Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300726 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1425 on: 16 February, 2011, 11:31:20 pm »
I've rediscovered my HRM. Gonna try and put in some serious fat burner rides, not going above 125bpm unless absolutely necessary.

"Tell me, Monsieur Manotea, how often is it absolutely necessary to go above 125bpm?"
"Practically all the time"

Chris S

« Reply #1426 on: 16 February, 2011, 11:33:58 pm »
I've rediscovered my HRM. Gonna try and put in some serious fat burner rides, not going above 125bpm unless absolutely necessary.

"Tell me, Monsieur Manotea, how often is it absolutely necessary to go above 125bpm?"

125bpm???  :o

I can only ever manage that low when I'm freewheeling. And like you, I ride bikes that make that quite hard to do. You're either going to be incredibly slow, or you sir have had a heart transplant, and they used an elephant heart.

Manotea

« Reply #1427 on: 16 February, 2011, 11:41:51 pm »

125bpm???  :o

I can only ever manage that low when I'm freewheeling. And like you, I ride bikes that make that quite hard to do. You're either going to be incredibly slow, or you sir have had a heart transplant, and they used an elephant heart.

Well, maybe 130... Thing is, for the next month I'm going to try and stop riding round in 'the dead zone' all the time and differentiate between riding 'slow and long' and 'fast and short'. God, it sounds like 'training'...

border-rider

« Reply #1428 on: 17 February, 2011, 12:11:58 am »
I can easily trundle along at < 125.  in fact I often find myself slacking down to that level and have to forcibly work a bit harder.  But I don't often get above 170 these days.   Even a steep hill will usually see me at only 160 or so.

This may be because I ride a gear much smaller than Mr O'Tea's.  On Monday I was out on one 25" or so smaller, in fact.

Manotea

« Reply #1429 on: 17 February, 2011, 12:25:13 am »
My impression is that running a longer gear I hit my physical (strength) limitations at a lower heart rate than I would a shorter gear. I was out this afternoon for ~40km and found I could stay under 130 quite happily on the flat and low rolling hills for about 25kmph. On higher rolling terrain - I hesitate to say 'hills' - my HR strayed up to the 140s. What was noticeable that I was riding in a more relaxed and consistent style. I'll be riding a 200km this weekend in company with a variety of terrain - flat, long rolling and a couple of bumps - so it will be interesting to see how well I keep up and how I feel after.

simonp

« Reply #1430 on: 17 February, 2011, 12:32:04 am »
<131 would be easy training for me; long steady is 131-143bpm.

For maximum total fat burn you work at 50% vo2max which is 132bpm for me (69% MHR)

- %MHR = 0.64x%vo2max + 37, sez web.

So maybe Manotea's target is right if his MHR is lower than mine, which is 192 (measured during vo2max test).

This corresponds to 150W power. Which is what I tend to average on long events.  I'll ride harder on shorter rides and burn more calories per hour.

Manotea

« Reply #1431 on: 17 February, 2011, 12:34:15 am »
My max is around 180bpm, Lactic Threshold around 135bpm

Almost time for my V02 Max test assuming they still want me. The ride down to Reading is a good fat burner opportunity, about two hours each way across flat / low rolling terrain.

simonp

« Reply #1432 on: 17 February, 2011, 12:49:48 am »
My max is around 180bpm.

Almost time for my V02 Max test

Have fun!  Hardest I've ever worked, it was. I got 4.05l/min. This gives a score of 56 at my current weight or 59.5 at 68kg like last summer. I suspect my absolute capacity was higher then so I may have nudged over 60. I really should do another test, and then an in-season one.

Do you also get other metrics like LT?

Manotea

« Reply #1433 on: 17 February, 2011, 01:08:58 am »
My max is around 180bpm.

Have fun!  Hardest I've ever worked, it was. I got 4.05l/min. This gives a score of 56 at my current weight or 59.5 at 68kg like last summer. I suspect my absolute capacity was higher then so I may have nudged over 60. I really should do another test, and then an in-season one.

Perhaps if I ask nicely. MattH may know. Sadly I was bumped off the programme for doping (antibiotics) in November before I did the lab test. I did a V02 Max test a few years back but my results were pathetic. I cling to the belief this was due to lack of practice riding turbo and being a bit lardy at the time.

« Reply #1434 on: 17 February, 2011, 10:51:19 am »
Right, should be at the end of the blip now that my rib is back to normal (and I can push harder at 5-a-side) and I've cut down on the unnecessary booze at home.

Am currently hungry, and have been for 30 minutes. Lunch in just over an hour. I'm learning to love the feeling of hunger again.

Just have to remember to order with my head not my stomach when I go to the canteen...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #1435 on: 17 February, 2011, 10:54:42 am »
My max is around 180bpm.

Have fun!  Hardest I've ever worked, it was. I got 4.05l/min. This gives a score of 56 at my current weight or 59.5 at 68kg like last summer. I suspect my absolute capacity was higher then so I may have nudged over 60. I really should do another test, and then an in-season one.

Perhaps if I ask nicely. MattH may know. Sadly I was bumped off the programme for doping (antibiotics) in November before I did the lab test. I did a V02 Max test a few years back but my results were pathetic. I cling to the belief this was due to lack of practice riding turbo and being a bit lardy at the time.

LT is perhaps more important to know for training purposes; VO2max is less useful but it's still interesting to know.

« Reply #1436 on: 19 February, 2011, 08:36:01 pm »
OMG, this morning I reached 58.6kg, I had set my target to hit 58kg by June. Nearly 5kg lost in 7 weeks! However the problem is that to achieve that I have done absolutely nothing with my diet, just rode my bike. Have been putting away 2-3 bottles of wine a week, and eating plently of Cadbury's Creme eggs too. I've dropped back to a UK size 8 again. Now, I am impaled on the horns of a new dilemma, should I order my new Assos shorts in a size down? (I really need a 2nd pair, but the medium are now in danger of becoming too big for me).

The other thing is, if I am losing at this rate will it slow down? I don't care about becoming skinny, no one in my life gives a shit what I look like (it's the advantage of being single) but I don't want to lose muscle. I have never lost weight before without changing what I eat so I am in new territory here. I suppose the 880 miles I have ridden in 6 weeks is what's dong it  :D

simonp

« Reply #1437 on: 19 February, 2011, 11:35:36 pm »
Well, it seems that you need to start eating more.

Manotea

« Reply #1438 on: 19 February, 2011, 11:44:48 pm »
Welcome to the legendary Halls of Fathalla, where the once lardy stop worrying about losing weight and start worrying about ensuring they get enough to eat!

Unlike Hotel California, few check in and sadly, many don't stay long.

« Reply #1439 on: 19 February, 2011, 11:52:46 pm »
OMG, this morning I reached 58.6kg, I had set my target to hit 58kg by June. Nearly 5kg lost in 7 weeks! However the problem is that to achieve that I have done absolutely nothing with my diet, just rode my bike. Have been putting away 2-3 bottles of wine a week, and eating plently of Cadbury's Creme eggs too. I've dropped back to a UK size 8 again. Now, I am impaled on the horns of a new dilemma, should I order my new Assos shorts in a size down? (I really need a 2nd pair, but the medium are now in danger of becoming too big for me).

The other thing is, if I am losing at this rate will it slow down? I don't care about becoming skinny, no one in my life gives a shit what I look like (it's the advantage of being single) but I don't want to lose muscle. I have never lost weight before without changing what I eat so I am in new territory here. I suppose the 880 miles I have ridden in 6 weeks is what's dong it  :D

I think it's just bloody unfair TBH. I've done more miles than that (ish) and have been doing some poxy diet plan and suffering starvation (well, OK, restricted greed, and cake-deprivation) and nearly never drink, and have lost nearly nothing.
Stop telling us about it, okay?

:jealous:

simonp

« Reply #1440 on: 20 February, 2011, 12:01:45 am »
I've been riding lots, and eating lots.

My weight is this: constant.

71.9kg.

That's the same as the last time I checked.  And the time before that.

Ok maybe +/- 100g :)

simonp

« Reply #1441 on: 20 February, 2011, 12:05:04 am »
Welcome to the legendary Halls of Fathalla, where the once lardy move from worrying about losing weight and start worrying about ensuring they get enough to eat!

Unlike Hotel Caifornia, few check in and sadly, many don't stay long

I really had to eat like a pig when I was doing 400 miles a week, last summer.  That's at least 12,000 calories a week - my BMR should be around 1700, so I was basically doubling that, plus any other activity would add even more.  I probably required around 4,000 calories per day.  Three curries (curry, rice, naan) a day would have just about covered it.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1442 on: 20 February, 2011, 08:24:13 pm »
73kg (11 stone 6) seems to be my base weight in my current shape (that is, with the extra muscles from weights).  I'm struggling to drop any lower and, frankly, looking a little gaunt despite the small pot I'm still carrying.  Time to even out and go back to strength training.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #1443 on: 23 February, 2011, 10:31:39 am »
Kilo a week plan is working - BMI starts with a 19 again.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1444 on: 23 February, 2011, 10:34:39 am »
My rather inaccurate bathroom scales told me that I had broken the 110 kg barrier this morning: 109.9. That's the first time for a very long time that I've been below 110. Inaccuracies aside, the downward trend is there. 116ish kg at the start of the year.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1445 on: 23 February, 2011, 10:57:02 am »

When I started riding properly my weight dropped from 15 stone to 13 stone pretty much as you describe

I stopped loosing weight at 13 stone and it's very difficult to go any lower.  So 15 to 13 was easy, 13 to 12 stone 7 lb is very very difficult

My waist size was up to 36"(or even 38") but now it is typically 34" with the occassional outbreak of 32".  Some trousers are ok on the waist but my thighs don't fit in them

Get some cheap shorts (ie Lusso Coolmax) in an appropriate size for right now.  Unless you see an absolute bargain on ebay of course :)

simonp

« Reply #1446 on: 23 February, 2011, 11:12:41 am »
I used to often go down to 10st 3-4 or so if I was stressed or ill.

Now that would be 11st.  It's more muscle, I tell you!

jimbhoy

« Reply #1447 on: 23 February, 2011, 11:14:58 am »

When I started riding properly my weight dropped from 15 stone to 13 stone pretty much as you describe
I stopped loosing weight at 13 stone and it's very difficult to go any lower.  So 15 to 13 was easy, 13 to 12 stone 7 lb is very very difficult

My waist size was up to 36"(or even 38") but now it is typically 34" with the occassional outbreak of 32".  Some trousers are ok on the waist but my thighs don't fit in them

Get some cheap shorts (ie Lusso Coolmax) in an appropriate size for right now.  Unless you see an absolute bargain on ebay of course :)

The exact same thing happened to me also, when i got to 13 stone i stayed there for about a year, the lowest i got to was 12st 8lb, but just couldn't maintain it, then i quit smoking after 20 years of doing so, and managed to put 2 stone back on, now i'm back trying to follow the lose 2lb a week thing, been ok so far, but must stick to it.

« Reply #1448 on: 02 March, 2011, 02:10:43 pm »
Fell off the (1kg a week) wagon this week, and straight into a Waitrose pecan cheesecake (sabotage by a visiting relative). No weight loss, despite 285km in the last 7 days. I suspect the port infused porters over the weekend didn't help much, either.

simonp

« Reply #1449 on: 02 March, 2011, 02:13:54 pm »
I am making slow progress on the graphing.  It might be ready by the end of the year at this rate.  ::-)

(It's actually not needing very much more work, it's just finding the time).

Oh, btw, Greenbank: I'm probably going to have to fiddle around to work-around your "PBP" entry in August.  :P