Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300562 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6125 on: 25 May, 2016, 10:53:45 pm »
I thought it was all too good to be true!
I have actually lost as many Killer grams as I thought but, New scales and confirmed in a local chemist this afternoon, my start point was a lot higher and I'm now down to where I thought I was when I started (127kg, down from 133kg in December 2015)

Oh wel. :-\
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6126 on: 25 May, 2016, 11:05:50 pm »
Sympathies! My whole minimal 2014/2015 loss was negated by new scales.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #6127 on: 25 May, 2016, 11:23:51 pm »
Sometimes, PD, it's not so much about the destination as it is about the journey.  The kgs wouldn't have been any easier to lose from the different starting point, and whatever else - you have lost 'em.  Keep on keeping on!

simonp

« Reply #6128 on: 25 May, 2016, 11:25:33 pm »
Yesterday morning was my lowest this year. This morning I was away so that'll have to be this week's weight.

« Reply #6129 on: 28 May, 2016, 11:28:03 am »
It's three 200mm rings (4mm stainless) and 8 M8 bolts, so I'm sure I can do a mock-up if I was so inclined. But you're right, it's negligible compared to my belly.

I don't think they will let you keep it when they take it off. The price of the components of these ex-fix kit are shockingly expensive!

Good job on the weight loss. It's very impressive to be able to control what you eat when you are laid up resting. (Personally I can't do that- if I sit down too much I start thinking about what I can eat.)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6130 on: 28 May, 2016, 12:15:13 pm »
Methinks they might well let CL keep his frame as they might well think they can't economically do critical failure tests on it.

« Reply #6131 on: 01 June, 2016, 07:35:59 am »
I don't believe I've 'really' put on half a stone in a week.  :-[

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6132 on: 01 June, 2016, 12:46:45 pm »
Your weight graph is similar to mine: pan-flat and NOISY!

It's not usually possible to gain half a stone of fat in a week but 3 litres of water can easily bloat about.

« Reply #6133 on: 03 June, 2016, 07:54:34 am »
It's three 200mm rings (4mm stainless) and 8 M8 bolts, so I'm sure I can do a mock-up if I was so inclined. But you're right, it's negligible compared to my belly.

I don't think they will let you keep it when they take it off. The price of the components of these ex-fix kit are shockingly expensive!

Good job on the weight loss. It's very impressive to be able to control what you eat when you are laid up resting. (Personally I can't do that- if I sit down too much I start thinking about what I can eat.)
I thought that too, but then saw a fellow patient walking out with his inna plastic bag after they took it off his leg. The issue is, I suspect, that they don't know what's happened to it in the four months or so I'll be wearing it, so they can't safely re-use it.

Re the weight loss: had a pin site infection so unwell for a while and paid no attention to diet. 91.5kg.   Time to get back on the wagon 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6134 on: 03 June, 2016, 01:04:07 pm »
Sorry to hear of your pin site infection, cl!

I'm sure you will get back on the wagon successfully!

(I see you've echoed my frame souvenir thoughts.)

« Reply #6135 on: 04 June, 2016, 07:40:11 am »
You are in the wars!

I'm carrying a load of post-600 and holiday weight. Or at least having felt like I was made of bird bones sub 66kg, at 71 after a big meal at Tebay (Westmoreland farm shop) services I feel flabby (oh my god, it's so awesome. I could eat myself to death there. Surely there's an audax route that takes it in so I can spend 7000kcal there).

« Reply #6136 on: 04 June, 2016, 07:51:54 am »
Golly- just seen you could stop there if you did the border raid 600. *Considers entering just for the eating*

« Reply #6137 on: 05 June, 2016, 10:19:08 pm »
You are in the wars!

I'm carrying a load of post-600 and holiday weight. Or at least having felt like I was made of bird bones sub 66kg, at 71 after a big meal at Tebay (Westmoreland farm shop) services I feel flabby (oh my god, it's so awesome. I could eat myself to death there. Surely there's an audax route that takes it in so I can spend 7000kcal there).
In the wars? No, about half of Ilizarov patients have at least one infection at some point. And I just went back to work a bit too early - now that I can't give anaesthetics, I then spent more time at a desk. Having the foot dependent just made the leg swell, which I think is where the mischief started.

Better again - total of 4 miles walking today and a (very) brief period on a cross trainer. Just to see how I get on, like. Painful at the ankle - foot dorsiflexion really pulls on the pins. But we'll get there. Time on a turbo would actually work really well since the ankle can stay at 90 degrees. Problem is, the frame bashes into, well, the frame (at least it did on the stationary bike at the physio's). So unless i can find an abslutely HUGE flatty pedal, it's a non-starter. Never mind.

Still 91.5kg but we had LOTS of guests over half term - beer and barbecues. Nomnom.

« Reply #6138 on: 05 June, 2016, 10:57:22 pm »
Hmm. I have some really big nukeproofs that are so low profile you could sandwich them between a pair of metal plates that were bolted together.

I also have a tacx smart trainer and a Zwift subscription you'd be welcome to use. Happy to drop pedals and turbo around.

« Reply #6139 on: 08 June, 2016, 07:27:23 am »
Are you fecking kidding me. No, it's for real, 2.5kg in a week. Fuck right off, I have damaged ribs and can't even *walk* without pain so pile on those pounds while I'm feeling shitty. FML, as the kids say.

« Reply #6140 on: 08 June, 2016, 09:18:45 am »
Bet it's not real. It's water and glycogen as your body recovers from a) all the cycling and b) your injuries.

The ultracycling webpage suggests even a week of tapering before an event should lead to a 2kg weight gain.

Log the calories, trust them, and forget the scales for now, IMO.

« Reply #6141 on: 08 June, 2016, 09:54:23 am »
In the wars? No, about half of Ilizarov patients have at least one infection at some point. And I just went back to work a bit too early - now that I can't give anaesthetics, I then spent more time at a desk. Having the foot dependent just made the leg swell, which I think is where the mischief started.

Better again - total of 4 miles walking today and a (very) brief period on a cross trainer. Just to see how I get on, like. Painful at the ankle - foot dorsiflexion really pulls on the pins. But we'll get there. Time on a turbo would actually work really well since the ankle can stay at 90 degrees. Problem is, the frame bashes into, well, the frame (at least it did on the stationary bike at the physio's). So unless i can find an abslutely HUGE flatty pedal, it's a non-starter. Never mind.

Still 91.5kg but we had LOTS of guests over half term - beer and barbecues. Nomnom.
If you are ok with Iodine can you slather it on the pin sites?

Regarding exercise would you be able to use a rowing machine?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6142 on: 08 June, 2016, 09:56:57 am »
Hmm, back on the waggon and back on MFP. Heavier than I was at New Year is disappointing but I can't change that so I just have to start from where I am.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

simonp

« Reply #6143 on: 08 June, 2016, 10:04:11 am »
Don't know what I weigh as I've been away. Probably about the same.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6144 on: 08 June, 2016, 12:18:59 pm »
Bet it's not real. It's water and glycogen as your body recovers from a) all the cycling and b) your injuries.

The ultracycling webpage suggests even a week of tapering before an event should lead to a 2kg weight gain.

Log the calories, trust them, and forget the scales for now, IMO.

Wot 'e sed.
2.5kg fat gain in a week is not really feasible.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6145 on: 08 June, 2016, 12:22:51 pm »
No weight to record this week - birthday party and CAEK but I don't think I'll have gained much.
I'm not losing long-term either.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #6146 on: 08 June, 2016, 03:32:52 pm »
I don't seem to have lost much weight wise. Girth does seem to have shrunk a bit though.

I've been tired a lot after exercise though, feeling like I could sleep for a week. Sod this getting old lark, although it's better than the alternative.

No, I'm not over training. A couple of times a week to the gym, and a "long" ride on the weekend. Plenty of rest days.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something in my diet. Mrs. H has gone "non-meat" eating (still eats fish, dairy, eggs) so I'm rarely eating meat either. Lack of protein? Maybe I should eat more eggs.

« Reply #6147 on: 08 June, 2016, 04:05:39 pm »
I don't seem to have lost much weight wise. Girth does seem to have shrunk a bit though.
I think most advice these days says that shrinking the girth should be the main goal, so you are doing well.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6148 on: 11 June, 2016, 10:46:00 pm »
89.5 kg this morning. First time under 90 in at least a decade. Probably more to do with the empty stomach and fighting off an infection than with actual fat loss, but encouraging nonetheless.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6149 on: 11 June, 2016, 10:57:58 pm »
89.5 kg this morning. First time under 90 in at least a decade. Probably more to do with the empty stomach and fighting off an infection than with actual fat loss, but encouraging nonetheless.

Under 90kg INCLUDING FRAME!!!!

Well done!