Author Topic: Dorchester 3D 300  (Read 12529 times)

Re: Dorchester 3D 300
« Reply #25 on: 27 April, 2012, 09:03:18 am »
I see it goes through Topsham. The Bridge Hotel was once one of my favourite pubs of all time. Might have to stop and check if it is still as good.

I also have fond memeories of that pub for more noteworthy cause...............travelling from exeter to exmouth on my motorbike one winters evening and loosing the front wheel on a patch of ice and smashing into the far right hand wall of the bridge.............. that will teach me for not using the bicycle !!!! So shivers run up my spine as I pass through there.
Purely ride fixed

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #26 on: 27 April, 2012, 01:18:42 pm »
Bizarrely the weather looks like it might behave for you tomorrow

I am almost jealous  ;D

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #27 on: 27 April, 2012, 04:42:14 pm »
bon route you lot ....not wet enough tomorrow so I'm waiting for the biblical rain to hit the New Forest on Sunday  :thumbsup:
appearing in a tea room near you

AndyH

« Reply #28 on: 27 April, 2012, 11:05:38 pm »
Unfortunately I am otherwise engaged tomorrow, but Mr Loakes has 30 starters. I nipped down for a pint at the wise man, to find H buying beer from Cornwall.

Looks like a good field, I wish I was riding. Bonne route all.

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #29 on: 28 April, 2012, 12:13:13 am »
I see it goes through Topsham. The Bridge Hotel was once one of my favourite pubs of all time. Might have to stop and check if it is still as good.

This is a very fine pub and I don't think the route ventures too far from it.

Do you remember the landlord, Norman? He has sadly passed away but his duaghter runs it instead.

H
Nigel Cheffers-Herd runs it as far as I know. </pubpedant>

It's still one of the best pubs in the country and I'd happily ride a 300 round their car-park.
Powered by Minions

Chris S

« Reply #30 on: 28 April, 2012, 09:30:08 am »
Watching this morning's rainfall radar animation - I'm wondering if those who said it "wouldn't be wet enough" today might like to reassess their opinion  :demon:.

I've packed a canoe for tomorrow's ride in Essex/Suffolk.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #31 on: 28 April, 2012, 02:35:31 pm »
Watching this morning's rainfall radar animation - I'm wondering if those who said it "wouldn't be wet enough" today might like to reassess their opinion  :demon:.

I've packed a canoe for tomorrow's ride in Essex/Suffolk.

oops  :-[
appearing in a tea room near you

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Dorchester 3D 300
« Reply #32 on: 29 April, 2012, 01:38:46 am »
It was a very nice day, apart from the rain and the vicious mischievous wind. Finished at 9:27 - liked the view from Hardy Monument ...... Loved the climbs
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #33 on: 29 April, 2012, 03:16:33 am »
It was a very nice day, apart from the rain and the vicious mischievous wind. Finished at 9:27 - liked the view from Hardy Monument ...... Loved the climbs

We had a great view too - when we could stand up!  :o

Priddy seemed to be on fine form but conrgatulations are in order for Blazer and  Swarm_Catcher for their first Wessex 300  :thumbsup:

Many thanks too for the organiser - Pete Loakes and his merry band of helpers at the finish.

H

« Reply #34 on: 29 April, 2012, 11:53:55 am »
What a day is all I can say ....Hats off to Hackney Innit Josh for his endeavours on fixed trully awesome effort ........................ but your beard could do with a trim as it will help the aerodynamics! I have also today realised just how tough our man Huumers is...............virtually all day in short sleeve jersey, shorts and no socks ..............
Purely ride fixed

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
« Reply #35 on: 29 April, 2012, 02:04:14 pm »

We had a great view too - when we could stand up!  :o

Priddy seemed to be on fine form but conrgatulations are in order for Blazer and  Swarm_Catcher for their first Wessex 300  :thumbsup:

Many thanks too for the organiser - Pete Loakes and his merry band of helpers at the finish.

H

Cheers H, Priddy, Plodder, Els and Pete for accompanying me along the way.  A fine way to 'break my duck' ;D

Three questions though i) are they all like that, ii) what is the view from Hardy's momument in the daylight and iii) what is all this talk of the Porkers ride?

« Reply #36 on: 29 April, 2012, 02:37:56 pm »
well done blazer :thumbsup:

StephenR

• Boooom Blast & Ruin
« Reply #37 on: 29 April, 2012, 02:40:12 pm »
It was a nice day out, and so much harder than last year with all the wind,rain and rough lanes.

Stayed at AndyP's Friday night, so only a short ride to the start and we rode most of the route together apart from after Dawlish where I lost him until we meet up again in Seaton.

Rode up Salcombe Hill with Bikey-Mikey and we had a coffee in Seaton while I waited for Andy.
A big :thumbsup: to the staff at Axminster station cafe for their swift service and to Peter and his team for a great event.

Hope to back next year.
The land at the end of our toes it goes on and on and on and on

Martin

« Reply #38 on: 29 April, 2012, 03:26:42 pm »
just back after a horrid ride to Moreton station in far worse conditions than yesterday;

the weather was not that bad; think I only put the waterproof on just before Axminster and again near Feniton. The wind was the bastard; even the flat section to Exeter was very hard and coming off the last climb avoided the need for my non-existent brake blocks. The first section was lovely; proper Downs just like down here; saw the Cerne Giant's todger. Some technical (ie avoid large rocks washed into the road) after Axminster but fairly benign to Crediton.

then I assume we got the hilly section. It was relentless; right up to Dawlish, but superb views. The next bit was OK apart from the two mothers of Sidmouth (a lady carrying her shopping beat me up the hill after the closed ford but no foot faults)

the last climb up to the Hardy Monument was pure comedy; compounded by the L crank deciding it no longer wanted to be part of the bike.

Pete's control was superb, San Miguel and pasta, many thanks to you and your helpers  :thumbsup:

Hummers

« Reply #39 on: 29 April, 2012, 04:33:51 pm »
the last climb up to the Hardy Monument was pure comedy; compounded by the L crank deciding it no longer wanted to be part of the bike.

Ah, was it your crank I saw on the floor in Pete's spare room?

H

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #40 on: 29 April, 2012, 04:38:36 pm »
Sounds like most people had an enjoyable ride. despite the extremely windy conditions later in the day. A fine event.

I also had a good ride. albeit slowed by two punctures from bits of sharp flints - the wet lanes certainly were mucky! At least the punctures were in daylight. Will fit new tyres before Porkers...Thanks to whoever loaned me a spare tube in Dawlish, sorry didnt get your name (from the Cotwolds but doesnt like climbing, usually!)pm me to replace if you read this. Great to enjoy a beer and food at Pete's when I got back, and chat with riders still around. Would love to ride this in fine weather another year. I dont think that climb from Sidmouth would be any easier, though, whatever the weather. It turned my legs to jelly...
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

NRB

• I'm doing this for fun, not for charity
« Reply #41 on: 29 April, 2012, 06:53:59 pm »
Well, I did mention before the start that I don't climb well (I get up them, but oh, so slowly) and proved that by arriving so late after finish time that it was almost dawn. I don't think I have climbed as much on a single ride, ever (with possible exception of PBP). That said it would have been an excellent ride (despite the wind) if I hadn't missed the Hardy's monument turn in the midnight murk. Ended up at bottom of a 17% hill and just couldn't face climbing back up so took the scenic route back around the valleys. The sofa was a definite plus instead of the back of the car, so thanks for that Pete.

So, all you climbers, what do I need to do to get up those hills?

« Reply #42 on: 29 April, 2012, 07:05:07 pm »
Congrats to all involved.
Impressive list of finishers already on the website, too. (Via individual rides lists.)

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #43 on: 29 April, 2012, 07:54:15 pm »
can't have been that bad I heard even PaulD finished  :P

Hummers

« Reply #44 on: 29 April, 2012, 08:38:22 pm »

Only in my opinion, but I reckon all of these rides that are based on travelling through superb countryside are adventures; grand views, grunty bits and moments where you feel that you have seen/found somewhere for the first time.

I don't think you need any more motivation than that.

H

« Reply #45 on: 29 April, 2012, 08:39:37 pm »
can't have been that bad I heard even PaulD finished  :P
Naughty!  ;D
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

« Reply #46 on: 29 April, 2012, 09:01:29 pm »

There is lots of pasta left at Petes house if you care to cycle down.

It's a good job he has chickens.

Maybe Pete can send you some with your Brevet Card.

I was one of Pete's merry band of helpers at the finish.

Hummers

« Reply #47 on: 29 April, 2012, 09:23:45 pm »

There is lots of pasta left at Petes house if you care to cycle down.

It's a good job he has chickens.

Maybe Pete can send you some with your Brevet Card.

I was one of Pete's merry band of helpers at the finish.

Cheers m'dear  :thumbsup:

H

NRB

• I'm doing this for fun, not for charity
« Reply #48 on: 29 April, 2012, 09:54:13 pm »
thats what gets me round - a bit quicker is all I'm after

Only in my opinion, but I reckon all of these rides that are based on travelling through superb countryside are adventures; grand views, grunty bits and moments where you feel that you have seen/found somewhere for the first time.

I don't think you need any more motivation than that.

H

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #49 on: 29 April, 2012, 11:04:37 pm »
Thanks to Peter for organising a great ride: a start at first light from a cottage in deepest Dorset, and return many hours later, after a wonderful route with some remarkably big hills to a warm welcome, warm kitchen, and tea / pasta makes it a unique (and highly recommended) experience.

Thanks also to everyone for the great atmosphere and chat on the road which made the miles pass, and to stephen and pauld for waiting, and keeping me going those last 50k.

Andrew
...Ended up at bottom of a 17% hill and just couldn't face climbing back up so took the scenic route back around the valleys.
I did say to Paul as we tried to pick the left up to hardy's monument out of the gloom, 'imagine flying past and ending up at the bottom of Portesham hill...' a thought followed swiftly by a shudder, and moment of silence as we contemplated the horror: chapeau for not just curling up in a ball/looking for a phone box at the bottom! There is no valley route back from there: you're at sea level, and there's the ridgeway between you and west stafford - so you definitely did more hills than the rest of us!

er. more hills?  :)
my top tips would be go harder at hills on training rides than you ever do on an audax, and (if you don't have one) get a turbo, find your threshold, and practice riding near it for an hour at a time, several times a week.