Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300445 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1600 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:36:48 pm »
It seems sprinting is better for absolute fat burning than endurance training, might give it a go if I can be arsed!

Ultimate Bootcamp Blog: What is the best fat burning exercise - Running or Sprinting?

simonp

« Reply #1601 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:44:03 pm »
I'd say yes but watch you don't over do it.

I think there is a thread about HIIT elsewhere.

« Reply #1602 on: 11 May, 2011, 08:47:09 am »
- my worst enemy with all this is bad eating habits: getting too hungry too late in the day to get stuck into cooking properly hence a temptation to eat relative crap.

Easily done, especially if no decent lunch options are available. If you do cook, try doing what I do - make a large quantity of "main course! (it often works better than small batches anyway) and freeze. Then all that is needed is to get it out in the morning to defrost, and prep and add veg when you cook.  I do this with stews, goulash, variations of chicken (usually thighs cos they're cheaper, tastier and moister than breast) in sauce (with leek, or tarragon, au vin etc. all "one pan" cooked) as well as the usual mince based stuff. And what works on my case is cutting out / severely reducing carb intake (potatoes!) - so last night was chicken & tarragon in white wine & cream sauce with button mushroom (only 1 thigh in the portion) with brocolli, asparagus and 2 small jersey royals.Tasty, filling and reasonable healthy. 

I've also made a point of getting up early enough to have a breakfast - shredded wheat, sulatanas, bananas, sliced peaches (the typ bouth in juice), strawberries and a spoonful of youghurt (we make our own in a vacuum flask).  I also take a lunch to work - but it's reduced to a single sandwich made from a small loaf, with plentiful filling (no mayo though) and a couple of bananas. And I resist the snack van / chocolate machine. Easier in my new job as there is no van, and the choc machine is upstairs. I also don't take change (for the machine) to work with me.

I've also cut out virtually all chocolate at home (the occasional couple of chocolate digestives excepted), crisps totally, most cake (we're not great cake eaters anyway).

So far, a slow reduction in weight, but hopefully sustainable!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1603 on: 11 May, 2011, 09:10:36 am »
mumblefatmumblelazymumblebastardmumble  >:(

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1604 on: 11 May, 2011, 09:26:09 am »
I need a belt or braces for all my trousers. :o Something is occurring but I don't know whatorwhy 'cause I'm not weight watching ???
I iz  :smug: bastard

however

I'm still the thick end of 20kg heavier than I used to be & measure speed uphills in minutes per metre ::-)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1605 on: 11 May, 2011, 10:12:22 am »
I need a belt or braces for all my trousers. :o Something is occurring but I don't know whatorwhy 'cause I'm not weight watching ???
I iz  :smug: bastard

however

I'm still the thick end of 20kg heavier than I used to be & measure speed uphills in minutes per metre ::-)

Burn the witch!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:(

:P
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #1606 on: 11 May, 2011, 08:16:36 pm »
Back from work - similar sort of day, I've consumed 976 calories so far. If I include 500 Cal for my commute* that means there is nearly 1500 Cal remaining to my target. I feel a chicken caesar salad coming on.

*I'm not sure if I am going to continue to factor in this short commute (60 mins approx - average usually just under 14 mph). It's very stop / start and flat. I get to hammer it a bit on the way home once in a while but mostly it's a steady ride with a lot of breathers at lights.

try doing what I do - make a large quantity

Good point. I need to get back into that again.

Lots of good advice there, thanks rafletcher.

That's another thing I need do - re-start the packed lunches.

« Reply #1607 on: 11 May, 2011, 08:24:31 pm »
the occasional couple of chocolate digestives excepted

I can't have a couple of chocolate digos: it's the entire packet or none at all  ::-)

« Reply #1608 on: 11 May, 2011, 11:26:24 pm »
I think you should eat more earlier in the day, so you don't get so hungry at night.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #1609 on: 11 May, 2011, 11:56:28 pm »
I'll have to see if I can discover anything that might appeal and only takes minutes to make. Porridge is good but I Can only occasionally BA. Greek yoghurt + bit of granola + fresh fruit is the sort of thing I could handle.

I think part of the reason that I'm even worse than usual with breakfast is that since I started monitoring my intake I've been "saving" for later in the day to ensure that I've a good margin. Now that my mental calorie content database is coming along, I can stop doing that.

« Reply #1610 on: 12 May, 2011, 10:48:54 am »
the occasional couple of chocolate digestives excepted

I can't have a couple of chocolate digos: it's the entire packet or none at all  ::-)

My downfall is with alcohol - I can not do it, or do it, but never "in moderation".  I just can't do one or two glasses, it's a minimum of 3/4 of a bottle once I start, and usually more - so I restrict myself to fri/sat evenings for drinking. Usually.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1611 on: 12 May, 2011, 11:55:33 am »
I can't do willpower either. The answer is simple; don't buy that stuff. I don't have nice ice cream, crisps/nuts, spirits, posh biscuits, etc in the house. That way, I am not tempted to nom them. I restrict myself to 4 beers a week, and only buy 4. When they are gone, they are gone.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1612 on: 12 May, 2011, 12:26:58 pm »
I can't do willpower either.

neither can I

nice ice cream, crisps/nuts, spirits, posh biscuits,

all availble chez jogler's

a dangerous combination

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1613 on: 12 May, 2011, 12:28:12 pm »
a dangerous combination

You're not supposed to eat them all at once!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Si_Co

« Reply #1614 on: 12 May, 2011, 12:29:10 pm »
I don't have nice ice cream, crisps/nuts, spirits, posh biscuits, etc in the house.

neither do we, 20 mins after the mrs gets in with the shopping  :demon:

citoyen

« Reply #1615 on: 12 May, 2011, 12:37:08 pm »
I can resist picking up things I shouldn't eat from the supermarket, but my wife has recently discovered her passion for baking, which means lately she's been sending lots of pastry my way...

It's not so much not being able to resist as not being allowed to.  :-\

d.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1616 on: 12 May, 2011, 12:39:04 pm »

I don't have nice ice cream, crisps/nuts, spirits, posh biscuits, etc in the house.

neither do we, 20 mins after the mrs gets in with the shopping  :demon:

neither do we 20 mins after my son & his family arrive ;)
 ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1617 on: 12 May, 2011, 12:40:49 pm »

It's not so much not being able to resist as not being allowed to:-\

d.

yeah....right ::-)
I bet that arm twisting really hurts ;D

Si_Co

« Reply #1618 on: 12 May, 2011, 12:42:29 pm »
 ;D

We're only thinking of you, it's for your own good after all  ;)

citoyen

« Reply #1619 on: 12 May, 2011, 12:45:07 pm »
I bet that arm twisting really hurts ;D

I think she's playing mind games with me.

d.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1620 on: 12 May, 2011, 12:48:08 pm »
 ;D

We're only thinking of you, it's for your own good after all  ;)

I completely understand your motives & fully appreciate your sacrifices...

after all what?

« Reply #1621 on: 16 May, 2011, 10:56:05 am »
Right, time to start properly for PBP otherwise it's going to be harder work than necessary.

Fitness needs improving and I could do with losing 6kg.

PBP is over 12 weeks away so I need to maintain ~0.5kg a week weight loss, that's ~500kcal a day deficit.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

« Reply #1622 on: 16 May, 2011, 11:28:55 am »
I'm a whole 1kg lighter after the Invicta 400.  :thumbsup:

Wonder how long the weight will stay off...  :-\

d.

« Reply #1623 on: 16 May, 2011, 11:41:41 am »
It's quite difficult to have a low calorie breakfast. F'rinstance, 2 oatibix + SS milk + a few toasted almonds and a couple of dried apricots, preceded by 250 ml of fresh orange juice, is over 500 Cal.

simonp

« Reply #1624 on: 16 May, 2011, 11:45:50 am »
It's quite difficult to have a low calorie breakfast. F'rinstance, 2 oatibix + SS milk + a few toasted almonds and a couple of dried apricots, preceded by 250 ml of fresh orange juice, is over 500 Cal.

Out of a calorie budget of around 2000 that is not a problem.  Eating a good breakfast is not a bad idea.