I don't think I weighed 50kg, it was surely more like 60.

I've got size 7 feet, I think I'd be skeletal with a BMI that low.

Chris S

« Reply #4238 on: 27 June, 2013, 02:34:05 pm »
Well. I'm much much lighter today, than I was at weigh-O'Clock yesterday.  :(

« Reply #4239 on: 27 June, 2013, 04:55:12 pm »
Well. I'm much much lighter today, than I was at weigh-O'Clock yesterday.  :(

Same here, and lower than I was after the recent Noro emptying.

Just means next week (or the week after) will be better.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4240 on: 28 June, 2013, 01:56:19 pm »
I seem to have gained weight.
My ankles are rather swollen.
My hip girth is no larger (and might be smaller).
I ate quite a lot at my nephew's wedding but that was only the equivalent of two meals. Some of the food was very salty. I have probably eaten too many biscuits of late.
I am eating too much but believe some of this weight gain is spurious.
We shall see.

« Reply #4241 on: 29 June, 2013, 11:31:16 am »
I no longer need a belt for my 32 inch trousers. Far too much junk food last week. Hello again healthy eating, and exercise.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4242 on: 29 June, 2013, 11:33:17 am »
David has tightened his belt another notch. I had a Very Big Meal last night.
More salad weeks ahead...

« Reply #4243 on: 29 June, 2013, 02:01:49 pm »
Saw a tweet from Jens Voigt a day or two ago: 78.5 kg and 4.9% body fat.

« Reply #4244 on: 30 June, 2013, 07:48:36 am »
I was 7% body fat at ~71kg. This morning I'm 68.9kg (it's falling off post Pendle 600 - a highly recommended ride!), so 19.3. I was 18.5-19 the year before last, and people at work started asking my RA whether I was ill.

It's fair to say I am looking ripped, albeit more like Rasmussen than The Rock.

Been working on core strength on the advice of physio - has been amazing in terms of riding a bike with an aggressive position on Pendle, but no back ache at all. Being so low in BF as meant visible results within 4 weeks.

I'm trying to come up with a pithy phrase that describes my current condition - "body like a body band, face like a bandstand" is the best I can come up with.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4245 on: 30 June, 2013, 10:43:01 am »
David's BMI is just over 20. I don't know his body fat but it does not seem too low.
I guessed it was 10-12% and he agreed.
I can still 'pinch an inch' (at least!) over his hips.
His waist was 29" (74cm) before we celebrated his birthday with a Big Chinese Meal.
I am wondering how much lard the average chap is now carrying.
It must be a lot.

« Reply #4246 on: 01 July, 2013, 10:00:23 pm »
My son has just lost 4 stones by strictly controlling calorie intake. God its so simple but you need will power and no cake..........................................
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4247 on: 03 July, 2013, 07:29:56 am »
My son has just lost 4 stones by strictly controlling calorie intake. God its so simple
For him.

I've been controlling calorie intake for about a year without a break. I lift weights. I cycle more than most, and much of it isn't barely-raising-a sweat, it's riding at pace. I've lost 5kg this year. Great, you say, except that only means I've gone from point at in the street freak show fat to just fat bastard.

It is NOT that simple. Especially if you're a) female (lower testosterone = lower calorie usage) b) already active and c) over 40.

citoyen

« Reply #4248 on: 03 July, 2013, 08:09:50 am »
According to MFP/Endomondo, I consumed -600 calories net yesterday. By my more conservative estimate, I consumed 800-1,000 calories net.

No wonder people still find it so difficult to lose weight when the figures these helpful apps provide are so far out.

Chris S

« Reply #4249 on: 03 July, 2013, 08:34:04 am »
Highest since January. Some of it is rubbish in my legs from last weekend's 600; I've been suffering terrible DOMS thanks to a change in riding style I wasn't use to.

But there's an underlying upward trend there. Less strict on carbs (actually, it was a carb-fest on the 600!) and eating/drinking too much.

Also - activity is very low during the week; the "only" exercise I'm getting is the >=300km audax rides we're doing every weekend, which is not great for weightloss - persistently high cortisol, nagging hunger, it's not an ideal environment for weightloss.

I'm not that worried, TBH. We're riding pretty well, and that's our focus at the moment.