Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300445 times)

crowriver

• Крис Б
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4850 on: 05 March, 2014, 10:37:47 am »
All readings are stable, Captain. Sensors indicate no change.
Embrace your inner Fred.

simonp

« Reply #4851 on: 05 March, 2014, 10:49:41 am »
200g lost. So now just need to lose another 100g and I'll be back to 'lightweight' for Concept II rankings. Hallelujah!

(6 pancakes last night, but I was careful* to eat sod all earlier in the day, in preparation, so allegedly I stayed under my calorie target. Though I did have to eat left-over cake I made for Hummers' and Postie's visit on Monday, and left-overs of the paella I made on Monday night, to get me to pancake time).

* I missed the sandwich guy at work, so just had a tin of soup for lunch.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4852 on: 05 March, 2014, 11:46:40 am »
Minor post-audax weight gain...

I've been Eating for England since Sunday. I'd forgotten quite how bad this side effect can be.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4853 on: 05 March, 2014, 11:58:28 am »

I've been Eating for England since Sunday. I'd forgotten quite how bad this side effect can be.

That's your body telling you you didn't eat enough carbs during the ride.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4854 on: 05 March, 2014, 12:06:43 pm »

I'm not sure it's either desirable or possible to eat enough carbs on an Audax.

red marley

« Reply #4855 on: 05 March, 2014, 12:14:29 pm »

No, it's your body worrying that you might be doing another one next weekend and getting its retaliation in early.

citoyen

« Reply #4856 on: 05 March, 2014, 12:19:13 pm »

I'm not sure it's either desirable or possible to eat enough carbs on an Audax.

Indeed.

I think it's mainly a case of not being used to it since I haven't done it for a while.

Although jo could also be right - especially since I am indeed doing another one next weekend.

« Reply #4857 on: 05 March, 2014, 10:15:58 pm »
I've joined a new spinning studio. It's in a converted pub in the City. The instructors have playlists on the website so you can avoid the ones with really shit taste in music. I 'cycled' 14 miles in 45 minutes including some fairly mean 'hills'; it's amazing what you can do without wind resistance, traffic lights, junctions, having to watch out for hazards etc  8)

I have no idea if I've lost anything, due to deliberately not owning scales. Got a doctor's appt in two weeks so I'll ask to jump on their scales then. I know I should really have measured myself right from the start, ho hum. Never mind, I'll know when my jeans are looser.

I'm still doing my yoga for cyclists class which focuses of strengthening core muscles as well as stretching out those shortened by cycling. Myfitnesspal reckons I'm always well under on protein so I'm persevering with a less than tasty hemp-based protein shake. It couldn't look more vile (sludgy green) if it tried so it must be good for you (in fairness, I don't think it has half the crap in it that some powders do). It does help stem The Hunger though.

« Reply #4858 on: 06 March, 2014, 06:55:49 am »
The trouble with music at spinning class is the tempo doesn't suit everyone's 95% MHR.

The trouble with measuring distance at spinning class is you never know how much you have ( simulated ) climbed, and how fast the theoretical downhill is.

The trouble with protein shakes is they only taste good if they have Crusha in them and they are poured over a giant slice of apple pie.

If you really want to drink green sludge to survive, become an astronaut.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4859 on: 06 March, 2014, 07:13:07 am »
Definately going in the wrong direction,  But life is a bit s**t at the moment.    Back on the streight and narrow ASAP.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

essexian

« Reply #4860 on: 06 March, 2014, 09:12:16 am »
Well and truly stuck at the moment: no weight loss in three weeks.

I suppose having lost 2 stone since I started back in October, my body has lost the "easy" weight so now I am actually having to try to lose more. Its not easy and anyone who says it is, is one of the lucky ones.

No food for me this week then...well apart from this fried breakfast....  ;D :facepalm:

« Reply #4861 on: 06 March, 2014, 10:25:12 am »
Still making slow but steady progress. A loss of 7.5kg since starting (from an admittedly fairly high point, so to be expected), a 2" reduction in waist measurement, and without feeling too hungry (as opposed to the odd craving) most of the time.  Main changes have been lunchtimes at work - now a banana and a protein-and-oat drink. Oh, and a total lack of visits to the vending machine for crisps or chocolate bars and no partaking of the birthday cakes of others. Breakfast is home made muesli, but with a spoonful of Greek yogurt and some honey on it. Dinners are pretty much unchanged, but I have stopped doing anything coated in breadcrumbs and fried, and reduced potato, rice, pasta and mayo consumption.  Oh, and I'm down to 1 bottle of wine a week instead of 3 (thats a hard one, leaving a half bottle un-drunk on a Friday evening!) All quite easy as my wife eats as much as a sparrow!

Willpower is really the key, but that's not news. I once read that most cravings can be overcome if they can be resisted for 6 minutes. I just hope I have the willpower to reduce intake further when the inevitable plateau is reached (as it appears to have been for Essexian), it's really quite a salutary lesson to see how few calories a body really needs to survive a mainly sedentary existence.  :-\
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4862 on: 06 March, 2014, 10:29:32 am »
You need a target Geoff.

Design and recce some new routes from the Pretty Pigs.

Wellesbourne Airfield Cafe, Kidderminster SVR, Penkridge and back to the Pigs is 201 km.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4863 on: 06 March, 2014, 01:21:26 pm »
My waist and hip measurements are static.
I have not been weighed for a while.
My size 12 trousers are neither tighter nor looser than they have been for ages.
I am not eating very much but will have to eat less...
... while baking cakes for my David. David seems to scoff the CAEK, which I hardly touch!

« Reply #4864 on: 06 March, 2014, 06:42:53 pm »
Oops,,, there was a birthday in the office today and I ate SIX meat samosas.

At 350 cals EACH  :o

Did 700 cals cycling home so still 1400 too much. No dinner tonight.

« Reply #4865 on: 06 March, 2014, 09:02:41 pm »
You need a target Geoff.

Design and recce some new routes from the Pretty Pigs.

Wellesbourne Airfield Cafe, Kidderminster SVR, Penkridge and back to the Pigs is 201 km.

Done  see July for a 4th day in the pub for me.  again not good for weight loss.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-616/
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #4866 on: 06 March, 2014, 09:44:20 pm »
All I remember of Edith Weston was a RAF field. North Luffenham.

I did a 200 DIY out that way, but I went up Kings Hill.  :facepalm:

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4867 on: 06 March, 2014, 11:01:33 pm »
UP 1.5 Kilo's is BAD! :hand:

It's too late for me, save yourselves! :P
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

simonp

« Reply #4868 on: 07 March, 2014, 12:23:20 pm »
I'm back to what I weighed in October. So still a couple of kilos heavier than 12 months ago.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4869 on: 07 March, 2014, 02:11:24 pm »
Down 1kg since my 22 February weigh-in, but still marginally heavier than at the start of the year.
Constipated despite figs, beans, lots of fruit & veg, raw oats for breakfast.
Was told I had an unhealthy attitude to food & fat when discussing normalising obesity In Another Place.

citoyen

« Reply #4870 on: 10 March, 2014, 11:47:14 am »
Interestingly, after yesterday's 200, I don't feel nearly as hungry as I did after last week's 200, despite having eaten far less overall throughout the day (I think I ate less but ate better this time, and drank a lot more this time, which I'm sure makes a difference). We'll see if that continues over the next couple of days...

Lost 1.5kg between yesterday morning and today, but presume most of that is dehydration.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #4871 on: 10 March, 2014, 01:27:48 pm »
After a steady climb through January and February my weight is starting to turn down again.  I do not worry about what I eat in the Winter months and I certainly drink more beer. I finished the final four bottles of beer from Christmas and will not buy any more for the house until next November. Together with a more concerned attitude to snacking between meals this will allow my weight to drop steadily. Day to day variations are difficult to predict but I am hoping to be under 80kg again one day this week, against 81.9Kg on 7th February. Next week is more of a concern, I have a ski trip to negotiate and despite day long sport my diet will be terrible.  I drink lots of Coca Cola, beer,  peanuts, chips and other things I do not normally eat.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4872 on: 10 March, 2014, 02:30:14 pm »
David's weight was up to 62kg last night.
He got roped into health screening when I went for my flu jab today.
Nurse weighed him at 62kg in clothes and shoes.
Told him he should weigh 69kg.
David is unimpressed!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4873 on: 10 March, 2014, 06:06:12 pm »
After David's partial health screening today (he still needs a blood test to check his sugar, cholesterol etc), he was told he should weigh more.
He has a BMI of 20.5 and a comfortable subcutaneous layer.
He is lean but not emaciated.
We think that obesity (or at least fatness) are being normalised and that this is unhealthy.
I have been slated Elsewhere for having a 'dangerous' attitude to food and fat.
I think unhealthy eating habits are being normalised by society and the food industry.
I don't think our latest encounter with the NHS was helpful...

citoyen

« Reply #4874 on: 10 March, 2014, 06:19:18 pm »
We think that obesity (or at least fatness) are being normalised and that this is unhealthy.

Funnily enough, after reading your earlier post I googled for the most widely accepted definitions of "ideal bodyweights" according to age and height and came to much the same conclusion.