Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300836 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5100 on: 12 August, 2014, 11:12:11 am »
Now that my weight has stabilized after our diago I'm three kg lighter.  It was stable on what I was eating before so maybe now it'll stay where it is. Fat-burning exercise is bloody wunnerful.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5101 on: 13 August, 2014, 06:02:01 pm »
Seem to have dropped a kilo over the past fortnight.
Used a tape measure for the first time in aeons last night.
40-32-44
The XL yacf T-shirt that's on its way may not be big enough but I really aren't a giant!

More work needed!

I'm looking back on 2012. (David always says I'm living in the past.)

My hips and waist are down 4 inches and I'm 12kg less than January 2012.

Slow progress is NOT no progress!

simonp

« Reply #5102 on: 13 August, 2014, 06:05:14 pm »
I'm 3kg UP on January 2012 (and 4kg down vs my heaviest observed weight this year, so can't complain).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5103 on: 13 August, 2014, 07:34:53 pm »
I felt a need to enter the weight reports for 2012, which I have now done.
I regret not doing this sooner as my 2012 progress was rather better than that of 2013 or 2014.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #5104 on: 14 August, 2014, 12:54:38 am »
119.3 is down a few kg over the last few weeks. Hospitalisation  and the following immobility, stops me shopping for Pringles and Pizzas, seem to be having a positive effect on weight loss at least.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5105 on: 14 August, 2014, 10:37:34 am »
Every little helps PD! It's a L-O-N-G journey!

simonp

« Reply #5106 on: 14 August, 2014, 11:47:48 am »
I regret not doing this sooner as my 2012 progress was rather better than that of 2013 or 2014.

I updated the graphs and you can see the steady progress you've made quite clearly - nice one!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5107 on: 14 August, 2014, 11:58:42 am »

I updated the graphs and you can see the steady progress you've made quite clearly - nice one!

Thanks!

It's been a great morale boost.

I hope this can encourage others to look at the big picture and keep good eating habits even if there is no short-term progress.
My weight had shown no loss for the first seven months of this year...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5108 on: 20 August, 2014, 01:35:50 pm »

Thanks!

It's been a great morale boost.

I hope this can encourage others to look at the big picture and keep good eating habits even if there is no short-term progress.
My weight had shown no loss for the first seven months of this year...

... but I seem to be another kg down this week.

« Reply #5109 on: 01 September, 2014, 03:46:20 pm »
Taken a few weeks off, over did the carbs and everything else. I'll probably trawl youtube for the last few years output of Horizon documentaries, and apply what I can remember.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5110 on: 03 September, 2014, 12:44:35 pm »
And here is the not news BONG!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29031985

You will lose weight more successfully if you stick to your eating plan, whatever it may be.

FWIW I am not on any specific diet though 'less junk, less everything' might sum it up.

I seem, at present, to weigh less than others who record their weight.

simonp

« Reply #5111 on: 03 September, 2014, 01:32:57 pm »
And here is the not news BONG!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29031985

You will lose weight more successfully if you stick to your eating plan, whatever it may be.

FWIW I am not on any specific diet though 'less junk, less everything' might sum it up.

I seem, at present, to weigh less than others who record their weight.

Two interesting stunts people did eating a restricted diet:

20potatoesaday.com

edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5112 on: 03 September, 2014, 02:02:45 pm »
I will stick to 'less everything, less junk'.
I can eat anything I like, whenever I like.
Or not.
Not is very much part of this, usually in private.
Nobody has yet convinced me that it's harmful to skip a meal if I'm not hungry and eat an otherwise well-balanced mix.
For myself I don't fancy 20 potatoes per day, or more than a single snack cake.
I never eat anything I don't fancy - what's the point? Bonk avoidance is not an issue!

« Reply #5113 on: 03 September, 2014, 06:47:46 pm »
I'm feeling almost smug this week despite the rise.
500g increase following two weeks in Germany with lovely sausage, bread, cakes and beer and very nearly three weeks of no 'proper exercise'. That's not too shabby.

Actually, despite not really worrying much about what we eat on holiday I rarely seem to put weight (or much weight) on then. I wonder what makes the difference. I'm sure if I had a bratwurst roll for breakfast every morning at home I'd start putting the pounds on!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5114 on: 03 September, 2014, 06:54:54 pm »
You probably aren't on holiday for more than a fortnight; A week or two of indulgence might gain you a pound of fat, which you'd hardly notice.
52 weeks of indulgence might gain you 52 pounds of fat...

Habits are what matter in long-term weight management.

« Reply #5115 on: 03 September, 2014, 09:15:21 pm »
Inspired I looked back at my diary from last year and I am 20 lb lighter than I was. So slow progress but that's ok. I have always been a plodder.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5116 on: 03 September, 2014, 09:32:33 pm »
Inspired I looked back at my diary from last year and I am 20 lb lighter than I was. So slow progress but that's ok. I have always been a plodder.

That's brilliant!
Slow weight loss may be easiest to maintain.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #5117 on: 03 September, 2014, 10:11:47 pm »
Not been thinking about it much after the foot operation, certainly can't do much in a physical stylee just now, but have lost 1.1kg since the last time I weighed in and that is a total of  10kg since the end of January. Slow is better than No!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5118 on: 03 September, 2014, 10:25:59 pm »
That's impressive, PD!
Just keeping the weight off is progress and helps with all the health matters.
Keep going; it is tough, but possible.

simonp

« Reply #5119 on: 04 September, 2014, 12:10:04 pm »
No substantive weight loss in the last few weeks for me.

However, I've gone from 22% body fat to 19% body fat (as guessed by random number generator/scales).

These ones measure at hands as well as feet. They consistently read higher than the old ones which didn't have any hand contacts.

The old ones measured around the same as calipers back in 2009 (but that's just a single data point - 18%) so I'm not sure if the new ones are more accurate or less.

What is clear is that I've lost fat. In particular the skin-fold thickness on my stomach and lower abdomen has reduced markedly. Where it always takes longer to vanish is over my hips. I ought to get some calipers to compare with.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5120 on: 04 September, 2014, 03:09:29 pm »
Anyone suggest some decent scales? My current set seems to have died from water ingress. :(

Preferably digital, more worried about consistent readings than extra features, though the extras may be nice.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5121 on: 04 September, 2014, 09:54:43 pm »
Sorry, I'm still using the mechanical spring balance I bought in 1982 - it's probably older than you.
Various digital toys have ended up elsewhere - I'm not sure if my parents killed, lost or still use them.

Jakob

« Reply #5122 on: 09 September, 2014, 07:15:00 pm »
Down 2.5kgs in 10 days of 'Paleo' diet. First kg went quickly and was most likely water (I'm also a lot less bloated now), but the weight seems to keep creeping downwards.
Biggest issue is still the amount of time spent cooking, although I am managing it better this time around.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5123 on: 10 September, 2014, 12:25:59 pm »
Weighed myself this morning for the first time in a while. Sigh.

Oh well, I suppose at least it isn't going up any further. But riding/running up hills is noticeably harder than it was this time last year, and clothing is a little snugger round the waist and thighs.

The good news is that life/work are back on a more even keel now and I'm getting back into the swing of fitting a decent ride into my commute, so I'm hoping I'll soon start to see a downward trend again. It helps that my new colleagues are all cyclists and myfitnesspal obsessives, and they often go out for lunchtime rides (at PDQ pace), so getting involved with that should help.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5124 on: 11 September, 2014, 04:56:16 pm »
The good news is that life/work are back on a more even keel now
Ditto.

I'm down 5kg in the last 4 weeks.
I don't much like my new gym but as predicted, in conjunction with eschewing the vast majority of carbohydrates, it's doing the job.
Chances of me achieving Birthday Squats (the last of my fitness goals for 2014, the others all getting a big fat FAIL) are still much slimmer than I am, sadly.