Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300764 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5000 on: 21 May, 2014, 06:31:11 am »
Another 0.5kg, which is a bit of a surprise really as yesterday was a bit of a heavy eating day.

Hey ho.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #5001 on: 22 May, 2014, 11:55:37 pm »
Managed to shift 0.8kg this week so it's back in the right direction and I have finally managed to persuade myself to take the Obesity problem seriously. I  actually gained over 9 stones in 4 years and have kept it level at that for the past 9 years with minor variations.
As of NOW. Every Wednesday that I weigh myself and have not lost a minimum of 1.8kg I will put a £1.00 coin in the cancer care Poor Box.
This is a strong motivator cos I is from Yorkshire innit and we love money like dwarfs love Glod!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #5002 on: 23 May, 2014, 11:33:08 am »
I'm closing in on a target that I have been striving to achieve, albeit with significantly less determination for about six years.   The trend is in the right direction, the losses consistent, the body gradually morphing into something like I was in 2008.   3.4kgs to go which is 9 weeks at current loss rates ...

I have a comfy and much worn pair of Craghopper Bear Gryls shorts which I can now pull on with the buttons and fly already fastened.   A belt is most definitely required.    :thumbsup:

essexian

« Reply #5003 on: 23 May, 2014, 11:42:28 am »
Off to buy a new pair of scales later as these ones seem to be broken...well I have stayed the same weight for the last couple of months. Must be something to do with Hookes Law.....*

It can't be my fault can it  :facepalm:

* And yes, I know the scales being electronic won't be troubled by Hookes Law.

« Reply #5004 on: 23 May, 2014, 12:11:37 pm »
I haven't been around these parts much recently.

However, I did a couple of things
a) gave up my terrible diet coke/*insert all other fizzy pop and squash etc drinks here* habit. I also gave up caffeinated coffee and only drink decaff and water. Removing pepsi max from my life was one of the hardest things ever but I'm now clear of it.
b) I became vegan

Something worked, not sure what. Any time cookies, chocolate, cakes are in the office, I'm not even remotely tempted by them. I don't want them.

« Reply #5005 on: 23 May, 2014, 12:45:38 pm »
... I'll also try and emulate Bledlow by exercising more and harder ...
Not emulating me. Illness has kept my exercise levels down to depressingly low levels lately, & that means I have to remember to eat less. But my trousers have got tighter.  :(

I need a new immune system.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5006 on: 23 May, 2014, 01:59:14 pm »
I seem to be on a plateau, though I have not been weighed recently.
I can't really grumble...

« Reply #5007 on: 23 May, 2014, 02:14:42 pm »
We have switched to the Rosemary Conley system and I am losing on plan and the beloved is staying the same but is on meds which have the side effect of weight gain so effectively she is "losing". I am the lightest for some- cough- 35 years. Now sub 12 st 10 and heading by my next weigh day for sub 12-7. I can see as a genuine prospect being sub 12 st which I was last at 17 or so. I am 60 in a few months so to say I am pleased is putting it mildly. Cue fanfare and champers!

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

simonp

« Reply #5008 on: 23 May, 2014, 03:05:17 pm »
Should be compulsory reading:

triathlon.competitor.com/2014/04/nutrition/5-signs-diet-diet-cult_98094

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5009 on: 23 May, 2014, 08:52:53 pm »
If you describe your diet as 'low junk', does that make it a cult?  ;)

Chris S

« Reply #5010 on: 23 May, 2014, 10:05:05 pm »
If you describe your diet as 'low junk', does that make it a cult?  ;)

Yes. Very much YES.

Generally, I eat a real food diet. Meat, veg, fruit (in that order). People think it's a fad diet because it's (consequentially) high fat, low carb; and doesn't appear on the "approved" list of NHS diets. Bizarrely, Weight Watchers does which allows you to eat doughnuts if you "have the points". Weight watchers is the Carbon Offset fraud of the dietary world.

« Reply #5011 on: 24 May, 2014, 08:48:41 am »
I do know a few people that have done really well with WW. But all those fake WW cake things you see in the supermarkets- lemon slices, choc brownies all about 100 calories- they look horrible, kind of like eating air with artificial flavouring. They look really unsatisfying. I have a really sweet tooth but even I would rather eat a banana for the calories, they just look a total waste.

I'm now getting a few 'don't take it any further' comments. I can't get used to being called skinny, it feels a bit weird. Slightly ironic really as I haven't been healthy enough to do any exercise in about a month, and that's the time the weight has just dropped off really quickly!

« Reply #5012 on: 24 May, 2014, 10:24:16 am »
unfortunately I have rather slipped up for the last few weeks, hotel breakfast, sandwich and rolos for lunch and a restaurant meal in the evening has resulted in a significant weight gain. I am back up to 12st 10lb from 12st 2lb 4 weeks ago.

I blame working away from home but realise I need to get back to what worked at the start of the time away, namely cooked breakfast at 7am, no lunch and a restaurant meal at 7pm.

« Reply #5013 on: 24 May, 2014, 10:27:39 am »
I do know a few people that have done really well with WW. But all those fake WW cake things you see in the supermarkets- lemon slices, choc brownies all about 100 calories- they look horrible, kind of like eating air with artificial flavouring. They look really unsatisfying. I have a really sweet tooth but even I would rather eat a banana for the calories, they just look a total waste.
They are much as you describe. When I was doing WW seriously we didn't bother, but people have bought them for me at work and the like. I would far rather have one decent cake as a real treat, once a month than those things every day or week.
WW is all a question of budgeting. And one should always budget the luxuries first. (Or at least, those treats you really would find life pretty poor without. In my case it was beer.)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #5014 on: 24 May, 2014, 11:11:14 am »
Yes, when I did WW very successfully (I lost 8st 2lbs in 10 months, and kept it off for five years, although 3 stone has reappeared since then), it worked very well to retrain me to budget for the nice things. So yes, I did have doughnuts, but I knew that if I had one then I couldn't have some other stuff and over time I found I wanted the fruit more than the unhealthy stuff. And the WW-brand low-fat foods didn't taste good after a while so I was able to do without them.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #5015 on: 24 May, 2014, 11:18:46 am »
I've found that too AH. Since I don't even have anything as 'treats', I seem to crave fruit more than chocolate. Instead of wanting it all the time but denying myself it, I'm not really interested now!

Although subconsciously maybe it's just that I'm much preferring being a size 6-8 now instead of my usual 10-12

simonp

« Reply #5016 on: 24 May, 2014, 11:22:00 am »
I've lost 1kg in the last week presumably because I rode over 700km over the weekend. I'm monitoring my calorie intake ATM and going to read the Diet Cults book once I've finished reading Michael Hurchinson's brilliant 'faster'.

I've got Matt Fitzgerald's cookbook. Many of his recipes would not look out of place in a paleo cookbook, but he rejects that philosophy because it's unscientific, and many recipes would clearly not make a paleo or low carb advocate happy. For example, I made his pearl barley and tomato soup. It was /very/ filling and had a low calorie content. I watched a youtube interview (quite long, 40 minutes) yesterday where he argued that human evolution has been all about dietary adaptability and we have the ability to thrive on a huge range of diets as a result. Which is why the Inuit (high fat, high protein, low carb), and the Tukisenta (94% carb) both exist. What differs between the Tukisenta carb source (sweet potato) and a doughnut is quality.

simonp

« Reply #5017 on: 27 May, 2014, 03:29:54 pm »
Yesterday weighed in at 73.6kg. This is getting close to where I was a year ago in the build-up to LEL.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5018 on: 27 May, 2014, 07:58:39 pm »
I've not been here since February ish. I've not lost any of my Christmas weight. I've not added, but I can't lose it. I've been stuck between 10st 6 and 10st 8 all year. My cycling is at the Peak now given the longer days and I am watching what I am eating, to no avail.

I know that I could start running and the weight would fall off, but I love my knees to much to risk undoing 2 years of absence.

« Reply #5019 on: 28 May, 2014, 08:57:47 am »
Up 1 Kg today, but some sort of of stomach last couple of days so hopefully will all 'clear' itself quickly!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5020 on: 28 May, 2014, 01:12:04 pm »
Back under 70kg today. Hurrah! I've let my standards slip lately but I really need get back on track. I had been hoping to get down from 67kg to 64kg by the time of the Brimstone 600 but I was actually nearer 71kg. I'm sure that extra ballast is part of the reason I DNFed. Not only that but I suspect my stomach problems on the ride were considerably exacerbated by my relatively unhealthy lifestyle over the last couple of months. Ho hum.

I've now got until September to get down to my target weight before the hilly trail marathon I'm running then...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5021 on: 28 May, 2014, 06:47:27 pm »
Up.
This is due to a week in a pub with nice meals (the cheese board was so tempting).
Trouble is I'm back there next week and the week after...
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Jakob

« Reply #5022 on: 30 May, 2014, 10:31:52 pm »
Down 8kg in 15 days, courtesy a liver & blood infection. Lost a lot of muscle too, though...I can now pinch the skin on my calf, which I haven't been able to do for years..

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5023 on: 30 May, 2014, 11:00:14 pm »
Down 8kg in 15 days, courtesy a liver & blood infection. Lost a lot of muscle too, though...I can now pinch the skin on my calf, which I haven't been able to do for years..

Get Well Soon!

Your weight loss is only partly fat. (The rest is water, glycogen, muscle and more.)
Don't expect to be 'bouncing like Tigger' until you have regained around 5.5kg.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #5024 on: 03 June, 2014, 11:33:35 am »
I dropped 4kg in 8 days recently, but I wouldn't recommend the method (it involved a craniotomy, which left me in no condition to eat much).
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher