Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300725 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1625 on: 16 May, 2011, 11:49:34 am »
If I don't eat breakfast then I tend to eat a bigger lunch ending up in me consuming more calories than if I'd had breakfast and a smaller lunch.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1626 on: 16 May, 2011, 12:08:16 pm »
I agree. I don't think 500 cals is anything like too much for breakfast.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1627 on: 16 May, 2011, 12:23:47 pm »
300kcal for 3 weetabix and semi-skimmed milk.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1628 on: 16 May, 2011, 12:38:31 pm »
My standard breakfast is two granary toast sandwiches (ie four slices of bread), with unsalted butter, marmalade and Whole Earth* crunchy peanut butter. I've calculated it at just short of 700kcal but that might be an overestimate.

It keeps me going until lunchtime.

d.

*The peanut butter brand is significant because it has no added sugar.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1629 on: 16 May, 2011, 12:52:12 pm »
I guess it just seems a lot to me as for the first spell of this calorie-monitoring I was mostly skipping breakfast. I'll just have to reconfigure my habits. What I'd really like is a boiled egg on toast some mornings but I'll have to adjust my timings.

Speaking of toast: I bought a loaf of WeightWatchers bread last week. Awful stuff, insubstantial and tasteless. I found myself being quite furtive with it at the till. Thankfully I won't be buying it again.

« Reply #1630 on: 16 May, 2011, 12:57:38 pm »
My breakfast is 100g (~370kcal) of oats plus 300ml of sweetened soya milk (~125kcal), so nearly dead on 500kcal. It keeps me feeling nicely full until lunch. I eat that at least 3x a day (breakfast, post commute home snack, dessert). It gets me about 60g of protein, so about half what I supposedly need, along with a big dose of carbs.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1631 on: 16 May, 2011, 01:16:38 pm »
It's quite difficult to have a low calorie breakfast. F'rinstance, 2 oatibix + SS milk + a few toasted almonds and a couple of dried apricots, preceded by 250 ml of fresh orange juice, is over 500 Cal.

250ml orange juice = 125 kcal.
Think about this.

« Reply #1632 on: 16 May, 2011, 01:35:10 pm »
Think about this.

True, but I have to have my OJ in the morning. I'm being quite good keeping it to 250 ml - my usual would be 350.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1633 on: 16 May, 2011, 01:42:32 pm »
Think about this.

True, but I have to have my OJ in the morning. I'm being quite good keeping it to 250 ml - my usual would be 350.

Fair enough. I also love my morning orange juice and don't like to miss it. I limit it to one 'Nutella'  glass though (200ml). Some people drink  much energy without being conscious of the Calorie content. I posted more as a warning to them.

« Reply #1634 on: 16 May, 2011, 01:57:32 pm »
PBP is over 12 weeks away so I need to maintain ~0.5kg a week weight loss, that's ~500kcal a day deficit.

GB, out of interest, do you account for the calories used during your commute or do you ignore that?

84.8 kg today, another kg or so off. Again, losing possibly a little faster than ideal but I am sure it'll slow down now.

« Reply #1635 on: 16 May, 2011, 02:08:55 pm »
My fairly standard breakfast is two slices of warburton's seeded batch, 3 thin rashers of bacon and a fried egg, a waffle with honey, 300ml of orange juice, and sometimes also 30g of raisins and a banana.  I don't know what that is in kcal, but it's about 140g of carbs (I only carb-count as I'm diabetic).
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #1636 on: 16 May, 2011, 05:35:18 pm »
Wow my weight has dropped to 56.2kg (over 1 kg) 24 hours after finishing a 400!
I wonder if this will go back up again over the next few days. I had been managing to maintain a fairly stable weight since reaching a bit under my initial target. If I get to 54kg I will be the same as I was aged 18  :o

« Reply #1637 on: 16 May, 2011, 06:00:13 pm »
For breakfast,I now eat two weetabix with nat yogurt,sweetened with real fruit.I am getting pretty bored with it now though.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1638 on: 16 May, 2011, 07:02:56 pm »
3½ lbs off last week - which means I've lost the 2½lbs I put on whilst gorging myself on holiday.  Only another 1lb and I'll be 3 stone lighter than I was in the middle of January.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

simonp

« Reply #1639 on: 16 May, 2011, 07:23:05 pm »
I wonder if this will go back up again over the next few days. I had been managing to maintain a fairly stable weight since reaching a bit under my initial target. If I get to 54kg I will be the same as I was aged 18  :o

I weighed myself earlier - 70.5kg.  When I was 18 I, too, was 54kg…

The body fat scales said 14% fat.  This is unlike post-Elenith where they claimed 7.5%.  Legs full of water no doubt after that.

They have a metric called “metabolic age”.  Sounds like bollocks, but the number it gave was 20.  I think that’s the lowest I’ve seen.

« Reply #1640 on: 16 May, 2011, 07:27:01 pm »

The body fat scales said 14% fat.  This is unlike post-Elenith where they claimed 7.5%.  Legs full of water no doubt after that.

They have a metric called “metabolic age”.  Sounds like bollocks, but the number it gave was 20.  I think that’s the lowest I’ve seen.

Any idea what my body fat would be likely to be given I'm 5'8" female and 40?
I suspect I might be considered clinically underweight now but IMO I'm not it's just the shape I was born to be really.

simonp

« Reply #1641 on: 16 May, 2011, 07:40:40 pm »

Any idea what my body fat would be likely to be given I'm 5'8" female and 40?
I suspect I might be considered clinically underweight now but IMO I'm not it's just the shape I was born to be really.

I don’t know what your body fat would be.  On the low side, at a guess, since you’re active.

I get a BMI of 18.1 from those numbers; that’s underweight, though I have no idea how significant that is.  I don’t think putting on a bit of weight would hurt.  Generally as people age the ideal amount of body fat increases a bit too.

« Reply #1642 on: 16 May, 2011, 07:54:06 pm »
Ah thanks. TBH I couldn't eat more than I currently am if I tried  ;D

« Reply #1643 on: 16 May, 2011, 07:55:57 pm »
3½ lbs off last week - which means I've lost the 2½lbs I put on whilst gorging myself on holiday.  Only another 1lb and I'll be 3 stone lighter than I was in the middle of January.  :thumbsup:

that's awsome work Reg, congrats!!

« Reply #1644 on: 16 May, 2011, 09:15:18 pm »
3 stone, that's good going  :)

I re-checked my weight late in the day, after removing my belt and pocket change this time (and a visit to the khazi) - 84.2 kg. I checked it on the other scales too and got the same (these are calibrated scales at work) from 90.9.

I think I might re-set my target to 82 kg. That'll bring me back to the weight I was at in my 20s.

red marley

« Reply #1645 on: 17 May, 2011, 06:07:44 pm »
After my somewhat demanding experience of the Brian Chapman over the weekend, I've managed to lose 3.5kg in two days. If only there was a way of keeping it there over the next week or so.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1646 on: 17 May, 2011, 06:29:41 pm »
After my somewhat demanding experience of the Brian Chapman over the weekend, I've managed to lose 3.5kg in two days. If only there was a way of keeping it there over the next week or so.

Yebbut what you've lost over the BCM is not mostly fat; it's water, glycogen, muscle protein and a little fat. You need these to power your bicycle.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1647 on: 17 May, 2011, 06:44:24 pm »
Just read jo's BCM report. It reinforces my sentiment that these losses aren't fat. You don't really want to ail like that on a ride again. (Well, speaking for myself, I certainly would not!)
You want to be well enough to feed and keep up up with at least some of your nutritional requirements; well done on completing BCM! I hope you are fitter on PBP though.

red marley

« Reply #1648 on: 17 May, 2011, 08:19:52 pm »
Thanks. Yes I do realise that 3.5 kgs of fat cannot magically disappear over a weekend. I will be doing my best to ensure that nothing like that ever happens again. I was surprised though at how a body under stress can still deliver the goods when it has to.

« Reply #1649 on: 17 May, 2011, 08:27:59 pm »
Thanks. Yes I do realise that 3.5 kgs of fat cannot magically disappear over a weekend. I will be doing my best to ensure that nothing like that ever happens again. I was surprised though at how a body under stress can still deliver the goods when it has to.

You probably sent your body into survival mode where it knew it had to get you the hell out of there if you were to live to ride another day  ;D