Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300725 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6175 on: 11 August, 2016, 06:13:08 pm »
Having discovered that my Olympic body type is that of a weightlifter and the fact that my eating and drinking is not as good as it has been, means I need to be more public about my weight loss on a weekly basis. Back to posting my loss / gain in pounds.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #6176 on: 11 August, 2016, 08:01:17 pm »
Like JenM I'm back too.  I'm not sure if the post op swelling will make a difference to my actual weight or not but I weighed yesterday and I'm -11lb on my Jan 1st 2016 weight, so just 10lb more to go.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6177 on: 11 August, 2016, 09:03:03 pm »
After 6 weeks, your post-op fluctuations should have normalised. I can't remember how long it is though lou. You're doing well and have had MUCH bigger fish to fry this year.
I've stopped weighing myself and suspect my weight is steady.

« Reply #6178 on: 11 August, 2016, 10:46:10 pm »
As the almost never ending 600s stretch on I'm down to 60.6 kgs....  I've done nothing dietary wise at all, and I eat whatever and whenever I please - e.g. back home from the Nat 400 and after a meal I had a serves 6 Sainsburys trifle....

The riding loses the weight, is my message.... (if you have the time, I admit...)

Hmmm. I always put on weight when the big rides hit over the summer.
This year is far from exceptional.

Cycling never assists in weight loss, for me. In fact, I was thinner before I took it up with such over enthusiasm. The appetite generated always exceeds the calories burned.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6179 on: 11 August, 2016, 11:33:44 pm »
As the almost never ending 600s stretch on I'm down to 60.6 kgs....  I've done nothing dietary wise at all, and I eat whatever and whenever I please - e.g. back home from the Nat 400 and after a meal I had a serves 6 Sainsburys trifle....

The riding loses the weight, is my message.... (if you have the time, I admit...)

Hmmm. I always put on weight when the big rides hit over the summer.
This year is far from exceptional.

Cycling never assists in weight loss, for me. In fact, I was thinner before I took it up with such over enthusiasm. The appetite generated always exceeds the calories burned.

...which is why I'm around 15kg lighter now, than when I had an 11,000 mile/year cycling habit....

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6180 on: 11 August, 2016, 11:36:20 pm »
I always put on weight in winter and drop it as my riding increases with the longer days. YMMV, of course.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

simonp

« Reply #6181 on: 12 August, 2016, 12:34:42 am »
This year I've done less cycling than for years. I've done a lot of rowing.

I'm the heaviest I've ever been. And my jeans keep trying to fall down.

lou boutin

« Reply #6182 on: 12 August, 2016, 11:10:42 am »
After 6 weeks, your post-op fluctuations should have normalised. I can't remember how long it is though lou. You're doing well and have had MUCH bigger fish to fry this year.
I've stopped weighing myself and suspect my weight is steady.

Thanks Hellymedic that's good to know.

I'm 4 weeks post op at the moment and still have a little swelling but it's much better than what it was.  Before the op I comfort eat and piled weight on, I'm not sure how much as I was too scared to weigh myself - all I know is that my clothes were far too tight. They now fit despite the little bit of swelling I still have.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6183 on: 12 August, 2016, 01:14:57 pm »
I've posted before that a tape measure is your friend.

Waists will fluctuate a lot with food, fluid and gas but it's useful to have an idea of your range.
Clothing is a good indicator but postop swelling might make 'loose' clothes tight in some places.

Hip/bum circumference is the real test of weight. It's surprisingly difficult to place a tape measure consistently but again, get to know what's normal for you.

lou boutin

« Reply #6184 on: 18 August, 2016, 12:32:16 pm »
Today I am -11.6 lb. I do however have quite a bit of sweeping having over done it and having to return to hospital for an emergency check up  :-[

Actually that should be swelling not sweeping!!!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6185 on: 18 August, 2016, 12:36:20 pm »
Hope your health get sorted! Remember, weight loss should not be your first health priority!

lou boutin

« Reply #6186 on: 18 August, 2016, 12:47:27 pm »
Hope your health get sorted! Remember, weight loss should not be your first health priority!

Thank you.  I'm not trying to lose weight at the moment, I'm just eating sensibly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6187 on: 18 August, 2016, 07:58:03 pm »
Pleased to hear this!
Keep healing!
Eating sensibly is the way to go.
Little women need very little food.

I looked at a website for my self and it estimated I needed about 1400 kcal to maintain a steady weight and I'm rather taller than you! (Obviously, I can't be active though.)

« Reply #6188 on: 19 August, 2016, 07:12:52 am »
The RCN has some formulae to calculate a person’s Basal Metabolic Rate. It involves body surface area for heat energy loss. The unit is Cals/hr/m^2. There is an age offset.
This is for a person who is laid in a hospital bed all day and all night, to maintain a sensible fat%.

I’m a 176cm bloke and my BMR is 1600 kCals/day. A 150cm woman could be as low as 1250 kCals/day.

When trying to lose fat%, add any physical activity requirements ( or a good percentage of ) to BMR for TARGET MASS to get a day total.

lou boutin

« Reply #6189 on: 19 August, 2016, 10:38:25 am »
I think I'm eating a 1200 cal diet at the moment. When I'm not at work I lose weight because:
A) I don't feel the need to comfort eat
B) I can more easily eat a healthy diet.
C) I'm not tempted by hot chocolate and pastries every time I leave the office.

essexian

« Reply #6190 on: 24 August, 2016, 06:42:39 am »
Back in 2007, CBH and I went on holiday to Skye during which we tried to go for a walk in the Cuillins Mountains to the south of the Island: very lovely there are too.  However, it soon became clear that I was not very fit and we turned back after only a few miles.

Upon returning home I reluctantly got on the weighing scales to discover much to my horror that I weighed 21 stone 5lb, or 299lb if you prefer it that way. Given that I am only 5 foot 5 tall (yes, very short for a bloke) that gave me a terrible BMI and put me at risk from a load of health issues. So, grabbing the bull by the horns, I quickly did something about it..... yes, I sat on my butt for a couple of years!

Come 2009 I had had enough of not being able to find clothes to fit and panting when I tried to do anything physical. So, I brought myself a new bike and took up cycling. Overtime I managed to lose a couple of stone but tended to put it back on again. So, as I have noted previously on this forum, last October I had a gastric band fitted as frankly, my blood pressure and diabetes problems were poorly controlled and it didn't fancy following my younger brother into an early grave.

So, why am I writing this today....well I have just been on the scales which show a weight of 14 stone 2lb, or 198lb. Thus, I have lost 101lbs and am officially a third less of a man I used to be!  ;D

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6191 on: 24 August, 2016, 07:47:37 am »
Jolly good show
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #6192 on: 24 August, 2016, 07:49:00 am »
Woohoo essexian!

simonp

« Reply #6193 on: 24 August, 2016, 08:00:22 am »
\o/

« Reply #6194 on: 24 August, 2016, 08:02:32 am »
Brilliant!

Meanwhile back here I'm just glad that my post-holiday weight is about the same as it was a month ago, before the summer hecticness started.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6195 on: 24 August, 2016, 01:16:12 pm »
Well done essexian!

« Reply #6196 on: 25 August, 2016, 09:15:55 am »

Oh, FTR, you are not a third less, but a third of the man you were...

D'oh.

« Reply #6197 on: 25 August, 2016, 01:02:21 pm »
Oh, FTR, you are not a third less, but a third of the man you were...

Two thirds, shirley?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6198 on: 25 August, 2016, 01:08:54 pm »
A third of what he was would be rather lighter than me. (I'm the same height.) This would not be healthy.
Some women of my height are 7 stone but that's very thin and definitely an unhealthy weight for a man.

« Reply #6199 on: 25 August, 2016, 01:14:14 pm »
Congrats essexian!

I'm consistently under 104kg at the moment, which is lighter than I've been for at least 3 years, and - looking at some old photos - probably more like 5 or 6. Sub-100 here I come...