Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300522 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5425 on: 04 March, 2015, 02:07:41 pm »
It indicated 'Lo' when I weighed myself last night. I thought that was an error message as I was wobbly, but reading the User Manual suggests I should change the flattery. I am unimpressed if this is needed just two months after first use.

Our digital scales apparently go through batteries at a rate of knots too. Except they don't. Take the batteries out and put them back in again. You may well find that the scales will run for another 2 months. I can repeat this 5 or 6 times until I have to actually change the batteries.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5426 on: 04 March, 2015, 02:16:53 pm »
It indicated 'Lo' when I weighed myself last night. I thought that was an error message as I was wobbly, but reading the User Manual suggests I should change the flattery. I am unimpressed if this is needed just two months after first use.

Our digital scales apparently go through batteries at a rate of knots too. Except they don't. Take the batteries out and put them back in again. You may well find that the scales will run for another 2 months. I can repeat this 5 or 6 times until I have to actually change the batteries.

Ours have not shown Lo again so I'll ignore the message.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #5427 on: 04 March, 2015, 06:50:32 pm »
Mathematically I'm back to where I was a month ago. But that was progress and this is a blip, so I'm taking some solace in that.

« Reply #5428 on: 04 March, 2015, 09:54:16 pm »
Had the evening weigh in and I am 1lb down on last week. So happy that I am shifting again, just need to keep it up now.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5429 on: 04 March, 2015, 09:55:50 pm »
Still slowly going down. Not far of where I got to before I broke my arm last year which was the lightest I can remember being. Off on tour next week so it will be interesting to see what effect that has on things.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

simonp

« Reply #5430 on: 07 March, 2015, 12:17:15 pm »
75.5kg this morning. Possibly a bit dehydrated but still the lightest I've been in several months.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5431 on: 07 March, 2015, 12:59:42 pm »
I may not weigh myself for a while, due to demoralising variations and a forthcoming trip abroad.
I hope to stick to sensible eating between the Fat Weddings and funny flight meals.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #5432 on: 07 March, 2015, 10:39:04 pm »
I was running at around 60 or 61 kgs, at 171 cms, last year as I went through the 'setting a new record beginning with the number 3', which ended up as 333 points.

I promised Lyn I would ease off this season, and have ridden lots less, and I've walked more, filling in the 'hole' in my right gluteus (muscle that had wasted away while I rolled found in my wheelchair, and swung round on my crutches favouring the left leg..)... and over the winter I've sat around more, reaching 67 kgs, but not lookng overweight...

I'm riding more as the weather and daylight gets more advantageous, and it's dropping off... After today's fast hilly 200, and after 750 mils of protein drink, and a large glass of diet coke I weighed 65 kgs..

Should I go down to 60 kgs again???
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5433 on: 08 March, 2015, 12:10:02 am »
60kg is very light but not necessarily bad.

How do you feel at that weight?
Are you anticipating many AAA rides this year?

Go for the weight at which you are happiest!

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #5434 on: 08 March, 2015, 02:18:36 am »
At 60 kg I felt at my best.... I had the ability to climb hills out of the saddle at good speeds without tiring, and that includes Snowdonia type stuff.

My entry list includes the climby rides, so I guess I'll gradually reduce, but keep listening to my body

Cycling heatmap

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5435 on: 08 March, 2015, 01:36:02 pm »
That sort of weight and build were quite common around 60 years ago; pictures of men from around 1950 often showed slim, slightly wiry men.

Mr British Average weighed 65kg in medical textbooks of the '60s and 70kg in the textbooks around 1980.

« Reply #5436 on: 09 March, 2015, 12:47:07 pm »
Mr British Average weighed 65kg in medical textbooks of the '60s and 70kg in the textbooks around 1980.

That's interesting. I've often wondered about whether or not we risk overloading passenger lifts these days. When determining the maximum number of people a lift will hold the powers that be seem to use a weight of 75kg per person to determine the lift capacity. I don't think it's changed in a long time. When Mr Average weighed 65kg, using 75kg for loading purposes seemed reasonable. These days though, I wonder if it's a little low. On occasion, I've looked at the size of some of my prospective fellow lift passengers and have then opted to use the stairs instead. On the other hand, I look at the floor space of some of these lifts and come to the conclusion that you'll never physically fit everyone in to reach the passenger number capacity.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5437 on: 09 March, 2015, 12:57:52 pm »

That's interesting. I've often wondered about whether or not we risk overloading passenger lifts these days. When determining the maximum number of people a lift will hold the powers that be seem to use a weight of 75kg per person to determine the lift capacity. I don't think it's changed in a long time. When Mr Average weighed 65kg, using 75kg for loading purposes seemed reasonable. These days though, I wonder if it's a little low. On occasion, I've looked at the size of some of my prospective fellow lift passengers and have then opted to use the stairs instead. On the other hand, I look at the floor space of some of these lifts and come to the conclusion that you'll never physically fit everyone in to reach the passenger number capacity.

Suspect you can cram twenty 65kg men into less space than thirteen 100kg people...

« Reply #5438 on: 09 March, 2015, 02:14:59 pm »

Suspect you can cram twenty 65kg men into less space than thirteen 100kg people...

Assuming that the density of fat is lower than the rest of the body that would hold true, even if you metled them down (so to speak)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5439 on: 09 March, 2015, 02:28:25 pm »

Assuming that the density of fat is lower than the rest of the body that would hold true, even if you metled them down (so to speak)

Indeed but fatter people are proportionately wider at the middle than the base so can't cram as close.

You can get more letters like this IIIIII than letters like these DPDPD into a given space.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #5440 on: 09 March, 2015, 02:52:35 pm »
64.4 kgs this morning...

Going doooooowwwwwnnnnn....

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #5441 on: 09 March, 2015, 04:52:07 pm »
Help!!!

So I'm trying to get back into long distance stuff but I'm very out of practice. I have been riding regularly and often, and I do train before breakfast so it's not like I'm full of carbs every time I ride.

But I have done 200ks the last 2 weekends and kept getting emergency sugar needs! Will this go away again the more I do of them, I can't remember what endurance stuff feels like any more.

I do use myfitnesspal- this weekend I ate loads. Did a 200k on Sat, ate 3200 cals, then did an 80 mile sportive on Sun, ate 2,500 cals. Today I'm starving. I did 90 mins this morning before breakfast, I'd normally eat 1800 on days where I only do one session of 90 mins, but this has gone to pot today, I'll be at least 500 over that I think I'm so hungry.

I do want to get back to these long rides, but I don't want to get fat. Today I had porridge for breakfast with protein powder, banana and a few nuts, I've had a broad bean and light feta salad for lunch, plus an apple, grapefruit, half a beetroot flapjack thing, a small protein bar snack thing, and some fruit/nuts mix thing and am still really hungry. Help!!! How can I control my jaws that don't want to stop?

« Reply #5442 on: 09 March, 2015, 10:36:25 pm »
If I needed motivation (ok, I do) I just came across a "beach" photo from a few years back

DunRun 2009

Vs

or even

I think I need to get a grip. Or, larger shirts.

« Reply #5443 on: 10 March, 2015, 12:52:26 pm »
A couple of years ago a doctor, at a Nuffield health check, suggested My Fitness Pal as a useful application for my mobile phone. It now interfaces with Garmin Connect, apparently making it even more useful.

But, and it's a big one, given that I tend not to eat ready made bar-coded food and certainly don't weigh portions, it's actually pretty worthless to me - although I can 'adjust' my estimates to get the number I want;)

A quick example - how many calories and what's the nutritional make up of a slice of bread?

It matters how far through the loaf I am, as well as the recipe and the digestive efforts of the leaven on that particular day.

I understand that some people will weigh what they eat and some eat fully bar-coded food, but I really can't get on with this at all.

87.0kgs this morning.

Mike

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5444 on: 10 March, 2015, 12:59:01 pm »
Weigh the slice and multiply by 3 for approximate Calorie count.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5445 on: 10 March, 2015, 01:01:38 pm »
Help!!!

So I'm trying to get back into long distance stuff but I'm very out of practice. I have been riding regularly and often, and I do train before breakfast so it's not like I'm full of carbs every time I ride.

But I have done 200ks the last 2 weekends and kept getting emergency sugar needs! Will this go away again the more I do of them, I can't remember what endurance stuff feels like any more.

I do use myfitnesspal- this weekend I ate loads. Did a 200k on Sat, ate 3200 cals, then did an 80 mile sportive on Sun, ate 2,500 cals. Today I'm starving. I did 90 mins this morning before breakfast, I'd normally eat 1800 on days where I only do one session of 90 mins, but this has gone to pot today, I'll be at least 500 over that I think I'm so hungry.

I do want to get back to these long rides, but I don't want to get fat. Today I had porridge for breakfast with protein powder, banana and a few nuts, I've had a broad bean and light feta salad for lunch, plus an apple, grapefruit, half a beetroot flapjack thing, a small protein bar snack thing, and some fruit/nuts mix thing and am still really hungry. Help!!! How can I control my jaws that don't want to stop?

I've been on a 200k with you and I know how fast you are.  I'm not surprised you get "emergency sugar needs".
Do you wear a HRM or use a power meter?

The need for calories increases hugely with increased Heart Rate/Power output.  Since you can only metabolise a maximum amount something will eventually give if you are "in the red" too long.
If you haven't ridden long distance for a while, like me, you can also lose the ability to metabolise fat as efficiently as you once did. I'm finding that is something that needs time/miles to reacquire.
My HRM says >1000Kcals an hour at very high efforts on the turbo. There's no way to metabolise sufficient carbs at that rate so I'd 100% bonk after 2.5 hours on the road at that rate.

HRMs only give an approximation but a useful one if you are monitoring your calorie intake/output levels. Certainly more meaningful than distance or time cycled.

Currently I'm experiencing deep-hunger after, what were, just 4 years ago, relatively short distances.
I'm in trouble on PBP if I don't regain the ability to burn fat effectively. 
I expect a HRM would clearly point to my heart rate being significanlty higher than it was 4 years ago over same distances (with an associated higher Kcals burned).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5446 on: 10 March, 2015, 09:01:23 pm »
Probably losing fat slowly.
Lighter than last week.

Up 2kg since Wednesday!
I know I finished the Christmas pudding last night and have been snacking on salty nuts but...

I see my weight also jumped up towards the end of February last year.

I thought I was done with the girly monthly fluctuations; it seems I am not!
I might weigh myself again soon.

Helly aged 56¾

« Reply #5447 on: 10 March, 2015, 09:15:32 pm »
Lee if I am riding the long events I ride them easy, nowhere near the red.

Saturday I think I averaged 135 and Sunday 129 which is easy riding. Very comfortable. Tonight's intervals were around 190, so not quite so much ;)

The numbers my HRM gives me when attached to my garmin is crazy- they just aren't right, it tells me about 700 hour for a HR of about 135 which is complete lies. If i use the wahoo app on my phone it's more like 460 for the same HR so who knows what to believe!

I'm probably not burning fat as efficiently as I was. But if I am getting this hungry after then I'm just going to get fat by doing long rides :-/

simonp

« Reply #5448 on: 11 March, 2015, 01:30:32 am »
I've always found the estimates from the Garmin to be way too high.

190 is very high for intervals. Are you doing HIIT? In last night's spinning class I only got to 184 and that was tough going.

To train for long rides requires long riding. The weekend numbers are about the right zone. I'm aiming to do 80% of my training at moderate intensity and only 20% high.

« Reply #5449 on: 11 March, 2015, 05:06:51 am »
Not HIIT no- last night I did 4 x 6 mins off 2 mins recovery at 10m TT effort.

Very much training for the TT season, the weekend long rides are all I am specifically doing for audax rides/my 24 hour ride, I'm not light on miles- doing about 1800 miles per month as I ride twice a day so I am doing more than enough in the easy zones- I just do 1 10 mile specific session and then on a Thursday a 25m specific session. Plus some running every other day. And weights/gym stuff.

I do loads of stuff at an easy effort but when I'm doing hard sessions I bury myself.