Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300419 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4675 on: 24 January, 2014, 06:41:11 pm »
A 16oz steak is about 600 calories or thereabouts.

You have to be going some to fit 3000 calories on a plate.

334 g of Walrus blubber.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4676 on: 24 January, 2014, 07:50:44 pm »
A 16oz steak is about 600 calories or thereabouts.

You have to be going some to fit 3000 calories on a plate.

334 g of Walrus blubber.

:sick:

The menu is pretty uninspiring AMOF. It's so different from my usual foods that I'll have the prawn cocktail, chance the chicken Tikka Massala and skip the pud. I usually enjoy a good feed and don't let my desire to lose weight stop me having a nice meal.

Strikes me it's not a nice meal...

simonp

« Reply #4677 on: 24 January, 2014, 09:40:37 pm »
Burns Night tomorrow. Will be over I reckon.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4678 on: 24 January, 2014, 10:04:42 pm »
Haggis is around 280 kcal/100g. Fat-free tatties & neeps are possible (if DULL). Neeps are fairly low-cal anyway.
We have finished eating our haggis.

simonp

« Reply #4679 on: 24 January, 2014, 10:52:43 pm »
We're going out and it'll be a four course meal. But a bike ride tomorrow and gym Sunday may be enough to compensate.

« Reply #4680 on: 25 January, 2014, 07:14:46 am »
Lost 2.6lbs this week. Result. 6 to go!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4681 on: 25 January, 2014, 07:30:08 am »
11st 13lob this morning, which is the lightest for 10 years and almost back to my early 20s racing weight of 11st 10lb.  I've also been doing press-ups and weights (have defined arm muscles for the first time ever) so the loss around my waist is far more than expected.  My 34" trousers now have folds in them at the back and I need to buy 32" again, if they will fit over my cyclist's thighs.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4682 on: 25 January, 2014, 08:47:10 am »
Antibiotics seem to be working, managing to stay hydrated. Looks like two weeks of flu / chest infection resulted in >3.5kg weight loss. Wonder whether my power to weight has gone up or down in the last two weeks. Think of the performance benefit I could have had from the winter vomiting bug that I stupidly avoided.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4683 on: 25 January, 2014, 09:12:34 am »
Up 1.5 pounds. 

I'm not surprised, real life has been torrid since New Year so I'm not really focused on loosing weight.  I have come to understand that loosing weight is a serious business and if your mind isn't on the job you might as well not bother.

No bother, I will get real life sorted and then re-focus.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4684 on: 25 January, 2014, 12:21:44 pm »

Now please some diet expert, explain this.

I'm not an expert but this has been much discussed in this thread...

AIUI, the calorific content of different foods may well be the same, but the body won't process those different foods in the same way - some foods are processed more efficiently than others.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4685 on: 25 January, 2014, 02:26:50 pm »

Now please some diet expert, explain this.

I'm not an expert but this has been much discussed in this thread...

AIUI, the calorific content of different foods may well be the same, but the body won't process those different foods in the same way - some foods are processed more efficiently than others.

+1

When on a reducing diet, EVERY last kCal of pure CHO ( refined sugars ) is grabbed and stored for the future JIC. Meat calories and fat is used first when physical exertion is low. Fibre and roughage passes through undetected.

We are an animal remember, and in the old days, it was not guaranteed the next meal would be tomorrow.

simonp

« Reply #4686 on: 26 January, 2014, 05:40:03 pm »
Nearly two hours on the tandem yesterday, walked the dog and cycled to the gym today, Burns Night has been burned off.

« Reply #4687 on: 28 January, 2014, 11:26:41 am »
Weighed in at hospital for the op yesterday at 78kg so continuing to loose weight at 0.5kg per week, which has been steady since Christmas.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4688 on: 28 January, 2014, 12:31:17 pm »
The thing is with breakfast cerials is that I tend to serve out far to much into my bowl.Being the type of person who can't be bothered to weigh food,I have started to use those small boxes you tend to get in hotels,hospitals ect.They come in at 35g which is about right.If I am going for a long ride I eat whatever I like.

Portion sizes are a funny business. No way could I last until lunchtime on the standard 35g cereal portion size. But when I do have cereal for breakfast, I weigh it out - calorie-counting mostly works for me, so the actual size of the portion isn't as important as knowing what my portion size is.

So I have 100g of Jordan's muesli (~350kcal, according to the packet) with about 200ml apple juice (~100kcal). I find that just about enough to keep the hunger levels manageable until lunchtime.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #4689 on: 28 January, 2014, 12:41:07 pm »
This morning was:

60g muesli, 120g yoghurt, one banana, a passion fruit, 150ml s/s milk.

Plus a home made cappuccino with two lumps of sugar.

Total calories 654 of which 463 from carbs, 153 from fat, 121 from protein.

« Reply #4690 on: 28 January, 2014, 12:56:16 pm »
Struggling to get the miles in on my fixed - too hilly around here for my longer commutes to be viable even running 63". Hit 180bpm going up the Chevin on fixed this morning, which isn't something I want to be doing every day. Going to start running again to burn some extra calories whilst the weather is grotty. Did 5km around the park at work before showering this morning. Felt lovely. First run since July.

« Reply #4691 on: 28 January, 2014, 01:09:44 pm »
Portion sizes are a funny business. No way could I last until lunchtime on the standard 35g cereal portion size.
Heh. My average day:
Wake 5:30, ride 8k to station, sit on train for 20 minutes, ride 1k to gym, row 2k, 20 minutes weights. Ride 1k to work.
Work (very sedentary) till noon.
Then start eating.
I don't even drink caffeinated coffee- just cream and brown flavouring, and that's after I get to work.

Fat as fuel. I've plenty to last till lunch.

« Reply #4692 on: 28 January, 2014, 01:14:56 pm »
Same here. Most days I have nothing to eat before lunch. Only liquid is decaf (black). Never really been a breakfast person.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #4693 on: 28 January, 2014, 01:31:15 pm »
Right, ok, go on then.....

I *am* a breakfast eater. I have tried not to eat it a few times, and have a 100% faint rate when doing it even though in theory I have MORE than enough fat to last till lunch.

So my days look generally like this:

Get up 4.45am, coffee
Some sort of ride- might be a couple of hours on the road, sometimes 90 mins on an easy day. Or maybe an interval session on turbo/spin bike for 60-80 mins. The outside rides hover around 70% HR, the interval sessions get up to around 95+% HR max. Sometimes a run also goes in here.

Breakfast is around 9-9.30.Trough of porridge with a banana, half scoop protein powder (mince pie flavour at mo mmmm) and linseeds. Sometimes go wild and throw raisins in as well, another coffee

11ish, decaff coffee and piece fruit or half a 9bar or something like that. Sometimes that 100 calorie popcorn stuff if I'm feeling rebellious

1pm ish 45 min weights session (I do 3 of these a week)

2pm lunch. Either a high protein meal replacement shake, cottage cheese salad, soup, something like that. On a rare occasion I treat myself to toast (ooooooo controversial)

3pm I'm still hungry but trying to ignore it so have a pepsi max instead (this stuff is like crack to me. I'm tempted to give it up but it fills me up for no calories so therein lies the reluctance even though I knowwwww its awful)

4-5pm piece of fruit with a yoghurt, the other half a 9bar, sometimes maybe a protein bar, some sort of snack thing anyway. And a coffee. (These are either/ors, not all of them!!!)

6-7pm in theory (hahahahahahahha)- ride after work for at least an hour. I'm never, however, out the office at 6-7, so it happens when it happens.

Dinner- maybe a chicken breast/fish/veggie substitute/chilli with veg, or whatever the rest of the family have had without the carb bit which I swap for vegetables. Or that fake 'eat water' pasta sh*t that has no calories but you try to kid yourself with. Sometimes I'm also totally extravagant and will have an occasional couple of squares chocolate, or some other treat item.

At the weekends, I generally ride 3 hours 70% on a Saturday, and 3 hours ridiculously hard with the fast club run on a Sunday. The Sat ride will shortly swap to TTs instead.

I'm still Too Fat. What would you do differently? For health reasons I can't do this ketosis stuff, and also I want to be able to keep the top end speed for intervals/tempo twice a week plus the club ride, so basically all week round.

Chris S

« Reply #4694 on: 28 January, 2014, 01:46:10 pm »
I could add a lot of geekery to this current discussion - I'm monitoring a great deal at the moment (including blood testing); interesting to me while ICBA.

Suffice to say a typical day: 16/8 daily fasting, macros roughly Carbs: <50g a day, Protein: 1.5g/Kg LBM so generally about 100g a day, the rest - is fat; to satiety.
Ketosis? Yes - LC, don't do this diet :). Activity: Cycling, rowing, 3x weights sessions a week, occasional audax.
I'm still chained to a desk 8 hours a day - and still count as "sedentary".

I was always a breakfasty person. When I first played with a keto diet, I found breakfast a bit samey as I can't eat eggs, so it was berries and cream or German breakfasts. Not having breakfast is a brilliant solution! Hunger is almost never an issue - even when we do the first 100km of an audax, fasted. But a high fat diet will do that.

« Reply #4695 on: 28 January, 2014, 01:51:09 pm »
What would you do differently?
Less.
8 hours sleep every night.
No long rides before work- either half an hour max effort no more than 2x a week or an hour at a HR so slow you could be walking. Running is for fun for you, but are you doing it slowly enough?
Skip the pepsi max- you know it's shite. Fizzy water?

There's nothing wrong with what you're eating, you're not fat enough to 'need' to do low carb diets. You're overstressing your body with never really resting. Have you tried yoga?

I'm losing weight by not eating carbs because I've got a metric fuckton to lose. You haven't, so it's bound to be harder.

simonp

« Reply #4696 on: 28 January, 2014, 01:57:17 pm »
I usually go without breakfast. I tried the above breakfast then cycling to work. Nearly threw up on Red Hill.

I am feeling slightly hungry after a small lunch to compensate for large breakfast today.

« Reply #4697 on: 28 January, 2014, 01:57:40 pm »
I'm being coached for TTs fboab...... I'm following that schedule. It's working really well other than the weight issue (both physically and mentally) so I want to stick to it. There is rest put into it- there are some evenings off- there are some days where it's just one 90 min ride, then there are harder days......

I totally accept the pepsi max comment, and you're right fizzy water probably is the answer.

Yoga? Well, err, I have done in the past, but I don't have time to fit a class in, and I'd never really do it at home, back in the day I used to teach pilates. My way of 'relaxing' is just to read. I never really got into yoga.

I appreciate I'm not going to be the oversized person on supersize v superskinny, but I need to lose at least half a stone, and a whole one would be more ideal. I can't lose *any* which is what's driving me mental. There's plenty there to lose, if I lost 2 stone I wouldn't be too thin. Well, maybe a bit. But certainly 1.5 stone would be fine.

Chris S

« Reply #4698 on: 28 January, 2014, 02:00:36 pm »
I am feeling slightly hungry after a small lunch to compensate for large breakfast today.

Yes - this is one of the main arguments put forward by advocaats advocates of 16/8 eating patterns; breakfast makes you hungrier for the rest of the day - especially if it's carby and kicks off a blood-sugar surge/crash cycle.

simonp

« Reply #4699 on: 28 January, 2014, 02:09:23 pm »
I could've had a much larger lunch if I'd not had a custard donut for elevenses.

(Well I could hardly bring unhealthy goodies into the office on my birthday then abstain myself!).