Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300506 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5650 on: 29 July, 2015, 12:05:05 am »
BMI of 22 for morat would be a weight of 83kg or 13st 2lb in old money.
It won't happen unless you're built like Giraffe OTP.

« Reply #5651 on: 29 July, 2015, 09:37:58 am »
Well after  nearly 2 months away from the gym and cycling, due to life stuff, I got back into the rhythm a couple of weeks ago.  And happily my weight has started to slowly decrease again - maybe 1.2-2lbs/week - but that's fine if frustratingly slow, as long as I can continue it for the next 2 stone of weight loss! That's 20 weeks - I foresee an awful lot of gym bike / turbo / rollers (if I get my nerve up) in my future (I'm not a keen wet weather rider)!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5652 on: 29 July, 2015, 12:20:38 pm »
I wore a 20-year-old Size 12 Laura Ashley dress yesterday. (American Size 8).
It was made before vanity sizing, when women had WAISTS. I bought it when I was at my slimmest but got fatter...

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #5653 on: 31 July, 2015, 09:42:38 am »
Post holiday blues today.

After only 6 days away (where I think I was consuming around 4k cals a day and working on my tan) - up to around 82/83 Kg. At worst a 5kg increase over when I left, where I was only 2kg shy of my target.

sigh all to do again  :-[

« Reply #5654 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:15:13 am »

After only 6 days away (where I think I was consuming around 4k cals a day and working on my tan) - up to around 82/83 Kg. At worst a 5kg increase over when I left, where I was only 2kg shy of my target.

Sam, that's just not a credible actual weight gain in the period of time.

velosam

« Reply #5655 on: 31 July, 2015, 11:37:54 am »

You are right. I just googled.

Its what the scales say and I was definitely at 78 when I left and they said 82kg. So something is amiss or I got very lucky on my weight day  with the 78 - kept a photo too lol

I just googled - apparently 3500 calories for 1 lb of body fat. So I have gained approximately 10 lbs.   Which means 35000 calories.

Over 7 days, 5000 extra calories a day.  I don't think I ate that many calories although every was fried (I would have preferred grilled) - fresh fish, etc

So am really not sure why the big swing, or maybe my math or estimate of how much I ate is wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5656 on: 31 July, 2015, 11:41:00 am »

Agreed.
I doubt you can gain more than a kilo of fat in that time despite your best efforts!

I reckon a return to sensible small eating, a bit of exercise and maybe getting your feet up if you have swollen ankles will lose you about 3.5kg.

If you were dehydrated on your pre-holiday weigh-in, that's another matter.

What is your waist measurement doing?

velosam

« Reply #5657 on: 31 July, 2015, 01:18:31 pm »
Waist measurement, very roughly, up by 0.5 inches

« Reply #5658 on: 31 July, 2015, 01:29:07 pm »
And that's 35000 calories consumed and none lost. You'll burn 1000 just being awake during the day.  I'd suggest it's more fluid retention and a gutful of, well, crap  ;D

Chris S

« Reply #5659 on: 31 July, 2015, 01:30:59 pm »
I love all these attempts to make sense of calories-in/calories-out.

You simply cannot make anything useful from these figures. Unless you write them down on a piece of paper, and use said paper as a fire-lighter.

Firstly, your estimate of calories-in is probably completely wrong. Secondly, you're assuming your body can assimilate all of those calories and use them. Thirdly, you're assuming your body will have stored any excess calories (whatever that statement means) as fat.

Truth is, you simply don't know. All you know is that you returned from holiday heavier than you left. Maybe you added some muscle because you were hefting luggage about? Maybe your blood volume went up because it was hot? Maybe your high-fat diet has left you incredibly constipated (a few days of backlog would probably easily account for a kilo of your gain (Yewww!)) Again - you just don't know.

Assuming it's body fat you're concerned about, it accumulates quite slowly - certainly slower than you could detect in six days.

When it comes to over-eating, you can only really use that information in retrospect. If you put on body mass of any kind (fat, muscle, connective tissue, a baby) you have to have taken in more calories than you used for staying alive, that must be true. But you cannot use calorie/exercise burns to predict whether you'll lose or gain weight.

If you want to lose fat, you have to start by encouraging the right hormonal conditions for your body to do that. It has all the machinery ready and waiting - you just have to give it the right conditions. Once you do that, then you can work on encouraging your body to actually burn the stuff - by eating less (NO! Don't count calories, just eat when you're hungry), and by keeping active.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5660 on: 31 July, 2015, 01:41:48 pm »
Waist measurement, very roughly, up by 0.5 inches

Well, that's not around 5+ litres of extra volume, is it?

« Reply #5661 on: 31 July, 2015, 02:08:08 pm »
Secondly, you're assuming your body can assimilate all of those calories and use them.

This is something that a lot of people neglect. Calorific value is derived from burning the dry residue of foodstuffs and measuring the energy released. If the residue is largely fibrous, it matters not how many calories therein, your body would never be able to absorb most of them. So some high calorie foods - or more correctly foods with a high calorific value -  can be less "fattening" than low calorie foods.

And rare meat is less able to be digested than well cooked meat so less energy can be derived from it etc..

As Si says, an awful lot of variables.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5662 on: 31 July, 2015, 03:03:59 pm »
Humans are fairly efficient at absorbing most of the Calories in food. It's true we can't absorb much vegetable fibre but that is not as energy dense as fat.
Sugar absorption is pretty complete (excepting lactose in the lactose intolerant) and most fat is absorbed (if you're not suffering malabsorption or taking Orlistat/oilyshat).

Many people can't eat beyond a certain point though; I don't think I could face 2,000 extra Calories every day for very long.

velosam

« Reply #5663 on: 31 July, 2015, 04:22:50 pm »
I dont know about the 2k calories, it was quite enjoyable, but then I knew it would end.
Here's hoping to some rapid weight drop by next week's weigh in. :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5664 on: 31 July, 2015, 05:04:28 pm »
It WILL happen so long as you are 'sensible'!

Most of the Christmas binge bulge goes around a fortnight into the New Year, as I posted around 7 months ago...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5665 on: 31 July, 2015, 06:03:30 pm »
I dont know about the 2k calories, it was quite enjoyable, but then I knew it would end.
Here's hoping to some rapid weight drop by next week's weigh in. :)
Hints to rapid weight loss: Take all your clothing off, remove foot that joking partner have placed on scales and use the toilet before :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5666 on: 31 July, 2015, 06:08:38 pm »
Place as much bodyweight as possible on left heel...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5667 on: 31 July, 2015, 07:08:47 pm »
It WILL happen so long as you are 'sensible'!

Most of the Christmas binge bulge goes around a fortnight into the New Year, as I posted around 7 months ago...

I posted similar to Gandalf around Christmas/New Year 2011/2.

He gained 8lb, then lost 6½lb

See replies #2107 & 2158 a very long way upthread.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5668 on: 01 August, 2015, 07:53:02 am »
I haven't visited this thread for quite a while because it has been very inappropriate for me to do so. However, I got on the scales this morning and I lost the best part of half a stone when cycling in Scotland. The right side of 19 stone for the first time in a couple of years, I reckon.

Now, where did I put that Lecht...?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5669 on: 05 August, 2015, 02:08:52 pm »
It seems I have not lost any weight this year.  :(
I am no fatter and not fat.
I might have to content myself with that.

Chris S

« Reply #5670 on: 05 August, 2015, 02:12:42 pm »

Is your current weight a problem to you?

If not, no worries!  :)

velosam

« Reply #5671 on: 05 August, 2015, 03:07:38 pm »
Just to update I seem to be settling around 80kg so the weight gain wasn't that bad.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5672 on: 05 August, 2015, 03:13:26 pm »

Is your current weight a problem to you?

If not, no worries!  :)

I would like to be nearer to 9 stone than 10 stone.
It's not a problem as such; I would just like to be thinner/slimmer/lighter/less fat.
It's a pure luxury. I am not diabetic, I have normal blood pressure and cholesterol.

Being lighter would make it easier for my feeble muscles to shift my lumpen body, ease shifting my wheelchair by others and enable me to wear smaller clothes.

I appreciate this is a marginal luxury.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5673 on: 08 August, 2015, 12:06:12 pm »
We've moved the scales to the bathroom so I can weigh myself in the morning.
I was 60.4kg today, some 2.5 litres lighter than midweek.

This is much closer to the real weight I thought I was.

But it's all just noise...

« Reply #5674 on: 11 August, 2015, 10:07:52 am »
Off on holiday on Saturday. 9 days in Austria. Normally I will try eat a country, but this time I will try eat everything, but in moderation. In Europe, it's always the hotel buffet breakfasts that get me.