Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300722 times)

simonp

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5150 on: 22 October, 2014, 01:24:50 pm »
I have not lost weight again.

Body fat around 15% by calipers.

Compared to earlier this year: I'm climbing hills faster, lifting heavier weights, and swimming more strongly.

Currently I seem to be "recomposing" i.e. losing fat and gaining muscle about the same rate.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5151 on: 22 October, 2014, 01:29:16 pm »
Sounds fine, simonp!
I have lost since my last weigh-in but am still a bit more than my lightest, a couple of months ago.
The overall trend is down, albeit very slowly.
Which is fine.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5152 on: 29 October, 2014, 02:53:18 pm »
I was 61kg when weighed last night.
I am lighter now.
Eating less food and junk do reduce body fat.
Eventually.

simonp

« Reply #5153 on: 29 October, 2014, 03:06:32 pm »
No progress since last week on any aspect due to a lurgy which I had from Friday to Tuesday.

Weight is static but I'm still on about 15% body fat, say the calipers. Cycling to work and back today will help with that.

« Reply #5154 on: 29 October, 2014, 04:43:29 pm »
Banned from the gym and any high intensity work, constant battles with children and we're back to eating crap and gaining weight. Joy.
Losing weight would be easy if you didn't have to work it into Real Life.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5155 on: 29 October, 2014, 04:46:58 pm »
I am sad enough to have little Real Life: no work, no kids, little access to junk food and a partner who likes healthy eating.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5156 on: 01 November, 2014, 01:37:44 pm »
Weighed myself for the first time in a while this morning. 73kg. Oh boy. Back in February, I was about 67kg.

The gain is having a noticeable effect on my running - struggled to get around parkrun in 23.30 this morning, compared to regularly going well under 21 minutes this time last year. Really must do something about this. Best start would be cutting out the booze.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #5157 on: 05 November, 2014, 01:09:22 pm »
I’ve been ill for all but 2 days of the last 12 days now - coming up for 2 weeks. I’m hoping last night was the worst of it, I called in sick today. I’ve managed to cycle commute once, and go to the gym once in that time. This one started on Thursday last week. I weighted 78.0kg on Wednesday last week, a record. 10kg over my weight in mid 2010.

Just weighed in at 75.0kg. That’s quite some fluctuation.

Just tried to update the graphs - broken. Probably caused by upgrading to Yosemite.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5158 on: 05 November, 2014, 01:19:07 pm »
I’ve been ill for all but 2 days of the last 12 days now - coming up for 2 weeks. I’m hoping last night was the worst of it, I called in sick today. I’ve managed to cycle commute once, and go to the gym once in that time. This one started on Thursday last week. I weighted 78.0kg on Wednesday last week, a record. 10kg over my weight in mid 2010.

Just weighed in at 75.0kg. That’s quite some fluctuation.

Just tried to update the graphs - broken. Probably caused by upgrading to Yosemite.

Get Well Soon, Simon!
The Yosemite upgrade has certainly caused me computer frustration!

Sick lungs secrete anti-diuretic hormone, which causes water retention. Your weight can be a rather poor indicator of body fat...(as if I hadn't typed this just a FEW times before...)

« Reply #5159 on: 05 November, 2014, 01:28:35 pm »
Banned from the gym and any high intensity work, constant battles with children and we're back to eating crap and gaining weight. Joy.
Losing weight would be easy if you didn't have to work it into Real Life.
Yep real-life sucks.  I thought I couldn't work losing weight into real life, but somehow It seems possible.  I've not read all this thread, life's too short, but here's been my story.
I travel mostly around Europe by plane and Hotel.  I work in the food industry (Ingredients/poultry processing) and am constantly surrounded by the stuff, usually fried.  I get to gorge myself in airport lounges, on the plane, at the hotel, as much on-tap food and drink as I want.  Am away at least 3 nights a week.  In Russia where we go getting a half decent pizza is as good as it gets.  We cook from scratch at home and food is a big part of the family ritual.  I am the only one overweight, 3 are normal healthy, one is anorexic. I have access to a lot of drink.
On a good week I might get one 40 mile Sunday bike ride.

Not easy.

but I've lost quite a bit of weight over the last 4 to 5 weeks without really trying.  I don't know how much but am nearly 3 belt holes tighter now, my jeans hang off me and my shirts are looking baggy.  People unsolicited ask if I've lost weight.

All I've done is give up:  All free sugar, cakes, pies pastries, BIG carbs such as Bread, Rice, Pasta, Potatoes Cereal.  No more no less. So living off Salad, veggies, Meats, Pulses, Eggs, Dairy.
Brekkie is 2 fried eggs. Nom!

It's not been hard, dropping the sugar has made me feel much more alert, and less hungry, dropping bread and cereals has made me less bloaty and farty.  In fact in general I just feel better.  I'm not religious about it, there are times (like Russia) where you have to moderately break the rules, but as long as you mostly cut out those big carby bits your weight will start to drop ... and I'm surprised at how much.
Also on the bike, I seem not to need to eat as much and I go quite well now!

This may not work for everybody but I've been really surprised with my real-life that I've been able to adapt to it quite well.

« Reply #5160 on: 05 November, 2014, 02:13:54 pm »
All I've done is give up:  All free sugar, cakes, pies pastries, BIG carbs such as Bread, Rice, Pasta, Potatoes Cereal.  No more no less. So living off Salad, veggies, Meats, Pulses, Eggs, Dairy.
O, you mean like this: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=67736.0

;)

It's fine till you're really depressed and take to sugar in lieu of the antidepressants that you're quickly taken off because of the whole fainting-at-the-slightest-exertion, thing.
I'd drink, but that'd get me sacked, wheras sugar doesn't. Well, hasn't yet, anyway.

I've put on almost 3kg of sugar-attracted water & fat this week.
Werhey!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5161 on: 05 November, 2014, 02:20:04 pm »
Sounds good, ff.
I can't say I suffer much on my '3S' diet - Steak, Salad and Strawberries.
(Well, that's the summer edition and I do eat other things.)
But it's not cheap.

« Reply #5162 on: 05 November, 2014, 04:49:59 pm »
O, you mean like this: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=67736.0

;)

It's fine till you're really depressed and take to sugar in lieu of the antidepressants that you're quickly taken off because of the whole fainting-at-the-slightest-exertion, thing.
I'd drink, but that'd get me sacked, wheras sugar doesn't. Well, hasn't yet, anyway.

I've put on almost 3kg of sugar-attracted water & fat this week.
Werhey!

Yer ... a bit like that anyhow.  It's not Ketogenic though as I'm not that sacred about it.

But that maybe what makes it work for me and my circumstances I simply can't avoid carbs during a travelling day.  If you look around at what's on offer as quick food it's nearly all orange food.  But keeping a lid on it is certainly having positive benefits, physically and mentally.
Depression eating is hard to combat, I can understand that.  My recent experimentation seems to suggest that not having sugary stuff makes me feel less bad than having sugar highs and lows which make me feel anxious/palpitations.

Thanks to an abscess in my mouth I'm on Antiobiotics with a DO NOT DRINK EVER warning .... it's bloody hard spending 3 days on your own in a faceless hotel without a beer or a glass of wine to look forward to!

« Reply #5163 on: 05 November, 2014, 04:50:47 pm »
Sounds good, ff.
But it's not cheap.
3s ... because you're worth it ....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5164 on: 05 November, 2014, 06:48:24 pm »
Sounds good, ff.
But it's not cheap.
3s ... because you're worth it ....

You're worth it too!
Steak, salad and strawberries are pretty good as Balm for the Soul too and some equivalent should be available in many soulfree hotels.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5165 on: 09 November, 2014, 02:06:39 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29755469

Who would have thunk it?
Tackle the whole food and lifestyle package and you can succeed tackling childhood obesity.
Since this approach needs to be taken by all the family, it would be fine for grown-ups too.

« Reply #5166 on: 10 November, 2014, 01:01:58 pm »
The other element of the Paleo diet.

One boy who eats more than his fair share and becomes too lazy to go hunting with the other boys will be beaten up until he changes his ways.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5167 on: 10 November, 2014, 01:12:05 pm »
Meanwhile, the Brits are plugging for more weight loss surgery.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29953082

I'm sure that some obese people get trapped into a repeat ( overeating -> weight gain --> depression -> inactivity -> ) vicious cycle but I'm not convinced its solution is bariatric surgery for the massive masses.

This speaks to me of admission of defeat on the public health side.

« Reply #5168 on: 11 November, 2014, 11:05:09 pm »
A few weekends ago,I spent some time in the company of a medic . I remarked that he was fortunate that he was not carrying a lot of weight (we were discussing long distance cycling) and he related how he decided to lose weight when he was confronted by the damage that people were doing to their knees , hips and spine by carrying too much lard around.
He also told the best medical story that I have heard in a long while. One of his patients engaged m'learned friends to write a letter of complaint to the hospital. The patient had been insulted by a doctor who had declared the patient to be obese.
After consulting the height/weight chart the hospital legal man replied.
"We regret the use of the term "obese" as it is technically incorrect. It would appear that your client is ,in fact, "morbidly obese" and we shall remind our staff to use the correct descriptive term in any future contact with the patient."

« Reply #5169 on: 14 November, 2014, 07:37:34 am »

I'm sure that some obese people get trapped into a repeat ( overeating -> weight gain --> depression -> inactivity -> ) vicious cycle but I'm not convinced its solution is bariatric surgery for the massive masses.

I blame the parents. All those ‘modern gullibles’ who listened to the ‘Feed on Demand’ crap that was spouted in the 1990s saying “Feeding on demand results in a higher IQ.”

In the first six months of life, baby learns that mum will always supply food when it moans. The cast was set.

Now we have an ‘over feeding’ epidemic.

« Reply #5170 on: 14 November, 2014, 07:42:53 am »

I blame the parents. All those ‘modern gullibles’ who listened to the ‘Feed on Demand’ crap that was spouted in the 1980s saying “Feeding on demand results in a higher IQ.”

In the first six months of life, baby learns that mum will always supply food when it moans. The cast was set.
Here starteth the ‘over feeding’ epidemic.
Rubbish.
If that were the case, I would have a family of fat children.
I don't.
I have one child who will always have to watch her weight, and that is because physically she is very similar to her mother and has a tendency to gain weight easily.
The rest are all skinny. They were all 'fed on demand'.

Cheap, shite food and lack of exercise are the main causes of obesity.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5171 on: 14 November, 2014, 08:09:25 am »
With a BMR of 1600 kCals and a daily cycling expenditure of 1000 kCals, 3000 kCals per day of the BEST nutrition food in the world will result in a weight gain of 1 lb per week.

With a BMR of 1600 kCals and a daily cycling expenditure of 1000 kCals, 2000 kCals per day of cheap, shite food will result in a weight loss of 1 lb per week.

And anyway, when on an Audax, how many of us gorge on ‘packet-mix’ sponge cake? If that’s not ‘cheap, shite food’, I don’t know what is.  ;D

« Reply #5172 on: 14 November, 2014, 09:00:04 am »
You are right, you don't know.

Your calculations are far, far too simplistic.

Exercise has effects on metabolism apart from the immediate burn of calories.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5173 on: 14 November, 2014, 10:16:15 am »
Babies that are breast fed on demand don't usually get too fat. Babies stuffed with starch from a young age will get fat.
Stuffing anyone who is inactive with cheap starch, especially if this is laced with fats and sugar (think toast, butter and jam) will make them fatter.
I am still losing fat, albeit slowly and I am almost totally inactive.

Calories in v calories out is simplistic. It still approximates to usefulness for many.

« Reply #5174 on: 14 November, 2014, 12:00:02 pm »
Triggers for my over eating. Boredom/depression. Once I find something to stop those 2 triggers, I'll be fine.