Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2930327 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #24500 on: 20 March, 2024, 01:41:07 pm »
All change!

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has reversed a decision to close its self-assessment telephone helpline for half of the year.

The tax authority announced on Tuesday that the line would be closed between April and September, with taxpayers directed to online services instead.

But less than a day later it said the phone line would stay open this summer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68616330

I reckon someone from HMRC reads YACF and didn't fancy dealing with a ranting Beardy...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #24501 on: 20 March, 2024, 02:20:46 pm »
Friend waited 45 mins to get an answer from HMRC helpline this morning, her tax code is wrong and apparently she's supposed to submit anyway and hope HMRC actually fix it like asked. Fucking jokers the lot of them.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #24502 on: 20 March, 2024, 04:16:44 pm »
I gave in and rang them. After wadding through the messages telling me it’ll be faster to look up an answer on line (why do you think I’m ringing you, muppets) and fighting with the voice recognition system, it eventually agreed to put me in the (longer than usual) queueueue. THEN it decided it was broken told me so politely and said goodbye.

I’d not be in this mess if I’d not registered for a business tax account in November 2019. The business didn’t go anywhere. My P45 shows less than my final payslip because of redundancy payments calefudgery. I then received two further payments from BT in subsequent FYs, which were taxed at the higher rate. I had no other income and no P60s from BT, but becuase I tried to set up a small business they now want tax returns which I can’t fill in because I’ve no P60s. And because I’ve been paying PAYE on the lump payments and the pension I later stated taking, I didn’t think I needed to,complete tax returns. But theyve decided to fine me anyway. And I can’t get in touch with them because a) they’re very busy, and b)their phone system things it’s broken.

BASTARDS.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #24503 on: 20 March, 2024, 04:23:06 pm »
I suspect the phoneline is less utterly-fucked in the earlier morning than the evening. I hate how public bodies (Charity Commission I'm cursing you!) let people wait then hang up or close lines early which is what Chazzer Commission did to us. I still need to send them a complaint.

« Reply #24504 on: 21 March, 2024, 05:40:50 pm »
BT HAVE to provide P60s and these are really important to keep.

It is only because I had P60/p45 that I was able to get my NI contribution record fixed (bastard ex employers had been deducting from salary, but not passing on to HMRC).

<i>Marmite slave</i>