Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2965955 times)

Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #24475 on: 07 March, 2024, 10:36:47 am »
Forcing a disciplinary over intro/ending of an email is the most HR thing I have ever heard! How ridiculous. At worst that's worthy of a quiet checkin, not a fucking disciplinary. I hope HR person got a smack for being such a fuckwit.

I once (many moons ago, before Despicable Me) had a disciplinary for sending an email that went something like this:
Hi Mark,
Could you or one of your minions do a stock check on XYZ and let me know how many are left?

Thanks

I was so gobsmacked (I hadn't known what the meeting was for in advance of being hauled over the coals) so didn't have a chance to point out that being offended by describing an underling as a minion just showed that they didn't understand English.

Per Cambridge Dictionary: a person who is not important and who has to do what another person of higher rank orders them to do

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #24476 on: 07 March, 2024, 10:46:20 am »
F*cking SharePoint..  >:(

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #24477 on: 07 March, 2024, 10:50:45 am »
Forcing a disciplinary over intro/ending of an email is the most HR thing I have ever heard! How ridiculous. At worst that's worthy of a quiet checkin, not a fucking disciplinary. I hope HR person got a smack for being such a fuckwit.

I once (many moons ago, before Despicable Me) had a disciplinary for sending an email that went something like this:
Hi Mark,
Could you or one of your minions do a stock check on XYZ and let me know how many are left?

Thanks

I was so gobsmacked (I hadn't known what the meeting was for in advance of being hauled over the coals) so didn't have a chance to point out that being offended by describing an underling as a minion just showed that they didn't understand English.

Per Cambridge Dictionary: a person who is not important and who has to do what another person of higher rank orders them to do
I wonder if it was the same HR person.

She also hauled me in for a warning because of how I'd spoken to someone.

That someone had gone to her to express concern for me, because I'd sounded really stressed (I know that because they later came to me to explain, they were quite horrified by what had happened).

(yes, I was stressed. Marriage falling apart and crazy demands at work.)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #24478 on: 07 March, 2024, 11:31:56 am »
I got hailed into the Directors office - my offence? Upsetting his secretary by answeriing a question "No" as I was walking past to do something. Apparently I was "abrupt". OK, I was although I preferred to think of it as "concise and accurate".

Same company had HR call a colleague in because he had a No.1 haircut.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #24479 on: 07 March, 2024, 12:18:37 pm »

F**kwit parent, if you want to teach your kids to drown, take them elsewhere.
Is this the first line of an email written in your capacity as a lifeguard?
 :D

I wish ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24480 on: 07 March, 2024, 12:33:21 pm »

Hi Mark,

Thanks

I wonder if it was the same HR person.

She also hauled me in for a warning because of how I'd spoken to someone.

That someone had gone to her to express concern for me, because I'd sounded really stressed (I know that because they later came to me to explain, they were quite horrified by what had happened).

(yes, I was stressed. Marriage falling apart and crazy demands at work.)

Probably related to the one who gave barakta a bollocking for writing a technical email to the telecoms bod, containing technical telecoms details of a technical telecoms thing.  Which the telecoms person was delighted with, as it saved them having to do a whole pile of research.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #24481 on: 07 March, 2024, 01:41:18 pm »
Yep, was going to say about the telecoms email. That wasn't HR tho, that was a shitty manager who also put nasty wording on my probation-pass report that I was sometimes aggressive with no warning about what was aggressive and refused to give me any concrete examples.

I refused to sign the report unless she removed that paragraph. She told me to rewrite it, which I said was HER job. It was left unsigned.

In hindsight I should have written my objections on the document so it was better documented that she was bullying me. Sadly having actually taken another manager to a harassment process shortly after, I have no faith that reporting her for bullying would have done anything except force me into biased mediation with a horrible person.

I will now never do mediation where there is a power imbalance between myself and the other side if the mediators are part of the org we're both involved with. I also know mediation in employers is a step to tick a box and not anything about giving a fuck about employees.

« Reply #24482 on: 07 March, 2024, 06:15:48 pm »
Things start to make more sense when you realise that HR isn't there to help the employees, it's there to protect the company.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #24483 on: 07 March, 2024, 06:26:54 pm »
Human Resources is about humans as a resource, like money, buildings or stock.

Personnel is about people.
It is simpler than it looks.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #24484 on: 07 March, 2024, 06:32:42 pm »
HR is often thought to be the initials of Human Resources, but in most organisations these days it actual stands for Headcount Reduction.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #24485 on: 07 March, 2024, 06:36:29 pm »
Umm... My understanding is that HR are there to protect the company from the employees.
I invite any challenges to that assertion.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24486 on: 07 March, 2024, 08:33:00 pm »
HR is often thought to be the initials of Human Resources, but in most organisations these days it actual stands for Headcount Reduction.
Comes to the same thing: being efficient with resources, whether those resources be humans, money, buildings or stock.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #24487 on: 07 March, 2024, 08:44:53 pm »

Human Remains  where I worked in the Oil Business

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #24488 on: 08 March, 2024, 01:11:07 am »
Beware of any company that states “We treat our employees as human beings”.  You don’t have to study much history to see that this is a double edged sword.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #24489 on: 08 March, 2024, 07:57:49 am »
Human Resources is about humans as a resource, like money, buildings or stock.

Personnel is about people.
Soylent Green is people!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

« Reply #24490 on: 08 March, 2024, 09:31:17 am »
HR tend to be universally shite...

Umm... My understanding is that HR are there to protect the company from the employees.
I invite any challenges to that assertion.

In my place of work, the employees have to protect the company from HR.  I've pointed out where HR are repeated failing to do the basics and putting company at significant risk.  I know others have as well.

Green Party Councillor

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #24491 on: 08 March, 2024, 10:29:45 am »
We don't have "HR" in the organisation I work for. The top bod is the "Chief People Officer". The traditional HR aspects of the job seem to be diversified across different director-level roles reporting to the CPO. The person in charge of recruitment is "Head of Talent".

It does sometimes feel like they're just using different names as a smokescreen for the same old shit, but at least they're trying.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #24492 on: 08 March, 2024, 11:03:50 am »
Personnel departments, as termed then, were self serving twats over fifty years ago in my experiences. Being free of them was a major advantage of eventually becoming self-employed.

The other advantages were fewer time-wasting company meetings, and being able to go for a cycle ride when the weather was fine when I wasn't too busy. Sometimes of course I had to work evenings and weekends when very busy, but the flexibility was great.

barakta

« Reply #24493 on: 08 March, 2024, 01:48:13 pm »
HR people are usually SPECTACULARLY clueless about the Equality Act. I recall a job interview I had where to the entertainment of the prospective boss I had to explain various disability elements to a spectacularly fuckwitted HR woman.

They then disability discriminated against me by withdrawing job offer with dubious excuse, in spite of the reason for me being offered the job was in part my strong legal knowledge.

I don't think HR expected the 13 months of legalling that I initiated and ran like a metronome (expecting them to fuck about at each step). I deeply enjoyed telling the Head of Legal (acting in HR capacity) during legal mediation that their offer was derisory and when he claimed "it's all I have permission for" I replied with "you have a phone, use it". I walked out of mediation and got 2.6x the offer in post mediation settlement.

Interestingly the lovely and smart manager I'd have worked for left the org soon after... She 200% knew I would sue their sorry arses off cos they were piss artists and not even very clever piss artists.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #24494 on: 19 March, 2024, 02:22:41 pm »
Bloody bastarding tax office want money off me. It’s the first I’ve heard about it.
Apparently I owe them self assessment fillings and have been fined accordingly. I’ve always been PAYE and only have one source of income.
I can’t log on to their system because they are using 2FA and have the wrong number on file for me. I don’t recognise the number the do have, but I must have put it in at some time.
I cannot change the number because I cannot log in.
They have a way of verifying who I am.
It does not work because they do not recognise my Driving Licence or passport details (they don’t say which).
Interest is accruing on the money I owe them while I cannot access their systems. 

Death and taxes are unavoidable, and the death bit at least is easily accessible. It’s a shame that sorting out taxes isn’t also easily accessible.

BASTARDS.

For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Regulator

« Reply #24495 on: 19 March, 2024, 02:55:23 pm »
Bloody bastarding tax office want money off me. It’s the first I’ve heard about it.
Apparently I owe them self assessment fillings and have been fined accordingly. I’ve always been PAYE and only have one source of income.
I can’t log on to their system because they are using 2FA and have the wrong number on file for me. I don’t recognise the number the do have, but I must have put it in at some time.
I cannot change the number because I cannot log in.
They have a way of verifying who I am.
It does not work because they do not recognise my Driving Licence or passport details (they don’t say which).
Interest is accruing on the money I owe them while I cannot access their systems. 

Death and taxes are unavoidable, and the death bit at least is easily accessible. It’s a shame that sorting out taxes isn’t also easily accessible.

BASTARDS.

Phone them - 0300 200 3310.  It can sometimes take a while to get through but at least you'll get to speak to someone and they do tend to know what they're doing.  I must say I've always found HMRC really helpful when I've rung them.

Green Party Councillor

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24496 on: 19 March, 2024, 03:03:35 pm »
Get a wriggle on then Beardy.

People seeking help with their tax return will be forced to use a chatbot and online services for half the year because a helpline will be shut.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) said the self-assessment telephone helpline would be permanently closed between 8 April and 30 September.

More here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68606722
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

barakta

« Reply #24497 on: 19 March, 2024, 05:19:06 pm »
HMRC just closing their helpline is a shitting disgrace and a sign of how badly they have been underfunded by central government. I don't know how we can complain, but we should. A tax system as complex as ours needs better than just tonnes of confusing webpages and a shite online system which isn't even legally accessibility compliant cos HMRC are fucknuggets of the highest order.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #24498 on: 19 March, 2024, 07:15:12 pm »
Chatbot also works ok if you tell it you need to speak to a person.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24499 on: 20 March, 2024, 11:49:25 am »
All change!

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has reversed a decision to close its self-assessment telephone helpline for half of the year.

The tax authority announced on Tuesday that the line would be closed between April and September, with taxpayers directed to online services instead.

But less than a day later it said the phone line would stay open this summer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68616330
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)