Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300411 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5050 on: 29 June, 2014, 07:57:25 pm »
We must be rather different builds.  I'm 5'8" and if I go  below 10st 10lbs I look (and feel) on the verge of anorexia.
Yup. I've got mountain goat build.

My Dad, who also cycles is 5'7" and is currently weighing in at 9st 10lbs. He has a very physical job as a butcher as well.

I am generally a 30" waist and 34" chest when it comes to suit jackets and a 14 and half " neck.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #5051 on: 29 June, 2014, 10:02:17 pm »
Ah, definitely a different build then.  For my chest to go down to 34", somebody would have to take a hammer to my ribs.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #5052 on: 05 July, 2014, 08:41:35 pm »
2 week weigh in. 10st 5.4lbs. Total lost so far 4.6lbs.

It's amazing as you eat less, your body craves food even less. A great way of resetting my metabolism and hunger signs.

Finding keeping to a 1820 calories a day diet fairly easy to stick too. Just means I cannot snack which probably highlights the problem I had over the past 9 months.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5053 on: 09 July, 2014, 09:59:29 am »
I have a pair of these

http://www.karrimor.com/karrimor-aspen-convertible-trousers-mens-441028?colcode=44102804

which I have been unable to wear for approx. 3 years,maybe more, due to too much jogler-in-the-middle

until this morning.
I tried them on j.i.c. & am pleasantly surprised that they are actually comfortable around the waist :thumbsup:

I haven't been dieting per se but have lately reduced the amount of bread,biscuits & crisps eaten.
The chocolate consumption has marginally increased & the cake scoffing remains as it should be given Marj's talent & habits in the baking department.

So I reckon the result is due to the lot more exercise I've "treated" myself to over the last 3 months which is largely tandem, & more recently commuting onna bike, related: & a little more walking.

At the risk of being immodest I'm feelimg a little  :smug:

eta the scales tell me that I've lost only 1.5kg

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #5054 on: 11 July, 2014, 12:53:56 pm »
A few weeks ago my size L cycling shirts were a snug fit.  They held my belly in place and I could look in the mirror and smile.  Now a little weight has gone on its summer holiday. I noticed that the cycling shirt is now a tidy loose fit.  It lightly outlines the real shape of my tummy and makes me look a lot worse than I used to. I don't want the truth I want lies from my clothes. If I really want to look fat all I need to do is tighten my belt from the comfortable 34" hole to the 32" which is not comfortable.  My waist spills over the side of my trousers showing my true obesity.

Now that I have made myself feel fat again I should continue to control my eating and gently improve things.

Chris S

« Reply #5055 on: 11 July, 2014, 01:59:23 pm »
I'm back on the Keto wagon again - have been for about a month. Losing a steady Kg a week, without much in the way of exercise, but I'm starting to get some riding in again now.

BP is coming down too.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5056 on: 11 July, 2014, 03:09:46 pm »
So are you feeling ok again now Chris? Are you able to ride ok and stuff?

I lost a bit more weight, but it was too far I think. I'm going to put a bit back on, I got too thin (NEVER thought I'd say that lol, although it was illness assisted) I don't think I'm really meant to be less than a size 8, even that is smaller than my body wants to be- so I'm going to try and stay there. Still vegan happy (you would LOVE this diet Chris ;) )

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5057 on: 11 July, 2014, 03:42:43 pm »
I'm down 11kg / 24lbs since Christmas.  My plan was always around a pound a week so, despite some up/down fluctuations it's stayed pretty much on track.

More importantly I suppose, my BP has dropped from an average of about 128/80 to a more respectable 115/73.

120/80 is the high end of normal so it wasn't serious before but I'm not complaining about it being below the top limit.

I'll be happy with another 14 pounds as long as I can keep it there and not treat it as "mission accomplished" and start pigging-out again.  I know it will be a lifetime of self-control.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Chris S

« Reply #5058 on: 11 July, 2014, 04:53:18 pm »
More importantly I suppose, my BP has dropped from an average of about 128/80 to a more respectable 115/73.

120/80 is the high end of normal so it wasn't serious before but I'm not complaining about it being below the top limit.

Having a hospital treadmill test stopped early by a doctor when my BP reached 260/90 puts "normal" into perspective I guess. FWIW, my resting BP is generally 130/80 area; "Prehypertensive" is their description.

So are you feeling ok again now Chris? Are you able to ride ok and stuff?

I'm OK, thanks for asking Lady C, just how OK we'll find out on Sunday when we attempt a 200; first randonnee since Yr Elenydd  :o.

« Reply #5059 on: 11 July, 2014, 05:09:32 pm »
Hope it all goes ok and drama free :) Can't even remember the last one I managed to do!!

« Reply #5060 on: 12 July, 2014, 07:29:45 am »
Checking in again. Another good week, another 2lbs lost. Down to 10st 3lbs, only 3lbs from target. Amazed that I lost 7lbs in 3 weeks with just calorie counting and cycling.

« Reply #5061 on: 16 July, 2014, 07:02:29 am »
7lbs down now in one month with sensible eating and upping the cycling.
Still a long way to go but my aim of 21lb gone by September looks reachable.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #5062 on: 16 July, 2014, 09:27:20 am »
I'm on a plateau of 90.x kg since the start of May. It's a big improvement on the 108 kg I was this time last year.   :thumbsup:

But the last time I was this weight (about ten years ago) I thought I was TOO FAT.  :-\
Jennifer - Walker of hills

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5063 on: 17 July, 2014, 02:38:18 pm »
I have not been weighed recently.
My measurements are static so my weight is probably static too.
I will keep on eating 'sensibly' and not very much.
I console myself with being thinner than most crips I see on the the Meeja, many on yacf and most of Blobby Britain.
A BMI of 23 might be as good as I can get.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5064 on: 17 July, 2014, 02:44:41 pm »
A week of ignoring dieting has resulted in going a little the wrong way. Need to get out walking more as cycling is off the menu atm.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5065 on: 17 July, 2014, 05:00:37 pm »
One armed turbo training?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5066 on: 17 July, 2014, 05:02:48 pm »
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5067 on: 17 July, 2014, 05:06:24 pm »
The nice thing about dieting when unable to exercise is the lack of 'bonk' type symptoms.
The nasty side is having to eat MUCH LESS of everything and living with very little CAEK & chocolate.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5068 on: 17 July, 2014, 05:07:34 pm »
Especially when you have a tendency to comfort eat and to eat when bored :-[
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5069 on: 17 July, 2014, 05:16:25 pm »
Don't beat yourself up but make it a little awkward to eat 'naughty' foods.
Keep them in closed packages or containers, out of sight and out of reach.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5070 on: 17 July, 2014, 06:29:02 pm »
One armed turbo training?

Face pyjama!

That's almost a Meaning of Liff entry - I'm always noticing these, but had no idea there was a term for it, let alone a website.  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5071 on: 17 July, 2014, 08:43:05 pm »
Weight has been a struggle over last couple of months - not going anywhere really. I looked at my mileage - combining running and riding -  and from May there is a clear fall in weekly training, which is sufficient to account for mass stability. Really driven by falling staff numbers at work and traveling all over the country for meetings. Having a few events and a plan to target will hopefully get me moving a bit more again, plus a does of determination (aka going out for a quick run/spin even if it is 10pm when I get time to do it)

Looking forward to losing the next 10kgs!

« Reply #5072 on: 22 July, 2014, 06:21:48 am »
Another check in and 2.5lb down this week so 9.5 in total.  I was pretty good on the food front and laid off sugar, bread and pasta. I also had my day off diet  where I eat whatever I feel like. So my target of 21lbs is looking more achievable
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

« Reply #5073 on: 23 July, 2014, 09:01:57 am »
A little bit off this week and working hard to balance work, food, exercise and life... but feeling positive about the net few weeks. A holiday coming up helps.

Chris S

« Reply #5074 on: 23 July, 2014, 09:37:57 am »
Steady fall in weight continues. I'm in week 7 of strict Keto and down about 5Kg. Back on the bike, but riding slow - loss of fitness and doc's orders not to push hard. Feeling good actually - lots of steady energy, sleeping well, BP normal more often than not  :thumbsup:.