Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300626 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1775 on: 22 June, 2011, 08:43:36 pm »
Ahh oops. 55.8kg.
Maybe I'm dehydrated  O:-)

« Reply #1776 on: 23 June, 2011, 03:34:28 pm »
Have now managed to get down to 90kg :thumbsup:Its making a big difference to my cycling and I've treated myself to some new bib shorts as a reward.The main thing I have done is switched from processed food to self prepared.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1777 on: 23 June, 2011, 04:53:34 pm »
Congrats Jacob :thumbsup:
90kg is my next target.I got there a couple of weeks ago but it's crept back up to 91.5 atm..
It's the advantage of having a better half who is a Kitchen Godess :thumbsup:

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1778 on: 23 June, 2011, 05:01:24 pm »
I’m pretty much back to exactly the same weight I was back when I started training for the 2007 Etape (i.e. far too bloody fat).

Less cycling and poor diet/drinking control has meant that I’m finally back to where I started some years back.

Oh dear.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1779 on: 25 June, 2011, 12:28:58 pm »
next week will be interesting. eight days of eating and drinking non stop and no cycling could alter my weight to post-xmas levels. any tips how to stay decent food-wise during all-inclusive holiday?..

« Reply #1780 on: 25 June, 2011, 03:31:32 pm »
I am trying to lose weight as I currently weigh 108kg. This takes a lot of hauling around on a bike and tends to make me Lantern Rouge on 600's. I am now working out every day on the turbo trainer following a very specific programme. Unfortunately, when I finish on the turbo and start to make dinner, I feel so well I cant help opening a bottle of wine. Unfortunately the trap is, once I have opened the bottle I tend to prefer finishing it. The calories from the wine about wipes out the calories lost on the turbo.
Fortunately, my cellar is now about empty of every day wine so I will have to go without. I am looking forward to losing the weight. I dont want to take it to Paris.
O'LEL what have I done!

« Reply #1781 on: 25 June, 2011, 03:55:44 pm »
next week will be interesting. eight days of eating and drinking non stop and no cycling could alter my weight to post-xmas levels. any tips how to stay decent food-wise during all-inclusive holiday?..

Mindless Eating

His book is amazing - I say that as a researcher on health habits, with papers on deitary behaviour. However, he's so accessible and practical, my secretaries are reading it. My hunch is he'd say something like

Stick to low calorie density foods
Avoid too much variety in the same meal (plan your meals)
Don't graze (stick to regular mealtimes)
Use the smallest plates they have

Still, it's going to be a tough environment to eat mindfully in. Knowing that is half the battle - consider what you are putting on your plate, and be content not to try everything.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1782 on: 25 June, 2011, 03:57:25 pm »

Accept you will not lose weight and try not to gain too much. Some gain is inevitable but temporary if you do not pig out totally.

Adopt the strategy of HM Queen Elizabeth: sample everything you fancy in small quantities and LEAVE THE REST!

Do not eat anything you do not enjoy. Do not be scared of leaving food; almost everyone does after a few days' pigging. Just leave food from day one. Never eat when you're full; it's not pleasurable anyway.

Drink modestly: one or two glasses of wine per meal.

Enjoy your food, not feeling stuffed!

PS You will enjoy your food much more if you do something to work up an appetite before you eat...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1783 on: 26 June, 2011, 02:11:55 pm »
excellent advice hellymedic and DrMekon!! i'll try to find willpower to stick to some of them and hopefully do some excercise - jogging, swimming, hiking etc. i'll update how i got on.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1784 on: 26 June, 2011, 02:37:51 pm »
Remember, the weight you gain when you 'break your diet' is mostly not fat; it's 'fluid' and glycogen. It's the same stuff that peeled off very quickly when you started dieting. It's 'easy come, easy go' weight. So long as you don't get disheartened and resume unhealthy (over) eating habits on your return, you will not have gained more than a pound or two of actual fat on your holiday.
If you are really strong-willed, I'd suggest you do not weigh yourself until about ten days after your return, by which time you should be eating sensibly again., and should have shed most of the temporary holiday gain.
This is much easier said than done...

« Reply #1785 on: 30 June, 2011, 05:05:29 pm »
81.1 kg. Suspect that is as light as my body wants to be.

80.8 kg. That's a relief as I thought I was gaining a bit and I've been a bit slack on the chocolate consumption front. However, I'm still counting everything.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1786 on: 05 July, 2011, 04:26:26 pm »

indeed.. came back 5.2kg heavier after 8 days. never weighed so much in my life! ;D well, july will be a tough month

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1787 on: 05 July, 2011, 05:51:02 pm »

indeed.. came back 5.2kg heavier after 8 days. never weighed so much in my life! ;D well, july will be a tough month
If you are halfway sensible, you'll lose 4kg within the next fortnight.
Good Luck!

« Reply #1788 on: 05 July, 2011, 11:03:43 pm »

When you tire of endurance riding, a career in endurance eating awaits!  :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1789 on: 07 July, 2011, 11:53:10 am »
I've reached a plateau (roughly the same weight the last month and a bit), but still 4kg above where I wanted to be by August.  As this was initially a PBP oriented target and I'm no longer doing PBP, I shouldn't be too concerned, but I'd still like to get to my target.  Perhaps I can do it by the end of August.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #1790 on: 07 July, 2011, 11:56:14 am »
I am back to 71.8kg this week.  That bloody pizza on Tuesday was a mistake.  :P

Body fat slightly down though.  So it's not all bad.  14.8% body fat isn't too bad for a 39yo.

« Reply #1791 on: 07 July, 2011, 12:06:04 pm »
LOL!  My mate, another skating instructor, has been putting on weight recently.  Why?  He goes to Dominos and gets BOGOF pizza plus a pudding and eats the lot.  Oh, and eats a Waitrose NYC cheesecake.  A whole one.  I thought I was being a bit of a pig by eating a third of one per sitting once or twice a day.  Still, we burn off a lot of calories.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #1792 on: 07 July, 2011, 04:01:47 pm »
I've lost a lot of weight over the last few months.104kg down to 87.5kg,which is good of course,but over the last couple of weeks or so,have hit the bonk twice and have felt a bit tired.Is it possible that weight loss can weaken us?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1793 on: 07 July, 2011, 04:16:57 pm »
I've lost a lot of weight over the last few months.104kg down to 87.5kg,which is good of course,but over the last couple of weeks or so,have hit the bonk twice and have felt a bit tired.Is it possible that weight loss can weaken us?

If you are losing weight, you will have fewer 'rapid access' energy reserves. You may hit the bonk more easily.. Your weight loss is impressive, well done! Rapid access reserves include glycogen and recently-eaten fat.

To avoid the bonk, either exercise less intensely or 'carb up' before prolongued exertion. If you do the latter, you can expect a substantial weight gain, because glycogen attracts water.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1794 on: 13 July, 2011, 11:52:51 am »
So I've just posted my lightest weight for a long time - 94.2kg.  It's just over 3kg below my starting weight this year, which isn't great, but it is below my first target (which was also my target last year).

It's a bit of a surprise, given that we didn't do much riding on Sunday, I've been a bit crap with eating this week, and had two curries yesterday :-\

But I hope it's a sign of progress.  It puts me a secure 20kg below when I started cycling.
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1795 on: 13 July, 2011, 12:00:42 pm »
As usual I did well in the spring and badly in the summer.

New target is 82kg for PBP in late August, currently 83.8 should be doable

« Reply #1796 on: 13 July, 2011, 01:48:09 pm »
I've finally cracked the 80 kg barrier (79.5 kg).

Interestingly, that has happened despite increasing my calorie intake allowance by changing my baseline activity level - limit is now a fairly generous 2100 Cal / day. The addition of a short run 3 x per week has done it, I think.

« Reply #1797 on: 13 July, 2011, 01:52:59 pm »
With the training "Preparing for an event" I am doing at the moment my weight is oscillating around 110kg which is 10kg more than I want to be.
O'LEL what have I done!

« Reply #1798 on: 13 July, 2011, 02:05:46 pm »
My weight seems to have stabilised, hovering around the 56kg mark. I will try to keep it there until PBP I think.

« Reply #1799 on: 16 July, 2011, 06:51:25 pm »
Weighed myself yesterday, first time since boxing day when I spun the scales round to an embarrassing 18 stone 2 pounds. Yesterday fully clothed with shoes, jeans etc I weighed in at 15 stone 7 pounds (Not sure what that is in mickey mouse metric) which is still obese  :-\

Fairly happy with that, although I must admit I didn't think I'd lost quite as much as that as most of my clothes still seem to fit  ???

Ideally I'd like to reach 13 stone but I've never been that light even when I was quite fit/active and eating a reasonable diet, I might be able to get there but it's the maintaining it that I don't think I'll manage. Next goal is 14 stone.