Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300384 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1575 on: 04 May, 2011, 12:52:21 pm »
My weight is steadily creeping back up - net gain of about 3kg so far this year. Been very slack on the exercise front in 2011. Apart from the occasional long swim, I've done very little indeed.

I was hoping to do PBP this year, so should have done at least a 200 & a 300 by now, but haven't done anything longer than a 50mile Sunday morning club ride. Very disappointing. I'd already done 3x 200 and 1x 300 by this time last year. Plus I was doing a 12mile ride as part of my commute most weekdays, and I haven't done that once so far this year.

New target is a double SR - hopefully having something to aim for will motivate me to get off my fat arse and ride my bike.

Need to cut down on the pies & booze too.

Ho hum.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1576 on: 04 May, 2011, 02:06:11 pm »
the answer to this question is possibly burried in this thread somewhere ......I consistently find that my weight goes up by several pounds post audax and after a few day drops back to pre-ride weight or a net loss.  I know i eat alot on the rides but not that much!!  any ideas / answers?

'Injured' muscles swell and absorb water, which they lose as they recover.
Rebuilding glycogen stores also increases overall weight, as there's about 4 grams of water on each gram of glycogen. Body glycogen stores are around 400 grams, so that's around 1.5 litres water to 'weigh you down'.

The effect is more marked if youve had a chest infection or flu on the ride (yeah we all know you shouldn't go with these; it's due to ADH secretion.)). I've had a 4 kg shift - gain then loss - in the week following a 300k.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1577 on: 04 May, 2011, 04:32:20 pm »
the answer to this question is possibly burried in this thread somewhere ......I consistently find that my weight goes up by several pounds post audax and after a few day drops back to pre-ride weight or a net loss.  I know i eat alot on the rides but not that much!!  any ideas / answers?

'Injured' muscles swell and absorb water, which they lose as they recover.
Rebuilding glycogen stores also increases overall weight, as there's about 4 grams of water on each gram of glycogen. Body glycogen stores are around 400 grams, so that's around 1.5 litres water to 'weigh you down'.

The effect is more marked if youve had a chest infection or flu on the ride (yeah we all know you shouldn't go with these; it's due to ADH secretion.)). I've had a 4 kg shift - gain then loss - in the week following a 300k.

Which would explain why, when I've weighed in at WeightWatchers after a long ride (e.g. the Cambridge to Coast Ride in March) I haven't lost much weight - but the following week shows a large weight loss.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #1578 on: 04 May, 2011, 08:58:57 pm »
I've been getting back into this - down from 90.1 to 86.3 kg a few weeks. This is despite aiming for a target intake that should see a loss of a more sensible 0.5 kg or so a week.

A few days of diligent app-aided calorie counting at the start was educational. I've just naturally stopped wanting to eat any or as much of certain things having seen the numbers. Take-away food of almost any kind and ready-to-heat anything are out, or need to be earned with some bike miles. In the case of a Domino's pizza, a lot of miles - see their website for an eye-opener.

simonp

« Reply #1579 on: 04 May, 2011, 11:13:16 pm »
I've been getting back into this - down from 90.1 to 86.3 kg a few weeks. This is despite aiming for a target intake that should see a loss of a more sensible 0.5 kg or so a week.

A few days of diligent app-aided calorie counting at the start was educational. I've just naturally stopped wanting to eat any or as much of certain things having seen the numbers. Take-away food of almost any kind and ready-to-heat anything are out, or need to be earned with some bike miles. In the case of a Domino's pizza, a lot of miles - see their website for an eye-opener.

This is the thing with calorie counting - you don’t need to do it all the time, once you recalibrate your eating habits.

« Reply #1580 on: 04 May, 2011, 11:37:23 pm »

This is the thing with calorie counting - you don’t need to do it all the time, once you recalibrate your eating habits.

I think I have recalibrated my eating habits to mahoosive! I dread to think what's going to happen if I ever decrease my mileage!

simonp

« Reply #1581 on: 04 May, 2011, 11:43:03 pm »

I think I have recalibrated my eating habits to mahoosive! I dread to think what's going to happen if I ever decrease my mileage!

Fatness.  I buy jeans in December then have to start wearing a belt by March-April time as I get back towards a sensible weight.

OK, so 12 stone for someone ~6 feet isn’t fat.  But it is fat compared to 10 3/4 stone.

You can do the calorie counting thing to recalibrate when your exercise habits change as well, to avoid the bloatage.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #1582 on: 05 May, 2011, 08:15:40 am »
Im 5ft 9inch & 62kg / 9 stone 10lb

I look seriously ill like a bad drug addict. It's not a problem though as I've always been this way, so if anyone wants to throw some weight my way ?  :)

« Reply #1583 on: 05 May, 2011, 11:47:02 am »
Really nice narrative review of the literature on restrained eating - click here

The section on implementation intentions (my area), the external environment and automatic processes, esp packaging cues is useful. The rest is mainly about where people go wrong. I'd suggest reading it all is likely to bore you into unrestrained eating, but using the headings, it is quite accessible. If you can be arsed to read it, I'd summarise it as "dieting doesn't work, make healthy eating your habit by planning your meals, not buying tempting stuff, and instead use low energy density food so weight control will be less effortful and less prone to lapses".<breathes out>

Why did I eat that? Perspectives on food decision making and dietary restraint

Melissa G. Bublitza, low asterisk, E-mail The Corresponding Author, Laura A. Peracchioa, E-mail The Corresponding Author and Lauren G. Blockb, E-mail The Corresponding Author

a Sheldon B. Lubar School of Business, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, PO Box 742, Milwaukee, WI 53201, USA

b Zicklin School of Business, Baruch College, Marketing Department, B12-240, New York, NY 10010, USA
Received 25 June 2010;
accepted 28 June 2010.
Available online 31 July 2010.

Abstract

Consumers trying to watch or restrict what they eat face a battle each day as they attempt to navigate the food-rich environments in which they live. Due to the complexity of food decision making, consumers are susceptible to a wide range of social, cognitive, affective, and environmental forces determined to interrupt their intentions to restrict their dietary intake. In this article, we integrate literature from diverse theoretical perspectives into a conceptual framework designed to offer a better understanding of the antecedents, interruptions, and consequences of dietary restraint. We outline a path for researchers to investigate how restraint behaviors in the eating domain influence a wide variety of consumer psychological phenomena. It is our hope that a collective examination of this literature provides a lens that directs future research on food decision making and dietary restraint and empowers consumers to invest their cognitive and behavioral resources towards healthy eating behaviors.

Keywords: Dietary restraint; Dieting; Eating behavior; Food consumption; Food

« Reply #1584 on: 06 May, 2011, 06:40:57 am »
Can I come back in please as I have balloned since Christmas and the Dr has issued a stern warning that he will have to up the pill dosage (blood pressure / Cholesterol) if I do not lose weight.

At the moment I can just get my pulse up to 130 but it is a real struggle.  Bigger dose lower top pulse  :(  I will be crawling around.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1585 on: 06 May, 2011, 08:54:33 am »
This morning I have put on a pair of Rohans that have a little slack in the waist...Last time I wore them about a month ago there was a little jogler-overspill in that region :)

« Reply #1586 on: 06 May, 2011, 01:40:22 pm »
This morning I have put on a pair of Rohans that have a little slack in the waist...Last time I wore them about a month ago there was a little jogler-overspill in that region :)

Well that's either very good news  O:-) or Marj has been diplomatic and eased them at the seams when you weren't looking.  ::-)

simonp

« Reply #1587 on: 08 May, 2011, 03:44:40 pm »
Back to 70kg today. Looks like it was a blip.

citoyen

« Reply #1588 on: 09 May, 2011, 11:51:12 am »
What yesterday's Hop Garden 200 told me is that my general fitness condition isn't bad, but I do need to shed a few pounds of excess flab as a matter of urgency - going up hills was harder work than it might have been if I were lighter, and this could be a real issue on the Beast 600 in three weeks.

Got caught by the paparazzi (Mr & Mrs Cyklisten) while grunting up Holly Hill towards the end of yesterday's ride. Quite shocked at how lardy I look in the pics.  :(

d.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1589 on: 09 May, 2011, 12:48:07 pm »
Whatever else you do, suspend all weight loss effort in the four days before The Beast.
Carrying a few extra kg uphill may be hard work and slower than you'd hope; riding with no motor will make The Beast's completion impossible.
Don't ask me how I know this...

citoyen

« Reply #1590 on: 09 May, 2011, 01:07:00 pm »
Don't ask me how I know this...

;D

It's sensible advice. I'm not planning on a stupid crash diet though - just staying off the booze and trying to be careful not to overeat, which is my usual problem. Next week's 400 should burn off a few excess calories too.

d.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1591 on: 09 May, 2011, 02:21:51 pm »
To do a 600, you need access to all the accessible energy stores in your body. They are the first to go when you start a weight loss program (and the last to return...). Subcutaneous fat releases its energy so slowly, it may not be much use to the randonneur.
Accessible energy is found in glycogen (muscle and liver), abdominal fat and recently-eaten foods (any, so long as it's absorbed).
Eat well in the days before The Beast and on the ride itself.

« Reply #1592 on: 10 May, 2011, 01:33:25 pm »
86.0 kg today.

A few things I am noticing from this food diary business:

- too much of my energy comes from fat
- too much of my fat comes from chocolate - in fact, on most days chocolate, If I've had any (which is rather often) is my biggest single source of fat

- fat or chocolate or not, 8 out of 10 days I'm within my calorie limit
- my worst enemy with all this is bad eating habits: getting too hungry too late in the day to get stuck into cooking properly hence a temptation to eat relative crap.

simonp

« Reply #1593 on: 10 May, 2011, 01:35:55 pm »
86.0 kg today.

A few things I am noticing from this food diary business:

- too much of my energy comes from fat
- too much of my fat comes from chocolate - in fact, on most days chocolate, If I've had any (which is rather often) is my biggest single source of fat

- fat or chocolate or not, 8 out of 10 days I'm within my calorie limit
- my worst enemy with all this is bad eating habits: getting too hungry too late in the day to get stuck into cooking properly hence a temptation to eat relative crap.

What's the % breakdown, SP?

« Reply #1594 on: 10 May, 2011, 04:06:54 pm »
The app / website that I'm using doesn't give me that info directly, but working it out on the basis of 9 cal / g fat, it varies from 25% to over 40%.

« Reply #1595 on: 10 May, 2011, 04:29:18 pm »
I`ve lost two and half stone in 5 months on a low-fat diet, but fear is helping a lot as I`m suffering with painful gallstones!

simonp

« Reply #1596 on: 10 May, 2011, 04:33:05 pm »
The app / website that I'm using doesn't give me that info directly, but working it out on the basis of 9 cal / g fat, it varies from 25% to over 40%.

If that averaged out to say 35% I'd not be too worried.  Racing Weight has a section about the nutritional breakdown and you can cope with a fairly wide range of fat/carb balance in your diet.

I'd suggest that aiming for around 30% would be sensible, so maybe cutting down on the >40% days would get you there.

« Reply #1597 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:00:22 pm »
Thanks simonp. Noted.

The type of fat I'm consuming is certainly changing - lots of nuts and avocados and what-not provide a good proportion. All I'm doing at the moment is 1) recording everything which helps with 2) cutting out the crap and 3) staying within a limit.  

My problem is bad eating habits. Today was a typical work day:

0730 or so:
250 ml of Innocent fruit smoothie and a cup of tea.

Yes, I know that is not much of a breakfast but I really don't feel like much in the morning. Sometimes I'll have a bircher muesli or similar concoction. So that's < 200 Cal so far

Mid-morning:
Banana x1 (or nothing, depending on banana stocks).

Lunch (anytime between 12 and 14:00):
Crayfish salad and a yoghurt (~ 450 Cal or thereabouts)

Afternoon:
2 glasses of water.

Home from work 20:00(can be anytime between 17:30 and 20:30):

And this is my problem: today I was back from work about 20:00. I have eaten the above. I've used 500 Cal odd on my commute. My intake limit is 1920, not considering the exercise. So far, I've eaten 756 Cal. I'm not that hungry, but I just cannot be arsed cooking. I have lots of cookables but I just want to chill for a bit.

Come 22:00 or 22:30, I'll be hungry. I'll not eat complete crap, but I might make do with a massive bowl of Special K with added cranberries, maybe some almonds, and maybe a banana. This is the time when I'll also shove some chocolate in my face, if I've not been careful to avoid buying any.

I need to complete rearrange the whole eating thing.

« Reply #1598 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:11:02 pm »
SP, your diet sounds positively heath-farm like compared to mine  :o

Today I ate 1 bowl of porridge with honey in it, 3 bags of Walkers crisps, 2 slices of white toast with butter all over it, 1 Fry's chocolate Cream bar, 1 banana, 1 small bunch of grapes, a great chunk of apricot and white stilton cheese, 1 Cadburys Cream egg, 1 home made Asparagus and Bacon Linguini with Creme fraiche and parmesan in it, 1 microwaved asda chocolate pudding with chocolate sauce, and I haven't even finished yet  :demon:

« Reply #1599 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:18:39 pm »
I dare say if I was doing the miles that you are putting in I'd be needing a lot more.

As it is, I'm not really even that hungry. I think I'll take advantage of the deficit and have some scrambled eggs and toast.