Author Topic: Utilitarian Adventures  (Read 152526 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #25 on: 03 March, 2016, 08:29:14 pm »

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #26 on: 03 March, 2016, 08:38:20 pm »
Excellent.   :D

Of we go then.  :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #27 on: 03 March, 2016, 09:26:35 pm »
I did a utility trip to Church and back wivva floot anna music Stan on Sunday.  Does that count?

Less than a mile in total, I should think.
Milk please, no sugar.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #28 on: 03 March, 2016, 09:28:11 pm »
I'll just leave this here: http://chasingmailboxes.com/2016/02/25/the-errandonnee-ride-or-run-and-get-stuff-done/

I have a problem with the "controls" listed:

Personal Care
    Personal Business
    You carried WHAT on your bike (or back)?! (Thanks to Rachel C. for this suggestion!)
    Arts and Entertainment
    Non-Store Errand
    Social Call (includes restaurants, coffee, and other social activities)
    Work or Volunteering
    Store (includes bike shop, running store, grocery store, etc. You know, a store.)
    Wild Card (surprise me!)

My life isn't that exciting!

"Personal care" - er, what's that? I certainly don't go out for it!
"Personal business" - ditto
"You carried WHAT!?" - OK, I can probably do this (I haz trailer)
"Arts and Entertainment" - I can probably  do this - we have a village theatre. Problem is, I'll be billy no-mates and going on my own. Maybe "library visit" will count.
"Non-store errand" - er, isn't that what the above are?
"Social call" - tricky
"Work or volunteering" - hah! lack thereof is why I'm here
"Store" - at last, an easy one
"Wildcard" - I'm sure I can come up with something.

OK, I'm nitpicking (sort of) - I love the concept!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 03 March, 2016, 09:32:06 pm »
I'll just leave this here: http://chasingmailboxes.com/2016/02/25/the-errandonnee-ride-or-run-and-get-stuff-done/

I have a problem with the "controls" listed:

Personal Care
    Personal Business
    You carried WHAT on your bike (or back)?! (Thanks to Rachel C. for this suggestion!)
    Arts and Entertainment
    Non-Store Errand
    Social Call (includes restaurants, coffee, and other social activities)
    Work or Volunteering
    Store (includes bike shop, running store, grocery store, etc. You know, a store.)
    Wild Card (surprise me!)

My life isn't that exciting!

My thoughts exactly.  Realistically I just don't do that much stuff.  Or at least, not regularly enough to do them all back to back.

I do have a moving target[1] of a dentist appointment that should qualify for "personal care", so that's one of the tricky ones covered.

[1] They keep having to cancel it.

Pancho

« Reply #30 on: 03 March, 2016, 09:37:56 pm »
I did a utility trip to Church and back wivva floot anna music Stan on Sunday.  Does that count?

Less than a mile in total, I should think.

Definitely counts. These are the rides of legends.

« Reply #31 on: 03 March, 2016, 09:41:05 pm »
Helped my youngest last weekend on his paper round, Saturday and Sunday morning.   Used my carbon fibre bike for a paper round :-)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #32 on: 03 March, 2016, 11:09:10 pm »
I also never seem to have enough errands to do her Errandonee challenge but I did the Coffeeneuring one a couple of years ago, which was fun.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 03 March, 2016, 11:26:05 pm »
I don't drink coffee either.  I suppose I'll just have to do some audaxes.

« Reply #34 on: 04 March, 2016, 08:48:04 am »
My last utility ride was a couple of weeks ago, a trip to the barbers to get my thatch thinned, with a stop at the post office for an anniversary card, trip done in civies and mountain bike shoes, my car was parked round the back of the house and it was far easier than getting the car out.

« Reply #35 on: 04 March, 2016, 10:52:22 am »
42miles to Farnborough and back  to my local cycle shop with a wheel rim and some SRAM dual drive parts. The longest utility I have done this year  :)

the slower you go the more you see

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #36 on: 04 March, 2016, 11:12:24 am »
In January I bought a bike specifically for utility cycling, here is Penelope the Pashley Pronto (eBay - £135  :thumbsup:  ) ...

Prior to getting Penelope I would often drive the mile into town as I considered it to be too much faff to take all the easily nickable bits off my nice bikes (pump, lights etc) and of course there is always the chance the whole bike will get pinched.

Now, I just jump on Penelope wearing whatever I happen to have on - easy!

I am logging all my rides on Strava, mainly for my own amusement.  I add all manner of detail, such as yesterday I rode into town for some shopping which largely comprised of various types of bin bag  ;D

Last week I got a friendly beep from a Braintree District Council bin lorry.  I know it was friendly as the beep was accompanied by a cab full of bin men grinning and waving.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #37 on: 04 March, 2016, 11:20:36 am »
The conference call I'm listening into is well dull so here are some photos from my recent utilitarian adventures ...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #38 on: 04 March, 2016, 11:24:13 am »
Oh, hang on, missed one (the free puppy is in my pannier ) ...

« Reply #39 on: 04 March, 2016, 12:44:57 pm »
I can't match the Andrex, but I just went into town for an eye test and to pick up a cheap phone. Not much to report, except that everybody was Irish.

Pancho

« Reply #40 on: 04 March, 2016, 12:58:30 pm »
No outing for me today.

@Oscar's Dad: cool bike, cool pics. Despite sticking mega-capacity panniers on my mirror toting tourer, you've way outgunned me on the utility stakes.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #41 on: 04 March, 2016, 01:04:18 pm »
@Oscar's Dad: cool bike, cool pics. Despite sticking mega-capacity panniers on my mirror toting tourer, you've way outgunned me on the utility stakes.

;D

It's not a competition!  Penelope started life as a works bike at the Atomic Weapons Establishment, Aldermaston but I bought her from a bloke in Goole.  Anyone wanting something similar should Google "Elephant Bikes" as they have all the old Royal Mail Mailstars, a Pronto by another name.

I do love utility cycling.  I've already been to the gym this morning (2 mile round trip) and was due to ride down to Tesco but The Current Mrs R is popping in on her way home - I feel cheated!

rr

« Reply #42 on: 05 March, 2016, 03:11:39 pm »
A tandem utility trip with micro, hobbycraft and the music shop

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #43 on: 06 March, 2016, 09:11:51 am »
Church and back.  The homeward journey involved transporting a little bunch of daffs and some homemade chocolates, as it is Mothering Sunday.  Which was nice.

Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #44 on: 06 March, 2016, 09:20:27 am »
Does going to the postbox count?

second ride of the morning, fatbike this time on 1" of snow :P
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #45 on: 06 March, 2016, 10:55:27 am »

You need to contact fruitcake for some of those wonderful trouser straps.  Far better than clips IME.

« Reply #46 on: 06 March, 2016, 07:33:32 pm »
Three trips to the local shop . 1.5 miles  :).
the slower you go the more you see

Oscar's dad

« Reply #47 on: 07 March, 2016, 12:11:03 pm »
fruitcake will be getting some of my money, thanks for the tip off. The cycle clips shown in the photo have been largely abandoned in favour of those slap wrap things which are more comfortable but aren't ideal.

In terms of utilitarian cycling I can only report a 2 mile round trip to the gym this morning, nothing over the weekend, in fact no cycling at all  :(

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #48 on: 07 March, 2016, 12:19:21 pm »
The conference call I'm listening into is well dull so here are some photos from my recent utilitarian adventures ...

[img width=480

My first reaction (until I looked closer) was "How has he molished that Aldi trolley to use as a trailer?"

Oscar's dad

« Reply #49 on: 07 March, 2016, 12:22:50 pm »
 ;D