Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300523 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5075 on: 23 July, 2014, 11:00:52 am »
Well done, Chris. I wish I had something so positive to report. The best I can say is that my weight isn't rising any further. Steady at a bit over 71kg at the moment. Really need to shed some weight before the marathon(s) in September. I intend to have a dry August to see if that makes a difference.

Something else that might make a difference is how I'm recording my exercise stats. I've been using Tapiriik to automagically sync my Garmin with Myfitnesspal via Runkeeper, but Tapiriik seems to have stopped working, so I've reverted to syncing via Endomondo, uploading rides manually.

Interestingly, a ride uploaded to mfp via Endomondo comes out at not much more than half the calories than the same ride uploaded to mfp via Runkeeper. Now, I knew the Runkeeper figures were on the high side, so I've been taking that into account when assessing my calorie allowances on mfp, but it will be harder to lie to myself using the Endomondo figures! I'm guessing the truth is somewhere between the two figures, but using the Endomondo figures as a guide is more likely to lead to weight loss...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #5076 on: 23 July, 2014, 12:55:27 pm »
The wheels have really fallen off since Easter.  :(
From my triumphant dip into normal BMI somewhere upthread , I am now back to my new year high point.

A distinct lack of non-commute cycling is not helping.

Bah. Onwards and upwards! Or downwards.

(I am without a kitchen for the next 2 weeks or so. That could could be good (salad) or bad (chips, take away curry, pizza). Any guesses as to likely outcome?  ;))

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5077 on: 23 July, 2014, 04:41:20 pm »
Salad might be too fiddly if you don't have a kitchen, unless you're buying ready-made.
Indulge in fresh soft fruits; they're cheap right now, not to high in Calories and rather delicious...

« Reply #5078 on: 24 July, 2014, 06:49:12 am »
Bah!

So 18 weeks away from home Mon-Friday with Hotel breakfasts and restaurant meals has put me back up where I started the year. The fact it hasn't gone higher is only due to discipline regards a light lunch or even no lunch.

I do look forward to seeing home this weeks Ramadan imposed restrictions of no breakfast*, only water till the evening and then a proper meal has.

* It's hard enough being up at 06:30 for the lift to the office without having to be up at 05:00 just to eat before sun rise.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5079 on: 24 July, 2014, 09:53:03 am »
I think those who observe Ramadan have to eat earlier than Audax o'clock!
ISTR it was nearer 2am earlier in the month.
No recent weights.
Hips down to 100cm, which is what they were when I was a Lean Teen.

« Reply #5080 on: 24 July, 2014, 01:22:45 pm »
However I am currently on the tropic of cancer in Oman and sunset is about 7:30 pm so Sunrise would be somewhere around 4:30am, not that I am awake then.

Also the restaurants don't start serving till sun down.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5081 on: 24 July, 2014, 02:03:15 pm »
Aah that's a bit different!
Ramadan in Britain will be even more difficult next year.

« Reply #5082 on: 24 July, 2014, 08:28:30 pm »
Well done, Chris. I wish I had something so positive to report. The best I can say is that my weight isn't rising any further. Steady at a bit over 71kg at the moment. Really need to shed some weight before the marathon(s) in September. I intend to have a dry August to see if that makes a difference.

Something else that might make a difference is how I'm recording my exercise stats. I've been using Tapiriik to automagically sync my Garmin with Myfitnesspal via Runkeeper, but Tapiriik seems to have stopped working, so I've reverted to syncing via Endomondo, uploading rides manually.

Interestingly, a ride uploaded to mfp via Endomondo comes out at not much more than half the calories than the same ride uploaded to mfp via Runkeeper. Now, I knew the Runkeeper figures were on the high side, so I've been taking that into account when assessing my calorie allowances on mfp, but it will be harder to lie to myself using the Endomondo figures! I'm guessing the truth is somewhere between the two figures, but using the Endomondo figures as a guide is more likely to lead to weight loss...
If you use Strava, you can direct the myfitnesspal app to automatically link with Strava so that activites get included without you doing anything.

Still 10st 3lbs here. I'm basically at my target so I am not in particular watching my diet.

citoyen

« Reply #5083 on: 24 July, 2014, 08:40:20 pm »
Ooh! That's new - MFP linking with Strava, I mean. Thanks for the tip.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #5084 on: 25 July, 2014, 12:24:49 pm »
It seems that the graphs have not been updated for more than a month.  Perhaps someone who is on good terms with Simon could give him a polite nudge so if he is well and not busy he can solve the problem. Thank you.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5085 on: 25 July, 2014, 12:28:24 pm »
I think you might find that Simon is out on his bicycle right now;
yacf member goes cycling SHOCK! HORROR!

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #5086 on: 25 July, 2014, 12:50:03 pm »
Good

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #5087 on: 26 July, 2014, 03:31:03 pm »
Salad might be too fiddly if you don't have a kitchen, unless you're buying ready-made.
Indulge in fresh soft fruits; they're cheap right now, not to high in Calories and rather delicious...

Good call. (Supporting my local independent greengrocer...) peaches and plums are in season and cheap.
And a shower head with colander makes a very good salad washer!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5088 on: 26 July, 2014, 03:34:13 pm »

Good call. (Supporting my local independent greengrocer...) peaches and plums are in season and cheap.
And a shower head with colander makes a very good salad washer!

Enjoy but beware laxative effects of excess!

« Reply #5089 on: 26 July, 2014, 10:12:30 pm »
That's me done. Hit 10st 1lb this morning. 12.8% body fat, down from 14% six weeks ago. Ready for hillclimb season now.

simonp

« Reply #5090 on: 27 July, 2014, 08:49:11 pm »
I think you might find that Simon is out on his bicycle right now;
yacf member goes cycling SHOCK! HORROR!

Graphs updated.

citoyen

« Reply #5091 on: 28 July, 2014, 12:09:56 pm »
If you use Strava, you can direct the myfitnesspal app to automatically link with Strava so that activites get included without you doing anything.

Even better, I've just discovered that MyFitnessPal now syncs directly with Garmin Connect. :thumbsup:

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #5092 on: 30 July, 2014, 10:28:43 am »
Well I've been off the wagon for over a month, not bothering to diet at all, or take particular care over what I eat. A fair bit of cycling (including some cuycle camping), but no audaxing since May's DNF 300. My weight has risen, but only by around 700g, small enough to be a normal fluctuation.

So that's not a huge concern, but distribution of weight is a little bit more worrying. Haven't measured my waist yet but anecdotally, Mrs crowriver has noticed my midriff seems to have expanded. Just measured my waist, it has grown by a whopping 7cm!  :(

So, no audaxing or training, plus no diet, with just pootling and a bit of allotment digging = waist expansion.

Might be time to get back onto the fasting...
Embrace your inner Fred.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5093 on: 30 July, 2014, 12:41:28 pm »
Still haven't been weighed but waist and hips seem smaller than earlier this year.
Which will have to do.

simonp

« Reply #5094 on: 01 August, 2014, 11:58:17 am »
75.5kg this week - basically static for a year now.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5095 on: 01 August, 2014, 01:10:34 pm »
Possibly a smidgin lighter than last time but had HYOOGE cankles and a full tum at time of weigh-in.
Trousers are now FAR too big.

« Reply #5096 on: 07 August, 2014, 09:26:33 am »
Weight going back in the right dirrection, or so I thought last night as I stood on the scale in my nightwear.

I then stood on the scales whilst holding yesterdays outfit and the weight went back up to last weeks.  :-[

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #5097 on: 07 August, 2014, 11:11:03 am »
When I returned to England in mid-June I discovered I had increased by a whopping 5kg. Scary.

I am not dieting as I have sort-of come to terms with being lardy (but generally fit). However I decided to avoid the Griesson de Beukelaer chocolate factory, whose biscuits had been regularly finding their way alongside my regular cuppas. The problem is, the stuff is incredibly cheap in the factory shop...

Anyway, I have the impression I am probably a bit lighter and so went downstairs here to where the set of weighing scales has been for the last four months. Not there. So I will remain in the dark until I return to the UK next month and step on our scales again.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Chris S

« Reply #5098 on: 11 August, 2014, 03:56:51 pm »
... whereas I returned from Semaine fédérale 2Kg lighter - despite daily boozing, copious consumption of salty snacks (it was very warm and humid), and of course, morning Pains au Choc. The daily riding clearly ensured a calorie deficit, despite the binge eating - and this year's edition was somewhat hillier than previous, which probably helped.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5099 on: 12 August, 2014, 10:23:30 am »
There finally seems to be some significant loss.
I kept thinking I was getting thinner.
Plug on...