Off Topic > The Pub

Plastic straws

(1/7) > >>

Cudzoziemiec:
Plastic straws are to be banned from next April along with plastic ear buds and drinks stirrers as part of litter control. Except plastic straws will still be available to buy from pharmacies and restaurants and cafes will be allowed to provide them if asked for, because people with certain disabilities need them. Now, I can understand that some people might need straws but not why might need straws made of plastic as opposed to various alternatives. What's the reason? How are they different in use?

caerau:
AIUI - some disabled people cannot drink the drink quickly enough to prevent a paper straw dissolving (as they do slowly) - and they DO need a straw if they want a modicum of indpendence from a carer.

Plastic straw banning is pissing-in the wind in terms of environmental protection from plastic waste anyway.  It's symbolic and not much else.  My neighbour and good-friend (how do I tell her politely?) makes a big show of using paper-straws but is in the process of having her rear lawn replaced with plastic-grass because it doesn't look tidy enough for her  :facepalm:

We make unbelievable amounts of stuff from plastic and although this is laudable, it's a pin-drop in an ocean of plastic use.

Cudzoziemiec:

--- Quote from: caerau on 22 May, 2019, 01:16:20 pm ---AIUI - some disabled people cannot drink the drink quickly enough to prevent a paper straw dissolving (as they do slowly)

--- End quote ---
Ok, that makes sense, thanks. I suppose the corn starch ones dissolve more slowly than the paper but might also not last long enough.

Agree it's not going to make a difference in terms of overall plastic use, it's more to reduce litter, like with plastic bags. And symbolism of course.

rafletcher:

--- Quote from: caerau on 22 May, 2019, 01:16:20 pm ---AIUI - some disabled people cannot drink the drink quickly enough to prevent a paper straw dissolving (as they do slowly)

--- End quote ---

Your other points notwithstanding, I don't recall the waxed paper straws of my youth dissolving as such. They got a bit soggy if you chewed on them right enough.

hellymedic:
It is nigh-impossible to clean the inside of a straw properly, so disposable makes sense on hygiene grounds.

I don't think I used a straw in months but my life is regrettably not plastic-free.

This is symbolic pissing in the wind IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version