Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300737 times)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6350 on: 04 January, 2017, 04:24:15 pm »
The rather old school Commando 7 exercises appeal: anyone tried these?

Not wearing underpants will only save a few ounces.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6351 on: 04 January, 2017, 05:03:22 pm »
Speaking for myself only, there can be fluctuations of ± 0.8kg with no change in exercise and little in diet.

I'm getting back into weighing myself daily. Today I was 1.5kg down on yesterday. Won't take me long to hit my target of 12kg loss at this rate! On the other hand, I won't be at all surprised if I'm 2kg up again tomorrow. As I know from past experience, it's long-term trends that matter, not short-term fluctuations.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6352 on: 04 January, 2017, 08:48:16 pm »

Target for this year is reduced variation. Am bored of the pattern of gaining weight as I ride more, especially when I start doing longer audax. Aiming to go hyper and do LEL this year, so this will be a decent challenge for me.

7% body fat is rather low. (and doesn't really correspond with the BMI of 20?). Are you use you need to lose weight?:)

simonp

« Reply #6353 on: 04 January, 2017, 08:58:42 pm »
His target weight is his current weight, so I don't think he means to lose weight.

« Reply #6354 on: 04 January, 2017, 09:05:03 pm »
I'm not sure if reducing variation is practically possible.
Speaking for myself only, there can be fluctuations of ± 0.8kg with no change in exercise and little in diet.

Sticking to ultra-regular meals and drinks would mean I'd never go out/away.

I'm half a kilo down on last week, despite three nights away and some Big Hotel Meals as well as dreadful constipation.
I'm only looking for +/- 2kg rather than the +/- 5kg I've typically seen. Not fussed about daily fluctuations - indeed, I like that Garmin's default snapshot in connect mobile is the weekly average.

Btw, I read two things that made me think of things you've said this week. First was that Sloths can lose a third of their body weight when they poo. Second was that in a trial to find the limits of the benefits of fruit and veg consumption, people in the huge number of portions per week had the biggest "deposits"

Target for this year is reduced variation. Am bored of the pattern of gaining weight as I ride more, especially when I start doing longer audax. Aiming to go hyper and do LEL this year, so this will be a decent challenge for me.

7% body fat is rather low. (and doesn't really correspond with the BMI of 20?). Are you use you need to lose weight?:)

No, I want to maintain weight. I don't need to lose more. Indeed, when I was down below 18.5, I felt awful everywhere but hills (albeit my training stress balance was >100, and I was reacting badly to meds).

In terms of whether 7% is correct, whilst I wouldn't want to defend BIA measures of body composition, I've had DEXA, and got the same number when I was a kilo lighter, but hadn't been training as hard or had a strategy for maintaing a sensible protein intake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6355 on: 04 January, 2017, 09:18:57 pm »

Dr Mekon is tall and tall people have a high BMI for a relatively low fat percentage simply because BMI relates weight to the square of height, not its cube...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6356 on: 04 January, 2017, 09:36:56 pm »
Clarion - it's 2017 mate.
The hazards of accessing the forum on a phobile moan :-[

Anyway, I have now joined the modern world in 2017, and am trying hard at this weight business.  Aiming for 100kg initially, and 85 longer term. Perhaps 80 if I can manage it.  We'll see.
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #6357 on: 04 January, 2017, 09:48:24 pm »
I'm 80kg. Meet you half way?  ;D  :facepalm:

« Reply #6358 on: 04 January, 2017, 09:58:41 pm »
7% is what elite athletes will be at (or thereabouts). For a normal person, it's very low :).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6359 on: 04 January, 2017, 10:06:28 pm »
Very pleased that I start this year about 8 kilos less than I started last year. Mind you, last year's Christmas was just one long binge. This year, I have had a good run-up, having given up dairy and refined sugar in early November. My weight loss was immediate: 3 weeks later I was more than 4 kilos lighter. Since then, everything has slowed down remarkably. I did have a "diet holidayt" over Christmas, but not by that much.

I'm doing the "Dry January" thing again - although I will have alcohol when in company of other drinkers. That will probably be only twice or three times in the entire month.

I think my default position is now no-dairy-no-sugar. I am hoping that in the longer term this will see a steady, if slow, loss of weight.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

simonp

« Reply #6360 on: 04 January, 2017, 10:14:15 pm »
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that SwarmCatcher is not 1.74cm tall.

It's rather broken the BMI graph.

simonp

« Reply #6361 on: 04 January, 2017, 10:20:33 pm »
Simple work-around: if a user's height is claimed as <1m, multiply by 100.

« Reply #6362 on: 04 January, 2017, 10:53:29 pm »
7% is what elite athletes will be at (or thereabouts). For a normal person, it's very low :).

I think elite cyclists are nearer 4%, and at least a couple of the riders in the pub group I go out with have lower BF%. Still, it's enough to elicit comments from medics and junkies on my veins. TBH, this makes it look worse than it is, in that DEXA showed I'm 5% body fat up top, and 12% down below. My legs aren't this veiney. I was 7.1% on DEXA at 70kg.

« Reply #6363 on: 04 January, 2017, 11:56:08 pm »
Right...I should have said healthy elite athletes. I don't think 4% is sustainable and certainly do not look at in-tour road cyclists has healthy (body) role models.

Samuel D

« Reply #6364 on: 05 January, 2017, 10:18:45 am »
Very, very few people have 4% body fat. Froome was at 9.8% in August 2015, in the physiological data he released, down from 16.7% in 2007 (when he was slightly pudgy by pro cyclist standards but still slim).

simonp

« Reply #6365 on: 05 January, 2017, 12:23:51 pm »
Our scales say 22% for me.

I hope that's inaccurate. I don't have DrMekon's veins, though.

Chris S

« Reply #6366 on: 05 January, 2017, 12:29:32 pm »

I'm heavier than you, and certainly less trained currently; my scales claim I'm 22.5%, so surely you'd be less? Dr Volio (FOTP) was/is pretty vocal about the inaccuracy of absolute figures from these machines. FWIW, the reading does seem to go down when I'm leaner, but I'm still not convinced it's measuring anything useful.

simonp

« Reply #6367 on: 05 January, 2017, 12:43:15 pm »

I'm heavier than you, and certainly less trained currently; my scales claim I'm 22.5%, so surely you'd be less? Dr Volio (FOTP) was/is pretty vocal about the inaccuracy of absolute figures from these machines. FWIW, the reading does seem to go down when I'm leaner, but I'm still not convinced it's measuring anything useful.

Indeed; I think realistically (based on quick and dirty skinfold check) it's somewhere between 15% and 20%.

The scales can't tell if increased upper body weight is fat or muscle. The mirror says it's a bit of both, my core, shoulders and arms have got stronger from rowing. The number has been stuck in the 22-24% range for the last 12 months or so.

Currently I'm trying to run a small calorie deficit, but actually undershooting by quite a long way most days due to several c. 1000 calorie workouts in TrainerRoad each week, plus rowing training, and having cut down on large milky coffees, replacing then with unsweetened espresso.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6368 on: 05 January, 2017, 12:55:00 pm »
Very, very few people have 4% body fat. Froome was at 9.8% in August 2015, in the physiological data he released, down from 16.7% in 2007 (when he was slightly pudgy by pro cyclist standards but still slim).

Some pros get down to 4% at the end of strenuous tours, like TdF, but their doctors also know that they are very susceptible to illness at that level, and I suspect they do their utmost to increase their body fat.  Low body fat is an advantage up to a certain degree. 
When you're relying on fat reserves to get you through repetitive a long days in the saddle then there's only so much you can lose before your immune system starts complaining.

It's fair to say that my immune system has no immediate concerns.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #6369 on: 05 January, 2017, 02:02:15 pm »
It's fair to say that my immune system has no immediate concerns.

Ahh. Everyone I know has had Christmas Lurgy, apart from me. I've been quite intimate (ooo er, missus) with a bunch of snotty folk and I'm fit as an ox.

Protected By Lard.

« Reply #6370 on: 05 January, 2017, 02:18:17 pm »

Dr Volio (FOTP) was/is pretty vocal about the inaccuracy of absolute figures from these machines. FWIW, the reading does seem to go down when I'm leaner, but I'm still not convinced it's measuring anything useful.

Yes, I was very sniffy about impedance, and I'm entirely open to the possibility that me getting 7.1% on DEXA and 7% on Garmin index is a case of "even a stopped clock..."

I have access to a BodPod at work, but I tried it when I was 65kg, and it said I was 2% body fat, which was clearly nonsense. Our conclusion at work was that it's just not calibrated for very low levels of body fat. There are DEXA scanners on campus, but when I was last scanned, I was told they have to charge a scan as a £300 cost - I can't see myself getting that as a freebie.

In terms of what is healthy for middle aged men, I don't think there's consensus (although being overweight when you are old seems protective). One of the nutrition profs at work said he'd have no concerns at 6% body fat. However, my respiratory consultant suggested I maintain 70.6kg to give me some reserve in case of an exacerbation.

I wish I'd been scanned at >100kg before I started cycling to work regularly

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #6371 on: 07 January, 2017, 01:20:12 am »
I weighed in on Thursday, got confused what day it was, and in the 1 st week of diet and exercise (limited as I have bad Sciatica and the Meniere's makes moving around a bit risky) I've lost around 2 kg. Very pleased with that, I'd settle for 1 kg a week lost. I think I've found a way to ease some of the brain injury symptoms a little bit and am feeling quite positive with that. All helps the Motivation work for me,
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #6372 on: 08 January, 2017, 07:34:00 pm »
I've now added my target. It's very conservative. Can I get down to my minimum weight of last year before the anniversary of reaching that weight? I (hope I) will be updating this as we go through the year.
We have our 'fat club' at work again this year. As I am now working in a team as opposed to being on a project of one (unlike the last two years) there may be more support (or nagging) involved. Let's hope so.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

simonp

« Reply #6373 on: 09 January, 2017, 11:56:58 am »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3458836/Can-really-survive-eating-POTATOES-year-man-risk-health.html

Apologies for Daily Mail.

He's lost 10kg in 4 weeks eating nothing but potatoes.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6374 on: 09 January, 2017, 12:00:44 pm »
I'm sure it's been done before.

I don't want to die of boredom at any weight.