Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300635 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5675 on: 11 August, 2015, 10:13:22 am »
Off on holiday on Saturday. 9 days in Austria. Normally I will try eat a country, but this time I will try eat everything, but in moderation. In Europe, it's always the hotel buffet breakfasts that get me.

You are lucky, the hotel buffet - breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets all get me.

Not to mention the pastries, ice-creams and beers during the rest of the day! :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5676 on: 11 August, 2015, 12:13:38 pm »
Weighed myself today.
So wobbly it took several attempts to get scales to beep at all.
Got readings of 55.4, 58.2, 57,8 and 60.0kg!!!!

As 60kg is the closest to the last two readings of 60.4kg, this is the one I'll accept.

But it's all nonsense! I'll have to find a more consistent place to put myself and the scales.

In the mean time, I am happy that my hip measurements are showing a progressive loss and that I seem to be a reasonable shape, barring my cankles...

« Reply #5677 on: 11 August, 2015, 01:10:35 pm »
My weight has fluctuated horribly since LEL2013 - got as high as 80 when I was working all hours on my (70+ pages) promotion application. Currently, it's back at 74.5. I remember how good riding up hills feels under 70kg. Had to give up beer. Not drinking again until I'm under 70kg. It's been a month and 2 days (according to untappd - I'm not counting). Two big helps were a nice new bit of cycling kit (Stache 9 29+), and entering a few exciting/scary events.

72.3kg at the mo' - not drinking seems to be the key for me.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5678 on: 11 August, 2015, 10:22:10 pm »
well i'm a bit confused ???.  today swmbo went for a health check,/bmi thing. she came out at 21, and was weighed , at the doctors, and came in a a healthy 57kg. Mmmmm!. 
when she got home, and told me all about it, I insisted she went up to the bathroom, and weigh herself on our /MY scales.  imagine my consternation when she topped out at 60.1 kg :o :o  Sooo that would mean the scales are overreading by 3kg @ 60kg. Now Im topping out at around my target weight of 90kg +/' 1kg ( down 10 kg since jan) BUT what is my REAL weight, It must be at least 87kg maybe less. 

Are doctors scales, the ones with the 2 footplates and a big mini speedo in the middle, guaranteed accurate, I mean are they tested.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5679 on: 11 August, 2015, 11:05:33 pm »
The doctors' scales are not used for trading commodities, so might not be tested for accuracy.
While a 5% error is undesirable, it doesn't make a huge difference for one-off judgements of risk factors.

Hospital scales are probably checked more regularly and my experience of scales for which you put a coin in the slot is that they are usually accurate too.

Weigh yourself at Boots and weigh yourself at home in the same clothes.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5680 on: 12 August, 2015, 07:35:35 am »
That's a good idea  ::-)

« Reply #5681 on: 12 August, 2015, 09:37:02 am »
Heritage railways usually have some ½ cwt weights from olde style scales.

Severn Valley Railway is such a venue. So is The Battlefield Line at Shackerstone. There are many more.
On a daytrip with bathroom scales in Carradice, calibrate the bathroom scales with proper ½ cwt weights.

Or, your house might be on a ley line,,,  ;)

velosam

« Reply #5682 on: 12 August, 2015, 10:23:09 am »

Severn Valley Railway is such a venue. So is The Battlefield Line at Shackerstone. There are many more.
On a daytrip with bathroom scales in Carradice, calibrate the bathroom scales with proper ½ cwt weights.

good idea. I weighed myself on 3 different scales and got readings of -3kg (a good thing) but then +1.5kg (not so good) on the same day with the same clothes and no intakes or outtakes!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5683 on: 12 August, 2015, 12:16:08 pm »
It seems my digital scales read 2kg less in the bathroom than in the bedroom.
Both are carpeted, which is suboptimal.
I have decided to record bathroom weights and partner bedroom weights.

I will return to my trusty spring balance in the bedroom doorway for end-of-year review. This has been how I weighed myself until the last Festive Season.

Morning bathroom weights should be OK  for trends.

simonp

« Reply #5684 on: 12 August, 2015, 12:22:18 pm »
76kg this morning. 8kg heavier than just before PBP 2011 and 4kg heavier than around the time of LEL 2013.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5685 on: 14 August, 2015, 12:10:09 am »

« Reply #5686 on: 14 August, 2015, 07:27:27 am »

good idea. I weighed myself on 3 different scales and got readings of -3kg (a good thing) but then +1.5kg (not so good) on the same day with the same clothes and no intakes or outtakes!

You won't notice, but your body is expelling about 250g of water every hour.

For an example, breath out on a frosty morning and the mist being condensed from your breath is,,,,, WATER !

There is NEVER "no outtakes."

« Reply #5687 on: 14 August, 2015, 08:40:20 am »
Here we go again!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33905745

19 obese people. Fantastic sample size. Any randomisation? Any adjustments for, oo, gender, age, how long you've been obese, body composition?

Also:
Experts say the most effective diet is one people can stick to.
No shit, sherlock.

showed that after six days on each diet, those reducing fat intake lost an average 463g of body fat - 80% more than those cutting down on carbs, whose average loss was 245g.

Dunno about you folks, but I can lose 245g with a hefty visit to the loo. And six days??? Us low-carb defenders will be telling you that isn't long enough for adaptation.

If all I needed to lose was 463g I wouldn't be posting in this thread.

:facepalm:

velosam

« Reply #5688 on: 14 August, 2015, 11:58:45 am »
I hit 78kg this morning, which was my target. May just be a flash in the pan - and not last till my 'official' weigh in but its nice to finally see some 'air' before the 80kg

« Reply #5689 on: 14 August, 2015, 01:36:57 pm »
May just be a flash in the pan -

I'm sorry, but that made me spit tea over the monitor.

As you were ..............

velosam

« Reply #5690 on: 14 August, 2015, 01:47:58 pm »
May just be a flash in the pan -

I'm sorry, but that made me spit tea over the monitor.

As you were ..............

I missed why but apologies anyway

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5691 on: 14 August, 2015, 05:18:11 pm »
Sometimes 'flash in the pan' does not allude to panning gold diggers...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5692 on: 14 August, 2015, 06:33:34 pm »
Sometimes 'flash in the pan' does not allude to panning gold diggers...

The panning reference is new to me.  But the phrase comes from the early days of black powder firearms.

But I'm sure that wasn't the intended meaning either...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #5693 on: 15 August, 2015, 09:13:56 am »
Here we go again!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33905745

19 obese people. Fantastic sample size. Any randomisation? Any adjustments for, oo, gender, age, how long you've been obese, body composition?

Isn't this the same as the sample size chosen by the "chocolate makes you lose weight" spoof study, on the grounds that it would definitely show spurious results? Has the BBC been hoodwinked again?

showed that after six days on each diet, those reducing fat intake lost an average 463g of body fat - 80% more than those cutting down on carbs, whose average loss was 245g.

Dunno about you folks, but I can lose 245g with a hefty visit to the loo. And six days??? Us low-carb defenders will be telling you that isn't long enough for adaptation.

If all I needed to lose was 463g I wouldn't be posting in this thread.

:facepalm:

Exactly. The difference between the two of 218g - a small glass of water or less than an item of clothing - is then claimed as "debunking" previous claims. Surely not even a GCSE student would get away with reporting 3 decimal places for such a measurement, which implies at least 5DP, possibly 6DP of precision in the original weighing!
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

simonp

« Reply #5694 on: 15 August, 2015, 10:05:44 am »
So many studies of nutrition and sports science are way too small. It's annoying.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5695 on: 15 August, 2015, 10:20:08 am »
Recruiting and retaining two groups of a hundred people for a hundred days, keeping to any strict regimen and having A Life, must be well-nigh impossible.
These would be the very least to get anything minimally meaningful IMO so we are left with much second-rate research matter.

As I live near the real world, I sometimes eat high carbohydrate foods and sometimes eat high-fat foods. Sometimes I eat CAEK, which is high in sugar, fat and starch.

I'll just stick to shrinking my portion sizes and extending my gaps between meals.

velosam

« Reply #5696 on: 15 August, 2015, 10:25:26 am »
That study that BBC did ages ago had around 300 people for 6 months.   I will try and dig out the link

« Reply #5697 on: 17 August, 2015, 10:13:43 am »
Recruiting and retaining two groups of a hundred people for a hundred days, keeping to any strict regimen and having A Life, must be well-nigh impossible.
These would be the very least to get anything minimally meaningful IMO so we are left with much second-rate research matter.

As I live near the real world, I sometimes eat high carbohydrate foods and sometimes eat high-fat foods. Sometimes I eat CAEK, which is high in sugar, fat and starch.

I'll just stick to shrinking my portion sizes and extending my gaps between meals.

Yup.

People living near the real world eat in moderation. If they notice their belt getting tighter, they eat less and exercise more until it goes loose.

I did hear, the 'perfect man' has a waistline half his height.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5698 on: 17 August, 2015, 11:54:53 am »
The doctors' scales are not used for trading commodities, so might not be tested for accuracy.
While a 5% error is undesirable, it doesn't make a huge difference for one-off judgements of risk factors.

Last time I was weighed by a doctor, I wasn't even asked to remove my shoes, never mind the rest of my clothes. It made me realise that a 100% accurate figure probably isn't that important for their purposes.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5699 on: 17 August, 2015, 12:38:51 pm »
Doctors are not much interested in your ‘muffin top’. They are more interested if you have to squeeze through their doorway.