Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1628113 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #4275 on: 01 January, 2014, 10:57:01 am »
Fireworks at midnight?  Oh, alright then; it's a new thing and (other) people like new things, it's not very much worse than church bells and it is very nearly the end of what passes for Saturnalia these days and I'm not such a killjoy that I'd want to stop some harmless fun.  However; fireworks at intermittent intervals for the next hour or two afterwards?  No, that's _not_ on.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4276 on: 01 January, 2014, 11:10:48 am »
Well then you shouldn't pop over to Denmark for a new years trip, UK fireworks is very tame compared to DK. Starts a few weeks before goes on for a week or so after, think a war zone on the night. My folks just told me that they had to control the sale of fireworks, because of the mad use.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4277 on: 01 January, 2014, 12:05:00 pm »
Right can someone please kick the jet stream back into it's normal position? I'm getting sick and fed up of the continual stream of storms and would like to get some decent rides/hikes in. :(

According to the Mountain Weather Information service: -
Planning Outlook for all mountain areas from Thursday, 2nd January, 2014

Little change in the overall pattern for 10 days or so. Atlantic lows, sometimes intense, will continue to give bouts of severe upland gales or even storm force winds and total precipitation will be considerable, particularly on western mountains.

Wonderful! ::-)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4278 on: 04 January, 2014, 02:31:29 pm »
Retro: can we just get back from it now? Enough already! Stop! Let's go forwards!

Today as we were walking to a celebratory lunch, we pass a church that is holding a "retro fair". Then we get to the place and it calls itself "Art Deco lounge" - but its idea of deco is chipped enamel and school photos from the 70s. And the food wasn't that special either - but the portions were big. It's all well and good to appreciate the best of the past but sometimes I just want to be in the present.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4279 on: 04 January, 2014, 07:48:30 pm »
Tired? check
Unwell? check
Brain playing silly buggers with me? oh yuss...

I have no idea where I have put a) my Garmin 705 and b) a pair of PowerRace Phantom 2 glasses :(

Fingers crossed I have left them in Cambridge, if not then I am in for an expensive week :( :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4280 on: 04 January, 2014, 09:01:57 pm »
Went out to eat last night, the menu was pretty limiting with only 1 veggie main, or a salad. Only one meat eater in the party.

There was a beer that sounded interesting, but the menu didn't say what size, so I asked the waitress.

- It's like, um, a bottle.
- Yes, what size? 330 ml or 500 ml?
- Um, like a lager bottle. I could go and find out?

Beer arrives, it's 500ml. The glass is 330 ml. It's bottle conditioned.
- Be careful pouring, there's a sediment.  ::-)

The bottle says "Best Before (date in the past)"
- Sorry, but this beer is out of date
- No it's not, that's just best before, not sell by
- Really? So the beer's past its best? I'd really prefer a beer that wasn't!
- Sorry, I've just been told to say that, I'll take it off your bill.  :facepalm:

Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #4281 on: 05 January, 2014, 10:38:31 am »
Yesterdays tickly throat & occasional sneeze is all grown up now.      One nasal passage seems entirely blocked and the back of my throat is sore & inflamed  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Ruth

« Reply #4282 on: 05 January, 2014, 10:47:35 am »
Yesterdays tickly throat & occasional sneeze is all grown up now.      One nasal passage seems entirely blocked and the back of my throat is sore & inflamed  :(

You seem to have sent it down the Intertubes to me andrew.  Thanks a lot.   ;)

tiermat

« Reply #4283 on: 05 January, 2014, 10:54:52 am »
And to us! All three of us have come down with it :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4284 on: 05 January, 2014, 04:26:35 pm »
So, over the xmas period I bought 3 lights to replace some wall lights I don't like. 3 arrived, they have plaster shades and one of these was broken. Took it back last week. Collected the replacement and asked big bro if he would fit them for me.
So we duly take one of the old light down - I unwrap the first light to be installed only to find that the fitting itself has broken. Not that impressed so far.
Never mind, says I, let's press on with another and I'll take this one back to the shop on the way to the pubbeh later.
So looks at the next fitting, the Choc block for wiring it all up sits proud of the rear of the fitting by some way - meaning that to fit this would involve sawing a chunk out of the wall. There was no mention on the instructions which I read on the net before buying, of any need to be cutting chunks out of walls.
Having already had 2 out of 4 lights buggered before I've even done anything to them, I say sod this for a game of soldiers, put the old light back on the wall, go to the pub and I'll take the whole lot back on the way.
Sigh.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

tiermat

« Reply #4285 on: 05 January, 2014, 04:28:45 pm »
Tired? check
Unwell? check
Brain playing silly buggers with me? oh yuss...

I have no idea where I have put a) my Garmin 705 and b) a pair of PowerRace Phantom 2 glasses :(

Fingers crossed I have left them in Cambridge, if not then I am in for an expensive week :( :(

Now both found, I suspect the late MiL.

Ruth

« Reply #4286 on: 05 January, 2014, 04:38:18 pm »
Ran out of milk again  >:(

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4287 on: 05 January, 2014, 05:11:04 pm »
Been there, done that.
I took me 5-6 days to get over the worst of it1 (just before Christmas) although some of the residual snottiness still hasn't shifted (seems to be worse when I'm ragging it on the turbo or something similarly strenuous)

1 - YMMV, depending on the state of your immune system and proximity to other plague bearerssufferers

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4288 on: 06 January, 2014, 01:59:36 am »
I've got to go back to work today and I'm still awake. :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4289 on: 06 January, 2014, 02:03:58 am »
I've got to go back to work today and I'm still awake. :(

You and barakta.

She went to bed earleir, but as is frequently the case, she woke up hungry.  Now sat on the floor beside me eating porridge.

« Reply #4290 on: 06 January, 2014, 08:06:33 am »
I have had no sleep at all last night and have been trundling around slough on my electric buggy .first to the hospital which had a 4 hour wait to be seen so they sujested going trough the emergency gp .saw him around 04.30 but he was not able to do anything and the problem is keeping me awake  :(. so now I will try the daytime surgery  ::-). I hate being ill  :(
the slower you go the more you see

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4291 on: 06 January, 2014, 08:30:32 am »
I slept really badly; didn't get to sleep till after 3, tossed and turned all bloody night and am now up.  I would mind less but I really can't cope with sleep deprivation while taking amitriptyline, it just makes me stupid which I don't need today as I'm giving a lecture at 11am. 

« Reply #4292 on: 06 January, 2014, 08:42:11 am »
Hope you feel better soon barakta .lack of sleep is aweful  :'(

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4293 on: 06 January, 2014, 09:11:34 am »
I shall run on extra caffeine!

« Reply #4294 on: 06 January, 2014, 10:02:53 am »
Sent an email saying I was in sick , it went into the team leaders junk mail so he phoned up to see why I wasn't in work.  Woke me up  >:(

Throat still very sore and feeling pretty run down.     Tea and some chocolate truffles are making me feel more human,

« Reply #4295 on: 06 January, 2014, 06:59:55 pm »
Still up   :o :'( my plumbing is still keeping me awake but the doctor has giving me some antibiotics to try so I hope that tomorrow will be an improvement  ::-)

« Reply #4296 on: 06 January, 2014, 07:03:34 pm »
Hope you feel better soon, cycleman.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4297 on: 06 January, 2014, 08:10:33 pm »
This morning I was rudely awakened by tinnitus about 30 minutes before the alarm.

I then proceeded to have a massive sneezing fit.  I didn't really think anything of it, as I'm allergic to mornings, and the snot subsided once I got out of bed.

Then barakta got home from work, and I discovered that I'd lost my voice.

Pah!

« Reply #4298 on: 07 January, 2014, 01:32:12 pm »
Just had to go out for a bit.  Post office, train station, shop.

I fell like I've been walking all day and am sleepy.  Got rained on as well.

If I'm not better by the weekend the tickets I've just been to collect will be wasted  :(

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4299 on: 07 January, 2014, 04:49:20 pm »
Sky got the ability to put a nice little emblem on their website saying that it is the website of the year 2013. But can't tell me what my next bill is, due this month, can only tell me the last bill due the 27th of December 2013!
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit