Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300719 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6025 on: 03 April, 2016, 12:19:04 pm »
I'm starting to feel like a lightweight...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6026 on: 05 April, 2016, 09:09:20 am »
Having watched the Michael Moseley documentary again, about fasting, I'm freshly enthused to give it a go.

In many respects it seems too good to miss. Weight-loss, sharp decline in risk-factors and increased brain function.  What's not to like? (Oh  yes... the lack of cake I suppose).

It struck me that evolution took millions of years to get us in shape for a feast/famine existence, spending a few days tracking an Antelope across a dusty plain, before gorging on the juicy bits all weekend.  Then the Industrial Revolution comes along, puts Burgers within easy reach, and we start overloading our cells with easy protein and growth hormones.

This fasting regime clearly seemed to agree with our pre-Industrial cells.

The link between fasting and increased brain cells/synapses was amazing, almost evolutions way of saying, "Can't find food?  here's a bit more brain, try thinking harder".
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #6027 on: 05 April, 2016, 12:30:44 pm »
I won't get my FTP/kg up to 4 unless I shift more weight, sadly.

Nor me, though if I did it would not only be faith that could move mountains....

Week 7 of Slimming World draws to a close......still on it.   

That in itself is nothing short of miraculous. I may even have ridden my bike this week   :)

simonp

« Reply #6028 on: 05 April, 2016, 12:35:35 pm »
3.6W/kg now (280W, 77.5kg).

Getting closer. I think 300W FTP is not looking such an unrealistic target.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6029 on: 05 April, 2016, 01:07:12 pm »
At the last weigh in both the mutt and me have stagnated - no up and or down. Honestly I feel good at the 95-96Kg area, don't feel like I need to drop anything more. Though the BMI says I should be about 83Kg, the last time I was that people thought that I was sick.

The mutt still need to get under the 18kg, longer walks due me thinks.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #6030 on: 05 April, 2016, 01:33:55 pm »
Having watched the Michael Moseley documentary again, about fasting, I'm freshly enthused to give it a go.
[/i]".

I do wish the BBC would leave educational shows like that up on iPlayer, or let them stay up on youtube, rather than taking them down for copyright infringement. It's educational and for the public good after all.

Chris S

« Reply #6031 on: 05 April, 2016, 01:37:02 pm »
[/i]".

I do wish the BBC would leave educational shows like that up on iPlayer, or let them stay up on youtube, rather than taking them down for copyright infringement. It's educational and for the public good after all.

Like this one? http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01lxyzc/horizon-20122013-3-eat-fast-and-live-longer  ;D

« Reply #6032 on: 05 April, 2016, 01:42:05 pm »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6033 on: 05 April, 2016, 02:35:15 pm »
I won't get my FTP/kg up to 4 unless I shift more weight, sadly.

Nor me, though if I did it would not only be faith that could move mountains....

Week 7 of Slimming World draws to a close......still on it.   

That in itself is nothing short of miraculous. I may even have ridden my bike this week   :)

Your 12kg loss is most impressive!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6034 on: 05 April, 2016, 04:21:25 pm »

My goal is a weedy (by your numbers) 3.0 W/Kg this year.  I think I was at that point last year at PBP start line (I'd certainly never felt better on a bike) but I eased up and gained weight since.

I think my FTP is around 240W and my weight is .. ahem... a lot.  It's a good, meaningful, metric though, unlike pure power or a specific weight unrelated to each other.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #6035 on: 05 April, 2016, 07:46:40 pm »
I had gradually been chasing POWER on the bike, and gained about 3 kgs in 'muscle', but I caught the dreaded lung lurgy and I've been more or less in bed and off my food for two weeks, and I'm back at 63 kgs again....
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #6036 on: 06 April, 2016, 01:30:56 pm »

Your 12kg loss is most impressive!

Thank you, although this week was a less impressive 300 grammes.

I blame still swollen quads following a more energetic Sunday ride than was anticipated. We find out whether that is true next Tuesday.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6037 on: 06 April, 2016, 03:07:23 pm »
I don't think I'll weigh myself until the end of the month.

We are going away for a long weekend of Good Food and companionship.

« Reply #6038 on: 06 April, 2016, 06:26:05 pm »
We are going away for a long weekend of Good Food and companionship.
We've just had one of those and I was most surprised and gratified to see any drop at all, even if only 300g.
However, we're off to Berlin for a mini-break next week so I suspect things will be a little different in a fortnight's time.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

simonp

« Reply #6039 on: 08 April, 2016, 02:47:08 pm »
Scales still saying body fat around 20-21%.

Did the single point thing above the hit with the accumeasure callipers. Around 12-14%.

Not quite as lean as I got last summer, but it's getting there.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #6040 on: 08 April, 2016, 10:44:03 pm »
Not a happy bunny, it looks like just under 0.5lb for me this week.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6041 on: 09 April, 2016, 11:51:35 am »
Not a happy bunny, it looks like just under 0.5lb for me this week.
Do not fret!
Half a pound of fat still represents a BIG energy deficit.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6042 on: 09 April, 2016, 04:57:08 pm »
The mutt is now under 18kg so just a few more grams to her target.

I sadly went the other way and is resting at 97kg.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #6043 on: 10 April, 2016, 03:44:01 am »

I don't think I'll reach 300w 1hr FTP. 265 is the best I've done on zwift. However, my recent results give us similar results - 252w / 67kg for 3.76w/kg. I'm hoping this sort of form will make Mille Pennines manageable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

« Reply #6044 on: 10 April, 2016, 03:56:01 am »

I don't think I'll reach 300w 1hr FTP. 265 is the best I've done on zwift. However, my recent results give us similar results - 252w / 67kg for 3.76w/kg. I'm hoping this sort of form will make Mille Pennines manageable.

The weight loss thing has been easier this time than previously. I'm putting it down to...

I'm eating more satiety promoting food.

I'm doing more Z1 power riding, which makes me less hungry

My vivosmart hr promotes more activities of daily living induced energy expenditure, so find 1500kcal rest days more manageable.

It'll be interesting to me to see how I do on maintenance. The first few months are usually novel (ooh look at me in my skinny trousers, floating up hills, being asked if I have an eating disorder). Then, I get bored and the dark nights set in, and I'm cold all the time, and I want to eat pies from October - January.

simonp

« Reply #6045 on: 10 April, 2016, 10:51:18 am »

I've never done an hour FTP test and hopefully I never will.

Think I produced marginally more 5 minute power on the Devil's Staircase yesterday than in 2010. But I'm heavier than then and probably have slightly worse FTP/kg.

I did burn 7000 calories yesterday so the weight should be edging down.

Edit: It's worth noting that when I rode the Pendle 600k with Dr Mekon in 2014, it was he who waited for I most of the time.

Chris S

« Reply #6046 on: 12 April, 2016, 09:32:48 pm »
Edit: It's worth noting that when I rode the Pendle 600k with Dr Mekon in 2014, it was he who waited for I most of the time.

It's clearly his way.

"Just going ahead for a pee - I'll wait for you at the top." #lel2013

simonp

« Reply #6047 on: 12 April, 2016, 10:21:34 pm »
Thinking about it, it might have been 2013. It's hard to keep track of all the events I've struggled round.

« Reply #6048 on: 16 April, 2016, 09:40:31 am »
Been using a Vivosmart HR with Garmin connect. It plays with MFP, but it's typically Garmin-ish. You get a bit more credit for activities of daily living than MFP wants to give you. MFP defaults to take this away, so you end up in the bizarre position of doing 20,000 steps for no benefit. I've trusted Garmin whilst on holiday for a week, and come back to my first sub-target weigh in. 7 day and 4w averages are coming down accordingly.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #6049 on: 19 April, 2016, 07:51:47 am »
Well something is not working. 4-5 weeks of calorie counting and no loss in weight.  Not sure why as it worked pretty well last year.