Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300408 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5250 on: 07 January, 2015, 07:58:38 am »
I have set myself (and reported this in the 'weight reports' thread) a short term, small weight loss target. I'm going to see if aiming for something achievable but requiring focus works any better than a nebulous 'by the end of the year' goal.

85.2 kg by 31.01.2015

This would bring me back to my lowest weight last year (and once I break that figure) to a weight lower than at any time since 2010.
Losing the first 2kg is easy.
Much of this loss is not fat.
Weight after a second month might be more indicative of genuine fat loss.
Good Luck anyway!
Totally agree Helly! And with this week's figures, I guess I've done all the easy stuff and the hard work starts NOW!
But it's a good start.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #5251 on: 07 January, 2015, 08:18:27 am »
I've managed to put on 1.5kg over Christmas. Not quite as bad as feared, given the amount of chocolate I've eaten, but the wrong side of 60kg. :-\

Exactly the same as me, although I am now the wrong side of 70kg.

Slightly annoying as I had made a concerted effort to lose weight before Christmas and from September to December had lost 6kg, so I now have to re-lose a quarter of that all over again.  Still, could have been worse!

I find my body is a little like a juggernaut, it can take a while to turn the corner and kick-start losing weight but once it's started I can keep it at a steady downward trend.

I keep telling myself how much easier the hills will be if I can lose the excess baggage!
Up the hills and round the bends

« Reply #5252 on: 07 January, 2015, 09:33:37 am »
Well, I have yet to turn the corner after my New Year binge. 200g heavier than last week, but not overly concerned as New Year was a special occasion and I'm close to my target anyway. My main aim this year is not to put on weight, rather than lose oodles.

« Reply #5253 on: 07 January, 2015, 12:32:52 pm »
0.2kg down this week. Not quite sure how I managed that as I put 3kgs on over new year with a combination of friends visiting and then a paper to write - a solid weekend's work, with no exercise and much comfort eating and the odd bit of finshing up what bottles were left open in the fridge.

Still nice to be directionally correct, and encouraging to maintain rather than give up straightaway.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5254 on: 07 January, 2015, 01:09:34 pm »
I have spent a weekend dining at a hotel with partner's father and extended family.
My weight is up 0.3kg on last week or back to the first recorded weight on my new digital scales, which is fine, methinks.

Things could be much worse.

simonp

« Reply #5255 on: 07 January, 2015, 01:15:32 pm »
Didn't weigh in yet. Probably around 77kg again. Back has pretty much recovered now so I'll be riding a group DIY 200k this weekend which will burn off some of the flab. I'm going to stay out of the gym for a few more days yet.

Hopefully when I try to generate the graphs this evening it will 'just work'.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #5256 on: 07 January, 2015, 01:25:52 pm »
I seem to be 3kg heavier than when I last recorded my weight.  I have had a very naughty Yuletide. Too much food and alcohol.  I will now reapply discipline and watch the weight fall away.  I find it difficult at this time of year.  I tend to lie in on the weekends when it is dark and horrible outside. My weight is basically controlled by my 160 miles of commuting each week. Any activity on the weekend beyond walking to the paper shop will reduce my weight over the week.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5257 on: 07 January, 2015, 02:09:57 pm »
I'm back and in much need of some fitness, including shedding the result of not doing much last year.

Let the slimming begin.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5258 on: 07 January, 2015, 09:18:58 pm »
Well, I have yet to turn the corner after my New Year binge. 200g heavier than last week,

200g ? I wouldn't worry, as Peter Kay once said "I can shit a pound".
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #5259 on: 07 January, 2015, 09:36:31 pm »
Tiny movement, a few hundred grams, but in the right direction. This close after Christmas, I'll take it.

« Reply #5260 on: 07 January, 2015, 09:47:38 pm »
My extremely optimistic aim is to shed on average 0.5kg/week.   I got down to 105 from 112 last year very easily then managed to lose momentum and put 5 back on.   

Must do better this year. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5261 on: 07 January, 2015, 11:50:55 pm »
Well, I have yet to turn the corner after my New Year binge. 200g heavier than last week,

I weighed myself before and after a BIG pee as a student and lost 850g...

« Reply #5262 on: 08 January, 2015, 12:01:13 am »

I weighed myself before and after a BIG pee as a student and lost 850g...

Now that is impressive! 1 1/2 pints.

« Reply #5263 on: 08 January, 2015, 08:39:09 pm »
I joined Slimming World today, partly for myself but mainly to support my partner who is morbidly obese and now has health issues. Totally different motives than mine.IE would like to be lighter so I can cycle up hills easier. :-[

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5264 on: 08 January, 2015, 11:26:21 pm »
My reasons for wanting to be lighter:
1) Less weight for others to push in my wheelchair
2) Less weight for others to lift should I fall
3) Hope of preventing health issues
4) Desire to wear smaller clothes

simonp

« Reply #5265 on: 08 January, 2015, 11:43:24 pm »
Weighed in today at 77.2kg.

Right, now I will try to get the first datapoint for 2015 plotted…

simonp

« Reply #5266 on: 09 January, 2015, 12:14:20 am »
Sorted.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5267 on: 09 January, 2015, 08:36:33 am »
My extremely optimistic aim is to shed on average 0.5kg/week.   

That's a perfectly reasonable, and sensible, weight loss goal.

3500 kcals a week deficit, or 500kcals a day, or an hour's hard cycling a day.  Just don't over-reward yourself for cycling.

My motivation for weight loss is twofold:

1) Vanity.  I want to look better in nice clothes (of course Lycra is especially unforgiving)

I fully expect my application to be a Rapha model would meet with "Come back when you're not quite so fat"

2) Cycling. Nothing I've yet found makes hills easier than a lack of bodyweight.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #5268 on: 09 January, 2015, 08:44:32 am »
2) Cycling. Nothing I've yet found makes hills easier than a lack of bodyweight.

This, in spades, for me too (although I hear EPO's pretty handy too).

Oh, and the men in my family have a habit of not living as long as they're supposed to, so if I can buck that trend that'd be handy too.

« Reply #5269 on: 09 January, 2015, 08:57:21 am »
My motivations:

1) Get up hills easier
2) body shape I'm happy with
3) Practice a lifestyle where I can eat heathily and appropriately for my body type
4) Stay fit and at a consistent weight to avoid ending up like my Mum who was overweight for most of her life and now in retirement can barely walk, is depressed, has alcohol issues
Up the hills and round the bends

« Reply #5270 on: 09 January, 2015, 03:53:14 pm »
Why?

Long term health
Faster up hills
I used to be strong and quick

« Reply #5271 on: 09 January, 2015, 04:00:57 pm »
I also want to get back into my 34 inch trousers and fit into size Large cycling clothes rather than XL.It would also be nice to have smaller boobs than my 16 year old daughter :facepalm:
But that's enough about motivation, what about commitment? Motivation without commitment=fail.

« Reply #5272 on: 09 January, 2015, 04:18:48 pm »
what about commitment? Motivation without commitment=fail.

Fear! As health is a poor motivator (look at ourselves and the wider population if you doubt this) I've entered some events and arranged rides with faster colleagues. Short term emotional repsonse trumps long term rationality every time - simple and fundamental truth of human decision making - so need to make the short term fear stronger than the pleasure to be gained from cake

« Reply #5273 on: 13 January, 2015, 09:04:14 am »
Had to weigh in a day early as I am  off on anther round of drive/meet/hotels etc.
Small loss , which has been acheived despite clearing up all the Christmas food stash .

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5274 on: 13 January, 2015, 01:24:54 pm »
My weight appears up this week for no good reason.
Formal weigh-in tomorrow.
Ho hum.