Author Topic: Milan San-Remo 2012  (Read 10255 times)

plum

Re: Milan San-Remo 2012
« Reply #50 on: 18 March, 2012, 04:56:36 pm »
It's not biconditional:

Odds on implies favourite
Favourite does not imply odds on.

Except in [mainly] one on one contests like boxing or football. Or in the land of Flatus where apparently arithmetic works differently from the rest of the world.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #51 on: 18 March, 2012, 05:06:45 pm »
i don't understand all these numbers, but I still think he's a jolly good Trialist  (and rode jolly well in the Olympic Road Race - as I may have mentioned earlier)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #52 on: 18 March, 2012, 05:09:01 pm »
It's not biconditional:

Except in [mainly] one on one contests like boxing or football. Or in the land of Flatus where apparently arithmetic works differently from the rest of the world.

Funny that. I'm almost sure I haven't used the word favourite even once in this thread.

Don't let that stop you though...

« Reply #53 on: 18 March, 2012, 05:10:53 pm »
i don't understand all these numbers, but I still think he's a jolly good Trialist  (and rode jolly well in the Olympic Road Race - as I may have mentioned earlier)

Best in the world, mate, but that doesn't stop him being one of the top One Day Classic riders too  ;)

« Reply #54 on: 18 March, 2012, 05:14:08 pm »

Best in the world, mate, but that doesn't stop him being one of the top One Day Classic riders too  ;)

Isn't that because of the little engine he has in the bottom bracket?

« Reply #55 on: 18 March, 2012, 05:29:07 pm »
Cancellara's plans were known. http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/532084/cancellara-plans-to-upset-san-remo-sprint.html
Gerrans was there to police that break, so there was no reason for him to work. Cancellara has to avoid a bunch sprint to win, which he can often achieve.

plum

« Reply #56 on: 18 March, 2012, 05:47:42 pm »
It's not biconditional:

Funny that. I'm almost sure I haven't used the word favourite even once in this thread.

Don't let that stop you though...

Never said you did, I was replying to GruB's post. Carry on.

« Reply #57 on: 18 March, 2012, 06:43:56 pm »

Isn't that because of the little engine he has in the bottom bracket?

Now don't bring that into it. That would make him a favourite, and plum will bust a blood vessel.

« Reply #58 on: 18 March, 2012, 07:03:24 pm »
Bookmaker odds are not probability.
In probability, the odds add up to one, in bookmaker terms, they add up to (one plus tax plus profit).
So, for a bookmaker, there's no problem in having two runners both at odds on

« Reply #59 on: 18 March, 2012, 07:14:27 pm »
Errrr...before this descends any further, let's just remind ourselves that the preceding 3 pages are a result of plum's inability to differentiate between the literal and the figurative.  Note that even mattc recognises this and is eschewing the literal even though it would grant him a rare, albeit Phyrric, victory against arch enemy Flatus

;D

« Reply #60 on: 18 March, 2012, 07:24:35 pm »
Cripes.  I had to go to Wikipedia for that one.  Don't think I will ever get an opportunity to use it either.

« Reply #61 on: 18 March, 2012, 07:27:46 pm »
Try it out on the wife  ;D

Looking back, I think it might have been my bluntness and casual use of abusive language to mattc that incited plum. But then he doesn't know that I'm Australian.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #62 on: 18 March, 2012, 07:45:20 pm »
An appetite whetter - the 1992 finale. Kelly's last hurrah, toe-clips and all.  You may want to turn the sound off if you can't stand Duffers. 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mL3jQmkj3uI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/mL3jQmkj3uI&rel=1</a>
"Never ending gabba-yabba" says Little Cudzo.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #63 on: 18 March, 2012, 07:49:22 pm »
Errrr...before this descends any further, let's just remind ourselves that the preceding 3 pages are a result of plum's inability to differentiate between the literal and the figurative.  Note that even mattc recognises this and is eschewing the literal even though it would grant him a rare, albeit Phyrric, victory against arch enemy Flatus
It's not all about winning - it's how one plays the game.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #64 on: 18 March, 2012, 08:03:23 pm »

Not if you are a professional.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

plum

« Reply #65 on: 18 March, 2012, 08:20:50 pm »
Bookmaker odds are not probability.
In probability, the odds add up to one, in bookmaker terms, they add up to (one plus tax plus profit).
So, for a bookmaker, there's no problem in having two runners both at odds on
Which is why I said implies rather than equals.

Looking back, I think it might have been my bluntness and casual use of abusive language to mattc that incited plum.
It was, but I've never seen it as more than a harmless bit of trolling. It's a quiet Sunday and I've had to spend the day sitting doing some marking.

« Reply #66 on: 18 March, 2012, 08:24:43 pm »
This is why Australians really enjoy to win.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CHAKie2XiU0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/CHAKie2XiU0&rel=1</a>

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #67 on: 19 March, 2012, 08:25:27 am »

Not if you are a professional.
I sincerely hope you're not suggesting Flatus is professional.  :o
Has never ridden RAAM
---------