Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2945292 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #23475 on: 07 December, 2018, 01:24:42 pm »
There's a rhythmic clunking coming from the other side of my wall...

Student trying to escape?

Robotic vacuum cleaner stuck in a corner?

Someone trying to park their car next to their bed?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #23476 on: 07 December, 2018, 01:26:29 pm »
Headboard? :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23477 on: 07 December, 2018, 01:30:20 pm »
Headboard? :demon:

Was my thought.  You know what this landlord-issue furniture is like.

It's stopped now.  We'll see if the pizza alarm goes off in 10 minutes...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23478 on: 07 December, 2018, 01:45:26 pm »
On the subject of office Christmas parties, I've not had one for a couple of years since I've been freelance, working at home. Now I'm an employee again but I don't think there will be a company Christmas party as such. Our team is, however, having its own Christmas party, which will be pizza and champagne in one of the office meeting rooms during our lunch break a few days before we break up. I am actually looking forward to it.

I well remember how team Christmas lunches used to be at the job I was doing back in the late 90s - much discussion (ie arguing) over finding a venue that was the least disagreeable to the largest number of people, and as cheap as possible so no one had to spend too much money for the privilege of being forced to enjoy the company of their colleagues outside the office. So much bitterness and resentment was always sure to guarantee a fun and festive time was had by all.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #23479 on: 07 December, 2018, 04:12:22 pm »
Because most of "my" team are generally focussed on oil and gas as well, we can often all end up in Aberdeen at the same time in the run up to Christmas and do something on the side with a bit of extra booze charged back to the mothership rather than the clients
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23480 on: 07 December, 2018, 05:49:39 pm »
My B-in-L is moving back to Aberdeen in January, after 20 years or so in the Middle East. My niece is not the happiest camper in town because she was living rent free in the house they’ve kept since last they lived in Aberdeen, and now she’s suddenly going to have ‘roomies’.  ;D I’m also not sure how either my sis or B-in-L are going to cope with the weather after being desiccated for so long. :)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #23481 on: 07 December, 2018, 08:35:37 pm »
My B-in-L is moving back to Aberdeen in January, after 20 years or so in the Middle East. My niece is not the happiest camper in town because she was living rent free in the house they’ve kept since last they lived in Aberdeen, and now she’s suddenly going to have ‘roomies’.  ;D I’m also not sure how either my sis or B-in-L are going to cope with the weather after being desiccated for so long. :)

Presumably they're going to cope by evicting your niece, selling up and moving somewhere less weathery in short order.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23482 on: 07 December, 2018, 10:09:12 pm »
I believe that my sister would be of that mind fairly quickly, however, my B-in-L is a Yorkshireman and asthe move to Aberdeen represents a promotion (and I assume a hefty pay Rise) i cant see him retiringjust yet. Oh, and Hannah, my niece, is a daddy’s girl* and is therefore unlikely to suffer my deprivations at the hands of my B-in-L

* he’s lucky, he only has the one daughter.i have two and am equally entwined around there little fingers ::-)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #23483 on: 10 December, 2018, 06:34:30 pm »
The Voyager 2 probe, which left Earth in 1977, has become the second human-made object to leave our Solar System.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/science-environment-46502820

It had better not be coming back built into some weird sentient megastructure, seeking its creator... ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #23484 on: 10 December, 2018, 07:15:33 pm »
The Voyager 2 probe, which left Earth in 1977, has become the second human-made object to leave our Solar System.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/science-environment-46502820

It had better not be coming back built into some weird sentient megastructure, seeking its creator... ;)

I think it can have it's own thread...

« Reply #23485 on: 10 December, 2018, 09:14:34 pm »
I had my flu vaccination earlier.  I've just started to feel cold, nearly at the teeth chattering phase  :jurek:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #23486 on: 10 December, 2018, 09:59:07 pm »
How sad. Irish woman who married ghost of 300-year-old pirate says they have split up - https://www.irishpost.com/news/irish-woman-married-ghost-300-year-old-pirate-says-split-162579
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23487 on: 11 December, 2018, 12:56:44 pm »
The neighbours back yard has a broken disposable plastic bucket lying in the weeds, of 4 or 5 litres capacity. Can't see what was in it, but a warning in German on the side says "smoking damages teeth and gums". Kinda hard to imagine someone buying a gallon of tobacco, but I can't think what else might be in it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

« Reply #23488 on: 11 December, 2018, 02:36:05 pm »
have they been to Andorra recently?  The place is a duty free haven and does indeed sell hand rolling baccy by the bucket.  I was a bit  :o when I saw it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23489 on: 13 December, 2018, 03:02:10 pm »
From my Facebook feed.

« Reply #23490 on: 13 December, 2018, 04:26:31 pm »
MrsC and I went to the work christmas party.

There were spacepeople floating on the ceiling.

People on stilts.

A tyrannosaurus

Martinis (and other cocktails) mixed and poured by the jug.

Dancing girls semi-clad in feather dresses (no, really, and yes, this is 2018).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #23491 on: 13 December, 2018, 05:06:56 pm »
Was that before or after the drugs kicked in LOL
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23492 on: 13 December, 2018, 05:07:48 pm »
have they been to Andorra recently?  The place is a duty free haven and does indeed sell hand rolling baccy by the bucket.  I was a bit  :o when I saw it.

Yeah, but in that case why a warning in German, in letters 1 cm high?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

« Reply #23493 on: 13 December, 2018, 06:48:16 pm »
That, I can't explain.

ElyDave

« Reply #23494 on: 13 December, 2018, 06:49:13 pm »
From my Facebook feed.

Just curious, are you not allowed to write God, in Judaism?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23495 on: 13 December, 2018, 06:53:16 pm »

Yeah, but in that case why a warning in German, in letters 1 cm high?
Perhaps from Liechtenstein?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #23496 on: 13 December, 2018, 07:00:39 pm »
Was that before or after the drugs kicked in LOL
I was told off for not being friendly to the tyrannosaurus (it bared its teeth at me, so I snarled and roared at it).

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23497 on: 13 December, 2018, 07:34:21 pm »
MrsC and I went to the work christmas party.

There were spacepeople floating on the ceiling.

People on stilts.

A tyrannosaurus

Martinis (and other cocktails) mixed and poured by the jug.

Dancing girls semi-clad in feather dresses (no, really, and yes, this is 2018).

In 2018 it really ought to be the tyrannosaurus clad in feather dresses...

« Reply #23498 on: 13 December, 2018, 08:23:15 pm »

Just curious, are you not allowed to write God, in Judaism?

Basically the premise is that any piece of paper with god's name on cannot be thrown away and has to be buried (which happens to old bibles and prayer books) This gives rise to the sort of shenanigans you see above. The tetragrammaton is also never pronounced, instead it is read as the word meaning "our lord". There you go. The underlying concept is that you may not take the lord's name in vain, and you must always show it respect. 

ElyDave

« Reply #23499 on: 13 December, 2018, 08:29:07 pm »
Thanks, I thought it would be along those lines,