Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300840 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4650 on: 22 January, 2014, 08:55:23 pm »
Porridge is good for you. Don't listen to anything contrary to it.

Consistently the only cereal that keeps hunger locked up til lunch for me.

50% of people regularly eat porridge for breakfast.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/oat-cuisine-half-of-us-now-start-the-day-with-a-bowl-of-porridge-8872541.html

« Reply #4651 on: 22 January, 2014, 08:58:09 pm »
It doesn't keep hunger locked up till lunch for me- I eat a large bowl at 9 and by 11 I'm properly hungry, 10.30 some days....

Chris S

« Reply #4652 on: 22 January, 2014, 09:39:36 pm »
Porridge is good stuff. Low GI, high in soluble fibre, not too much insoluble fibre, so doesn't damage the gut lining (important if you're a believer in "leaky gut syndrome"), and it's yummy.

If you're intending to follow a strict LCHF diet, then all grains should probably be avoided, including oats. LC - it certainly sounds like you're aiming for a LCHF diet. Is the intention to induce ketosis? If so, I reckon oats will break it. If your intention is just to remove refined carbs, then oats are probably OK to keep - and you'll probably offset any insulin release through exercise anyway.

What is it you're trying to achieve? If you want the effects of LCHF but want to retain high-end performance, how about a CKD diet? That way, you keep glycogen high when you need your top performance, and can be LC the rest of the time.

« Reply #4653 on: 22 January, 2014, 09:44:37 pm »
I'm under advice to avoid ketosis....

I don't want LCHF, just LC really, anything that might help me to just get some of this fat off that is sat on my hips and arse.  Just the most frustrated person ever and want ideas as to WTF to do.

Chris S

« Reply #4654 on: 22 January, 2014, 10:06:02 pm »
I'm under advice to avoid ketosis....

I don't want LCHF, just LC really, anything that might help me to just get some of this fat off that is sat on my hips and arse.  Just the most frustrated person ever and want ideas as to WTF to do.

Well, therein lies the rub - you've got to get energy from somewhere - if you reduce carbs to a low enough level, you need the fat to provide energy. What you're talking about is starvation! If you need to avoid ketosis, then you need to keep enough carbs going; Oats are good, lots of above-ground veg, low-sugar fruit, even a small portion of white rice or potato - every once in a while. Lentils, couscous, stuff like that?

Removing the refined carbs will go a long way to helping, I'm sure.

BTW: How can you not like cream? I know I'm following an extreme fad diet that'll probably kill me, but hey - at least you get to eat as much cream as you like. And butter. And cheese! Well - the whole damn dairy fleet, TBF.

« Reply #4655 on: 22 January, 2014, 10:17:22 pm »
But I don't eat any of the refined stuff already :( A very occasional little bit of chocolate/frozen yoghurt.

I hate milk and cream! Bleurgh. Can only handle butter spread really thinly too. Ice cream however is different ;) and cheese....love cheese.

Basically, can you tell?! I've run out of ideas. It just looks like starvation is the only way. And I dunno if I'm prepared to do that. Having had a past ED, going anywhere near that is probably a bad idea.

« Reply #4656 on: 23 January, 2014, 07:58:45 am »
Breakfast.

Ingredients.

125g Self raising flour.
125g Wheatbran.
30g Powdered ginger.
30g Granulated sugar.
5g ‘Hot’ chilli powder.
125g unsalted butter.
110ml ( large bottle ) Syrup of figs.
10 – 15 ml water.

Mix together until a paste.

Put in rectangular baking tray. Score top surface to make 12 portions.
Bake at 170 deg C for 30 mins.

When cool, separate into 12 portions.

Offer around a beginning of randonneur.

« Reply #4657 on: 23 January, 2014, 09:32:35 am »
My usual routine of gaining weight over winter, then getting ill and losing it is working nicely. Flu has become a chest infection. Prescribed a load of steroids and antibiotics as usual. Weight falling off me, as usual.

Have had a CT scan on my lungs, which might shed some light on why I'm getting ~3 chest infections a year. GP is saying if it doesn't, then they'll need to think about upping my steroid dose some more.

« Reply #4658 on: 23 January, 2014, 09:55:44 am »
The nice thing about alternate day fasting is the lack of guilt. Yesterday I ate nothing but sweets and nachos and guacamole. Did the diet absolutely no good at all, but was so worth it. Today, back to eating not much.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4659 on: 23 January, 2014, 10:06:31 am »
Offer around a beginning of randonneur.

...along with a few sheets of Andrex for later. ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4660 on: 23 January, 2014, 10:14:48 am »
Trousers starting to feel looser around the waist, might need to bring a belt in to work soon.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #4661 on: 23 January, 2014, 11:30:43 am »
The thing is with breakfast cerials is that I tend to serve out far to much into my bowl.Being the type of person who can't be bothered to weigh food,I have started to use those small boxes you tend to get in hotels,hospitals ect.They come in at 35g which is about right.If I am going for a long ride I eat whatever I like.

I am allways ready for lunch about 11am'

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4662 on: 23 January, 2014, 12:20:43 pm »
I have just started to weigh my breakfast cereal, which I have never done before. My previous policy was to fill a bowl up as much as possible and eat it. I'm still eating more than the named portion amount but I am losing weight. I'll keep this up for the time being.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4663 on: 23 January, 2014, 02:12:47 pm »
My Breakfast recipe is 200 kCals per portion.

The syrup of figs content of each portion is only 1/3 of an Adult's dose. No effect. Tastes nice.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4664 on: 23 January, 2014, 05:09:44 pm »
Instead of weighing dry stuff you can use measuring cups, as you might do for porage oats for istance.
Embrace your inner Fred.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4665 on: 23 January, 2014, 10:07:57 pm »
One heaped tablespoon (my tablespoon YSMV) of Sainsbury's Scottish Porridge Oats weighs 10 grams. I have 2 spoons (raw) every morning. I put three spoons in David's porridge.
I don't use measuring cups but spoons are good for oats.
David has special scoops for his Magic Potion Powders.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4666 on: 23 January, 2014, 11:56:14 pm »
WOLAS (West of London Astronomical Society) has its Annual Meal this coming Monday. I'm looking at the nutritional information on the menu at the venue.
It states there are 3394kcal in their 6oz gammon steak with pineapple. Even with all the trimmings, I find it a little difficult to believe...

« Reply #4667 on: 24 January, 2014, 07:05:32 am »
WOLAS (West of London Astronomical Society) has its Annual Meal this coming Monday. I'm looking at the nutritional information on the menu at the venue.
It states there are 3394kcal in their 6oz gammon steak with pineapple. Even with all the trimmings, I find it a little difficult to believe...

That sounds astronomical.

Typo I suspect. Too may '3's.

« Reply #4668 on: 24 January, 2014, 10:12:44 am »
Over the last twenty or so years, I’ve tried to keep a watchful eye on my intake and exercise.

From my observations, my calorific intake and expenditure doesn’t balance with the bodyfat I lose or gain.
There must be something chemical going on dependent on my food combinations.

To lose quickly ( up to 2lb per week, 1.25% bodyfat ), I eat my bran and fig biscuits, with any amount of eggs, plain rice, plain pasta, baked potatoes and lean meat.
If I swap out 500 kCals from this list for a bar of chocolate, I do not lose.

If I eat products ( like cake, chocolate or sweets ) with refined carbs, I HAVE TO do the extra exercise to burn off a theoretic double the calorific values.

Now please some diet expert, explain this.

And IF an expert wants to supply an answer, I'm NOT paying money for it  ::-)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4669 on: 24 January, 2014, 02:04:22 pm »

That sounds astronomical.

Typo I suspect. Too may '3's.

Possibly too many 3s but some other dishes also seem implausibly calorific on the pdf I downloaded. The 16oz gammon steak with fried egg is stated to be 3112.9 kcal (love the spurious precision!) which still seems a lot, even for a HYOOGE steak.

Think I'll choose 'sensibly' and ignore the misinformation.

simonp

« Reply #4670 on: 24 January, 2014, 02:18:01 pm »
A 16oz steak is about 600 calories or thereabouts.

You have to be going some to fit 3000 calories on a plate.

« Reply #4671 on: 24 January, 2014, 02:24:01 pm »
Oats are full of win - I eat ~100g of oatbran a day 3 servings of my slop (30g of Mornflake oatbran soaked  in 200ml of soya, then when the oatbran has expanded, poured over a chopped apple and toasted ~5g of Mornflake toasted oatbran).

See http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2012.00189.x/full for an overview.

Abstract

This article presents an overview of the recent advances into the health promoting potentials of oat β-glucan. Oat β-glucan (OβG) consists mainly of the linear polysaccharide (1→3), (1→4)-β-D-glucan and is often called β-glucan. This soluble oat fiber is able to attenuate blood postprandial glycemic and insulinemic responses, to lower blood total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and to improve high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol and blood lipid profiles as well as to maintain body weight. Thus, OβG intake is beneficial in the prevention, treatment, and control of diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. In addition, OβG can stimulate immune functions by activating monocytes/macrophages and increasing the amounts of immunoglobulin, NK cells, killer T-cells, and so on, which will improve resistance to cancer and infectious and parasitic diseases, as well as increase biological therapies and their prevention. All these health benefits of OβG may be explained by its physicochemical properties (such as viscosity, molecular weight) which can be affected by extraction methods and its behavior in gastrointestinal tract. Articles documenting these health benefits and effects are reviewed.

For what it's worth, I think a colleague just got a grant to run a keto-diet trial funded. I'll be interested to see his protocol.

« Reply #4672 on: 24 January, 2014, 02:31:00 pm »
For what it's worth, I think a colleague just got a grant to run a keto-diet trial funded. I'll be interested to see his protocol.
Cool! Does he want guinea pigs?

(All that oat stuff may be true, but I still view it as little better than wallpaper paste. Ugh.)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4673 on: 24 January, 2014, 02:32:57 pm »
A 16oz steak is about 600 calories or thereabouts.

Indeed. I think the 6oz steak in the nutritional info was a typo as there is no such option on the menu.

The stated values include all the trimmings as served (though I don't see how pineapple rings can exceed the calorie count of fried eggs.)
Place looks very greasy spoonish with almost no fruit & veg options aside from the side salad. I found nothing I fancied on the dessert menu so I'll give it a miss cos I don't eat food I don't like.

« Reply #4674 on: 24 January, 2014, 03:37:07 pm »

Indeed, just go to certain diners in the US.

I've seen (but never eaten) a "burger" that was made up as:-

The "burger" was a large steak that was battered and deep fried.
The "buns" were chicken breast that was, you guessed it, battered and fried.

Onion rings (battered and fried) were optional.

Of course it was made into a healthy meal by including lettuce/tomato and a 40oz vat of Diet Coke.

Of course, this is small fry (no pun intended) compared to some of the stuff seen on Man vs Food.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."