Author Topic: things i don't understand  (Read 24268 times)

Re: things i don't understand
« Reply #175 on: 02 July, 2019, 04:46:02 pm »
Toolboxes, the metal kind with slide out draws. Why are they so expensive? They are right up there with lampshades as things who's price is astronomical compared to what any sane person would think they should be. A Snap-On one is thousands and even a Sealy or Halfords one is £300+. They are just thin pressed steel sheet and some draw sliders for heaven sake.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #176 on: 02 July, 2019, 05:09:45 pm »
Surely the pertinent question is, how come we've all grown to expect to be able to buy things for flumpence ha'penny? Or, at least, for less than the cost of the raw materials in the UK.

The price range is massive, the more expensive ones are easily understood from the perspective operations needed to create one. I suspect they are low volume items rather than mass market, and if made from 14 gauge or similar would be time consuming.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #177 on: 02 July, 2019, 05:40:29 pm »
why you would design a car to need the body taking off and engine out to change the timing belt?

Landrover Disco 3, Range Rover Sport - I'd taken my car to get a quote for scraping and waterproofing the underside. The guy told me £4700 to change the timing belt on a RR Sport, they're practically worthless.  Mine on the other hand, he was quite complimentary about.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #178 on: 02 July, 2019, 08:13:52 pm »
Why isn't there some sort of pocket clip on the Apple Pencil?

It asking to get lost/misplaced.

Maybe Apple like it that way...

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #179 on: 02 July, 2019, 08:27:40 pm »
I have never actually ever used one of those clips.

I lose a lot of pens though  :-D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

ian

« Reply #180 on: 02 July, 2019, 08:28:28 pm »
So you can buy a clip, of course. Accessorization is, after all, next to godliness. Well, it gets you the opportunity to photobomb a selfie of the Divine Eminence.

I have a notepad that turns my doodles and scribbles into pictures, but that uses some brand of pen that you can pick up in any stationery shop for a couple of pounds (and it works on normal paper).

« Reply #181 on: 03 July, 2019, 07:09:13 am »
why you would design a car to need the body taking off and engine out to change the timing belt?

Presumably it's just traditional car manufacturing - you suspend a random part in the air, then build the rest of the car around it. Here it's the timing belt, for the Citroën DS it was the parking brake pads ...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #182 on: 03 July, 2019, 07:21:58 am »

Landrover Disco 3, Range Rover Sport - I'd taken my car to get a quote for scraping and waterproofing the underside. The guy told me £4700 to change the timing belt on a RR Sport, they're practically worthless.  Mine on the other hand, he was quite complimentary about.

Sounds like the Dyane we had in the early 70s. The instructions for adjusting the tappets began "while it is possible to adjust the tappets without removing the mudguards...".  What they meant was practically impossible without. They were held by 16 screws, and you had to disconnect the headlamp adjustment cable & power cables first.  Setting the points meant taking the front bumper off & removing the fan with a drift.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #183 on: 03 July, 2019, 07:45:41 am »

Presumably it's just traditional car manufacturing - you suspend a random part in the air, then build the rest of the car around it. Here it's the timing belt, for the Citroën DS it was the parking brake pads ...
There was a viral ad thing a few years ago for the Triumph Speed Triple ( I think) about how it was made.
Scene: Close up of hand holding a small cube
"First we start with this - the centre of gravity"
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ElyDave

« Reply #184 on: 03 July, 2019, 07:53:49 am »

Sounds like the Dyane we had in the early 70s. The instructions for adjusting the tappets began "while it is possible to adjust the tappets without removing the mudguards...".  What they meant was practically impossible without. They were held by 16 screws, and you had to disconnect the headlamp adjustment cable & power cables first.  Setting the points meant taking the front bumper off & removing the fan with a drift.

Yebbut, if that was anything like the 2CV, you could take it apart and rebuild with not much more than a 19mm socket and screwdrivers.

The A-series engine on my metro was dead easy to work on, as long as you had articulating arms to get into the spaces

ElyDave

« Reply #185 on: 03 July, 2019, 07:55:38 am »

There was a viral ad thing a few years ago for the Triumph Speed Triple ( I think) about how it was made.

I'm not convinced that's the prime concern of a RR Sport

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #186 on: 03 July, 2019, 08:09:16 am »

Yebbut, if that was anything like the 2CV, you could take it apart and rebuild with not much more than a 19mm socket and screwdrivers.

The A-series engine on my metro was dead easy to work on, as long as you had articulating arms to get into the spaces
Ah, the delights of A-series engine maintenance. Who can forget giving up on trying to install that stupid little rubber hose while the cylinder head was still on.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

fuzzy

« Reply #187 on: 03 July, 2019, 08:47:20 am »
Whereas, with my Triumph Spitfire (Achtung! to his friends), accessing everything was easy. Undo two bonnet clips, lift bonnet, park arse on wheel and beaver away.

All cars should be made this way.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #188 on: 03 July, 2019, 08:55:00 am »

I always look for that in all my bikes. Then at the bottom of a big hill, I take it out, stow it under a hedge and pick it up on the way back. What's more difficult is removing my own centre of gravity...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #189 on: 03 July, 2019, 12:02:48 pm »

I always look for that in all my bikes. Then at the bottom of a big hill, I take it out, stow it under a hedge and pick it up on the way back. What's more difficult is removing my own centre of gravity...

That seems unwise.  If some scrote runs off with it, your bike will float away as soon as you stop riding it.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #190 on: 03 July, 2019, 12:14:07 pm »
My party trick is to take my own out and float around like a helium balloon.  ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #191 on: 03 July, 2019, 04:56:40 pm »
I don't think you guys are in Kansas any more.

« Reply #192 on: 03 July, 2019, 08:51:10 pm »

Close, but no banananana - https://youtu.be/T2QFxoDHU9o
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #193 on: 03 July, 2019, 10:29:34 pm »
I don't think you guys are in Kansas any more.
Are we in Seattle?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #194 on: 04 July, 2019, 08:51:46 am »
Insomnia?

fuzzy

« Reply #195 on: 04 July, 2019, 09:21:09 am »
Women :-\

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #196 on: 04 July, 2019, 09:22:16 am »
Insomnia?
Seattle = the Emerald City. I'm not sure why.

ian

« Reply #197 on: 04 July, 2019, 09:27:22 am »
Insomnia?

Presumably, because the area is rather green (or was before they concreted over), being (originally) temperate rainforest.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #198 on: 04 July, 2019, 09:48:32 am »
Insomnia?

Ah. I did not know that.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #199 on: 04 July, 2019, 10:34:26 am »
I don't think it's anything to do with the Wizard of Oz though.