Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300593 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6000 on: 17 March, 2016, 12:06:14 pm »
Getting nowhere fast.
Not gaining, not overweight, immobile.
Losing a bit more would be nice but it might not happen.

Eat less.  :thumbsup:

Eating significantly less could mean I miss out on things I NEED.
I don't eat very much.
My hip circumference seems less today.

I am amongst the lightest of those who post here (though little lou will be much lighter and is smaller all round)
I want to stay healthy. Slimmer would be nice but healthy is more important.

« Reply #6001 on: 23 March, 2016, 07:34:02 am »
2 kg shift the wrong way for me over the week, but luckily as I weigh myself daily, it was expected due to some tinkering with the diet. Tried switching over to a carb rich diet for a few days.

« Reply #6002 on: 23 March, 2016, 07:51:42 am »
0.2 kg up over the past two weeks, which is obviously in the noise region.
Which means that the tightened regime when working away from home is being successful. A week in a hotel on expenses with no significant gain has to be a win.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6003 on: 23 March, 2016, 10:54:51 am »
A poor week for me. Very busy/stressed with all kinds of stuff, not least Phyllis being in hospital. A nasty cold has stopped me taking methotrexate for a couple of weeks and now my arthritis is flaring up. I haven't been exercising, other than cycling to the hospital, I performed in a concert and sung a couple of solo bits (more stress) and was given chocolate for my efforts! Dez and Mrs. Wow helped me eat that.

I finish teaching today and will try to concentrate on weight loss during the easter hols.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

« Reply #6004 on: 23 March, 2016, 11:33:55 am »
Slow and steady adjustments here. Strict No Sugar/No Grains diet (way more veg that I used to have on a "Standard Western Diet") and mostly still off the sauce. Hoping to start increasing training again after the fun and games of moving house. The leanest I've been was when we were tandem points chasing in 2013 - so maybe I should just go back to riding 300km every weekend :).

simonp

« Reply #6005 on: 23 March, 2016, 11:51:35 am »
After this morning's fasted training I was 78.0kg.

Yesterday I consumed:

- 4 coffees.

- A bacon and egg brown bap, butter but no sauce.

- Salmon egg and roast veg salad with spinach leaves. No dressing.

- Left-overs of Mediterranean braised lamb with wholemeal cous-cous, feta, olives.

- And for dinner, a salad with mozzarella, parmesan, walnuts, carrots and tomatoes, dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. For dessert I had a nectarine, and at bedtime I had some cherry juice and creatine.

I won't get my FTP/kg up to 4 unless I shift more weight, sadly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6006 on: 23 March, 2016, 12:57:29 pm »
Haven't weighed myself today but weight was down earlier in the week.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #6007 on: 23 March, 2016, 01:06:43 pm »
I lost 9lbs in 5 days!! Not the proper way though. Lurgi for the fail :(
I'll probably put it all back on again with extra as soon as I can be bothered to move.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6008 on: 23 March, 2016, 01:16:51 pm »
Get Well Soon!

You probably won't gain much/any fat in your convalescence.

« Reply #6009 on: 23 March, 2016, 05:13:17 pm »
I am now 11stone11.4 at last nights weigh in, exactly 75kg and 12 lbs down in the last 3 months.  My last FTP was210 but that was before the 3 months training.. However training has been long steady rather than power so i suspect I am about 225.  That still puts me on just on 3W/kg which would be my best ever.

Easter Arrow on friday then it is into an all out power and hill climbing training for BCM and then a week in the Alps in June and then back to the TT for 24hr TT in July all being well.  At my age I just do not see me getting my FTP unto 300 and doing a full time job but it would be so much fun.  I reckon I have another 5-7 pounds to lose to get me down to about 12-14% body fat on our scales.  That would mean i have to get FTP unto 280-290.  I have never been above 260 before so it would be a real stretch.

simonp

« Reply #6010 on: 23 March, 2016, 05:24:01 pm »
Long and steady last year got me to 250W.  Don't diss it!

« Reply #6011 on: 23 March, 2016, 05:52:17 pm »
Thanks Simon.  My plan is Easter Arrow and then a weeks holiday and then retest to get a base for the build phase.  Assuming that there is no large, work behaves itself, mother in law doesn't die again!!, etc

simonp

« Reply #6012 on: 23 March, 2016, 06:07:51 pm »
I'm testing on Tuesday, using a ramp test with O2 consumption and CO2 exhalation. Will be interesting to see if sweet spot base gave comparable fat burning rates to simply riding lots of Audax last year. FTP was 240W in April '15 and I believe it's 260W+ now. May do a trainer road test over the weekend for comparison.

« Reply #6013 on: 23 March, 2016, 07:58:38 pm »
That sounds serious! Where do you go for that and is it worthwile for a very average bloke

simonp

« Reply #6014 on: 23 March, 2016, 09:07:17 pm »
That sounds serious! Where do you go for that and is it worthwile for a very average bloke

BW cycling in Bristol. £100 ish for the first test and £50 ish per repeat. Includes training advice.

My first test in Feb last year showed peak fat burning at around 25% and FTP 220W; had done two 200s in the previous 6 weeks. April after 6 consecutive weekends of 200-400k events, it was 55% and 240W and a few days before PBP 35% and 260W.

The method to estimate fat burning is to use the co2/o2 ratio (respiratory quotient). In the first test the signal was very noisy and all over the place. In the second and third it was much more stable suggesting better metabolism. In particular in the second test the initial reading when I started showed very high fat burning suggesting much improved resting metabolism.

Compared to doing the FTP test in TrainerRoad the results were comparable. It also showed I had good lactate tolerance. The most interesting result was definitely the improved fat burning which was entirely down to lots of audax riding - I didn't cut down on carb consumption per se, though I reduced my eating on rides, generally bouncing controls up to around 200k and eating food I was carrying.

Another finding was that my vo2max was significantly reduced in the second and third tests. Probably fatigue.

simonp

« Reply #6015 on: 24 March, 2016, 08:32:01 am »
As if by magic 1.6kg lost overnight brings up my lightest this year.

« Reply #6016 on: 24 March, 2016, 11:14:09 am »
Currently fluctuating between BMI 19.1 and 19.7. I seem to have a 3 or 4 day cycle.

I have a Garmin Index now. The BF% is ridiculous (I'm about 7% according to DEXA - Garmin says 1.4% when it works), and once I get below about 68kg, it just stops working. The Garmin forum is full of people around BMI 19 saying it needs an athlete mode, and is basically rubbish. On the plus side, it looks pretty, and plays nice with Connect and MFP. I think the Withings 50 is probably the better piece of kit if you don't use connect.

simonp

« Reply #6017 on: 24 March, 2016, 11:19:30 am »
Withings scale has me around 20% fat. Not sure if fat or if I should be using athlete mode. Probably a bit of both.

I'd like to have a DEXA scan to know for sure.

« Reply #6018 on: 30 March, 2016, 09:57:30 am »
Went away for Easter. Damn you hotel buffets!!! Didn't make economic sense to continue a diet while paying for a catered stay. Will have to be super strict this week.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6019 on: 30 March, 2016, 07:45:44 pm »
A bit pissing off that I have put weight on over both the past two weeks. Loads of stress with Phyllis being in hospital and me being in the main firing line have been the main cause. Being on a diet takes a lot of time and effort and I simply haven't had the time. Although I had a great bike ride with The Fridays, I haven't otherwise done a lot of riding and I am way below my 10 mpd target for the year. Having colds has stopped me going swimming, although I have been swimming again over the past couple of days.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6020 on: 30 March, 2016, 10:40:15 pm »
Lose some, gain some.
Probably minimally less fat at very slow pace.
Hip girth down and staying down.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #6021 on: 02 April, 2016, 01:24:45 pm »
I'm up 1.5lb after two weeks off the diet and one week back on. So I'm currently -8.5lb since Jan.  I'm being good today and hope to get back to the 10lb I was before falling off the wagon and then move forward a bit more towards my goal by the end of the month.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #6022 on: 02 April, 2016, 03:22:40 pm »
After getting to 78kg I seem to be on the way up again - 82kg >:(

So its back to myfitnesspal. Its just so easy to change the diet to rubbish food.

simonp

« Reply #6023 on: 03 April, 2016, 10:00:12 am »
76kg this morning after VoTR. Bit thirsty.

« Reply #6024 on: 03 April, 2016, 10:33:43 am »
82 last night before a shower.
80 this morning.

Also thirsty.