Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300587 times)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6300 on: 18 December, 2016, 12:37:42 am »
Thanks Helly. Definitely trying to start 2017 with a bang - but also trying to use the rest of this year as a gentle run-up to it! Having Blu (the dopey greyhound) has helped too, when I can summon some energy. I walked about 9km today, mostly taking him around town and the long way home to try to wear him out.

Last club ride of the year tomorrow, so I'm going to try to drag myself out on that. It should be a gentle bimble up to our favourite pub, so manageable even for my hollow-feeling legs. The challenge will be getting up and out the door in time.

« Reply #6301 on: 19 December, 2016, 10:03:32 am »
Deposits are trivial. Leaks are heavier.
I was 0.7kg lighter on Saturday than Wednesday, but it's all noise.
Your deposits may be trivial, but all fboab about the effects of my very high fibre diet. Yesterday, I did 2600 kcal of exercise on top of my BMR, but despite being in my deficit to the tune of 1200kcal, the 3200kcal I did eat, along with the weird cyclical effect I see in my weight meant my weight leapt 1.2kg.

I type this from the bathroom. I should have done a before and after on the scales!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6302 on: 19 December, 2016, 02:23:20 pm »
AIUI average adult faecal weight is around 250g.
A high-fibre diet may double this (unreferenced supposition).
A pint of water weighs nearly 600g...

Osmotic shifts in and out of the gut are another 'noise' consideration.

« Reply #6303 on: 19 December, 2016, 03:35:52 pm »
"I'm not overweight, I'm just full of sh!t"

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6304 on: 21 December, 2016, 01:09:58 pm »
Penultimate weight of the year.
Precisely the same as the first.
Ho hum...

Last weight of the year is MOAR.

Ho ho ho ho hum!

« Reply #6305 on: 28 December, 2016, 11:39:20 am »
New weight report thread for those who want to play next year.

« Reply #6306 on: 28 December, 2016, 11:57:03 am »
Thanks, fboab.  :thumbsup:

Maybe next year will be a little more successful than this in the weight department.

[[ETA]]
400g up on the year. Could be worse but not really very successful.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #6307 on: 28 December, 2016, 08:14:35 pm »
Many thanks fboab

I need to be more consistant.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6308 on: 31 December, 2016, 11:41:28 am »
Last time I weighed myself officially was in June. I've stepped on the scales a few times since but haven't dared to record the numbers. Think I'm up to about 84kg now. Possibly higher. It hasn't been a good year - lots of stress from work and home life. Have set myself a target of 72kg by the end of 2017. Have also signed up to Dry January.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6309 on: 31 December, 2016, 01:39:55 pm »
I've put on a few kilos over the last few months I guess (no scales to weigh myself on, hurrah).

However, I can't decide whether to actually do anything about it or to just live with it, knowing that in the summer I am usually lighter weight (for me).

When I was 29 I was 123kg and reduced to 68kg with a mega diet in 10 months; I maintained the lower weight for a few years and then it gradually crept up. It usually stabilises around 93kg but heads up to 100kg-ish around winter. I guess that's where I am now. I've been overweight my whole life, my default dress size is 18 and that's just how it is.

So I was reading a bit about low-carb, thinking that might be an idea for me, but I am coming to the conclusion that my apparently 'natural' weight is 93kg and if I don't do anything about it I tend to end up at that weight in the summer. I don't drink alcohol, have never smoked, have a relatively healthy diet (except for too many cakes and biscuits), live a relatively low-stress life, do lots and lots of exercise (cycling and walking) and I'm wondering if I should just accept that I'm fat but otherwise OK. Is it worth stressing about weight? I'm 45, I've been overweight for 40 of those years. Maybe I should just live with it, I'm not sure I have enough willpower to do much about it any more. There are more important things in life!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

citoyen

« Reply #6310 on: 31 December, 2016, 04:01:51 pm »
There are more important things in life!

That sounds like the right attitude.

I am unhealthy and unfit and I know that losing some weight would help to improve my general wellbeing. If you are healthy and happy, why give yourself stress that you don't need?

« Reply #6311 on: 31 December, 2016, 07:55:44 pm »
As I now have a set of bathroom scales* I can join in again. Particular effort will be required as I am away two nights a week so restaurant meals and less commuting miles.

I would like to have shifted 10 kg from my current 80kg for fear of following my fathers example and gaining his paunch.  :hand:

*Yes my Christmas list was that exciting

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6312 on: 31 December, 2016, 10:15:07 pm »
It's not been a good year, and though I'd step on the scales every now and then, I stopped recording back in April.  I picked up weighing again after returning from 3 weeks in the US, and I'm now cycling 4-5 days a week.  I wouldn't be daft enough to say I'm all gung-ho about this, but having made some progress these last two months I know I can get down to a more sensible weight.  When I way less cycling is easier, and therefore I have more fun.  I also have some clothes I'd like to be able to wear again.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #6313 on: 31 December, 2016, 11:22:10 pm »
Seems I've gained 2kg since end of 2015. Not convinced it's all muscle. Diet suspended today.

Mind you did train today.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #6314 on: 31 December, 2016, 11:46:38 pm »
I really do need to get my act together and lose some serious weight. Diabetes control is dangerously bad and the effects of being Hyperglycaemic most of the time are scaring the hell out of me! I'm now over 129kg, I was 89kg when I joined ACF, and I'm only 173cm tall. I MUST go Low carb', purely for the Diabetes control. I need to start "Doing Stuff and Moving About a bit", having More normal portions and STOP eating as one binge a day and following that up with crisps and chocolate. I also, as a result of the brain injuries, have Diabetes Insipidus so water levels in my body go up and down a lot but, prescribed, synthetic Hormone medications make that vary even more.

"Eat less, Move around More" is to be the main theme of my diet.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #6315 on: 01 January, 2017, 12:02:04 am »
Will weigh in later when I take a shower, but it'll be around 98kgs, which is the heaviest I've ever been. Further, I've done very little exercise the last 8 months (and not a lot in the months prior to that), so I've lost a lot of muscle,  which means I'm also at my highest body fat % ever.
BP is up (back on meds now for the first time in many many years), migraines are very frequent and I blame it all on being fat.
So, goal is to get near the 80kg mark by the end of the year, which is pretty optimistic, but I also know that it is doable. The first bit of flab should come off easily with some discipline. It'll be a low-carb diet and I will probably also introduce a calorie count after a month or so. Initially I just want to start lifting weights, eyeball the portion sizes and scrap the sugary snacks.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6316 on: 01 January, 2017, 12:06:18 am »
Isn't that a bit drastic, being for you about only eight and a bit left hours of the year ... that only works if you are still on the west coast of Canada :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6317 on: 01 January, 2017, 09:37:49 am »
I'm on 71 kg this morning, which is 2.5 kg more than my lightest last year but 3 kg less than 1st Jan last year.  I'm aiming at 68 kg (for my 1m74) and should get there once I start riding regularly again, i.e. when there's no risk of ice.  I'll also be out in the workshop more often and spending less time on this damned computer.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6318 on: 01 January, 2017, 10:18:41 am »
Re AH's post: 

I was told that I was overweight from the age of just 5.   Looking at old photos though I certainly was not imo.   I have always had a large frame with broad shoulders and limbs like girders.   

This weight issue bugged me for years.  In the late eighties I was running 80 miles a week and it was two weeks before my first London marathon.   At my MOT the plump little nurse pronounced me obese.   This was clearly ridiculous but her chart said so so that must be right.  No?

I have mainly tried to not give a flying .... any more but tend to judge myself on how I feel in health terms.   I would feel better in myself if I lost some weight, or would I?   Having had that 'nagging' at the back of my mind for close on fifty years perhaps I will never be happy with myself.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6319 on: 01 January, 2017, 10:43:22 am »
Well the nurses chart would like me at 83kg and that would just be wrong as I would be a bag of bones. I'm under 95kg for the first time in eons and do feel very good. Though how much better, if any gain, closer to say 90 I don't know, a kg or so more would do the job for me.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #6320 on: 01 January, 2017, 11:03:23 am »
''Forgive me father for I have sinned   :demon:''   Up 5.3 kg since last Jan  :facepalm:, but interestingly only up 1 kg since last  weigh in back in June. This is mainly due to my work commitments that require vehicular transport ( its a tad difficult carrying cement and plasterboard on a bike) and also a series of continual unwellinesses including Being knocked off, viral chest infection,  a cold, suspected viral meningitis, chest infection,  stress fracture of the metatarsals in my left foot, followed a week later by 4 days in Amsterdam, walking prob 8 hrs a day, meaning that by the time i flew home  my foot was 'well bloated' and very painful, and of course, :facepalm: throughout these times , battling the black dog with the contents of the alcohol cpd.

But 2017 is a NEW year,  and I am determined NOT to get any fatter, drink MUCH MUCH less, be fitter,  kick back,  and enjoy the simpler life abit more.  Now then ....where's my pint? ;)

citoyen

Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6321 on: 01 January, 2017, 01:43:29 pm »
Just measured my waist at 100cm, which is pretty shocking - that's a height:waist ratio of 0.57.

It's not so long ago that it was 0.45.

simonp

« Reply #6322 on: 01 January, 2017, 03:16:13 pm »
My waist is still about 33". That would be 84cm so 0.46 ratio. It's hardly changed despite weight gain, I have put the weight on in a healthy way.

« Reply #6323 on: 01 January, 2017, 04:10:51 pm »
I'm 45, I've been overweight for 40 of those years. Maybe I should just live with it, I'm not sure I have enough willpower to do much about it any more. There are more important things in life!

Being a health psych, my sense is that your experience is entirely normal - successful weightloss is so rarely maintained, there's a database of people who kept the weight off. I get money from research councils to develop and evaluate interventions to promote weight loss because UK people are cheaper when they are skinnier. Whether you should live with it is your choice - there's a chance you'll experience less morbidity, but that the benefits of a lower BMI are less than you think. Even still, probably will be cheaper for society.

What's interesting to me is the willpower thing. My PhD was in the area of models of motivation and their ability to account for intervention induced behaviour change in the context of obesity protective behaviour. In plain english (or as plain as I can do), my PhD looked at whether when exposed to efforts to change diet or exercise, is it individual's motivation that makes the difference. The answer from my studies was "mostly no". My mate Tom, who also is an audaxer, did a landmark meta-analysis that showed that across all behaviours, it takes a huge change in motivation to bring about a little change in behaviour.

TL:DR - don't rely on will power. Change your environment so that good habits* are sustained by default, and self-monitor rather than put your head in the sand.

*what those good habits are is beyond my expertise, but the results from that database are...

45% of registry participants lost the weight on their own and the other 55% lost weight with the help of some type of program.
98% of Registry participants report that they modified their food intake in some way to lose weight.
94% increased their physical activity, with the most frequently reported form of activity being walking.
There is variety in how NWCR members keep the weight off. Most report continuing to maintain a low calorie, low fat diet and doing high levels of activity.

78% eat breakfast every day.
75% weigh themselves at least once a week.
62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week.
90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day.

citoyen

« Reply #6324 on: 01 January, 2017, 05:16:56 pm »
TL:DR - don't rely on will power. Change your environment so that good habits* are sustained by default, and self-monitor rather than put your head in the sand.

That's fine until external stuff breaks you out of your routine, which is exactly what happened to me. I'd got to a point a few years ago where I was finding it easy to maintain the good habits but then shit happened... And kept on happening. A relentless tide of shit.

I really need to find a way to get back into those good habits in spite of the shit. I guess that's where willpower comes in.