Author Topic: Cardiac Ablation  (Read 6606 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Cardiac Ablation
« Reply #25 on: 03 July, 2023, 09:31:28 am »
Well, now the the exercise ban is over, I had a 6.30 a.m. class at a local gym (as part of a trial week).

It's on a small, local trading estate and is run by two local lads in their early 20s.  They were very welcoming and supportive to a fat old thing like me.  The class only had three people this morning (apparently 6 is the most they're ever had for a morning class), which meant that the trainer had plenty of time to correct my form on various things.

I've got a tester 'weights and plates' class booked for Thursday.  Then we're on holiday for two week... but I intend to sign up when we get back.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #26 on: 03 July, 2023, 10:02:12 am »
I managed to miss all of this entirely. Sounds like your recovery has gone well. Good luck with the fitness regaining!

Regulator

« Reply #27 on: 31 July, 2023, 12:50:59 pm »
Well, I'm now in the gym five mornings a week (for a 6.30 am class).  No AF issues so far. :thumbsup:

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #28 on: 31 July, 2023, 12:56:24 pm »
Woot ! Good news.  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #29 on: 31 July, 2023, 03:16:24 pm »
Well done, Reg.

« Reply #30 on: 31 July, 2023, 10:32:04 pm »
Yay, glad it is sorted.

« Reply #31 on: 31 July, 2023, 10:35:14 pm »
Well done you, keep it up!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #32 on: 31 July, 2023, 10:49:06 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #33 on: 01 August, 2023, 08:18:27 am »

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #34 on: 06 August, 2023, 08:07:56 pm »

I've been in the hospital all day with an arrythmia (again - it happened in 2021) but there is nothing wrong with the ECG shape or any blood tests - just lots and lots of ectopic beats.  Felt very unwell this morning with pulse of 100 and BP of 165/85 although these gradually dropped back to a more usual 54 and 124/70 by the time I got home (I think I may have a virus, and we decided to walk 3 miles home, which helped shift it). 

Does AF show on an ECG?  I never get any issue when exercising - it's only ever when still.  Seems to be triggered by stress and seasonal allergy.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #35 on: 06 August, 2023, 08:14:24 pm »
When I went to A & E with AF in ... 2020 (? Can't remember now) the oximeter said my pulse was about 50, but the display showed a main strong beat and a couple of wibbles. I spoke to someone at 111 and when I described the symptoms (a sort of light feeling in my chest) I was told to go straight to A & E.

Their machine registered my pulse as 170. It seemed to measure each wibble as a heartbeat. I was injected with some sort of drug and within minutes that brought my pulse down to between 60 and 70. Ever since then, I've been on beta blockers (bisoprolol) and edoxaban blood thinner. I've not had a repeat of the exercise - at least, that I've noticed - so haven't been back in.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #36 on: 06 August, 2023, 08:44:43 pm »

I've been in the hospital all day with an arrythmia (again - it happened in 2021) but there is nothing wrong with the ECG shape or any blood tests - just lots and lots of ectopic beats.  Felt very unwell this morning with pulse of 100 and BP of 165/85 although these gradually dropped back to a more usual 54 and 124/70 by the time I got home (I think I may have a virus, and we decided to walk 3 miles home, which helped shift it). 

Does AF show on an ECG?  I never get any issue when exercising - it's only ever when still.  Seems to be triggered by stress and seasonal allergy.

You'll need a 24hour heart monitor to see AF as it's normally so random . . . it's a bit like an ECG with 5 or 6 stickers on your torso connected to a gadget about as big as a walkman that does the recording (you hook it on your belt during the day and it lies in bed when you're asleep) - they then extract an ECG type print-out to see any AF blips and then prescribe accordingly - most likely a top and bottom BP controller and Edoxaban (was Warfarin in days gone by) to thin blood and reduce potential for blood clots which could cause a stroke.

I've been medication for AF for about 30 years - had a cardioversion about 25 years ago which didn't work . .  it just left 2 scorch marks on my back and chest!!

rogerzilla

« Reply #37 on: 07 August, 2023, 07:13:13 am »
They did the monitor 18 months ago but it only picked up six ectopic beats in 24h, which is completely normal (this was four months after the symptoms, so the monitoring was pointless).  The odd beats seem to be triggered by seasonal asthma in Jul/Aug, which happens only in wet summers.  Nov 21 was the only time it happened at another time of year.  Asthma treatment may be more useful as I don't currently have any.

« Reply #38 on: 07 August, 2023, 07:27:36 am »
Rogerzilla, best wishes. And maybe you should avoid any threads discussing the Orange one.

« Reply #39 on: 07 August, 2023, 07:48:45 am »
I hope you can shift that soon, it sounds unpleasant, although I suppose that might not get to the cause.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #40 on: 07 August, 2023, 09:20:28 am »
Good luck, Roger.  AF should show up on an ECG as a sort-of saw-tooth base pattern punctuated by irregular sharp peaks.

You can get watches that allow you to monitor for Afib.  I have a Withings one that was recommended by my cardiologist, but you can get equivalent Chinesium ones for a tenth of the price.

rogerzilla

« Reply #41 on: 07 August, 2023, 09:45:21 am »
The ECG is completely normal except for the ectopic beats, so they don't think it's AF.  I'm going to see the asthma nurse later as I think that is triggering the odd beats.  Had it 20 years ago, same time of year, and the GP then reckoned it was a seasonal allergy.  It went away on holiday in the Alps this summer.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #42 on: 07 August, 2023, 11:00:15 am »
Maybe the NHS might fund a cure in Chamonix.

Actually, you'd have a good chance of our lot saying OK to that.

Regulator

« Reply #43 on: 07 August, 2023, 09:58:15 pm »
I got a copy of the bill for my surgery.   £22k  :o  most of which was single use disposable instrumentation. 

I can see why NHS tariff is so high for this procedure. 

Green Party Councillor

rogerzilla

« Reply #44 on: 08 August, 2023, 06:57:17 am »
The consultant fees are usually a small part of it.  My eyes were about £5000 each.  The consultant got about £800 and the anaesthetist £500.  The hospital got the rest.

Regulator

« Reply #45 on: 18 August, 2023, 09:22:02 am »

AF only showed once on the ECG done at the hospital...   that was an episode that lasted about 30 hours and necessitated an admission. 

The other two times, I arrived there in AF but by the time I was seen and given an ECG it had subsided.  However, my Apple Watch had recorded the episodes so they had something to go on.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #46 on: 18 August, 2023, 09:22:50 am »
The consultant fees are usually a small part of it.  My eyes were about £5000 each.  The consultant got about £800 and the anaesthetist £500.  The hospital got the rest.

The consultant's bill arrived today - £1,450, which I thought wasn't too bad (but then I'm not paying it  ;D )

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #47 on: 03 December, 2023, 10:20:29 am »
How Sean Yates deals with his health from about 54:45 in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9lWu2376To

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #48 on: 03 December, 2023, 12:17:10 pm »

The consultant's bill arrived today - £1,450, which I thought wasn't too bad (but then I'm not paying it  ;D )

We spent more on the late, lamented Big Tom in October...

« Reply #49 on: 03 December, 2023, 03:06:02 pm »

The joys of private health care insurance.