Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300886 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6075 on: 04 May, 2016, 10:43:47 am »

Went to Human Appetite Research Unit (aka the bit behind the locked door near my staff room - jeeze it's fancy, I can see where the money goes). Operator calibrates machine, and I'm consented. Stripped off to pants. In I pop - much more convenient than DEXA. Two scans later, I re-emerge to a disappointed face. Operator calls in a couple of people, then I speak to my mate who is assoc prof in the group. First time they've had it fail. They suspect it's just not sufficiently well calibrated at the bottom end to cope - and this is me 2kg heavier than I've been, supposedly loading up with glycogen as I rest before Heartbeat 400.

Her advice was if you really want to know, get DEXA. Personally, I don't think any of it is that interesting, and I'm glad I don't have to pay.

simonp

« Reply #6076 on: 04 May, 2016, 10:52:32 am »
0.9%. I think that means you're dead.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6077 on: 04 May, 2016, 12:46:49 pm »
0.9%. I think that means you're dead.

Agree. I suspect Dr Mekon is in the 5-8% range but he knew that anyway.

If skinfold calipers were used, I'd imagine over 5mm at several sites, making 0.9% improbable.

« Reply #6078 on: 04 May, 2016, 08:09:04 pm »
Grr! Had an 'official' weigh in at work on Monday. Did the check for YACF this morning. Four pounds up!  ??? :o
And I was so annoyed I forgot to update the weight tracker thread! Now done for this week and last.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6079 on: 05 May, 2016, 02:02:09 pm »
Getting nowhere fast.

I might just give up trying to lose weight and try to maintain my BMI at 22.5.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #6080 on: 06 May, 2016, 12:37:14 am »
I've lost 10 Kg overall but that's in the year to date!
Basically I've lot about 25% of what I was planning  :'(
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6081 on: 06 May, 2016, 12:43:39 am »
Now that is good going :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6082 on: 06 May, 2016, 01:35:28 am »
It is often not realistic to expect to lose more than 2kg per month.

Maintaining any weight loss is as important as losing the weight. Yo-yoing is not healthy.

10kg loss is a substantial achievement; don't forget that and DON'T give up.
(Says she who has given up but is not now overweight and does not wish to regain her lost weight.)

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #6083 on: 06 May, 2016, 09:24:03 pm »
Not giving up O:-).

I meant (Lousy headache typo) that I had aimed for around 25% more than that. i wanted to do 3kg+ a month. Happy enough with where I am.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6084 on: 06 May, 2016, 09:43:34 pm »
IMHO 3kg/month is unrealistic and unhealthy.

2kg/month is a lot anyway.

Keep going! It's a long hard slog and persistence DOES pay off!

Eventually...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #6085 on: 06 May, 2016, 09:58:59 pm »
I think it partly depends how lardy you are.  It's relatively easy to lose several kg in a month when you have 50 or so spare ones knocking around, IME.  It's the continuing to lose them (after those initial several) that is tricky, so well done PD :)

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #6086 on: 06 May, 2016, 10:43:29 pm »
That's the Good thing about being totally Lardesque. The first few go like an iceberg calving but, as Crinklesby says, it slows as the total reduces. I've been there around 20 years ago, down from 15st 9lb to 11st 7lb.
I'll just keep trying and ignore the Voice of the Pringles calling out to me.... Probably!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6087 on: 11 May, 2016, 11:54:47 am »
I can safely say I am not losing weight.

« Reply #6088 on: 11 May, 2016, 12:28:52 pm »
Up slightly this week.
'Not bad considering the weekend I had'
'but all my weekends are like that'

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #6089 on: 11 May, 2016, 02:17:05 pm »
Just started posted my weight on the tracking thread again.

I win! Woo hoo!  :thumbsup:

1 hulver is currently weighing in at

138kg
or
2.24 hellymedics
2.1 DrMekons
1.69 fboabs
1.62 Chris Ss
1.51 Hams

;D

« Reply #6090 on: 11 May, 2016, 03:20:08 pm »
Excellent weight loss this week has mostly occurred in the bathroom in the last 24 hours.

I don't think this is the kind of weight loss that helps between Llandiloes and Machynlleth.

simonp

« Reply #6091 on: 11 May, 2016, 03:34:09 pm »
3.6kg loss in 3.5 months. Spot on, and I'm not even doing anything other than training lots.

Chris N

« Reply #6092 on: 11 May, 2016, 03:36:03 pm »
I need to lose some weight. :(  I've got a pair of jeans somewhere that I never want to have to wear again - a 38" waist, bought when I finished uni fifteen years ago (too much beer, not enough exercise). Done it before, mostly just by riding my bike lots and got down to 75kg or thereabouts with a 32" waist (I'm 5' 11").  My jeans are getting a bit tight now, after 3 years of relative inactivity - though I haven't weighed myself.

I think we eat pretty healthily so no major changes to diet except for no more sugar in coffee, drink more water, less alcohol and no more late-night snacking.  More importantly, more bike riding - at least 2 commutes (40 mile round trip) per week, and one other ride per week.

5 months later and I've only just sorted my head out enough to get on with trying to get back into shape. :facepalm:

Weighed myself a couple of weeks ago (86kg :( ) and have cut out the snacks and booze.  Still putting sugar in coffee but only 1/2 a spoon in a couple of cups a day.  More riding - am now able to convince myself that an hour on the bike is worth it, not just for the fitness but also for my mood.  Trying to make it easier to commute to work by leaving clean clothes at the office - that way, if I want to ride at short notice, I can.  Would like to get back to 75kg, but 80 is a more realistic goal for this year.  No regular weigh-ins, but will check every couple of months and see how it's going.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6093 on: 11 May, 2016, 07:56:48 pm »
Hulver, why you little ... I just got my head around stones and inches. And now you are introducing a new measuring standard, thanks mate :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6094 on: 11 May, 2016, 08:00:40 pm »
Excellent weight loss this week has mostly occurred in the bathroom in the last 24 hours.

I don't think this is the kind of weight loss that helps between Llandiloes and Machynlleth.

Get well soon!
Hope you are fit enough to tackle those Welsh hills!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6095 on: 11 May, 2016, 08:08:14 pm »
Just started posted my weight on the tracking thread again.

I win! Woo hoo!  :thumbsup:

1 hulver is currently weighing in at

138kg
or
2.24 hellymedics
2.1 DrMekons
1.69 fboabs
1.62 Chris Ss
1.51 Hams

;D

I'm not sure you do win, actually!

Good luck with your efforts; it's hard work and a long battle. We are here to support you.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #6096 on: 11 May, 2016, 10:58:13 pm »
Hulver, why you little ... I just got my head around stones and inches. And now you are introducing a new measuring standard, thanks mate :)

Yes, sorry. Too many choices. Perhaps I should express it as "How many hellymedic's would DrMekon have to strap to himself to weigh one hulver"  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6097 on: 11 May, 2016, 11:56:47 pm »
Stones are IMO a useful, if archaic, unit of weight.
½ stone = average newborn
2 stone = average 2 year old
4 stone = ideal 8 year old
10 stone = slim adult

simonp

« Reply #6098 on: 12 May, 2016, 12:09:15 am »
I'm currently 1.2 slim adults. I have to say, though, that now my SI skin fold is 6mm again, it means I am probably putting on muscle with all the rowing training, rather than getting fat.

« Reply #6099 on: 12 May, 2016, 09:34:58 am »
Hovering about 11stone 11 at the moment.  However I saw 11 stone 8 this morning so I may have broken the next weight barrier. Aiming for 11 stone 6 and a %fat of about 13-14 according to my scales.  Started at 13 stone  in January so quite pleased.

I am doing harder hilly rides at the weekend and finding that weight even goes up on Sunday Monday, maintains Tuesday, wednesday then drops on Thursday.  I suspect it is fluid retention in the muscles as it does seem to correlate with muscle pain.