Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300595 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4825 on: 25 February, 2014, 08:04:24 am »
mattc's right - preparing a healthy post-ride snack is probably a better option.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #4826 on: 25 February, 2014, 11:06:40 am »
I have recovery drink mix, strawberries and cream flavour, which is a lot more palatable than most of the options described upthread.

I had a low-carb dinner last night (omelette and salad). Left me feeling hungry all evening so I had some oatcakes with cheese (chilli and pepper cheese - yum) before bed.

« Reply #4827 on: 25 February, 2014, 12:36:53 pm »
My eating philosophy on bike rides is ‘eat for the next two hours’, so when the ride finishes, I don’t need to eat for about two hours.

Chris S

« Reply #4828 on: 26 February, 2014, 08:34:33 am »
Bit of a Pig-Out yesterday; >4000kcals and waaaaay too much protein and carbohydrate. And booze  :o.

Once in a while is OK, and it helped moderate what looked like being an excessive weight-loss for the week.

« Reply #4829 on: 26 February, 2014, 09:14:50 am »
Todays weight looks great.

Post-ride de-hydration ftw!

I don't really get that 'MUST EAT ALL TEH FOODZ' post-ride any more. Yesterday's audax (210km of wind assist, 9 hours riding HR~135) I didn't eat much at all, either during or after. 2000 calories, maybe? Perhaps more, I haven't counted properly, but not much more than I'd eat sitting on my arse all day here in the office.

I have started having protein recovery shiz after the gym though- I counted religiously for a week and wasn't hitting 100g/protein most days, which is what I 'should' be getting for muscle building. I make it into hot chocolate- this probably destroys any benefit, but being protein has a high satiety and lasts me ~4hours, till the lunchtime cheese-fest.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4830 on: 26 February, 2014, 10:40:31 am »
Up a little on last week, but we did have a weekend away involving beer, English breakfasts and pub evening meals.

I think it's known as a rounding error.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

simonp

« Reply #4831 on: 26 February, 2014, 10:42:34 am »
I am still an exercise-free zone, having still not recovered from last week's cold.

Lost 0.1kg this week.

« Reply #4832 on: 26 February, 2014, 11:40:44 am »
Another 0.2kg down, but not worried as still on track and a weekend Audax usually upsets the subsequent weigh in.

Hopefully I'll get time to nip to the work gym this afternoon for a quick run between meetings.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #4833 on: 26 February, 2014, 12:15:21 pm »
Week before last kept the intake down all week and had chicken salad 3 days in a row: No weightloss.
This week,12 bags of crisps, few beers and friday= fish & chips, saturday= Prezzo Pizza, Sunday= Pub Roast: Lost 0.5kg.

I don't understand my body!
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #4834 on: 26 February, 2014, 12:36:56 pm »
Same as last week. Too much stress at mo and comfort eating to compensate, but at least weather is better so more bike time to use up calories.

« Reply #4835 on: 26 February, 2014, 06:38:51 pm »
Hmm. Three pounds loss over nine weeks is a bit close to noise.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #4836 on: 26 February, 2014, 07:56:40 pm »
I typed this at work yesterday, before the weigh in. If I just keep it to myself, I might follow it. If I broadcast it to all of YACF, there will be more pressure.  :demon:

I need to stop having two rolls when I’m not doing extra exercise.
When we were on the ‘big’ diet I coped with one, even when I’d been swimming (most of the time).
I only switched to having two when the lunchtime rides became regular enough that I was raiding the café or the sweet machine most days.

So, I will bring two rolls in on Mondays.
If I don’t have do ‘serious’ exercise (ride longer than home and back or a run) I will only eat one and will put the other in the fridge.
If there is one in the fridge already (or I know that I will be not exercising) I will bring in just one.

Or at least I’ll try.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4837 on: 27 February, 2014, 06:51:40 am »
Up 0.5kg this week.

This is the result of no fasting whatsoever, plus eating like a starving man during yesterday's 200k DIY with the headwind from Hell.

So I've now established the following:

No fasting = weight gain
6:1 fasting = stable weight
5:2 fasting = weight loss

Willpower, where did you go?
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #4838 on: 27 February, 2014, 08:27:45 am »
Goodness, have you just proved to yourself what I said 50 pages ago?

Willpower is a really shit way of doing anything. It means it's a continuous battle, using a finite resource. Here's the American Psychologists Associations take:

http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/willpower.aspx?item=4

Much more effective is creating good habits and hunger management.

DrMekon is the expert but the the theories are here:

http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/willpower.aspx?item=6

« Reply #4839 on: 27 February, 2014, 10:10:50 am »
The alternative to 'Willpower' is 'Hospital'.

Have you seen their food?  Or lack of it.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4840 on: 27 February, 2014, 10:36:16 am »
Goodness, have you just proved to yourself what I said 50 pages ago?

Willpower is a really shit way of doing anything. It means it's a continuous battle, using a finite resource. Here's the American Psychologists Associations take:

http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/willpower.aspx?item=4

Much more effective is creating good habits and hunger management.

DrMekon is the expert but the the theories are here:

http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/willpower.aspx?item=6

From the study you linked to:

"adolescents who had more self-control problems in sixth grade — such as talking out of turn in class or acting without thinking — were more likely to use alcohol, tobacco and marijuana as high school juniors."

Yep. Guilty as charged, your Honour.

"exerting willpower in one sphere can undermine your capacity to resist temptations in other, unrelated areas of life. "

So, basically, when I gave up smoking 14 years ago, it depleted my willpower so I started drinking more alcohol.
Then, when I gave up drinking alcohol 18 months ago, it depleted my willpower so I started eating more 'bad' food.
Yeah, sounds about right.

So, following this logic, if I give up eating 'bad' food and stop overeating, it will deplete my willpoer so I will start.....what? Riding ridiculous distances on my bike? Spending way too much time on the internet?  Becoming a sex addict? Taking intravenous drugs?

Aha.

"The “out of sight, out of mind” principle applies to adults, too. One recent study, for instance, found office workers who kept candy in a desk drawer indulged less than when they kept the candy on top of their desks, in plain sight.

Another helpful tactic for improving self-control is a technique that psychologists call an “implementation intention.” Usually these intentions take the form of “if-then” statements that help people plan for situations that are likely to foil their resolve. For example, someone who’s watching her alcohol intake might tell herself before a party, “If anyone offers me a drink, then I’ll ask for club soda with lime.” Research among adolescents and adults has found that implementation intentions improve self-control, even among people whose willpower has been depleted by laboratory tasks. Having a plan in place ahead of time may allow you to make decisions in the moment without having to draw on your willpower."

Okay, so...

If someone suggests I ride a 400, I'll just ride a 200 instead.
I'll keep the computer/smartphone/tablet switched off or hidden away for 2/3 of the day.
If someone tries it on with me, or I find I'm attracted to them, I'll blurt out that I'm married and have kids. Usually works. Unless it's my wife making the advances of course.
If I'm offered intravenous drugs*, I'll just drop an eccy instead. Hmm, may need work that. "Just Say No"?

Aha. (2)

"Being depleted in one area can reduce willpower in other spheres, so it makes more sense to focus on a single goal at a time. In other words, don’t try to quit smoking, adopt a healthy diet and start a new exercise plan at the same time. Taking goals one by one is a better approach. Once a good habit is in place, Baumeister says, you’ll no longer need to draw on your willpower to maintain the behavior. Eventually healthy habits will become routine, and won’t require making decisions at all."

So, focus on the diet and let the audax, internet, shagging, and drugs** take care of themselves, then?

Life is complicated!

* - Highly unlikely given my age, lifestyle and lack of attending druggy parties in the past decade or so, but you never know.
** - Actually I threw the drugs in there just for a laugh, I gave 'recreational' drugs up long before quitting smoking.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #4841 on: 27 February, 2014, 10:38:06 am »
I finally watched the Sugar vs Fat doc, where they were very critical of losing muscle mass, so I haven't been too bothered about my weight gain.

1. Wasn't able to fast due to lots of social events
2. I'm weight training

« Reply #4842 on: 28 February, 2014, 09:04:42 am »
Somehow or the other, I got back from a week of face stuffing fest in Canada without putting on much at all. One thing I discovered was that the Canadians actually brew some very decent beer.

« Reply #4843 on: 28 February, 2014, 09:30:33 am »
Bang goes my weight loss, I am going to spend too many nights in the near future living away from home and eating out in the evening.  :(

Fitting into my suit at my sisters wedding has just gone to 'at risk'

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4844 on: 28 February, 2014, 10:09:49 am »
The crap weather, being away too much, domestic stresses, being back on the booze and general apathy have reversed the gains I've made (losses I've made?). Bum and double bum.

simonp

« Reply #4845 on: 28 February, 2014, 06:20:52 pm »
0.8kg weight loss in 5 weeks.

Pretty much spot on for the calorie deficit I am running.

Chris S

« Reply #4846 on: 28 February, 2014, 08:23:45 pm »

IIRC, you eat a fairly low-carb diet; in the order of 100g a day, is that right?

For Reference, normal "Western diet" would be 300g (Europe) and 500g (USA).

simonp

« Reply #4847 on: 28 February, 2014, 08:40:19 pm »

IIRC, you eat a fairly low-carb diet; in the order of 100g a day, is that right?

For Reference, normal "Western diet" would be 300g (Europe) and 500g (USA).

Examples from this week suggest not:

Monday, 226g carbs, 107g fat, 91g protein. (2422 kcals)
Tuesday, 267g carbs, 41g fat, 64g protein.  (1777 kcals)
Wednesday, 175g carbs, 56g fat, 122g protein. (1949 kcals)

I tend to eat slightly lower carbs and more fat and protein than the recommended amounts, but it’s not far off.

Chris S

« Reply #4848 on: 28 February, 2014, 08:48:50 pm »
Fair enough. Bang goes that theory!

« Reply #4849 on: 05 March, 2014, 10:22:10 am »
Just over 0.5kg this week.