Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300696 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4775 on: 12 February, 2014, 03:22:37 pm »
Waistlines are made in the kitchen, mostly.

Thanks fboab, that sums up this thread entirely.  :thumbsup:

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #4776 on: 12 February, 2014, 04:48:05 pm »
Put on half a kilo. Bl**dy audax...

the inevitable mid-week recovery munching.
quite.

« Reply #4777 on: 12 February, 2014, 07:52:52 pm »
having steadily lost 0.5kg/week since the start of the year I've put on a kilo this week. Church curry night on monday and work providing pizza for lunch yesterday get the blame.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4778 on: 12 February, 2014, 10:26:03 pm »
Managed to shift over a kg in the right direction this week. surprised at that as I have done No Exercise to speak of!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #4779 on: 13 February, 2014, 10:06:12 am »
I'm stress eating a lot at the moment, which I wish I had the will power to stop, but I don't. This isn't resulting in any weight loss. Quite the opposite in fact.

« Reply #4780 on: 13 February, 2014, 10:21:19 am »
I think I'm managing to gradually change some long held habits. Not snacking is becoming less of an effort and more normal.
Having an occasional treat feels much more of an actual treat and I can have a little chocolate or a single biscuit and feel 'treated' which really wasn't the case before. Still struggling with breakfast thou'...
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4781 on: 13 February, 2014, 10:43:56 am »
My appetite has changed radically of late.  I used to like a decent breakfast, lighter lunch, and big evening meal.  But now I don't feel like breakfast at all (something I know I'm going to have to overcome when I get back to bike commuting), and don't particularly feel like eating more than, say, a cheese butty in the evening, though I try to cook something because we need to get vegetables into TGL (and keep Butterfly properly fed, too).  When I've eaten, I feel overfull and a bit crap, though.

So it's hard for me to regulate my food intake, because I can't rely on my 'standard' options any more.  Got to get to grips with it.
Getting there...

« Reply #4782 on: 13 February, 2014, 12:00:35 pm »
It is incredible how many of the weight chart graphs do a slow climb up to 1 Jan, and then dive  ;D

« Reply #4783 on: 13 February, 2014, 02:46:21 pm »
 Suppose you gain 4 lbs per year over winter  and don't then lose it in the following  spring /summer .
After 5 years of that you have gained 20lbs and thinking "where did all that come from?".
Then you try to lose it all in 3 months and it's hard work.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4784 on: 13 February, 2014, 03:38:25 pm »
It is incredible how many of the weight chart graphs do a slow climb up to 1 Jan, and then dive  ;D

It is. I don't understand why that climb is so slow.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4785 on: 13 February, 2014, 04:55:54 pm »
Initial weight gain or loss following a binge or fast is rapid as most of the weight is not fat.
Fat is very concentrated and shifts slowly in either direction.

« Reply #4786 on: 14 February, 2014, 07:56:53 am »
Initial weight gain or loss following a binge or fast is rapid as most of the weight is not fat.
Fat is very concentrated and shifts slowly in either direction.

This is true.

After a great deal of practice, a reasonable measure of fat% can be got from a three point caliper test that can be self conducted.

Tricep ( the bingo wing ), Bicep and the suprailliac fold.

A Fat % difference is detectable two - three days after starve or feast.

For a 'normal' human, 0.5% fat is 0.25mm at the Tricep, abt 0.1mm at the bicep and 1mm at the Suprailliac fold.

« Reply #4787 on: 14 February, 2014, 08:08:16 am »
Waistlines are made in the kitchen, mostly.

Thanks fboab, that sums up this thread entirely.  :thumbsup:

Mine was made in the bar at the Barley Mow.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4788 on: 14 February, 2014, 06:26:40 pm »
Got a wee shock on my bodyfat analyser scales the other day - I'm 6'2", and apparently 180 lbs, and 51% body fat, 17% water...

:o

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4789 on: 14 February, 2014, 07:17:19 pm »
Got a wee shock on my bodyfat analyser scales the other day - I'm 6'2", and apparently 180 lbs, and 51% body fat, 17% water...

Such scales are known to be inaccurate and your result would confirm this.
If you were 5'2" I might believe it...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4790 on: 14 February, 2014, 09:09:26 pm »

Such scales are known to be inaccurate and your result would confirm this.
If you were 5'2" I might believe it...

Well, I do appear to be developing a mobile mug rest belly...   :o >:(

« Reply #4791 on: 15 February, 2014, 10:43:38 pm »
Had a week away on business on expenses, so I was pleased that I didn't put on any weight, although secretly disappointed that I didn't shift any either, having eaten variations on chicken salads at Pizza Express, Pain de Quiteden, and Cote on consecutive days, as well a 2 sessions in the hotel 'Gym'.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #4792 on: 17 February, 2014, 09:20:08 am »
The weekend was a crash course in crash weight gain, a steak and profiterole fest on Friday, a boozy tapas extravaganza on Saturday, and making a massive vat of curry on sunday (plus on hand unlimited cookies and ferraro rocher)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4793 on: 18 February, 2014, 12:33:12 pm »
I am beginning to notice at my Pilates class that my belly has shrunk. It's no longer a wrestling match (at least, not to the same degree) when I do any exercise that involves lying on my front.

simonp

« Reply #4794 on: 18 February, 2014, 10:14:28 pm »
I felt (and was) really slow during the second half of the Glastonbury 100 miler on Sunday, then felt really tired afterwards and on waking yesterday morning. I was only yesterday afternoon I realised I’d been coming down with something. At least I have a ready-made excuse for not losing any weight this week on tomorrow’s weigh-in.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4795 on: 19 February, 2014, 08:13:27 am »
114kg=18st.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4796 on: 19 February, 2014, 08:24:13 am »
The measure for ‘Fat-bellyness’.

Lie on the floor. Relax. Place a spirit level diagonally from one Thoracic peak to the opposite acetabulum ( hip peak ).
If the spirit level is held above either of these two points by the belly, the belly is too big.

« Reply #4797 on: 19 February, 2014, 08:34:27 am »
80kg=much better than a week including several family packs of revels and excluding any walking or weight lifting has any right to be.

It's much harder to lay off the sugar when you're feeling this crappy.

essexian

« Reply #4798 on: 19 February, 2014, 08:39:29 am »
Found a brilliant way to lose weight this week....get sick  :facepalm:

Not really felt like eating since I picked up a cold from that London last week, so managed to drop just over a kilo. I suppose it will return next week once I feel better. Sigh.

I suppose I could try the tapeworm diet as mentioned in the Cycling Weakly this week......

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4799 on: 19 February, 2014, 09:55:08 am »
Having a cold hasn't worked for me: 100g up on last week. I'm basically in stasis this month. I put it down to being wimpish with the fasting and only managing 6:1 instead of 5:2. More self control is the only way, but I need to shrug off this cold first...
Embrace your inner Fred.