Author Topic: Wild Atlantic Way Audax 2020  (Read 32698 times)

whosatthewheel

Re: Wild Atlantic Way Audax 2020
« Reply #25 on: 11 February, 2019, 10:47:38 am »
Will be June or July next year.  This is the second running of the event.

To me it seems clear it is June... where did you read about July?

I can't do June, but I might be able to do July

« Reply #26 on: 11 February, 2019, 10:57:31 am »
Ambiguous statement on more than one page of the site:

Please note Information will be updated for the next event in June 2020

Information in June, or event in June?

Phil W

« Reply #27 on: 11 February, 2019, 12:20:48 pm »
Will be June or July next year.  This is the second running of the event.

To me it seems clear it is June... where did you read about July?

I can't do June, but I might be able to do July

Directly from the horses mouth.  There are a few details being worked on, the date is not fixed yet.  June seems likely but July has also been mentioned in conversations.  For now I would register your interest and the dates will be confirmed some time later this year.

« Reply #28 on: 11 February, 2019, 12:23:01 pm »
Ivan did the Transatlantic Way race on fixed, which is basically the opposite way north to south. He may have an opinion on gear choice.

Yes, I did TAW in 2017 on 74". It's my kind of terrain, continually varying gradient so you are always in the right gear! Lots of short punchy climbs that you can either power up, or with very little traffic, lots of opportunities to tack, and I walked a handful of climbs, but then Adrian added in some extra detours to the official WAW route to challenge us some more.

Going the other way, the wind was a killer and got blown off my bike a couple of times, so going South to North is very appealing. I've registered an interest for WAWA 2020, and would love to go back and do this - it's an amazing place to ride. Tempted by the 240km/day option though, 300 kpd means far fewer opportunties to visit pubs en route.

Here's my track: https://www.strava.com/activities/1048845920 and here's me on the Ballaghbeama Gap (again, not on the WAWA route unfortunately):

“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #29 on: 11 February, 2019, 12:26:38 pm »
I get a malware warning too!

Chrome on Windows 10

I don't, same setup.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Phil W

« Reply #30 on: 11 February, 2019, 12:41:59 pm »
Couple more pictures from 2016

Healy Pass

Cliffs of Moher

Phil W

« Reply #31 on: 11 February, 2019, 12:55:02 pm »
Plus to show it is not all sunshine and light winds! (annoying rattle was my GPS mount heading towards failure)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsIiSDS0FsM&feature=youtu.be

« Reply #32 on: 11 February, 2019, 04:23:14 pm »
Thanks Phil,

Hi all, just to confirm:

-  Event details are being worked on for the WAWA 2020.
-  We're currently gathering interest to assess capacity requirements.
-  The website is certainly malware free, so feel free to jump in and register your interest  ;D

https://www.wawaudax.com/contact.html

« Reply #33 on: 11 February, 2019, 04:28:44 pm »
I've got a wee bit of unfinished business with this one ...

Phil W

« Reply #34 on: 13 February, 2019, 06:18:22 pm »
I've got a wee bit of unfinished business with this one ...

Good man.

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #35 on: 13 February, 2019, 09:40:21 pm »
Interest expressed: wasn't ready last time, feel like I am now :thumbsup:

whosatthewheel

« Reply #36 on: 14 February, 2019, 08:12:05 am »
June is a problem for a number of people who can't take annual leave outside school holidays. C'mon guys... you know July is better... ;D

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #37 on: 14 February, 2019, 08:53:37 am »
June is a problem for a number of people who can't take annual leave outside school holidays. C'mon guys... you know July is better... ;D

And some of us have family commitments in the school holidays and prefer quieter roads in the tourist areas outside of peak holiday times.

What will be will be.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #38 on: 14 February, 2019, 10:03:06 am »

And some of us have family commitments in the school holidays and prefer quieter roads in the tourist areas outside of peak holiday times.

What will be will be.

second week of July works for both of us... deal?  ;D

Phil W

« Reply #39 on: 15 February, 2019, 10:30:22 am »
My write up ( a long one) of WAWA 2016 is here

https://hertsaudax.uk/the-call-of-the-wild-prologue/

whosatthewheel

« Reply #40 on: 15 February, 2019, 11:22:11 am »

Ooohh... you did it on an ElliptiGO... that explains...  :P I passed a guy on one of those this morning, never seen one before... he seemed to put a lot of effort but wasn't going very fast at all... is it just poor technique or they are really inefficient?
For comparison, I was on a 2 speed Brompton with a large bag at the front and was doing twice the speed for seemingly less effort

Phil W

« Reply #41 on: 15 February, 2019, 11:24:05 am »

Ooohh... you did it on an ElliptiGO... that explains...  :P I passed a guy on one of those this morning, never seen one before... he seemed to put a lot of effort but wasn't going very fast at all... is it just poor technique or they are really inefficient?
For comparison, I was on a 2 speed Brompton with a large bag at the front and was doing twice the speed for seemingly less effort
Nope I was on a road bike

whosatthewheel

« Reply #42 on: 15 February, 2019, 11:26:03 am »
Oh, I see, it's the other guy on the ElliptiGO

Phil W

« Reply #43 on: 15 February, 2019, 11:28:17 am »
Oh, I see, it's the other guy on the ElliptiGO

Yes, Stuart and Andy were both on Elliptigos.  Andy dropped out after 1200km with Achilles issues. I know Andy intends to be back next year, not sure about Stuart yet.

« Reply #44 on: 15 February, 2019, 02:48:34 pm »
Have expressed interest and as I won't be France bound this year it will give me something to work towards   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #45 on: 22 February, 2019, 05:05:15 pm »
I've put in an expression of interest. Given the rise of long-distance cycling, ultra-racing and Audax since the previous event, I'm interested to see how TransAtlantic Way and WAW will be attended. I'd much prefer the Audax version but given TAW is now an ITT, I wonder what people will choose.

Will there be a qualification process like PBP?

« Reply #46 on: 22 February, 2019, 05:26:25 pm »
Excited by this ride and have registered interest...... anyone else "worried" about Shermer's neck? It's a little niggle at the back of my mind....
I did start to get twinges on LEL.
Thoughts?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #47 on: 22 February, 2019, 05:40:24 pm »
Excited by this ride and have registered interest...... anyone else "worried" about Shermer's neck? It's a little niggle at the back of my mind....
I did start to get twinges on LEL.
Thoughts?

It's always a concern on rides that get this long. It's one of many things I'm worried about for this years TCR too. I'm not sure what the solution is, I'm going with lots of time in the saddle, different positions on the bars, and might talk to physio about neck exercises. But it's a worry!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #48 on: 22 February, 2019, 05:43:30 pm »
Dont wear a helmet or if you do ,dont add extra stuff like lights,camera etc. Take any head gear off as often as you can.

Phil W

« Reply #49 on: 02 September, 2019, 11:54:10 am »
I understand the dates are now

1. Thu 25th June - Sat 4th July   The Raid version: Average 240km a day.  Likely to be a case of making your own sleeping arrangements most days, and pass through a few of the shared sleeping / shelter controls with

2. Sat 25th June - Sat 4th July The original format in 2016:
Average 320km a day.  Overnight sleep / shelter controls provided each day.

I'm planning on option 1 this time round; for some more riding in daylight and more sleep / time off the bike. 

Distance wise Eamon is talking about 2100-2200km. It was 2110km last time.

Don't know plans for this time round, but last time we had bag drops at 600km and 1500km.

Entries will open in November I understand.

To get there: I did rail / sail (via Holyhead) last time which is rather a long travel time but works out pretty cheap.  Travelled up the day before with Stuart Blofeld (rode an Elliptigo).  We only reached the B&B in Kinsale about 11pm, and were back up at 4am for registration.  So if you are planning to do this from the south of England I'd travel over a couple of days before your start, so you don't begin sleep deprived. Travelling back got train to Belfast, then Dublin, then ferry etc.