Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1252587 times)

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6900 on: 04 January, 2019, 02:23:43 pm »
I'm a lower weight than last year, but up on where I was in July this year, so starting again. 

I've managed to keep to my diet this week.

As an aside, has anyone tried LoDough Pizza bases?  If so, what are they like?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6901 on: 04 January, 2019, 02:49:19 pm »
Hopefully will add 2019 to graphs over the weekend.

Thanks!

I really appreciate your continued work!

I'm currently troughing in Christchurch and don't expect sensible weights and eating quite yet.

« Reply #6902 on: 08 January, 2019, 05:37:54 pm »
Off the booze and aiming for a more aggressive 1kg/week (I was averaging 40 units of alcohol a week so that's close to 3500kcal on its own) to get down to 80kg for the end of April.

Also starting 16 week marathon training programme so it'll be impossible to tell how much of the (hopeful) weight loss is due to exercise or abstinence but I'm not worried about that.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #6903 on: 08 January, 2019, 05:54:20 pm »
Off the booze and aiming for a more aggressive 1kg/week (I was averaging 40 units of alcohol a week so that's close to 3500kcal on its own) to get down to 80kg for the end of April.

Also starting 16 week marathon training programme so it'll be impossible to tell how much of the (hopeful) weight loss is due to exercise or abstinence but I'm not worried about that.

Pretty much the same planned trajectory as me. This is an example that's always stuck in my mind: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=28102.msg510847#msg510847  :o

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6904 on: 08 January, 2019, 07:32:53 pm »
Took me at least 7 attempts to get steady enough on scales for a reading in the small hours today, which I will not repeat tomorrow..

There's no real change in my weight, which is fine after a week's troughing.

« Reply #6905 on: 08 January, 2019, 08:56:26 pm »
This is an example that's always stuck in my mind: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=28102.msg510847#msg510847  :o

This is the only quote from MV in this thread that hints as to how he did it:-

I'm doing OK also.  9 kg off since NY, and I have a weight in stone that begins in 12 and not 14 now.

I've already got the mother-in-law "too thin" comment :)

I even managed to keep my weight down on last week's work trip to the US, despite the enforced inactivity and the lack of control over diet etc.  Not drinking alcohol (which I can tell you was a major temptation last week) is really helping me.  Not just the calories in the booze, but the way it messes up both my metabolism and my will power...

I'm still (just slightly) overweight according to my BMI, but I think that's more of an indication of the crudeness of BMI.

I was happy with my effort in 2007:-

but that was a lot of riding (50 point season including LEL) and pre-fatherhood (so 120km a week cycle commuting instead of the current 24km).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6906 on: 09 January, 2019, 08:18:31 am »
struggling with activity at the moment after my accident at the end of october.

Managed 45km on the bike on Saturday, some walking on Sunday, nothing Monday, and had to force myself onto the turbo trainer yesterday, truncating the session to 50mins.  Spent the rest of the evening lying on my back on my yoga mat in the living room due to lower back pain. I can't see myself doing much more than some walking this lunchtime.   

No prospect of audax this weekend, and I think even the aim of 50-75km a week might be pushing it (last year I was averaging over 100km/week until the accident, and that included travel-enforced zero weeks)

Physio should be here again next week. 
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6907 on: 10 January, 2019, 09:25:31 pm »
Precisely 18 stones this evening at the Slimming World group. That's 3lb down on last week, 2st 5lb all told.

I shall aim for 2b this coming week, to try to get my 2.5 stone award.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #6908 on: 12 January, 2019, 07:01:40 pm »
I've never been fat, but used to struggle to keep a "racing snake weight" which for me means anywhere between 69 and 71Kg... occasionally I used to balloon to 77 kg and had to resort to dieting, as well as my menu of 200+ km a week on the bike.

Then just over a year ago I cut meat and since then I have been steady at 71 kg, including over the Christmas period (twice). I don't think it's meat per se, but all the crap that goes with it... a pork pie, burger with chips, sausages with loads of brown sauce.

I eat more carbs that I probably should, albeit with loads of fibre, but carbs don't seem to inflate me in the same way as a protein (and crap) rich diet used to.

« Reply #6909 on: 13 January, 2019, 03:08:33 pm »
It's incredible how one individual's body responds to one thing and another person responds in a completely different way.

I have to cut back on training and exercise to control my hunger. I simply can't cut calories and exercise at the same intensity. My plan is to just focus on losing weight for eight weeks. I'm going to be doing less exercise than normal but will still keep up with weight training, wattbike sessions and running but all at a reduced intensity so I'm not ravenous all of the time.

That's the plan anyway.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6910 on: 13 January, 2019, 04:06:04 pm »
I am much lighter now (<62kg) than when I had an 11,000 mile per year cycling habit (72-76kg).

I'm sure I've lost muscle from my enforced inactivity but I could not lose weight when I rode a lot. I could ignore hunger but could not ignore legs that only propelled my bike a snail's pace.

Keto wasn't a thing when I was cycling but attempting to ride on fewer carbs or empty always resulted in dreadful progress.

If I attempted to lose weight in the 'off season', it would take a while to regain strength, which usually accompanied weight gain.

Good luck Double Dips!

« Reply #6911 on: 13 January, 2019, 05:09:07 pm »
I am much lighter now (<62kg) than when I had an 11,000 mile per year cycling habit (72-76kg).

I'm sure I've lost muscle from my enforced inactivity but I could not lose weight when I rode a lot. I could ignore hunger but could not ignore legs that only propelled my bike a snail's pace.

Keto wasn't a thing when I was cycling but attempting to ride on fewer carbs or empty always resulted in dreadful progress.

If I attempted to lose weight in the 'off season', it would take a while to regain strength, which usually accompanied weight gain.

Good luck Double Dips!

Oh F**k.

I lost 7lb last year in April through a quick but violent illness and kept it off until December. Once I recovered after the illness, my riding improved and I made it up hills quicker than when I was heavier.  It made for an enjoyable second half of the year.

I'm still eating carbs (oats and sweet potato and some normal potato). Just not bread.

I've also got polycystic ovaries to add to the mix, which messes with hormones. I'm hoping the strength training will help to maintain power and muscle mass to some extent. I'm considering buying some new scales to monitor fat % but I don't think it will help with motivation. I'm already trying pretty hard!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6912 on: 16 January, 2019, 06:52:52 pm »
My unofficial weight this morning was 111.5kg, down half a kg. That is so marginal as to be "noise". Any loss at tomorrow's offical weigh-in will be a bonus. I will be most surprised if I managed the 2lb needed for my 2.5 stone award.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6913 on: 17 January, 2019, 09:51:27 pm »
My unofficial weight this morning was 111.5kg, down half a kg. That is so marginal as to be "noise". Any loss at tomorrow's offical weigh-in will be a bonus. I will be most surprised if I managed the 2lb needed for my 2.5 stone award.

Well, I was most agreeably surprised and I did lose the 2lb necessary!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6914 on: 17 January, 2019, 10:55:49 pm »
Well done WB!

I've not weighed myself this week...

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #6915 on: 23 January, 2019, 07:04:34 am »
I have a strong start in January, after a December that resulted in only a minor weightloss.
Sticking to 5.000-7000 kj (1.200-1.600kcal) and 5-6 meals a day works for me.

All the greasy high energy very tasteful food :P :P from december are not in the shops now
and therefor not in my cupboard.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6916 on: 23 January, 2019, 09:23:40 am »
Up 1.5kg on last week. Saturday and Sunday were largely responsible for that - curry with beers on Saturday, Sunday lunch cooked by my son-in-law. Apart from those two indiscretions, I have been pretty much sticking to my plan of no beer, definitely no cake, and minimal amounts of bread.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #6917 on: 23 January, 2019, 10:02:08 am »
All the greasy high energy very tasteful food :P :P from december are not in the shops now

HAH!  That's because I bought it all!    Unfortunately, I Nommed most of it last week  :facepalm:
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #6918 on: 23 January, 2019, 10:14:01 am »

HAH!  That's because I bought it all!    Unfortunately, I Nommed most of it last week  :facepalm:

;D ;D
You might need a couple of mugs Tea and some Milk of magnesia, Your stomach will thank you.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #6919 on: 23 January, 2019, 10:23:14 am »
Wintry weather means I can't cycle regularly, so I need to cut calories intake.

I am trying an easier version of a 5+2... basically on the two 'fasting days" I try to stay within 1000 Kcal... I don't think I can do 600 and quite likely I don't need to

« Reply #6920 on: 23 January, 2019, 11:25:24 am »
I have a strong start in January, after a December that resulted in only a minor weightloss.
Sticking to 5.000-7000 kj (1.200-1.600kcal) and 5-6 meals a day works for me.

5-6 meals a day would have me hungry and thinking about food ALL THE TIME.

One meal (almost always cheese with either salad or pickles) and a full fat snack of nuts, meat or (even more) dairy.
That and giving up cycling to work, is working very well.

It's incredible how one individual's body responds to one thing and another person responds in a completely different way.

I have to cut back on training and exercise to control my hunger. I simply can't cut calories and exercise at the same intensity. My plan is to just focus on losing weight for eight weeks. I'm going to be doing less exercise than normal but will still keep up with weight training, wattbike sessions and running but all at a reduced intensity so I'm not ravenous all of the time.

That's the plan anyway.

Indeed. It's zone 2 efforts that make me hungry. Well, hungrier than the calories I've used, anyway. I don't want to sound proselytising but particularly with PCOS I would recommend trying a low carb diet. If you can put up with a life of restricted diet and don't emotionally eat, it can work wonders.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6921 on: 23 January, 2019, 01:26:25 pm »
Too wobbly to step on the scales.
Have not yet finished cakes, biscuits and chocolates from Christmas.
Not hungry or eating between meals.
I don't think I'll get fatter like this even ifI don't get thinner.
Have three major eating events within next week.

« Reply #6922 on: 23 January, 2019, 03:00:38 pm »

I don't want to sound proselytising but particularly with PCOS I would recommend trying a low carb diet. If you can put up with a life of restricted diet and don't emotionally eat, it can work wonders.

You don't. I am cutting back on carbs but not cutting them entirely. I once saw a nutritionist who recommended no carbs at night unless I've done a run or some form of exercise in the evening.

My two weeks of dieting have gone so so. Lost 3lb first week. I had a cold in the second week so no exercise at all and I went out on Saturday and ate Dim Sum and drank four beers. As a result, my weight has stayed the same. I've been very good otherwise; just one night.

Hoping more weight will come off if I have a week with no meals out and regular gym/wattbike sessions. 

« Reply #6923 on: 13 February, 2019, 01:39:12 pm »
BMI under 30 for the first time in a few years. Now to get it down to under 25.

Skiing next week may help, depends on how greedy I am.

« Reply #6924 on: 13 February, 2019, 01:42:50 pm »
I'm lighter than I was through the whole of 2018. (Some of this week's weight loss is in about 30cm of hair but as I'm concerned about mass, not volume, I'm fine with that)